Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

New turf installed

The Colts installed this same turf at the practice facility in April, including the indoor and outdoor fields. And apparently the infill they're using is organic, and needs to be watered?? There's no drainage at LOS, so I wonder how they worked that out. Maybe the amount of water used doesn't require significant drainage... I can't find a direct answer on that.

http://www.hellasconstruction.com/2024/april/indianapolis-colts-choose-hellas-matrix-helix-turf-geo-coolfill-and-cushdrain-for-safety-and-performance-enhancement/

Also this article includes a reference to a study that appears to indicate there's no major injury difference between the monofilament turf being installed at LOS and natural grass. In fact, the Titans recently switched from natural grass to the same Matrix Helix with the same fill and cushion being used at LOS. 

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2023/10/04/why-the-indianapolis-colts-wont-switch-to-grass-at-lucas-oil-stadium/71007554007/

Zach Binney, an assistant professor of quantitative theory and methods at Emory University, found through research conducted with analyst Aaron Schatz between 2018-21 that the slit-film turf surface at Lucas Oil Stadium is associated with about a 7% increase of lower-body injuries that led to missing at least one game. His research found there was no major difference to injuries between monofilament-style turf and natural grass.  

The NFLPA has an issue with the slit-film turf Indianapolis uses, which is a thicker style of turf blade that can be pulled apart into smaller blades, according to ATX Turf. The slit-film turf blades will fray over the years and contribute to a flatter surface and faster ball movement. Monofilament turf has thinner, singular blades that will not pull apart. These blades will stand up straighter than slit-film turf and have a slower ball movement. The NFLPA said in November 2022 that, at the very least, it is demanding teams change from slit-film to monofilament turf to decrease the chance of injuries.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

That’s what I thought. I have never seen a close up of the old turf like this but pretty sure it didn’t look like this. It looked like cement underneath.

I’ve been on the field before. The old turf was not like that at all. It honestly felt like being on a track. No give and very hard.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Superman said:

The Colts installed this same turf at the practice facility in April, including the indoor and outdoor fields. And apparently the infill they're using is organic, and needs to be watered?? There's no drainage at LOS, so I wonder how they worked that out. Maybe the amount of water used doesn't require significant drainage... I can't find a direct answer on that.

http://www.hellasconstruction.com/2024/april/indianapolis-colts-choose-hellas-matrix-helix-turf-geo-coolfill-and-cushdrain-for-safety-and-performance-enhancement/

Also this article includes a reference to a study that appears to indicate there's no major injury difference between the monofilament turf being installed at LOS and natural grass. In fact, the Titans recently switched from natural grass to the same Matrix Helix with the same fill and cushion being used at LOS. 

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2023/10/04/why-the-indianapolis-colts-wont-switch-to-grass-at-lucas-oil-stadium/71007554007/

No but the old style turf was linked to an increase in non contact injuries