Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts have the 15th pick in the draft. (MERGE)

8 minutes ago, stitches said:

Some OL experts are suggesting there might be 10 starting centers in this draft... this would be insane if it happens. 

Let's say the Colts take Jackson Powers-Johnson in the second round, does Ryan Kelly cause trouble?

Just now, Superman said:

Let's say the Colts take Jackson Powers-Johnson in the second round, does Ryan Kelly cause trouble?

The real question is... should we care if he does(in the long-term that is)? This is his last year under contract and he will be 32 by the start of the 2025 season... Ballard is absolutely within his rights to prepare the team with Kelly's successor, especially if we are feeling like we need to budget the expenses on the OL with impending contract for Raimann... 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Superman said:

Reich is no longer here. I do not see Steichen putting up with it if that were the case.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dobbinblitz said:

Reich is no longer here. I do not see Steichen putting up with it if that were the case.

Steichen was here during the JT saga. It's not the same, but my point is Steichen doesn't solve every problem just by being in the building.

4 minutes ago, stitches said:

The real question is... should we care if he does(in the long-term that is)? This is his last year under contract and he will be 32 by the start of the 2025 season... Ballard is absolutely within his rights to prepare the team with Kelly's successor, especially if we are feeling like we need to budget the expenses on the OL with impending contract for Raimann... 

I agree, it's Ballard's responsibility to find Kelly's successor, and the fact that everyone else has been re-upped except for him is probably a concern of his. You can expect that concern to multiply significantly if we draft a center early. 

Should we care? Maybe... if you have someone throwing off the vibes, it could be problematic, and issues like this can snowball. Not that it would stop me from drafting anyone, but they should be prepared for whatever happens next.

7 minutes ago, Superman said:

Steichen was here during the JT saga. It's not the same, but my point is Steichen doesn't solve every problem just by being in the building.

I agree, it's Ballard's responsibility to find Kelly's successor, and the fact that everyone else has been re-upped except for him is probably a concern of his. You can expect that concern to multiply significantly if we draft a center early. 

Should we care? Maybe... if you have someone throwing off the vibes, it could be problematic, and issues like this can snowball. Not that it would stop me from drafting anyone, but they should be prepared for whatever happens next.

Very True. I just think there is a much higher level of accountability and a culture shift to go along with it. Both can go a long way towards aiding and assisting self-policing of the lockeroom

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Superman said:

The way I feel about it is - if the rumors about him considering retirement are true... maybe he will be OK with it and be a good mentor to the new guy in his final year and the Colts can give him a warm send off into retirement after the season. If he wants to keep playing... it will serve as motivation to show other teams that he still has it and they can give him another big contract. He doesn't strike me as a guy who will make huge problems or be malcontent of any sort. He might be disappointed, but I don't see that as a reason to not draft a guy we really like and think can be our center of the next 5-10 years... 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, stitches said:

The way I feel about it is - if the rumors about him considering retirement are true... maybe he will be OK with it and be a good mentor to the new guy in his final year and the Colts can give him a warm send off into retirement after the season. If he wants to keep playing... it will serve as motivation to show other teams that he still has it and they can give him another big contract. He doesn't strike me as a guy who will make huge problems or be malcontent of any sort. He might be disappointed, but I don't see that as a reason to not draft a guy we really like and think can be our center of the next 5-10 years... 

He's put the retirement rumors to rest, at least to my satisfaction. I wouldn't expect him to rock the boat either way, and it wouldn't change my draft strategy at all. I was just thinking out loud, especially since he commented on his contract situation the other day. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Superman said:

He's put the retirement rumors to rest, at least to my satisfaction. I wouldn't expect him to rock the boat either way, and it wouldn't change my draft strategy at all. I was just thinking out loud, especially since he commented on his contract situation the other day. 

I must have missed that. What did he say about his contract? 

Edit: I just saw it. Yeah... he seems like he wants to keep playing. Scratch that doubt in my previous post. Well... yeah. I guess... whatever Ballard decides, I'd be OK with it I think. BTW... is it possible we draft a new guy early(day 2) and we trade Kelly? Any contender needing a C? 

4 minutes ago, stitches said:

Completely agree. He has been through 3 HC's, 2 GM's and has been a Team Rep. He knows how this all works. He knows if he does his job he will get a 3rd contract - may not be with Colts - but he will be supporting his family and continuing his career. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, stitches said:

I'm fine with drafting  another center or any oline

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, stitches said:

Plus Kelly had another concussion last season, which brings it to 4 total I believe? The Colts got to have concerns about that.

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, Superman said:

Nope. Besides the colts and Ryan Kelly have been really close and they’ve supported him with his personal life tragedies. I think he’d be supportive 

1 minute ago, ChuggaBeer said:

I've been saying this for months 

20 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Agreed. I am really hoping defense with 1st two picks. I believe this team needs a FS and corner badly.

You don’t take a FS in the first… and CBs, meh in the middle or upper first

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Sure we may score 32 points a game but I bet we give up the same on defence. Defense needs talent big time. Need a starting corner, free safety, and RDE.

And even if the Colts offered all 7 picks, it wouldn't be enough lol

The point values from the trade chart work.  Pierce would help out.  We have cap space to sign a corner and or safety.  Simmons and Diggs are still available.  It’s easy to believe our young corners from last year will improve.  It could definitely work.  

11 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Nope. Besides the colts and Ryan Kelly have been really close and they’ve supported him with his personal life tragedies. I think he’d be supportive 

That's a fair point.

What makes this year a little different heading into the Colts draft ( Besides having all their own picks) is the Money Ballard freed up from the Buckner restructure.

The timing is interesting in that the Colts are at least prepared to absorb a proven veteran contract heading into the draft. 

37 minutes ago, stitches said:

I must have missed that. What did he say about his contract? 

Edit: I just saw it. Yeah... he seems like he wants to keep playing. Scratch that doubt in my previous post. Well... yeah. I guess... whatever Ballard decides, I'd be OK with it I think. BTW... is it possible we draft a new guy early(day 2) and we trade Kelly? Any contender needing a C? 

I doubt it. I'm not against it, but it's not likely, IMO. And I think OL depth will be important, so I'd probably rather keep him anyway, unless someone is making an amazing offer for him.

2 minutes ago, Dobbinblitz said:

What makes this year a little different heading into the Colts draft ( Besides having all their own picks) is the Money Ballard freed up from the Buckner restructure.

The timing is interesting in that the Colts are at least prepared to absorb a proven veteran contract heading into the draft. 

Perhaps but I doubt it

34 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Agreed. I am really hoping defense with 1st two picks. I believe this team needs a FS and corner badly.

Definitely  not it is an offensive  league we need atleast one weapon  for Richardson  that is good enough  to beat out pierce. Not sure we will find that in the third

1 minute ago, csmopar said:

You don’t take a FS in the first… and CBs, meh in the middle or upper first

There are some very good CB's in the 1st.   And from what I understand Desean (sp?)

can play both 

10 minutes ago, Superman said:

I doubt it. I'm not against it, but it's not likely, IMO. And I think OL depth will be important, so I'd probably rather keep him anyway, unless someone is making an amazing offer for him.

Colts get Powers-Johnson in R2 and you get a call from the Cowboys or Steelers asking for Ryan Kelly. They are offering #87(#84) for Kelly. Do you take it? What if it's not pick in the 80s(3d) but rather 119(PIT's 4th)? 

6 minutes ago, Dobbinblitz said:

I am kinda leaning toward your thinking.        But.   Most yrs Ballard has a number of how many players have 1st round talent.   Question for you historians.    Isnt 11-14 or what ever he said.  More than normal?     Isnt it usually around 8-10?

If he doesn't get who he wants.  I am guessing/sure/mostly guessing he has some feelers out on a player or two.   Aiuk (sp?) is very intriguing to me  after a trade back 

• Like 1

Colts get Powers-Johnson in R2 and you get a call from the Cowboys or Steelers asking for Ryan Kelly. They are offering #87(#84) for Kelly. Do you take it? 

Can't Kelly also play guard?   Can P-J?

For whatever it's worth... Matt Miller said on Mina Kimes' podcast that he's hearing the Colts might take Worthy as the 4th WR in the draft. Said he's hearing "we need speed, we need speed" from the Colts. The thing is... Brian Thomas fits that description too... and so does AD Mitchell... 

• Like 1

Just now, stitches said:

If you want to play them together... I'd probably try JPJ at RG rather than Kelly. 

Would certainly give JPJ some education on how to call the oline.       It's really not a bad idea 

• Like 1

If you want to play them together... I'd probably try JPJ at RG rather than Kelly. 

JPJ played some Guard, actually started out as DT.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Definitely  not it is an offensive  league we need atleast one weapon  for Richardson  that is good enough  to beat out pierce. Not sure we will find that in the third

In an offensive league wouldn't it be prudent to have some sort of a defense? Do you plan  on  out scoring teams 37-35 every game? Plus like i have said in other posts. You go all pass happy and you will leave Richardson open up for injury if you are passing all day . This team paid Taylor big money and I expect this team to still be run centric and I think that is going to surprise people. Protect the defense by burning time and keeping them off the field. You score, they score, you score, they score and its a vicious cycle lol.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ChuggaBeer said:

I am kinda leaning toward your thinking.        But.   Most yrs Ballard has a number of how many players have 1st round talent.   Question for you historians.    Isnt 11-14 or what ever he said.  More than normal?     Isnt it usually around 8-10?

If he doesn't get who he wants.  I am guessing/sure/mostly guessing he has some feelers out on a player or two.   Aiuk (sp?) is very intriguing to me  after a trade back 

Yeah, maybe a  back burner move if the draft does not fall like he expects it to. Something where he refuses to come out of this draft without - one way or another. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, stitches said:

Colts get Powers-Johnson in R2 and you get a call from the Cowboys or Steelers asking for Ryan Kelly. They are offering #87(#84) for Kelly. Do you take it? 

I think I'd have to, right?

Third round comp pick value is above $20m/year now, so we know we're not getting that if Kelly walks in free agency. I think JPJ can play on Day 1, and we have backup quality guys in Pinter (assuming he's healthy) and French. I can use that pick (84 or 87) right now. And I'm freeing up $12m in 2024 cap, and can use a third of that to go sign my favorite free agent lineman after the draft.

More likely, the very best we could get for Kelly would be a late 5th, in which case I don't feel compelled to accept.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Superman said:

I think I'd have to, right?

Third round comp pick value is above $20m/year now, so we know we're not getting that if Kelly walks in free agency. I think JPJ can play on Day 1, and we have backup quality guys in Pinter (assuming he's healthy) and French. I can use that pick (84 or 87) right now. And I'm freeing up $12m in 2024 cap, and can use a third of that to go sign my favorite free agent lineman after the draft.

More likely, the very best we could get for Kelly would be a late 5th, in which case I don't feel compelled to accept.

What if Dallas asks you to take on that 2024 salary for the 3d?

18 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

In an offensive league wouldn't it be prudent to have some sort of a defense? Do you plan  on  out scoring teams 37-35 every game? Plus like i have said in other posts. You go all pass happy and you will leave Richardson open up for injury if you are passing all day . This team paid Taylor big money and I expect this team to still be run centric and I think that is going to surprise people. Protect the defense by burning time and keeping them off the field. You score, they score, you score, they score and its a vicious cycle lol.

The rules are set up for offensive people  to prosper. Also defense isn't  that bad to begin  with injuries and offense  not staying on field long enough  also affects that. Drafting an offensive  play maker helps offense  stay on field and keeps defense fresher. 

29 minutes ago, stitches said:

Colts get Powers-Johnson in R2 and you get a call from the Cowboys or Steelers asking for Ryan Kelly. They are offering #87(#84) for Kelly. Do you take it? What if it's not pick in the 80s(3d) but rather 119(PIT's 4th)? 

I kind of lean toward keeping Kelly. OL depth is still an issue the Colts. You can still draft Haynes or frazier later Both starting caliber Center/Guards later in the draft. Let AR get his feet under him with an experienced OL. 

22 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Put this way if pittman  gets hurt are you really comfortable  with pierce as the number one. IM NOT.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1