Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Interesting Take On This Years Defensive Line From Assistant GM Dodds

35 minutes ago, Dingus McGirt said:

And the second time as well?

I believe the second time the Giants were running their Nascar package, not sure about the first time though?   I could easily be wrong though...

• Like 1

Davis could be the key between unit being very good and being elite. With Grove out wer struggled last season as Bryan underachieved, Johnson didnt develop and Tomy had rookie struggles. We are asking Davis to play a role he hasnt attempted before but has the physical abilities to succeed.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, holeymoley99 said:

Davis could be the key between unit being very good and being elite. With Grove out wer struggled last season as Bryan underachieved, Johnson didnt develop and Tomy had rookie struggles. We are asking Davis to play a role he hasnt attempted before but has the physical abilities to succeed.

Bryan was playing out of position, by necessity.   I’m surprised they brought him back, but I guess they see something in him that I don’t.   

With Davis and Grove, we should be pretty good stopping them on 4th and inches.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, holeymoley99 said:

Davis was the obvious target in FA as he was quickly signed to a two year contract shortly after FA started.  That was a position that really wanted to add to with a quality player and I think they did just that.  I’m sure they never imagined Latu would also fall into their laps during the draft.  So now this line is really set up to have a chance at really being elite. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, TheNewGuy said:

This is from another site's website where they critiqued the starting Defense for this upcoming year, post minicamp.  I will post the full article's link but wanted to point out what Dodds said about the Defensive Line.  It goes with Ballard's and Bradley's supposed vision of "waves" of defensive lineman, to keep everyone fresh.

"Last season, Ebukam and Paye both out-snapped Dayo Odeyingbo, so I did have Latu taking his spot as the third defensive end for the time being. With that said, this is a position group that will be rotated heavily, with Odeyingbo still being an important part of the defense. Colts assistant GM Ed Dodds recently compared the Colts’ defensive line depth to a line rotation like we see in hockey.

“That’s what we’ve been striving for, is to get a legitimate eight guys who can rotate almost like hockey, ‘Hey you four out, you four in,’ and not have a big drop off at all,” Dodds said."

https://coltswire.usatoday.com/lists/projecting-colts-starting-defense-following-minicamp/

Ballard/Dodds professed this goal when they came here.

I feel really good that they have it.

Feel the same with our receiving core.

Feel really good about AR.

TE possible

RB depth iffy

LB no

DB Noo

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DattMavis said:

I'm so excited to see this group, but can Gus please throw in a few more blitzes? Keep the opponents guessing, rather than them being certain we're only ever rushing 4.

Kenny was our best at blitzing. If it failed, our secondary was probably done. Bradley (not defending him) did what he could afford to do with the talent we had. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, holeymoley99 said:

Davis' impact is being slept on here I think.  If Latu pops it has best in the league potential 

• Like 1

On 6/9/2024 at 4:59 PM, Smonroe said:

That's how the Giants beat the undefeated Patriots in the Super Bowl.

It is more like how the Seahawks defeated the Broncos. They went 7 or 8 deep on their DL. There were 1 or 2 household names but their 2013 collection as a unit of 7 or 8 was better than the Giants collection of 7 or 8 though the Giants' starting 4 were ALL household names.

The Giants primarily featured their front 4 but Spags augmented it with great safety and LB blitzing. Yes, there were rotational DL that contributed but the starting 4 still played heavy minutes unlike with the Seahawks.

The difference was the Seahawks DL got more help from the Legion of Boom than the Giants' DL got with a good but not great secondary like the Seahawks. To make up for that, Spags blitzed in a timely fashion with LBs Antonio Pierce, Kawika Mitchell that played great roles. Our secondary has to be at least good to very good, if not elite, for our D to play at a high level with the DL investments paying off.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I don’t care what anyone thinks I think colts have one of the deeper and better dlines in the league.

Honestly, it may be our biggest strength on the entire team after adding Latu. The only concern is how much we will blitz with Gus Bradley as the D-Coordinator. If we get pressure, we can duplicate last year again IMO. 

• Like 2

On 6/9/2024 at 1:30 PM, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I don’t care what anyone thinks I think colts have one of the deeper and better dlines in the league.

The D-line personnel remain to be seen. My concern is whether or not Gus Bradley has the capacity to orchestrate the talent we have to best advantage. I'm skeptical. I feel Bradley is too dogmatic and ideological in his philosophy to use the tools he has.

In short, he can't see what he won't see, and I don't know if anyone on the team has the ability to change that.

• Like 2

Doesn't every team make a different version of this statement about DL depth? JMO, it doesn't seem like anything new to me, especially not with Ballard running the front office. 

What actually matters I think is whether we have game changing pass rushers, and whether Davis can be impactful from the inside, either at NT or at 1 tech. Davis is decent, I don't have super high hopes for him though. I hope our edge rushers can really get pressure and finish with sacks. And I hope the front can hold up against the run, especially if/when there's an injury to Buck or Grove.

I don't expect the pass rush to get any help from the defensive play calling, so it's going to have to be about technique and matchups, I think. And maybe Paye, Dayo, Ebukam actually play better, and maybe Latu can contribute as a rookie. 

Either way, I think the DL is pretty good.

• Like 2

Depth has not been the main problem of this defensive line IMO. We've always had solid depth, which is something that's in the Ballard's fundamental philosophy. What we have lacked is top tier talent, especially on the EDGE. Lets hope Laiatu changes that... 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Superman said:

Doesn't every team make a different version of this statement about DL depth? JMO, it doesn't seem like anything new to me, especially not with Ballard running the front office. 

What actually matters I think is whether we have game changing pass rushers, and whether Davis can be impactful from the inside, either at NT or at 1 tech. Davis is decent, I don't have super high hopes for him though. I hope our edge rushers can really get pressure and finish with sacks. And I hope the front can hold up against the run, especially if/when there's an injury to Buck or Grove.

I don't expect the pass rush to get any help from the defensive play calling, so it's going to have to be about technique and matchups, I think. And maybe Paye, Dayo, Ebukam actually play better, and maybe Latu can contribute as a rookie. 

Either way, I think the DL is pretty good.

I have never heard any team refer to defensive line depth in terms of hockey lines.  I have been a NFL fan for quite some time and found it to be a new way to describe it, or it was at least new to me.  Plus, hockey lines usually swap out all players on the line at the same time, that is what intrigued me.  I am not sure if Dodds meant that or not?  Looking forward to how it all shakes out.

5 minutes ago, TheNewGuy said:

I have never heard any team refer to defensive line depth in terms of hockey lines.  I have been a NFL fan for quite some time and found it to be a new way to describe it, or at least to me.  Plus, hockey lines usually swap out all players on the line at the same time, that is what intrigued me.  I am not sure if Dodds meant that or not?  Looking forward to how it all shakes out.

Got it, you're just talking about that specific terminology. I think I have heard that before in the NFL, although I couldn't say for sure who/when. Just doesn't seem like a new idea to me.

Based on the quote you shared in the OP, I would assume Dodds didn't mean it literally, like they'd swap out the DL four at a time all the time. I just think they want to have a high quality second unit.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Superman said:

Got it, you're just talking about that specific terminology. I think I have heard that before in the NFL, although I couldn't say for sure who/when. Just doesn't seem like a new idea to me.

Based on the quote you shared in the OP, I would assume Dodds didn't mean it literally, like they'd swap out the DL four at a time all the time. I just think they want to have a high quality second unit.

Thanks for the knowledge about hearing it before, much appreciated. I too don't necessarily think Dodds meant it literally, but it sure would be a great weapon against the better passers in the league.

Gus had a line like this more than once. He had it in Seattle and in Jax. I remember that Jax squad coming in here and sacking Jacoby Brisette about 10-15 times in that one crazy game. The question mark really is what we have or will have in the secondary. If it's good enough or not to compliment the rushers.

• Like 2