Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Rewatched 2023 Season

Impressed in how Steichen and coaches kept the team positive, especially after the catastrophe of 2022.

Minshew was fine but not great. His shortcomings led to some losses including the last play of the season. At the end of the day, I am glad we had Minshew as our backup. He was a positive influence in the locker and QB room.

These Defensive players underperformed and led to penalties and loses:  Baker, T. Brown, Shaq. Our safeties are key weakness.

We have quantities of average TEs with alot of Potential. We need someone to step up. Could use a veteran free agent.

• Like 8

Yeah, I think we over performed considering the talent at QB and the defense.  Which is a credit to the coaching staff.

Woods never really played and he's a difference maker at TE, very hard to cover.  They really didn't utilize Pierce to his full advantage, mainly due to Minshew's arm.  MPJ is a solid WR, but I wouldn't consider him a playmaker.  But I do consider him a first down maker.

The D was bad.  Even though they set a record for sacks, the QB pressure was noticeably poor.  Safety was a glaring weakness late in the season.  Cost us the Texans game.  In retrospect, it may have been a good thing though.  Latu is going to shake things up.

Still, Ballard has to address FS.  I know there's time and guys available.  I hope it gets done.  I think it's the only really bad position on the team.  I could live with the CBs.

• Like 3

The best thing the staff did was cut Leonard. That set a clear tone that you either perform or you don't. We did have the luxury of still having two quality starting linebackers so that eased the pain of his loss.

I firmly believe had we not lost Flowers to the IR and Rodgers to Suspension that Baker would have absolutely been cut. As it is Baker is likely on the outside looking in with the additions of Abraham and Simpson, Moore being the stud he is and plus the healthy return of Flowers and the uptick in in-game ability of Brents and Jones. 

Woods being on the IR all of last year hurt, but it allowed Mallory and Ogletree to grow. TE's have a hard transition from College to the Pro level and usually year 2-3 is when they start to really take off. We have talent there in that room and SS will creatively use it!

WR's...........Downs will continue to excel and grow in the slot and will become electric. MPJ is a Reggie Wayne technician type that will move the sticks and occasionally add in a big play - a much-needed type on the outside. AP ran the most go routes of any WR last year, but Minshew could not throw him open or hit him downfield when he was, that is not on AP as he was doing as was scripted by SS. He is our vertical threat that opens up the underneath routes for the TE's, Downs and MPJ. Add in AD now as the all-around WR that can take the top off, run with it after the catch and run a full route tree at full speed and they all complement each other very well! Add in a (hopefully) healthy AR5 and that can become a dynamic group of receivers!

Safety - an outside free agent isn't always the answer. And it's going to be a player on the downside of his career as a stop gap. Simmons is not coming to our rescue. He will likely go to a sure-fire contender. However, there are still a few 30+ guys that could be a good stopgap on a one-year deal. If I had my choice though, I'd go with a younger guy that may still have a few years of juice left in him like a Terrell Edmunds!

The team definitely overachieved last year.

Teams figured out pretty quickly that they could just crowd the line and press WR since Minshew relied on the short passes. 

That in turn also hurt the run game, because team just stacked the box and dared Minschew to throw. I will give him credit, Minshew is tough, and his attitude is A+ and the team lived and died by the way he played. 

Franklin is a beast, but seemed like he wore down as season went on. They took way too long to cut Leonard.

Totally agree with above. Safety needs addressed badly. Thomas is a liability, and Blackmon wasn't always healthy. Not sure what we have in Cross either. 

I am excited to see Woods and Ogletree out there at the same time. I was impressed with Mallory as well. 

Would like to see more competition at RB as well, esp after losing Moss. After JT, the stable isn't scaring anyone. 

• Like 1

it was a very stressful year to say the least. Richardson showed promise but he needs to quit high stepping and just get into the endzone at full speed. Minshew has a below average arm and accuracy and was ranked 32nd out of 32 starting QB's. The defense bent but came up big to get wins when the offense stuttered. Pierce was underused and he would be wide open and Minshew rarely saw him and most passes were contested because of late awareness and not a very strong arm. Now look at what a full season of Richardson will look like. AR has the arm strength and awareness and he can freeze linebackers and safeties with his running threat. Taylor should have a much better season now that the line cant just crowd the line. Richardson needs to work on accuracy but that is teachable, his other traits are God given talents. Hoping for a magical season here in Indy 

21 hours ago, AustexColt said:

Impressed in how Steichen and coaches kept the team positive, especially after the catastrophe of 2022.

Minshew was fine but not great. His shortcomings led to some losses including the last play of the season. At the end of the day, I am glad we had Minshew as our backup. He was a positive influence in the locker and QB room.

These Defensive players underperformed and led to penalties and loses:  Baker, T. Brown, Shaq. Our safeties are key weakness.

We have quantities of average TEs with alot of Potential. We need someone to step up. Could use a veteran free agent.

It wasn't just those defensive players underperforming. They allowed the 5th most ppg. 

• Like 1

I think our team overachieved a little last year and were helped by a historic amount of injured QBs and a weak schedule. 

This season will depend on AR and if our secondary improves enough like our FO hopes. Honestly, I’m a little disappointed we didn’t bring in a good CB and FS. 

I do LOVE our rookies and hope they can take this team up a tier (or more of course). 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, indyagent17 said:

it was a very stressful year to say the least. Richardson showed promise but he needs to quit high stepping and just get into the endzone at full speed. Minshew has a below average arm and accuracy and was ranked 32nd out of 32 starting QB's. The defense bent but came up big to get wins when the offense stuttered. Pierce was underused and he would be wide open and Minshew rarely saw him and most passes were contested because of late awareness and not a very strong arm. Now look at what a full season of Richardson will look like. AR has the arm strength and awareness and he can freeze linebackers and safeties with his running threat. Taylor should have a much better season now that the line cant just crowd the line. Richardson needs to work on accuracy but that is teachable, his other traits are God given talents. Hoping for a magical season here in Indy 

The Minshew slander is out of hand. Which podcast or blogger is peddling that nonsense? Minshew was not ranked #32 out of 32 starting QBs. Did you not see all the bad QBs that played last year...cause the Colts faced several of them. 

And even with facing so many bad QBs, the defense still disappeared in their fair share of games. Not sure why they get a pass.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, lollygagger8 said:

The team definitely overachieved last year.

Teams figured out pretty quickly that they could just crowd the line and press WR since Minshew relied on the short passes. 

That in turn also hurt the run game, because team just stacked the box and dared Minschew to throw. I will give him credit, Minshew is tough, and his attitude is A+ and the team lived and died by the way he played. 

Franklin is a beast, but seemed like he wore down as season went on. They took way too long to cut Leonard.

Totally agree with above. Safety needs addressed badly. Thomas is a liability, and Blackmon wasn't always healthy. Not sure what we have in Cross either. 

I am excited to see Woods and Ogletree out there at the same time. I was impressed with Mallory as well. 

Would like to see more competition at RB as well, esp after losing Moss. After JT, the stable isn't scaring anyone. 

Neither JT or Moss were top 50 in facing stacked fronts though. They faced light fronts more than anything. So it shouldn't have really been an issue. For the second year in a row, JT wasn't his 2021 self (outside of some flashes).

Safety is a huge need. I don't think it's a stretch to say they don't have a legit FS on the roster. Thomas is bad, Cross is a SS, Blackmon is clearly a SS. Having a vet back there would be huge. But I think they want to give Cross a shot.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

The Minshew slander is out of hand. Which podcast or blogger is peddling that nonsense? Minshew was not ranked #32 out of 32 starting QBs. Did you not see all the bad QBs that played last year...cause the Colts faced several of them. 

And even with facing so many bad QBs, the defense still disappeared in their fair share of games. Not sure why they get a pass.

NFL Rankings has him at 32. The sporting news ranks him26th, 23rd by MSN sports 27th Roto Baller and I can go on. Yes I’m bashing Minshew he lost us games with bad decisions and a weaker arm. I’m sure not gonna be happy with a quarterback that ranks in the bottom third of the league it’s your opinion it’s my opinion but I’m sure not looking back on 2023 with fondness with him as quarterback.

50 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

Bryce Young was possibly the very worst QB last year. Add Zach Wilson and that other QB from the Jets not named Rodgers. Oh and special shout out for sucking like normal: Bryan Hoyer. 

QB Index of NFL had Minshew as 24th. 

• Like 3

Just now, RollerColt said:

Bryce Young was possibly the very worst QB last year. Add Zach Wilson and that other QB from the Jets not named Rodgers. Oh and special shout out for sucking like normal: Bryan Hoyer. 

I take it back he was a wonderful QB in the bottom third of the league

• Like 2

Just now, indyagent17 said:

I take it back he was a wonderful QB in the bottom third of the league

Naw fam. You do you. He was pretty horrible too. I'm just saying there were some others much, much worse. 

Watch tape on Zach Wilson. Biggest con ever to convince the Jets to waste a 2nd overall on him. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

The best thing the staff did was cut Leonard. That set a clear tone that you either perform or you don't. We did have the luxury of still having two quality starting linebackers so that eased the pain of his loss.

I agree with this in general, even though I pushed back on the Leonard release at the time. However, the defense's ability to cover the middle of the field didn't really improve. My point is that Leonard doesn't bear all the sins of the LBs, and the guys who are still here -- particularly Franklin -- definitely need to be better in coverage.

The secondary is still a question mark. The hope is that we get back some of the more talented players, and it raises the level of play. But I thought we needed another veteran; we still don't have one, and Ballard has indicated that they're not in a hurry to make any new acquisitions. So it's up to the guys in the building to step it up considerably. Similar thinking from me on the pass rush, although we added Latu.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

I think our team overachieved a little last year and were helped by a historic amount of injured QBs and a weak schedule. 

This season will depend on AR and if our secondary improves enough like our FO hopes. Honestly, I’m a little disappointed we didn’t bring in a good CB and FS. 

I do LOVE our rookies and hopes they can take this team up a tier (or more of course). 

Latu looks like an immediate contributor, especially on passing downs. I think AD will supplant Pierce by season's end. The OL depth will come in handy.

The Colts certainly improved through the draft, but so did other teams as well. I don't think they improved more than other teams. But more importantly, I am not sure the ceiling of this team (outside of AR of course) raised all that much this offseason. And that's what I was hoping to see. This has been my "grievance" with Ballard. Relying almost solely on current players and younger guys to develop (like the rookies and DBs). They aren't really accounting for other team's improving...or for the difference in schedule IMO (like HOU did with their offseason moves).

I guess it all depends on how one viewed last season...and where you think the current floor is. But I agree that they overachieved...and that opponent QBs played a big role in that. Many of the bad QBs they faced either gave away games or just weren't competitive. And that's tough to bank on happening again.

The margin for error is pretty small when you are a 9-win team looking to make the playoffs. And having a few games flip from being easy one year to more challenging the next...could be the difference between 5-6 wins and 9-10 wins.

It really is going to come down to AR. Can he stay healthy? Can he reach his upside? It's always going to come down to this anyways, but there are certainly outcomes between great and bad where a good overall roster can make the difference.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

The Colts certainly improved through the draft, but so did other teams as well. I don't think they improved more than other teams. But more importantly, I am not sure the ceiling of this team (outside of AR of course) raised all that much this offseason. And that's what I was hoping to see. This has been my "grievance" with Ballard. Relying almost solely on current players and younger guys to develop (like the rookies and DBs). They aren't really accounting for other team's improving...or for the difference in schedule IMO (like HOU did with their offseason moves).

This is one of my grievances with Ballard as well. Another is his tendency to (in my opinion) overvalue his own draft picks.

I get that continuity is important, but Stewart is going into his 8th season here, Moore his 8th, Franklin his 7th, Speed his 6th, Paye and Dayo their 4th. At some point the talent just is what it is and if that isn't good enough, you need to move on.  

41 minutes ago, indyagent17 said:

NFL Rankings has him at 32. The sporting news ranks him26th, 23rd by MSN sports 27th Roto Baller and I can go on. Yes I’m bashing Minshew he lost us games with bad decisions and a weaker arm. I’m sure not gonna be happy with a quarterback that ranks in the bottom third of the league it’s your opinion it’s my opinion but I’m sure not looking back on 2023 with fondness with him as quarterback.

NFL.com ranked him #24 out of 66 QBs: https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-qb-index-ranking-all-66-starting-quarterbacks-from-the-2023-nfl-season

Saying he ranked #32 out of 32 starting QBs implies that he was the worst starting QB last year. And that was why you referenced it...to scapegoat him.

Never mind that the defense were 28th in ppg allowed against one of the easiest schedules on defense. And the offense (led by Minshew) was 11th in ppg against a much tougher schedule.

That #32 ranking is either someone's uninformed opinion or just made-up...because no metrics support this. That was not the level of QB play they got last year. If you think he's a bottom third tier QB, I can understand that. I am not saying he's this great QB or that I wish he was still here. I am saying he wasn't the problem last year. 

7 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

NFL.com ranked him #24 out of 66 QBs: https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-qb-index-ranking-all-66-starting-quarterbacks-from-the-2023-nfl-season

Saying he ranked #32 out of 32 starting QBs implies that he was the worst starting QB last year. And that was why you referenced it...to scapegoat him.

Never mind that the defense were 28th in ppg allowed against one of the easiest schedules on defense. And the offense (led by Minshew) was 11th in ppg against a much tougher schedule.

That #32 ranking is either someone's uninformed opinion or just made-up...because no metrics support this. That was not the level of QB play they got last year. If you think he's a bottom third tier QB, I can understand that. I am not saying he's this great QB or that I wish he was still here. I am saying he wasn't the problem last year. 

We differ on this but we are all allowed to have opinions 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

This is one of my grievances with Ballard as well. Another is his tendency to (in my opinion) overvalue his own draft picks.

I get that continuity is important, but Stewart is going into his 8th season here, Moore his 8th, Franklin his 7th, Speed his 6th, Paye and Dayo their 4th. At some point the talent just is what it is and if that isn't good enough, you need to move on.  

Especially in the NFL where players age out fast. You have to move on from some...or the very least...add to them.

Keeping the same core in tact for several years is something a SB contender might entertain. But that's because they typically have a proven franchise QB and have established a very high floor. The Colts have neither right now. And even then, we see what happens to these teams. The Manning teams went from a SB to a 2-win team in two years. Not saying the Colts will suffer that fate again, but there is considerable downside.

When you haven't established that floor, it seems like doing the same thing and expecting different results. And it does result in overvaluing the impact of your own draft picks. This has even trickled down into the fanbase as well. We see it every offseason with how these guys are hyped before taking a snap. I don't remember ever hearing this much about Colts rookies until Ballard got here. The content is great, but it's just so much unchecked hype.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RollerColt said:

Don't forget PJ Walker's short stint in CLE. And we even managed to get a 3-game cameo from Mitch Trubisky. I think that would be my choice for the worst starting QB last year. PIT managed to lose to two teams picking top 3 with Trubisky.

It might have been the worst year for QBs that I can remember. And there is plenty to criticize Minshew about...I just take issue with things that are objectively incorrect. Like we saw what having arguably the worst QB room in the NFL looked like just two years ago. Minshew wasn't that at all.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

Don't forget PJ Walker's short stint in CLE. And we even managed to get a 3-game cameo from Mitch Trubisky. I think that would be my choice for the worst starting QB last year. PIT managed to lose to two teams picking top 3 with Trubisky.

It might have been the worst year for QBs that I can remember. And there is plenty to criticize Minshew about...I just take issue with things that are objectively incorrect. Like we saw what having arguably the worst QB room in the NFL looked like just two years ago. Minshew wasn't that at all.

Without a doubt one of the worst years for QBs in my lifetime. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

The problem, no. A part of the problem, most definitely. 

Minshew's play can be classified in a lot of ways. I'm not interested in scapegoating him, he actually did a pretty good job of filling in as the starter; I'm also not comparing him to anyone else, including Richardson. But to keep it as simple as possible, Minshew's limitations definitely held the offense back at various points of the season. We saw his ceiling, we know what he can do and what he can't do. It's really great to have a backup like Minshew. It's not so great to have a starter like Minshew for almost the entire season.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Superman said:

The problem, no. A part of the problem, most definitely. 

Minshew's play can be classified in a lot of ways. I'm not interested in scapegoating him, he actually did a pretty good job of filling in as the starter; I'm also not comparing him to anyone else, including Richardson. But to keep it as simple as possible, Minshew's limitations definitely held the offense back at various points of the season. We saw his ceiling, we know what he can do and what he can't do. It's really great to have a backup like Minshew. It's not so great to have a starter like Minshew for almost the entire season.

I don't disagree. Minshew has clear limitations. He's a fringe starter/backup for a reason. But he signed for very little to help AR transition to the NFL and, if needed, come in and execute Steichen's offense and keep them in games. Most people loved the signing at the time as I recall.

And by all accounts, he far exceeded expectations, especially on the field. He had to play the majority of 15 games (started 13)...and they won 9 of those games. He did well enough to earn a 2/$25M deal this offseason to go fill that role elsewhere.

I guess, relative to what happened last year at the QB position in the NFL (including the Colts), it was actually pretty great to have Minshew. That's why I never really understood the narrative about how they were close to making the playoffs in spite of Minshew. 

2 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

I don't disagree. Minshew has clear limitations. He's a fringe starter/backup for a reason. But he signed for very little to help AR transition to the NFL and, if needed, come in and execute Steichen's offense and keep them in games. Most people loved the signing at the time as I recall.

And by all accounts, he far exceeded expectations, especially on the field. He had to play the majority of 15 games (started 13)...and they won 9 of those games. He did well enough to earn a 2/$25M deal this offseason to go fill that role elsewhere.

I guess, relative to what happened last year at the QB position in the NFL (including the Colts), it was actually pretty great to have Minshew. That's why I never really understood the narrative about how they were close to making the playoffs in spite of Minshew. 

I wouldn't put it that way. I'd say in spite of having significant limitations at QB. Minshew provides some stability and a decent floor, but even then, his statistical output was meager, and there are obvious constraints on the offense when he's your starter. And with him as the starter, we went 7-6, which is admirable for a backup, but obviously puts a cap on your team's ability to compete.

As you and others have mentioned, there was some truly dreadful QBing last season. (Side note, but the Colts greatly benefited from facing a lot of those struggling QBs. I've mentioned this in discussions about the defensive performance as well.) I think it's a good thing we had Minshew, otherwise things could have been much worse. He deserves some credit for playing as well as he did, especially when you see how bad it can be with other backups; we had some of that in 2022, and there was plenty of it around the league in 2023. 

But I also think that when we're objective about Minshew's performance and ability, it's obvious that having him as your starter for 13 games isn't a good thing.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

I wouldn't put it that way. I'd say in spite of having significant limitations at QB. Minshew provides some stability and a decent floor, but even then, his statistical output was meager, and there are obvious constraints on the offense when he's your starter. And with him as the starter, we went 7-6, which is admirable for a backup, but obviously puts a cap on your team's ability to compete.

As you and others have mentioned, there was some truly dreadful QBing last season. (Side note, but the Colts greatly benefited from facing a lot of those struggling QBs. I've mentioned this in discussions about the defensive performance as well.) I think it's a good thing we had Minshew, otherwise things could have been much worse. He deserves some credit for playing as well as he did, especially when you see how bad it can be with other backups; we had some of that in 2022, and there was plenty of it around the league in 2023. 

But I also think that when we're objective about Minshew's performance and ability, it's obvious that having him as your starter for 13 games isn't a good thing.

Gardner had his ups and downs but like you said with him in there we were 7-6 and was a play or 2 away of winning the division. 7-6 for a guy that is considered just a great backup and not a legit starter is respectable. I would take that all day. AR being 2-2 in his starts is promising leading into 2024. When I watched Gardner and AR play last season, to me I think defenses feared AR more because of his running ability and arm strength. 

10 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I would not be shocked if Gardner becomes the starter for the Raiders. Maybe to start the season, but by week 4 if the Raiders are like 1-3. Their QB room is MEH.

It's been my thinking that Minshew will be the opening day starter for the Raiders.

Other noteworthy veteran backups: Jacoby Brissett, $8m (and Maye might not be ready to start Week 1); Tyrod Taylor/Marcus Mariota, $6m; Andy Dalton, $5m; Joe Flacco, $4.5m (with escalators that can go to nearly $9m); Jameis Winston, $4m. Those are all new contracts in 2024.

And then Minshew is making $12.5m/year with $15m guaranteed. That's a different kind of contract. Another one in this tier is Sam Darnold, who signed for one year, $10m, and is likely to be the starter at the beginning of the season.

So yeah, unless Aidan O'Connell is fantastic in camp and preseason, I think it's Minshew as QB1.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Gardner had his ups and downs but like you said with him in there we were 7-6 and was a play or 2 away of winning the division. 7-6 for a guy that is considered just a great backup and not a legit starter is respectable. I would take that all day. AR being 2-2 in his starts is promising leading into 2024. When I watched Gardner and AR play last season, to me I think defenses feared AR more because of his running ability and arm strength. 

A play or two from winning a mediocre division, in a year with a soft schedule. Yeah, we'd take that all day from a backup, but we obviously need to aim higher as we move forward.

And I think that applies to the rest of the roster as well. For example, we were fifth in the league in sacks, playing against really bad QBs and some struggling OL groups. Some say 'I'll take fifth in sacks all day!' I think we need to be better at rushing the passer.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Superman said:

A play or two from winning a mediocre division, in a year with a soft schedule. Yeah, we'd take that all day from a backup, but we obviously need to aim higher as we move forward.

And I think that applies to the rest of the roster as well. For example, we were fifth in the league in sacks, playing against really bad QBs and some struggling OL groups. Some say 'I'll take fifth in sacks all day!' I think we need to be better at rushing the passer.

To your first paragraph I agree. I just think it would have been neat for the franchise to win the division with a backup QB. We haven't won it since 2014. Having said, of course for the big goal = SB, we need to get better to compete with teams like the Chiefs and Ravens when it really counts. We beat the Ravens last year at Baltimore, but a playoff game is different. I loved the days when we owned the Chiefs, but those days are long gone, Peyton and Andrew aren't here anymore. 

3 hours ago, Superman said:

Having Bryan and Johnson as our rotation tackles hurt badly with rushing and run D.

My highest hope is that neither is on the 53.

We are still going to have LB'er issues with coverage, I fear. Hopefully, we are much stronger with the whole front line and it allows our LB's to trust what is happening in front of them so they can react quicker to the outside and in coverage. Maybe our rookie LB developes quickly in coverage.

lol with our corners

22 hours ago, Superman said:

The Colts definitely benefited more from the QB situation than it hurt them, at least in the context of last season. Two of their wins (the two games where AR left early where they were up by 7 and 3), were in large part because the offense kept rolling when the starting QB went down. They also were limited by their QB situation in other games as well. But it's not like they were trotting out Mitch Trubisky.

They also faced several very good defenses with Minshew and still managed to be near top 10 in ppg. That's a testament to Steichen more than anything, but I it certainly doesn't happen with Sam or several of the bad QBs that played last year. That's part of why I think Minshew deserves more credit.

Sort of the inverse of the defense, who faced a very soft schedule and finished bottom 5 in ppg. The defense seems to get a pass from many fans though.

I know I am being a bit cynical, but it just seems like every offseason (since the 2021 season), an outgoing player or coach becomes a convenient target for blame for the woes of the season before. 

6 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

I know I am being a bit cynical, but it just seems like every offseason (since the 2021 season), an outgoing player or coach becomes a convenient target for blame for the woes of the season before. 

I don't think anyone is blaming Minshew for the woes of last season, so I don't understand this angle.

23 minutes ago, Superman said:

I don't think anyone is blaming Minshew for the woes of last season, so I don't understand this angle.

I mean…there were plenty of fans blaming him for that HOU loss because of one throw. It sort of spawned the “one play away” stuff.

In this forum, he’s blamed for AP’s production. Others have attributed the ppg allowed of the defense to his QB play. 

It’s not everyone doing this. But it’s not nobody either. Guess we just see it differently. 

2 hours ago, shasta519 said:

I mean…there were plenty of fans blaming him for that HOU loss because of one throw. It sort of spawned the “one play away” stuff.

In this forum, he’s blamed for AP’s production. Others have attributed the ppg allowed of the defense to his QB play. 

It’s not everyone doing this. But it’s not nobody either. Guess we just see it differently. 

I think there's a significant difference between blaming him for the Houston loss, and saying that he missed the throw on the game deciding play. It wasn't entirely his fault we lost, but he certainly contributed to the loss. I don't think the 'one play away' stuff is meant in a negative way toward Minshew at all. I think it's meant as an acknowledgment that the team isn't totally awful, despite there being some question marks.

And I'm sure there are some people who are being more negative about Minshew and the way the season ended, but I don't think that's the common sentiment.

Regarding Pierce, I don't think a receiver like him can succeed with a QB like Minshew. You made a good point in the AD thread that Pierce's usage is also related to scheme, and it doesn't seem like Steichen has seen fit to adjust the scheme so Pierce can be used more. That's telling, and it needs to be acknowledged that Pierce has to play/practice better if he wants more opportunities. But it's also pretty obvious that Minshew struggles to throw the big routes that Pierce is asked to run (he reportedly ran more go/post routes than any other WR last year), not to mention the QBs we had in 2022. 

It just seems like there's little debate about what Minshew is: He's a limited QB, and the offense will be capped by his limitations. He did a really good job filling in last year, and he deserves credit for being one of the best backup QBs in the league. He's still clearly a backup level QB. You'll get some nice moments, and some frustrating failures. Acknowledging that doesn't mean he's being blamed for the team not going further last season. That's not how I read it at all.

• Like 1

I think members of this forum spotted Minshew on the grassy knoll.

But ESPN has him ranked as the 13th best QB by QBR.  This is a very fair ranking in that it ranks him by the games he played. He didn't play the entire season so his total yards won't be as high.

Again these are ESPNs rankings not mine

https://www.espn.com/nfl/qbr