Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Kwity? Yes or No on the Option. ** Update pg 2. Option Exercised**

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

Thanks John.  This is really good work.  Top notch.   And you may want to bookmark it so you can retrieve it whenever you want.   This the type of content you can re-post twice a year or as need be.   Thanks again!  

:scoregood:      :worthy:      :colts:

I have an excel file that has the entire team's cap values for each year, sourced from overthecap.

Wanted to get an idea of who would still be with us year by year, if their current contract was never extended.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I never really had a strong opinion on this, so I was 50/50 from the beginning. It is cool to see some of the best posters admit they were wrong though about this. When I am wrong, I admit it as well on other subjects. It is good to have elite posters be standup guys. 

I think this is the right move looking the big picture though. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, TheNewGuy said:

I agree, I was just giving examples of how the cap could increase, plus it goes up usually every year.  Not to mention re-working Q's and Smith's deals.  There are plenty of ways to absorb the 13mil.

Its not about simply giving him 13 million  and the cap is going up. Its a case of if you let him go, could you  use that 13 million and get a better player at the same money and/or maybe a slight increase of say  15-17 million? I would rather save the 13 million and see what was out there and use it to sign a better player.    Based on his  previous production what would Paye demand on the open market? I say the Colts should let  him find out. I don't expect him to all of a sudden turn it on and have say double digit sacks. He had really limited  production coming out of college and that has really remained the same in his pro career. He is who he is at this time in his career. Honestly, with the addition of our 15th pick, Dayo and Ebukam, I actually expect Paye's stats to go down as I think they are better players and will see more snaps. I would be shocked if they are working on an extension. Plus, you don't draft a DE at 15 and then give Paye an extension. I said to the members on this board that when they went after Hunter, they were not happy with the pass rush and it was an indictment of Paye as a pass rusher. Nice guy, but just not the guy we hoped he would become.

8 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Its not about simply giving him 13 million  and the cap is going up. Its a case of if you let him go, could you  use that 13 million and get a better player at the same money and/or maybe a slight increase of say  15-17 million? I would rather save the 13 million and see what was out there and use it to sign a better player.    Based on his  previous production what would Paye demand on the open market? I say the Colts should let  him find out. I don't expect him to all of a sudden turn it on and have say double digit sacks. He had really limited  production coming out of college and that has really remained the same in his pro career. He is who he is at this time in his career. Honestly, with the addition of our 15th pick, Dayo and Ebukam, I actually expect Paye's stats to go down as I think they are better players and will see more snaps. I would be shocked if they are working on an extension. Plus, you don't draft a DE at 15 and then give Paye an extension. I said to the members on this board that when they went after Hunter, they were not happy with the pass rush and it was an indictment of Paye as a pass rusher. Nice guy, but just not the guy we hoped he would become.

Please tell us where to find these better players with equal potential that you can get for a single year for $15M

• Thanks 1

Just now, wig said:

Please tell us where to find these better players with equal potential that you can get for a single year for $15M

Sam signed for 11 mill from San Fran and he is better than Paye. I am just about saving that 15 million and seeing what we can use it on. Whether that be another edge setter in free agency or another position. 

12 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

You could take that way of thinking and hope someone is available in Free Agency that has better stats for the same cash, or a little more.  Or you could pay the known player, who is only 25 and had 8 sacks(2 off of double digits)that most likely will be given more opportunities to increase his sack count, if Latu is what we all hope he will be and playing opposite of him.

Why would drafting Latu 15th hinder paying Paye or Dayo for that matter?  Latu is on a rookie deal and has never taken an NFL snap, the other two have.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

I doubt they were biting their nails trying to decide until the last second.   I'm sure they knew what they were going to do long ago

What if he tore a bicep or quad working out a week ago.  Plenty of reason to wait

Well the guys whose options were picked up early didn’t have to worry about their decision dragging out until the last hour.  Good for them.  They were rewarded early and slept well and celebrated early.  Waiting until the eleventh hour can’t be enjoyable I would think.  I guess it could have been the bicep thing or maybe working on an extension.  I wonder how many of the 32 received an extension.  Anyway good for him and the Colts.  One thing should be certain.  When his football days are over he will never have to work another day in his life. Lol

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

Apparently not for them.  They took it down to the last hour.  Good for him though.  Hopefully he keeps improving.

I assumed they would make this move

but

Why not do this yesterday or this morning

That doesnt make sense to me.......

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TheNewGuy said:

You could take that way of thinking and hope someone is available in Free Agency that has better stats for the same cash, or a little more.  Or you could pay the known player, who is only 25 and had 8 sacks(2 off of double digits)that most likely will be given more opportunities to increase his sack count, if Latu is what we all hope he will be and playing opposite of him.

Why would drafting Latu 15th hinder paying Paye or Dayo for that matter?  Latu is on a rookie deal and has never taken an NFL snap, the other two have.

Why would you offer him the 5th when most likely you are going to be probably decreasing his snaps? You offer the 5th year to a guy that is at least a starter at his position. I am not sure you can actually say that Paye is the starter at his current position and if he is it is bye default!  Latu starts at RDE and I dont think Paye is even the starter on the opposite side. 

From my perspective the kid is getting a bit better every year.......   in 40 years he will be all pro

:)

Just kidding, he is a decent player that needs to continue to grow

• Thanks 1

Just now, Moosejawcolt said:

Why would you offer him the 5th when most likely you are going to be probably decreasing his snaps? You offer the 5th year to a guy that is at least a starter at his position. I am not sure you can actually say that Paye is the starter at his current position and if he is it is bye default!  Latu starts at RDE and I dont think Paye is even the starter on the opposite side. 

You are assuming that Latu will take snaps from Paye and we all know about assuming.  Our GM has said he wants his pass rush in waves, and waves need depth.  Keeping players fresh will increase their production regardless. 

Plus, as I stated before, Latu has never played in the nfl, I am rooting for him and hope he is a beast.

9 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Sam signed for 11 mill from San Fran and he is better than Paye. I am just about saving that 15 million and seeing what we can use it on. Whether that be another edge setter in free agency or another position. 

You mean the guy that Paye's first year was comparable to their best in 6 years before Indy?  Try again

4 minutes ago, TheNewGuy said:

Let me ask you a question and I think you know my answer. Has Paye ever dominated a game? Have you ever walked away from a game going wow? Has he ever had that game changing sack? He has 8 sacks but I would argue that not one of them directly impacted the game. I don't dislike Paye. He had a nice family story coming out of college. I would not pay  him 13 million. I would just wait it out. Lets say he does light it up. You can always franchise him and yes that is expensive, but you dont mind paying it if he has like 14 sacks . Based on history this is what will most likely happen. He will get some sacks and really  never impact the game. I say we can save that 13 million and  use it to go out and get  good free agent who will impact the game more than Paye ever did and/or ever will do.  You see, you can save that 13 million and then maybe chip in a few  more million get a far better player than Paye will ever be.

4 minutes ago, TheNewGuy said:

You are assuming that Latu will take snaps from Paye and we all know about assuming.  Our GM has said he wants his pass rush in waves, and waves need depth.  Keeping players fresh will increase their production regardless. 

Plus, as I stated before, Latu has never played in the nfl, I am rooting for him and hope he is a beast.

Latu wont take snaps from Paye. Latu will be starting RDE and Paye will be the LDE to fight it over who starts. He will be sharing snaps with other players. Latu will be seeing the field a lot. I am really not sure what Paye's playing time will be but i expect it to be reduced from what it was last year.

Latu wont take snaps from Paye. Latu will be starting RDE and Paye will be the LDE to fight it over who starts. He will be sharing snaps with other players. Latu will be seeing the field a lot. I am really not sure what Paye's playing time will be but i expect it to be reduced from what it was last year.

I'm guessing it's gonna be a lot of rotation 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Let me ask you a question and I think you know my answer. Has Paye ever dominated a game? Have you ever walked away from a game going wow? Has he ever had that game changing sack? He has 8 sacks but I would argue that not one of them directly impacted the game. I don't dislike Paye. He had a nice family story coming out of college. I would not pay  him 13 million. I would just wait it out. Lets say he does light it up. You can always franchise him and yes that is expensive, but you dont mind paying it if he has like 14 sacks . Based on history this is what will most likely happen. He will get some sacks and really  never impact the game. I say we can save that 13 million and  use it to go out and get  good free agent who will impact the game more than Paye ever did and/or ever will do.  You see, you can save that 13 million and then maybe chip in a few  more million get a far better player than Paye will ever be.

We shall see moving forward and 8 sacks is 8 sacks regardless of how they come.  Are some more memorable, yes, and Paye has 2 more seasons to show us that...

1 minute ago, wig said:

Paye has played way better than Ebukam before he signed here

Then why did they go out and sign Sam? They signed Sam because they were not happy with Paye. They went after Hunter because they were not happy with Paye. They drafted Latu because they were not happy with Paye.

• Like 1

I think fans need to accept the player Paye is instead of being disappointed  he isn’t the guy they wanted or thought. He was never going to be a 15 sack  guy. But that doesn’t mean he isn’t really important to the team. Ballard never sold him as an elite pass rusher. He would of went much higher if teams thought he would be a elite pass rusher.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, w87r said:

I think that $13m was scaring some people?

It really isn't a lot of money for good starting DE.

I thought this was a pretty easy decision.

Yeah, I thought it was a pretty easy decision as well, he's great against the run and his sack numbers have increased every year he's played (4,6,8.5). Definitely worth the 5th year option, because if he keeps progressing and hits double digits, he'll be worth way more than 13m.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I see it the other way around, Paye on the strong side and Latu, if he beats out Sam, on the weak side.  Though time will tell.

1 minute ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Then why did they go out and sign Sam? They signed Sam because they were not happy with Paye. They went after Hunter because they were not happy with Paye. They drafted Latu because they were not happy with Paye.

It’s possible they are happy with Paye but they still wanted that elite pass rusher to go on the other side. Their actions do not in any way indicate they aren’t happy with Paye.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I think fans need to accept the player Paye is instead of being disappointed  he isn’t the guy they wanted or thought. He was never going to be a 15 sack  guy. But that doesn’t mean he isn’t really important to the team. Ballard never sold him as an elite pass rusher. He would of went much higher if teams thought he would be a elite pass rusher.

Yeah he isn't a playmaker, but he's a very solid starter

• Like 2

Just now, TheNewGuy said:

We shall see moving forward and 8 sacks is 8 sacks regardless of how they come.  Are some more memorable, yes, and Paye has 2 more seasons to show us that...

You are right it is more than just sacks. It is also about pressures and Paye is really below average in that department.  I think if you look it up it is rather bad actually. Like  I said he seems like a really nice guy but just not the guy the Colts wanted him to do. Now he will be playing LDE and his  main skill is to set the edge. Dont pick up the option and let it play out. He balls out then revisit signing him. Save the money and use it on another position in the off season. Based on what I have seen, I have total confidence in what he can and cannot do. He is a bellow average pass rush and easily replaceable in the draft and/or free agency.

2 minutes ago, TheNewGuy said:

I see it the other way around, Paye on the strong side and Latu, if he beats out Sam, on the weak side.  Though time will tell.

Latu will occupy the side where he is rushing the passer. That is his job. To get to the qb!!  I am not sure who will go where. I expect Paye to play LDE and I am not sure where Sam and Dayo will line up. I really wouldn't be shocked if Paye isnt even a starter to open the season on the left side. I think what will be clear is Latu will be starting and those other 3 will be doing a lot of switching around but I do think Dayo will become a starter soon into the season

Latu will occupy the side where he is rushing the passer. That is his job. To get to the qb!!  I am not sure who will go where. I expect Paye to play LDE and I am not sure where Sam and Dayo will line up. I really wouldn't be shocked if Paye isnt even a starter to open the season on the left side. I think what will be clear is Latu will be starting and those other 3 will be doing a lot of switching around but I do think Dayo will become a starter soon into the season

Correct, the weak side, so we agree.  Paye is better suited for the strong side.  Now Dayo, talk about a swiss army knife!  Can play both ends, 3 tech, and NT on obvious passing downs, love the kid :).

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

It’s possible they are happy with Paye but they still wanted that elite pass rusher to go on the other side. Their actions do not in any way indicate they aren’t happy with Paye.

I would go on the side that they are not happy with him in terms of play. He has been here for 3 years now and really has little impact on the game. Not what you want for the 20th pick in the draft. Not a bust but a huge disappointment.  You never notice him in the game at all.

I'm happy about this. Ballard said that he liked Paye a lot still. Not too surprised we picked up his 5th year option. I was 60/40 on it. Love keeping this EDGE room as long as possible!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Yoshinator said:

I'm happy about this. Ballard said that he liked Paye a lot still. Not too surprised we picked up his 5th year option. I was 60/40 on it. Love keeping this EDGE room as long as possible!

They would not of exercised his 5th year if they were unhappy.

Latu will play the LEO role as we say.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, w87r said:

https://nfltraderumors.co/2025-fifth-year-option-tracker/

22/32 options were picked up/extended

3/22 were extended

22 is a decent number but 3 out of 22 is a real small number.  I am not a believer that we were willing to go for an extension at this time.  There would be plenty of time to do that after this season.  This strikes me more as a reward and motivator for the hard work and improvement he has shown over the three years.  Hopefully the best is yet to come.

14 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I would go on the side that they are not happy with him in terms of play. He has been here for 3 years now and really has little impact on the game. Not what you want for the 20th pick in the draft. Not a bust but a huge disappointment.  You never notice him in the game at all.

Completely disagree.  He is the anti Freeney though.   Great edge setter and run defense.   Not a ton of pressures.    He has gotten better every year with pass rush though.  Great rotation guy

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

22 is a decent number but 3 out of 22 is a real small number.  I am not a believer that we were willing to go for an extension at this time.  There would be plenty of time to do that after this season.  This strikes me more as a reward and motivator for the hard work and improvement he has shown over the three years.  Hopefully the best is yet to come.

He could still get extended.   They didn't give him the option because he is a swell fella.  They gave it to him because they think he is a player they want beyond this year.   

• Like 1

1 minute ago, richard pallo said:

I don't know if they were working an extension or not? Maybe, maybe not? Just a possibility. Point is, it didn't take them till the last 15 minutes before the deadline, to make this decision. It had been made, no reason to rush the announcement. I'm sure if extension talks weren't on going, then the Colts let him know that they would pick up his option, well before 3:45 today, when the rest of us found out. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Moosejawcolt said:

You're projecting 

1 hour ago, Moosejawcolt said:

You are right it is more than just sacks. It is also about pressures and Paye is really below average in that department.  I think if you look it up it is rather bad actually. Like  I said he seems like a really nice guy but just not the guy the Colts wanted him to do. Now he will be playing LDE and his  main skill is to set the edge. Dont pick up the option and let it play out. He balls out then revisit signing him. Save the money and use it on another position in the off season. Based on what I have seen, I have total confidence in what he can and cannot do. He is a bellow average pass rush and easily replaceable in the draft and/or free agency.

He was drafted to set the edge which he is great at. He was not drafted as a pass rusher. Duh