Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts have the 15th pick in the draft. (MERGE)

54 minutes ago, stitches said:

I really like Arnold. Like... really really like him... but I can't disagree with the people who say McKinstry fits better what Ballard usually likes... and he will likely be available later than Arnold too so... I can absolutely see Ballard trading down to about #25-30 and picking McKinstry. 

if one of those offensive options are available at 15 and trading back would guarantee us not getting them, I’d be happy with getting kool aid in the second without a doubt

just my personal opinion, I’d rather get a certified offensive weapon who can come in provide an impact instantly rather than grabbing one in the second and having to develop him.  Corners usually don’t come right in and shut it down.  Whatever corner we draft, rather in the first or second, it’s going to take some time.  Corner is one of the hardest positions to play.  And with the moves our division rivals made, we can’t fall behind with a struggling offense.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, stitches said:

My thought of the day: I think I want Laiatu Latu if we are going to be going for DE in the 1st. He will be my EDGE1 in this draft. Just.. .the more I watch of him and the other EDGEs ... the more I just cannot ignore how skilled he is. I am not sure I've seen this refined of a pass-rusher recently. It's almost like he's playing completely different game than any of the other EDGEs in this draft. And then he went on and tested above 9 RAS... like WHAT? Today I heard another metric in PFF's podcast... there's this in-game athleticism score(GAS) they have. And they have him measured at 97.1 out 100 in 2022 and 99.7 in 2023!!! They have him as an elite functional athlete, even though he doesn't look like it at first sight. And then the final nail - even production-wise he's the best pass-rusher in the draft... has 27 sacks last 2 years... 62 pressures this year, 65 last year... 21.5 FTLs this year, 12.5 last year... those are insane numbers. Those are better numbers than many of the EDGEs that have been drafted in the top 5(like the Bosas, like ... even Myles Garrett) don't hit... 

If our doctors clear him medically... I think I'd be ecstatic to get him at 15. 

I agree with Latu. He's just leagues ahead when it comes to technique.

I'll be looking a lot closer at that GAS score, because I think off-the-field, no pads athletics are too often misleading.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, stitches said:

My thought of the day: I think I want Laiatu Latu if we are going to be going for DE in the 1st. He will be my EDGE1 in this draft. Just.. .the more I watch of him and the other EDGEs ... the more I just cannot ignore how skilled he is. I am not sure I've seen this refined of a pass-rusher recently. It's almost like he's playing completely different game than any of the other EDGEs in this draft. And then he went on and tested above 9 RAS... like WHAT? Today I heard another metric in PFF's podcast... there's this in-game athleticism score(GAS) they have. And they have him measured at 97.1 out 100 in 2022 and 99.7 in 2023!!! They have him as an elite functional athlete, even though he doesn't look like it at first sight. And then the final nail - even production-wise he's the best pass-rusher in the draft... has 27 sacks last 2 years... 62 pressures this year, 65 last year... 21.5 FTLs this year, 12.5 last year... those are insane numbers. Those are better numbers than many of the EDGEs that have been drafted in the top 5(like the Bosas, like ... even Myles Garrett) don't hit... 

From PFF.com

Our 2024 draft spotlight focuses on wide receivers and their max percentile in PFF GAS over their careers. We've seen that earning a high PFF GAS in any season is the most useful for predicting NFL players, so we've called out the highest ranking in their NCAA career.

• Malik Nabers, LSU — 99th percentile
  • Adonai Mitchell, Texas — 99th 
  • Xavier Worthy, Texas —99th 
  • Xavier Legette, South Carolina — 99th 
  • Rome Odunze, Washington — 98th
  • Marvin Harrison Jr., Ohio State — 96th 
  • Emeka Egbuka, Ohio State — 93rd 
  • Keon Coleman, Florida State — 93rd 
  • Troy Franklin, Oregon — 92nd 
  • Johnny Wilson, Florida State — 91st 
  • Malachi Corley, Western Kentucky — 81st 
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Just now, Solid84 said:

From PFF.com

"PFF GAS is not available via our consumer subscription. This metric is strictly for our team clients."

Bah humbug!

9 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

I agree with Latu. He's just leagues ahead when it comes to technique.

I'll be looking a lot closer at that GAS score, because I think off-the-field, no pads athletics are too often misleading.

Sorry, wrong quote. 

10 minutes ago, smittywerb said:

if one of those offensive options are available at 15 and trading back would guarantee us not getting them, I’d be happy with getting kool aid in the second without a doubt

just my personal opinion, I’d rather get a certified offensive weapon who can come in provide an impact instantly rather than grabbing one in the second and having to develop him.  Corners usually don’t come right in and shut it down.  Whatever corner we draft, rather in the first or second, it’s going to take some time.  Corner is one of the hardest positions to play.  And with the moves our division rivals made, we can’t fall behind with a struggling offense.

That's true about corners generally, but if you hit on the right CB, he can produce well enough for a rookie year. Gonzalez and Witherspoon did very well last year.

Even 3rd round pick Ji'Ayir Brown did very well as rookie.

Coaching matters too, and the scheme. Evaluating and Drafting right player matter too, and Colts at #15 are in good spot to do that. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, stitches said:

Regarding RAS, I don't like his testing. It's basically 'he's tall and ran a good 40.' No agility numbers, bad explosive numbers, no bench press, and even his 40 should be influenced by his low end weight. He also doesn't have impressive length, although that's not a RAS metric. 

I'd give him a RAS incomplete. You said he doesn't look like an elite athlete, and I agree. He ran a good 40, and that's it.

He's definitely well refined technically, his hand usage is super impressive. Can't argue with the production, either. But I think his RAS score needs to be contextualized.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

From PFF.com

It would be better to see how it changes throughout the college career instead of one recent year, to avoid one great year like Legette had, and see if GAS scores progress or regress. But, as it's not available, we're out of luck. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, smittywerb said:

you bring up 2 great points.  Didn’t know that about sauce.  Didn’t know that about Arnold either!  You might’ve changed up personal board.  Yeah, switch Quinyon with Arnold because honestly, that’s all I had against Quinyon.  

By the way,  important note:

I was wrong about Arnold.  I got him mixed up with Alabama’s other very good corner, Koolaid McKinstry.  It’s McKinstry with the broken foot who has now had surgery.  He might not be available until August or September.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Superman said:

Regarding RAS, I don't like his testing. It's basically 'he's tall and ran a good 40.' No agility numbers, bad explosive numbers, no bench press, and even his 40 should be influenced by his low end weight. He also doesn't have impressive length, although that's not a RAS metric. 

I'd give him a RAS incomplete. You said he doesn't look like an elite athlete, and I agree. He ran a good 40, and that's it.

He's definitely well refined technically, his hand usage is super impressive. Can't argue with the production, either. But I think his RAS score needs to be contextualized.

Yah... I agree he doesn't look explosive or super fast on tape... but he doesn't look slow either. He kind of looks like... he's playing at his own pace and it doesn't look like it's hindering his pass-rush.

I know we don't have access to PFF's GAS numbers and their methodology about it, but what do you make of those scores? It seems like it's their proprietary in-game athleticism score, that is not public but is available for the teams that subscribe to their services(all of them). 

(From what I've heard in their podcasts - those gas numbers are for every player they have numbers for(including players that never make the NFL) and that most of the players that make the NFL have scores above 80. I think they said in one of their podcasts that a lot of the elite players in the league had GAS in the high 90s. )

8 minutes ago, stitches said:

Yah... I agree he doesn't look explosive or super fast on tape... but he doesn't look slow either. He kind of looks like... he's playing at his own pace and it doesn't look like it's hindering his pass-rush.

I know we don't have access to PFF's GAS numbers and their methodology about it, but what do you make of those scores? It seems like it's their proprietary in-game athleticism score, that is not public but is available for the teams that subscribe to their services(all of them). 

(From what I've heard in their podcasts - those gas numbers are for every player they have numbers for(including players that never make the NFL) and that most of the players that make the NFL have scores above 80. I think they said in one of their podcasts that a lot of the elite players in the league had GAS in the high 90s. )

I have no opinion on the GAS stuff. Proprietary metrics that are only published sparingly have no value to me.

As for his pass rush, he just looks like he knows what he's doing. He's strong and balanced, great hand usage, good great motor. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

I have no opinion on the GAS stuff. Proprietary metrics that are only published sparingly have no value to me.

As for his pass rush, he just looks like he knows what he's doing. He's strong and balanced, great hand usage, good great motor. 

If you had to pick one pass rusher from this draft for the Colts who would it be? Chop Robinson? 

1 minute ago, stitches said:

If you had to pick one pass rusher from this draft for the Colts who would it be? Chop Robinson? 

In the first round?

I think Latu is the best pass rusher. My concerns are his health (far and away the biggest concern, which also relates to his age), and his length. I also wonder if he's strong enough to hold the edge in the NFL. It's really all about the medicals. I know I blasted his RAS score, but that's not because I don't like him, I just think if he did the agility testing that score would drop.

Chop Robinson and Dallas Turner have the highest upside, IMO. I don't think Turner is a great scheme fit, especially against the run. Still haven't gone back to rewatch him, though.

Verse is kind of a mess, but he's tenacious and strong.

I don't think I'd have a huge problem with any of them at #15, but Verse is my least favorite.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, smittywerb said:

Well with free agency underway and Majority of the moves being made, I figure I update my personal big board of picks at 15.  

1.  Dallas Turner/Latu:  figure I put these two together because one or the other may be available.  I’ve said it in another post, we ranked 30th hurries and 3 of our DL ranked in the top 20 of pass and rush win rate (Samson ranked in both).  Kwitty was the only one to not rank in either and rushing with the front 4 is very important in this scheme.  We need to pressure the qb more.  I know the scheme plays a part but we need personnel for the scheme to work correctly.  Either turner or latu would replace kwitty and gives us a nice balanced rush with our front 4.

2.  Brock Bowers:  in todays nfl, your qb is the end all be all and if he isn’t Mahomes, you need to surround him with great weapons.  Brock is that.  He can lineup anywhere and produce.  He’d fit right in Shane system and the things that he’d scheme up for Brock I can only dream about.  

3.  BTJ:  same reason as Brock, we need to get AR weapons.  I’m sorry, I’m not an Alec Pierce believer.  Can AP thrive with AR, yes.  But go’s and deep posts are only going to get you so far with a 4.4 speed.  We need a dynamic burner who can do damage at ALL levels.  BTJ is that.  BTJ is what JJ was to Chase at LSU.  Not saying BTJ can be JJ, but he’s right behind that top 3 group wrs this draft (MHJ, Odunze, Nabers).  He fits the Ballard mold and would provide an instant impact opposite of MPJ.

4.  Arnold:  best CB in the draft.  Not the fastest, but his tape shows he can be a CB1 and played in the SEC against tough comp.  He can play opposite of Brents and fill an immediate need after not grabbing a CB in FA.

5.  Quinyon Mitchell:  probably would be CB1 in this draft but he played at Toledo.  Tape also is very good.  4.3 speed, and had a great senior bowl.  My only knock is he played at Toledo (personal opinion).  Other than that, if the above 4 are gone, I don’t mind going with him.

note:  I know safety is missing.  That’s because this draft is considered to be a weak safety class.  Think we should go vet with diggs and resigning blackmon

Good post. Without out a trade-up, which I think will not happen, I believe only Arnold and BTJ may be there at at 15 - with BTJ most likely. Despite the obvious needs on defense, I am on the WR train. I think it would only help Taylor and the run game, as well as leverage AR's physical tools.

I think the defensive secondary would benefit from some  veteran additions. Although drafting 15 is not ideal for one of the top we's on this draft. I hope Ballard makes it a priority to secure a day one stretch-the- field starter at WR opposite Pittman. As it stands, I believe this would have the biggest on the field impact heading into the season for the Colts.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Superman said:

In the first round?

I think Latu is the best pass rusher. My concerns are his health (far and away the biggest concern, which also relates to his age), and his length. I also wonder if he's strong enough to hold the edge in the NFL. It's really all about the medicals. I know I blasted his RAS score, but that's not because I don't like him, I just think if he did the agility testing that score would drop.

Chop Robinson and Dallas Turner have the highest upside, IMO. I don't think Turner is a great scheme fit, especially against the run. Still haven't gone back to rewatch him, though.

Verse is kind of a mess, but he's tenacious and strong.

I don't think I'd have a huge problem with any of them at #15, but Verse is my least favorite.

I think Verse is the one that probably fits best what Ballard likes. :woah: He has length and explosiveness... if there is two traits that Ballard loves in his linemen it's those two and apart from Turner, who as you say might not be scheme fit, he probably is the best of all of them at those things. 

5 minutes ago, stitches said:

I think Verse is the one that probably fits best what Ballard likes. :woah: He has length and explosiveness... if there is two traits that Ballard loves in his linemen it's those two and apart from Turner, who as you say might not be scheme fit, he probably is the best of all of them at those things. 

With poor agility numbers... 

I really think three cone and shuttle are undervalued, and it looks like none of the edge guys did them this year.

9 minutes ago, Superman said:

With poor agility numbers... 

I really think three cone and shuttle are undervalued, and it looks like none of the edge guys did them this year.

Agreed. Wish we had more of those numbers. A grand total of FIVE pass-rushers did the 3cone :( 6 did the shuttle... 

BTW... look at those numbers for Marshawn Kneeland: 

- 3 cone = 7.02

- shuttle = 4.18 

He did that at 6'3" 267lbs... 34+ inch arms too... 

He's projected as a 2nd-3d rounder... I wouldn't be shocked if he was a Ballard guy. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Solid84 said:

From PFF.com

I believe one of the PFF guys he's going to start using the GAS score heavily into his personal big board for WRs, because WRs that score well have a much higher hit rate than those who don't. Apparently Puka Nacua was around like the 98th percentile. RAS doesn't matter if the player can't get open and move with the ball in his hands.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dobbinblitz said:

Good post. Without out a trade-up, which I think will not happen, I believe only Arnold and BTJ may be there at at 15 - with BTJ most likely. Despite the obvious needs on defense, I am on the WR train. I think it would only help Taylor and the run game, as well as leverage AR's physical tools.

I think the defensive secondary would benefit from some  veteran additions. Although drafting 15 is not ideal for one of the top we's on this draft. I hope Ballard makes it a priority to secure a day one stretch-the- field starter at WR opposite Pittman. As it stands, I believe this would have the biggest on the field impact heading into the season for the Colts.

Agreed,  I think right now we need to do whatever is best for ARs development.  This is a qb league.  Yes, we also need a great defense, but we also can’t fail another qb again.  

however, I wouldn’t be upset if we went corner at 15.  We could be able to get someone in the second.  Maybe not as good as BTJ, but good enough.  And I trust our team more with developing a WR than a corner.  Corner is just a tough position period 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, smittywerb said:

Agreed,  I think right now we need to do whatever is best for ARs development.  This is a qb league.  Yes, we also need a great defense, but we also can’t fail another qb again.  

however, I wouldn’t be upset if we went corner at 15.  We could be able to get someone in the second.  Maybe not as good as BTJ, but good enough.  And I trust our team more with developing a WR than a corner.  Corner is just a tough position period 

Regarding your list, it was interesting that PFF latest mock today had BTJ going at #12 and the Colts selecting Mitchell at #15 -- with Bowers and Arnold still on the Board. I would really hope that the Colts would not pass on Bowers if he was there and Thomas was gone.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, stitches said:

Agreed. Wish we had more of those numbers. A grand total of FIVE pass-rushers did the 3cone :( 6 did the shuttle... 

BTW... look at those numbers for Marshawn Kneeland: 

- 3 cone = 7.02

- shuttle = 4.18 

He did that at 6'3" 267lbs... 34+ inch arms too... 

He's projected as a 2nd-3d rounder... I wouldn't be shocked if he was a Ballard guy. 

Kneeland (and Mo Kamara) is my sleeper DE this season. He’s really impressed me during the pre-draft. 

4 hours ago, Solid84 said:

From PFF.com

No Ladd McConkey who ran a 4.4 ?

I have to question this whole ranking

Just now, PRnum1 said:

No Ladd McConkey who ran a 4.4 ?

I have to question this whole ranking

It's RAS. It's not about straight-line speed. It's a way to grade their in-game athleticism.

Just now, stitches said:

@Superman I found Latu's 3cone and shuttle from his pro day:

It seems like he weighed 8 pounds heavier than at the combine. The 3cone is actually pretty good. 

Nice. I just looked earlier today and didn't see any results. Those are good numbers, at an increased weight. I'm a little skeptical because of the setting...

I just ran the calculator, if we use the 259 weight from the Combine, his RAS is 9.34. If we use the pro day weight of 267, it goes up to 9.58. We're looking at more of a Ballard type of prospect now. Still moderate length and explosiveness, but I like the three cone. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Superman said:

Nice. I just looked earlier today and didn't see any results. Those are good numbers, at an increased weight. I'm a little skeptical because of the setting...

I just ran the calculator, if we use the 259 weight from the Combine, his RAS is 9.34. If we use the pro day weight of 267, it goes up to 9.58. We're looking at more of a Ballard type of prospect now. Still moderate length and explosiveness, but I like the three cone. 

Yeah, I added the RAS with the agility scores above. 9.30... 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

It's RAS. It's not about straight-line speed. It's a way to grade their in-game athleticism.

Mcconkey had a RAS of 9.4

So why is he not on the list ?

And let's not forget that Puca Nacua had a RAS of 5.0.

Ballard wouldn't have touched him with a 10 foot pole.

Some guys like Puca and Mcconkey just know how to play football. 

Forget about RAS and GAS scores

1 minute ago, PRnum1 said:

Because GAS is about how athletic you are in game. RAS is about testing off the field with no pads, helmet and so on. RAS doesn't always translate to the field. Apparently that's the case with McConkey.

9 hours ago, krunk said:

I really like Xavier Legette! Heck I would take him at 15 personally.  

I like what I see as well. But what do you think about the fact that he's a 5th year senior, with virtually zero production prior to this season? He's 3 years older than most of his competition. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, PRnum1 said:

RAS is based on their testing at the combine and pro days. GAS is supposed to be PFFs attempt to quantify in-game functional athleticism. Right now it's proprietary and a black box so we don't know exactly how they get to their numbers, but despite Nacua having low RAS, PFF's GAS score put him among the top of receivers. And this was before he became a sensation in the league. They might have something there... I guess we will see in the future how this thing goes. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Solid84 said:

I think the only guy worth taking in the first at safety is Cooper DeJean, but even he’s a tradeback target. 

I don't really like him... Someone is going to have to talk me through it with him.

2 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

Because GAS is about how athletic you are in game. RAS is about testing off the field with no pads, helmet and so on. RAS doesn't always translate to the field. Apparently that's the case with McConkey.

Really ? Let's take a look at McConkey going against one of the best defenses in college football Florida State

https://www.espn.co.uk/video/clip?id=39211513

6 minutes ago, Superman said:

I don't really like him... Someone is going to have to talk me through it with him.

To be clear, I wouldn't take him at 15. To me he's a 25-32 pick guy.

He's just hyper athletic, but as I said to another poster he's one of those freak athletes who haven't locked down a position yet. We've seen that before and it's often really hit and miss with those guys.

Just now, PRnum1 said:

Really ? Let's take a look at McConkey going against one of the best defenses in college football Florida State

I loved most of McConkey's film I watched... until I put the Alabama tape on. Both Arnold and McKinstry kinda of... manhandled him. I guess this is the biggest worry with him - his physicality and surviving first contact on press-coverage.

Here's a hot take... I think I like Ricky Pearsall better than McConkey and I still do like McConkey too... 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, PRnum1 said:

Why are you latching onto McConkey? What point are you trying to make?

The GAS list from above was not comprehensive... He wasn't on it because apparently his score has not been published.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Solid84 said:

Hey man, take it up with PFF. I don't know how they meassure this, but there is a connection with high GAS scores and who turns out to be starters at WR.

We're you impressed by the athleticism shown by McConkey on the field against Florida State?

2 minutes ago, PRnum1 said:

We're you impressed by the athleticism shown by McConkey on the field against Florida State?

I didn't watch it, because one game is mostly irrelevant to me. It's the body of work.

I like McConkey though and as Superman said, the list I posted wasn't comprehensive, because the other WR scores haven't been published.

• Like 1