K - Spencer Shrader, Notre Dame

WR - Xavier White, Texas Tech 

TE - Trent Pennix, North Carolina State 

OG - Dalton Tucker, Marshall 

Tryout:

TE - Malcolm Epps, Pittsburgh

OT - Jake Hornirook, Duke

Still a pretty busy day for UDFA. 

I don't know if this is it or not, but we are at (90) on the roster count. Dabo exemption status still not 100% confirmed so might have (91)

UDFA:

QB - Kedon Slovis, BYU

QB - Jason Bean, Kansas

DL - Jeblonski Green, South Carolina State 

Tryout:

RB - Justin Strong, Southern Illinois 

OP updated as usual.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, w87r said:

I don't know if this is it or not, but we are at (90) on the roster count. Dabo exemption status still not 100% confirmed so might have (91)

UDFA:

QB - Kedon Slovis, BYU

QB - Jason Bean, Kansas

Tryout:

Good. Glad we're giving a RB a tryout. I'll check him out.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, w87r said:

UDFA:

QB - Kedon Slovis, BYU

QB - Jason Bean, Kansas

Tryout:

Also, if we are at 91, maybe we cut Cox now.

4 minutes ago, Yoshinator said:

Good. Glad we're giving a RB a tryout. I'll check him out.

@Yoshinator, I fixed the link.

👀

3 minutes ago, Yoshinator said:

Also, if we are at 91, maybe we cut Cox now.

We're not at 91, we might just be able to have 91, depending on Dabo. I've seen it both ways(still has exemption/doesn't have exemption)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, w87r said:

@Yoshinator, I fixed the link.

👀

We're not at 91, we might just be able to have 91, depending on Dabo. I've seen it both ways(still has exemption/doesn't have exemption)

I like Strong a lot, this is the type of guy I wanted to compete for an RB spot. Absolute freak athlete!

• Like 1

No link yet but bolded below

UDFA:

QB - Kedon Slovis, BYU

QB - Jason Bean, Kansas

DT - Isaiah Coe, Oklahoma 

Tryout:

• Like 3

Do we really think there is going to be a competition for the #3 QB spot or is it just camp bodies, the QBs signed as UDFAs. and Ehlinger has the inside track no matter what? 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, chad72 said:

Do we really think there is going to be a competition for the #3 QB spot or is it just camp bodies, the QBs signed as UDFAs. and Ehlinger has the inside track no matter what? 

Slovis has a legit chance of being the no3 QB. He's probably a top 10 QB in this class tbh.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, chad72 said:

I think Slovis has a legit chance to take the #3 spot.

I really think Bean is just a favor, Ballard's son played QB at Kansas.

I don't think Ehlinger has that spot locked up in the slightest. Contract year, time to start to develop a new backup QB.

• Like 6

I am anxious to start diving into discussion about the individual groups.

Locks

Position battles

Who else to add.

Definitely think we will be adding a vet RB, and a vet FS, potentially a vet CB as well.

Outside of that, there isn't much of a need. We have everywhere need, just have to let the players battle it out for those (69) roster spots(top 53, (16) practice squad).

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, w87r said:

I am anxious to start diving into discussion about the individual groups.

Locks

Position battles

Who else to add.

Definitely think we will be adding a vet RB, and a vet FS, potentially a vet CB as well.

Outside of that, there isn't much of a need. We have everywhere need, just have to let the players battle it out for those (69) roster spots(top 53, (16) practice squad).

I agree with the vet signings. We have some cap space. I think that was intentional where Ballard plans to sign FAs to fill in the holes from the positions he couldn't draft during the draft.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Yoshinator said:

I agree with the vet signings. We have some cap space. I think that was intentional where Ballard plans to sign FAs to fill in the holes from the positions he couldn't draft during the draft.

I have us with $26m, top 51, once rookies are signed.

$2.5m for Practice Squad

$3m for final roster adjustments, once top 51 goes to top 53

$9m in season spending cash.

That's $14.5m off the cap and leaves:

11.5m in spendable cap, still have Mo to increase this if we want to.($5.9m)

RB - Cam Akers - $2.5m

FS - Q. Diggs - $7.5m

CB - Witherspoon - $4m

That's $14m, but $2.955, drops off for top 51. $11.045m

So, could make that work.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, w87r said:

I have us with $26m, top 51, once rookies are signed.

$2.5m for Practice Squad

$3m for final roster adjustments, once top 51 goes to top 53

$9m in season spending cash.

That's $14.5m off the cap and leaves:

11.5m in spendable cap, still have Mo to increase this if we want to.($5.9m)

RB - Cam Akers - $2.5m

FS - Q. Diggs - $7.5m

CB - Witherspoon - $4m

That's $14m, but $2.955, drops off for top 51. $11.045m

So, could make that work.

That would work perfectly if it happened. 

• Like 1

Not to jump the gun, but Ballard took 7 years to get us like this. We have alot of position groups that are good with few depth issues at positions. If we get a good run at the playoffs we could be there for a longtime. Last 2 drafts were great, finally a good head coach, I'm stoked.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, w87r said:

No link yet but bolded below

UDFA:

QB - Kedon Slovis, BYU

QB - Jason Bean, Kansas

DT - Isaiah Coe, Oklahoma 

Tryout:

Add Craig Young  LB Kanas

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

I think it could be a competition for the future.  Sam is in the last year of his contract and Flacco is on a one year deal.  So I could see them keeping one of them on the PS to see if he can be developed for the future.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, dw49 said:

Add Craig Young  LB Kanas

Craig Young  is pretty interesting.

Ohio State transfer 

Indiana kid from Fort Wayne.

Screenshot_20240427-234748.png.3a102ce75fe8566f9ace1aeb27045682.png

• Like 5

Craig Young was an Ohio State recruit and transferred to Kansas  - both he and the new draftee Jaylon Carlies have a similar athletic profile with a 4.50ish 40, with 33 and 34 inch arms (respectfully) and both are 6'3" and 226ish......I think Craig Young has a chance as a back-up/teams guy if he shows out in camp. Stuard, McGrone and Olubi aren't exactly world beaters after all. Those measurements (BTW) are very much in the mold of the Okereke/Leonard/Speed size/length/speed ratios..........

Trent Pennix played RB/FB/TE at N.C. State - could we be incorporating an actual FB into the offense? He is only 6'1" and 234 pounds so very much NOT the mold of our typical tight ends?

Isaiah Coe did 34 bench reps and is a bit bigger...........if he proves stronger at the point of attack than Eric Johnson, he could earn a spot at the back end of the roster as well.

Outside of that I don't see anyone pushing for a roster spot.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

Craig Young was an Ohio State recruit and transferred to Kansas  - both he and the new draftee Jaylon Carlies have a similar athletic profile with a 4.50ish 40, with 33 and 34 inch arms (respectfully) and both are 6'3" and 226ish......I think Craig Young has a chance as a back-up/teams guy if he shows out in camp. Stuard, McGrone and Olubi aren't exactly world beaters after all. Those measurements (BTW) are very much in the mold of the Okereke/Leonard/Speed size/length/speed ratios.........

Agree, I think Young has a pretty decent chance to stick.

We need multiple LBers that can cover. Hopefully Carlies and him both make the squad and help underneath and over the middle

14 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

Trent Pennix played RB/FB/TE at N.C. State - could we be incorporating an actual FB into the offense? He is only 6'1" and 234 pounds so very much NOT the mold of our typical tight ends?

Yeah he has a crazy build. FB would make some sense for him. Not sure if we will carry one of those or not?

Screenshot_20240428-005834.png.d968bb4f515d4e2b2b3280c3a68bd784.png

19 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

Isaiah Coe did 34 bench reps and is a bit bigger...........if he proves stronger at the point of attack than Eric Johnson, he could earn a spot at the back end of the roster as well.

I don't think Eric Johnson has a very good chance of keeping a roster spot.  To many guys there now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Something else to lock away in the brain.

Ballard got 4 players, while trading down and still getting Mitchell.

2.46 - **traded for #52, #142, #155

**2.52 - $1,219,297 - Adonai Mitchell, WR, Texas

**5.142 - $883,167 - Anthony Gould, WR, Oregon State 

**5.155 - ****traded for #164, #201

****5.164 - $869,254 - Jaylin Simpson, S, Auburn 

****6.201 -$838,489 - Micah Abraham, CB, Marshall 

That trade down, then subsequent trade down again, allowed us to get who we were more than likely going to grab anyway(Mitchell). While also being able to throw 3 more darts, including a second WR, and 2 other guys that I think have a good chance of earning one of this last spots at CB, Safety.

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, w87r said:

That trade down, then subsequent trade down again, allowed us to get who we were more than likely going to grab anyway(Mitchell). While also being able to throw 3 more darts, including a second WR, and 2 other guys that I think have a good chance of earning one of this last spots at CB, Safety.

I love this. Fixed our WR position, and helps with some depth at the secondary. Didn't even sacrifice the player we wanted either with Mitchell. Major win by Ballard here. That's how you build a team. 

• Like 3

If those are Craig Young's pro day results on that chart I'm not sure a linebacker that only does 13 reps at 225 can play in the nfl. That indicates a lack of functional strength and, what's more, a lack of time and effort in the gym. When Kedon Slovis was a Pitt for 1 year I think he got benched part way through the season, he started out really good for 4 or 5 games but then things went downhill if I remember correctly. I don't think any of these udfa's will make the team, heck, Abraham and Laulu probably won't this roster is stacked and deep.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Two_pound said:

If those are Craig Young's pro day results on that chart I'm not sure a linebacker that only does 13 reps at 225 can play in the nfl. That indicates a lack of functional strength and, what's more, a lack of time and effort in the gym. When Kedon Slovis was a Pitt for 1 year I think he got benched part way through the season, he started out really good for 4 or 5 games but then things went downhill if I remember correctly. I don't think any of these udfa's will make the team, heck, Abraham and Laulu probably won't this roster is stacked and deep.

No doubt, think there are very few top 53 spots to be earned. Will be a hard team to make. Ballard discussed that last night in presser. See below.

I do however, think QB#3 is up for grabs. Ehlinger is old regime and in contract year. Imagine Steichen wants his own guys in there to grow and learn, with 4 years on rookie deal left.

Same way with LBer, I think there are a couple spots there that can be had, especially if you can cover somebody.

As far as bench press reps, not too concerned about it. Leonard only had 17. If he can play some coverage, he will have a shot.

Abraham really just has 1 guy to beat out, Lammons for the backup nickel. Unless they think he can play outside more, then he would also have a chance at 4th outside CB.

I don't think there's anywhere for Laulu. Imagine the plan for him is to get him in the building and to the practice squad this season.

Look forward to going over all groups and really narrowing it down. Locks, position battles and outside players to add.

Post Draft presser:

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, r a y s k i said:

We need to give a call to Justin Simmons, would round out this offseason nicely

I really do think we will be bringing in Diggs. Diggs has just kept himself inserted in Colts news.

Probably not Simmons though.

Definitely think we will bring in a vet RB, sometime from now to beginning of camp.

With how the draft played out I see a vet CB as well to battle for that 4th outside spot.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

Just thought about it this morning as I was reevaluating things.

Maybe he could be a big 3rd or 4th RB, with the ability to line up and lead block?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, w87r said:

The trade back in round 2 was a bit risky IMHO

It paid off but, yikes

Start talking about some of these positional groups. Might as well start on the secondary. Probably most polarizing spots currently.

19 hours ago, w87r said:

CB:(8) Dallis Flowers, JuJu Brents, Kenny Moore, Jaylon Jones, Ameer Speed, Chris Lammons, Micah Abraham, Darrell Baker Jr

Going to break them down in different categories: locks, positional battles, etc. will keep 5-6(leaning 6 as of now)

Outside:

Brents(lock)

Flowers(lock)

Jones(lock)

Speed

Baker Jr

Nickel:

Moore(lock)

Lammons

Abraham(maybe can play outside?)

So I think looking at this, it is clear that we need to bring in a veteran CB to compete with Speed, Baker Jr and Abraham for the 4th outside CB spot.

Position Battles CB4:

Speed

Baker Jr

Vet FA?

When it comes to the nickel, clearly Moore isn't going anywhere. This is strictly a battle for Nickel #2. Lammons vs Abraham. Should be a good battle, maybe Abraham has leg up with outside flexibility? Veteran could also be going for #2 or #3 spot. Will just call it 4th CB in general.

Position Battles NB2:

Lammons

Abraham 

Possible FA Additions:

Nelson 

Gilmore

Witherspoon 

Howard

Adoree Jackson

JC Jackson 

Levi Wallace

19 hours ago, w87r said:

S:(9) Julian Blackmon, Nick Cross, Rodney Thomas, Daniel Scott, Jaylin Simpson, Trevor Denbow, , Marcel Dabo, Kendell Brooks, Michael Tutsie

Same as above: likely keep (4), outside chance at 5.

FS:

Thomas

Scott

Simpson

SS:

Blackmon(lock)

Cross(lock)

Denbow 

Camp Bodies:

Dabo

Brooks

Tutsie 

Thomas roster spot is in serious jeopardy I think. He will have to compete with Scott and Simpson for a spot or 2. Likely Cross or Blackmon coming over to start? Potentially a veteran FS as well.

Position Battle FS1/2:

Thomas

Scott

Simpson 

Vet FA?

Blackmon and Cross could end up starting at both spots. That's where I think it sits as of today. A lot can change. Going to add Denbow into the #4 Safety position battle. 2 spots up for grabs.

Position Battle S4:

Denbow

Possible FA Additions:

Simmons 

Diggs 

Eddie Jackson 

Hyde

What's everyone's thoughts on these groups?

Agree with the locks, position battles, FA possibilities?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MikeCurtis said:

The trade back in round 2 was a bit risky IMHO

It paid off but, yikes

Maybe? I think he just read the board well, and he probably liked 2 WRs there. Corley was the next WR taken after Mitchell and not till the first pick of the 3rd round.(12 picks from Mitchell's spot, 18 picks from #46)

Another receiver wasn't drafted in the 2nd after Mitchell 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, w87r said:

Maybe? I think he just read the board well, and he probably liked 2 WRs there. Corley was the next WR taken after Mitchell and not till the first pick of the 3rd round.(12 picks from Mitchell's spot, 18 picks from #46)

Another receiver wasn't drafted in the 2nd after Mitchell 

He read the board right, BUT.......

If another team would have traded into those spots, we would have missed on a player that I think COULD be a Moss type reciever

• w87r changed the title to 2024 Post Draft Updated Roster + Cap Space Discussion Thread. **OP updated w/ UDFA. Secondary discussion btm pg 2**
14 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

He read the board right, BUT.......

If another team would have traded into those spots, we would have missed on a player that I think COULD be a Moss type reciever

I thought Pittsburgh was going to take him right in front of us.

I'm sure Ballard had a good pulse on the draft who was staying put and what they were probably looking for. Think he just knew what he was doing.

They liked both Mitchell and Corley, imo, so he knew there was a fall back if that did happen. If he was too worried about losing him he would of selected him at #46.

They traded up for Goncalves because they were afraid to lose him. 

• Like 1