Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts 2024 season by opposing QB

First two games against Stroud and Love will tell us if the Colt's D has improved (or not).

There's a bump in the middle with with Allen, Rodgers, and Goff.

The last five games look winnable:  Maye, Nix, Levis, Jones, Lawrence.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

There was so much talk last year about part of our success came from a weak schedule plus poor quarterbacks Indy faced.  

So I thought I’d show our 24 schedule and feature the quarterbacks we face:

1.  Hou — Stroud

2.  GrB — Love

3.  Chi  — Williams

4.  Pit   — Wilson

5.  Jax  — Lawrence

6.  Ten. — Levis 

7.  Mia  — Tua

8.  Hou — Stroud

9.  Min  — McCarthy

10. Buf. — Allen

11.  NYJ — Rodgers

12.  Det — Goff

13.  NE. — Maye

14.  BYE
15. Den — Nix

16. Ten — Levis

17.  NYG — Jones

18.  Jax. — Lawrence

Four rookies:  Williams, McCarthy, Maye, Nix.  
Two 2nd year QBs:  Stroud, Levis

Two young veterans:  Lawrence, Tua

Four Vets of various years:  Allen, Rodgers,  Goff, Wilson

That’s a total of 12. 

Lawrence, Stroud, Levis the Colts face X2.  That’s a total of 15. 

Then Love and Jones round out the 17 QBs the Colts face.   Sure feels like a tougher schedule of QBs than we faced last year. 

I think it will be Justin Fields over Wilson.    

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ChuggaBeer said:

I think it will be Justin Fields over Wilson.    

You may eventually be right.  But so far, everything I’m reading has Wilson ahead of Fields.  Whether it stays that way is too soon to know yet.  

• Like 2

Right about half of them good to very good (IMHO).  

Rookies may be good, ala Stroud, but it's too early to tell.

It will be interesting to revisit your post at the end of the season to see how many we actually faced and who did the best/worst against our defense.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I agree, playing the Texans on game 1 with a whole summer to prepare will show us a great deal. Will Ryans outcoach Shane? What kind of game shape will Richardson be even after the preseason. Will Pierce be a factor and will Mitchell and Gould be ready for primetime. Will the young DB's be good enough and will the pass rush improve on stats more that just sacks but hurries and pressure.  Lots to look forward to and it will be a test for our beloved team  

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, indyagent17 said:

I agree, playing the Texans on game 1 with a whole summer to prepare will show us a great deal. Will Ryans outcoach Shane? What kind of game shape will Richardson be even after the preseason. Will Pierce be a factor and will Mitchell and Gould be ready for primetime. Will the young DB's be good enough and will the pass rush improve on stats more that just sacks but hurries and pressure.  Lots to look forward to and it will be a test for our beloved team  

I’m hoping we have a vet FS by game one.  We don’t want a repeat of our last game.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Superman said:

We didn't have Blackmon in the last game.

True, and he probably would have made the difference.  But he's not a FS.  I'm not sure we have one on the roster, unless they're counting on a rookie.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

True, and he probably would have made the difference.  But he's not a FS.  I'm not sure we have one on the roster, unless they're counting on a rookie.

I think he's a better FS than what we had at the end of the season last year. I would like the back end to be better also, but I'll count Blackmon as an improvement over who we had out there in Week 18. I'm also hopeful that the pass rush will be a little better.

I love this opener, by the way. It's the same way I felt about getting to Jacksonville early in 2022. Heat check right at the beginning of the season, a chance for the team to face their demons, so to speak. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

I think Darnold will be the QB. I'd like McCarthy to have a red-ahirt year.

If there's a team JJ can start right away on though, it's you guys. Between Jefferson, Addison, and TJ, he can just throw the ball up and someone will catch it. 😂

Watching his film though, he does tend to under throw receivers deep. It's weird, because he was the best QB on third down, and he was so accurate on short and intermediate depth throws. Likely needs some time in the weight room, so a redshirt wouldn't be the worst thing.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NFLfan said:

I think Darnold will be the QB. I'd like McCarthy to have a red-shirt year.

Yeah….

I thought of you when I write this!   

But since the game comes roughly the middle of the season I thought the Vikings might only give McCarthy a half a redshirt season.  Thought they might want to give the second half of the season to their rookie QB draft pick.  So I split the difference.   

Honestly….  Just a guess….   

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Yeah….

I thought of you when I write this!   

But since the game comes roughly the middle of the season I thought the Vikings might only give McCarthy a half a redshirt season.  Thought they might want to give the second half of the season to their rookie QB draft pick.  So I split the difference.   

Honestly….  Just a guess….   

As bad as darnold is McCarthy  may start right away 

1 hour ago, Stephen said:

As bad as darnold is McCarthy  may start right away 

Yeah, he may.  No way to know.  I’m sure it’s the decision of both the GM and the HC.   If they say McCarthy starts week one, that’s what they’ll do.  

I was just trying to split the difference for our friend @NFLfan who I know wants JJ to have a redshirt year. 

• Thanks 1

On 5/17/2024 at 11:01 AM, NewColtsFan said:

You may eventually be right.  But so far, everything I’m reading has Wilson ahead of Fields.  Whether it stays that way is too soon to know yet.  

I understand.    But IMO Wilson is and always has been full of himself.   That will come back to bite him, and  Fields is hungry!!! 

Steelers have a QB and it's Justin Fields.     I am on record as a NON Wilson fan.   I always thought it was a terrible move by the Donks.  

45 minutes ago, ChuggaBeer said:

I understand.    But IMO Wilson is and always has been full of himself.   That will come back to bite him, and  Fields is hungry!!! 

Steelers have a QB and it's Justin Fields.     I am on record as a NON Wilson fan.   I always thought it was a terrible move by the Donks.  

Interesting….   I think Pittsburg getting rid of their 2023 QB room, Pickett and the backup and bringing in Wilson AND Fields for next to nothing is (IMO) the best off-season transformation by any NFL team including the Colts.   

Wilson AND Fields for almost nothing?!?   Yes,  please!   

FWIW:  Fields is being used in camp as a returner.  Punt for sure and I think kickoffs as well.   

6 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Interesting….   I think Pittsburg getting rid of their 2023 QB room, Pickett and the backup and bringing in Wilson AND Fields for next to nothing is (IMO) the best off-season transformation by any NFL team including the Colts.   

FWIW:  Fields is being used in camp as a returner.  Punt for sure and I think kickoffs as well.   

Yep. Even if it goes down in flames, it’s only for a year and they can draft a QB next year and have Fields start in the meantime. I honestly don’t see any negatives to what they’re doing. 

As much as I hate admitting it, it really shows how well run of an organization they are. They don’t just keep status quo for the sake of continuity, they’re consistent because they always hire the right coaches and GMs for the job. 

• Like 1

On 5/17/2024 at 3:17 AM, NewColtsFan said:

There was so much talk last year about part of our success came from a weak schedule plus poor quarterbacks Indy faced.  

1.  Hou — Stroud

2.  GrB — Love

3.  Chi  — Williams

4.  Pit   — Wilson

5.  Jax  — Lawrence

6.  Ten. — Levis 

7.  Mia  — Tua

8.  Hou — Stroud

9.  Min  — McCarthy

10. Buf. — Allen

11.  NYJ — Rodgers

12.  Det — Goff

13.  NE. — Maye

14.  BYE
15. Den — Nix

16. Ten — Levis

17.  NYG — Jones

18.  Jax. — Lawrence

That’s a total of 12. 

Then Love and Jones round out the 17 QBs the Colts face.   Sure feels like a tougher schedule of QBs than we faced last year. 

It is, at face value.  Injuries may have an effect.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I agree fields as Richardson  backup  would have been nice

On 5/17/2024 at 3:17 AM, NewColtsFan said:

1.  Hou — Stroud

2.  GrB — Love

3.  Chi  — Williams

4.  Pit   — Wilson

5.  Jax  — Lawrence

6.  Ten. — Levis 

7.  Mia  — Tua

8.  Hou — Stroud

9.  Min  — McCarthy

10. Buf. — Allen

11.  NYJ — Rodgers

12.  Det — Goff

13.  NE. — Maye

14.  BYE
15. Den — Nix

16. Ten — Levis

17.  NYG — Jones

18.  Jax. — Lawrence

That’s a total of 12. 

Agree. It is significantly tougher on paper. There are 4 rookies, but two of them were top 3 picks. Williams is going to prob the best situation a rookie QB has ever had. And he happens to be the best QB prospect in years. The rest will be later in the season, which can make a huge difference for a rookie QB.

Daniel Jones is the only scrub vet. Wilson isn't what he used to be, but PIT is a good team and Wilson is certainly an improvement.

The rest have shown they can play high-level QB, except Levis. But just like AR, Levis could make a nice jump and TEN could suddenly be a problem again.

Considering they won 9 games last year, the schedule is a huge variable for a small margin of error. Which is why I can see the win total anywhere from 6-10. 

• Like 1

On 5/19/2024 at 9:03 PM, RollerColt said:

I’d say if JJ ends up being further ahead than expected and excels during training camp, the Vikes may start him similar to what we did with Richardson. 

Barring injuries, I think they will be facing every rookie QB on that schedule.

16 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Yeah, I don't think their QB problem is completely solved, but going from Pickett/Trubisky for Wilson/Fields, for less money and basically some pick swaps? That's great work. Even if Wilson is cooked and Fields is a mess, there's way more upside with Fields alone, not to mention a potential baseline level of competence that Wilson might provide if he's not completely done.

Even if Wilson is pretty good, I think they'll want to get Fields on the field for meaningful snaps, just to see what they might have before he hits free agency. He's too talented to let him ride the bench all season.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, shasta519 said:

Barring injuries, I think they will be facing every rookie QB on that schedule.

I think that's a fair and accurate statement. Even Maye could be thrust into the role if the Patriots season is essentially cooked by our matchup. 

19 hours ago, RollerColt said:

I think that's a fair and accurate statement. Even Maye could be thrust into the role if the Patriots season is essentially cooked by our matchup. 

Yep. MIN risked a lot drafting McCarthy. I think they have big plans for him. Might ease him in, but after the first few games, I think he's playing.

Maye is a top 3 pick. Just look at last year, where Young, Stroud and AR were all Day 1 starters.

Nix is sort of the wildcard. But I think DEN is going to be a bad team in a division they have little chance of winning, so why wouldn't he play.

Seems like 3-4 rookie QBs starting might be the norm now.

3 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

Yep. MIN risked a lot drafting McCarthy. I think they have big plans for him. Might ease him in, but after the first few games, I think he's playing.

Maye is a top 3 pick. Just look at last year, where Young, Stroud and AR were all Day 1 starters.

Nix is sort of the wildcard. But I think DEN is going to be a bad team in a division they have little chance of winning, so why wouldn't he play.

Seems like 3-4 rookie QBs starting might be the norm now.

Not to mention that Denver’s QB room is so bad they might not have a choice. Nix walking in is already better than the rest of those QBs.