Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Extend Buckner. **Contract Details Updated Page 2, Spoiler it's Really BIG Savings**

CR91

On 4/16/2024 at 2:52 PM, richard pallo said:

Apparently he thinks we are Super Bowl contenders.

I think what I gathered from his interview, his family is in a good place here in Indy. He is a loyal person and believes in the organizations trajectory. 

11 hours ago, Dobbinblitz said:

Well, it appears Ballard will have fluid monies available to jump on a post June cut, or swing a deal in August if AR's progression is promising. We also may see a sizable UFA signings post draft. Interesting departure for Ballard for sure. I had to read it twice!

UFAs are like UFOs.

When you see it, you believe it  :funny:

• Like 1

Earlier in the offseason I mentioned the Colts would be wise to extend Buckner this year and lock him down where he hopefully can retire a Colt.  

With the news heating back up around Brandon Aiyuk requesting a trade again and the success we have found with other former 49er's (Buckner, Ebukam) if the updated cap space wouldn't be a tempting topic to add Aiyuk.   I would propose a trade back swap our Round 1 picks.  Biggest issue with extending Aiyuk is we have a lot of talented players who will be free agents in 2025.  Paye would get rookie contract extended.  Other player trade option wouldn't mind is acquiring Edge Maxx Crosby.

Very happy to have both Buckner-Stewart for a few more years creating a dynamic defensive unit. Now just need to build around them.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, OhioColt said:

Earlier in the offseason I mentioned the Colts would be wise to extend Buckner this year and lock him down where he hopefully can retire a Colt.  

With the news heating back up around Brandon Aiyuk requesting a trade again and the success we have found with other former 49er's (Buckner, Ebukam) if the updated cap space wouldn't be a tempting topic to add Aiyuk.   I would propose a trade back swap our Round 1 picks.  Biggest issue with extending Aiyuk is we have a lot of talented players who will be free agents in 2025.  Paye would get rookie contract extended.  Other player trade option wouldn't mind is acquiring Edge Maxx Crosby.

Very happy to have both Buckner-Stewart for a few more years creating a dynamic defensive unit. Now just need to build around them.

Aiyuk is going to cost quite a bit more than that. He’s a top 10 WR.

Props to @w87r for guessing right that Ballard might push some money forward in time. I still find it interesting that he did that. Makes little sense unless something's in the works. Maybe smaller backload would have been understandable to give us a bit more wiggle room for in-season moves, but this looks suspiciously large backload of that contract.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, stitches said:

Props to @w87r for guessing right that Ballard might push some money forward in time. I still find it interesting that he did that. Makes little sense unless something's in the works. Maybe smaller backload would have been understandable to give us a bit more wiggle room for in-season moves, but this looks suspiciously large backload of that contract.

Appreciate it, but that's not needed.

Now if we wouldn't of pushed money forward, I would of definitely gave you'll props, because I think that would of been a much harder prediction than mine.

I was pretty confident we were going to, didn't see it as a big projection or anything.

Was surprised had how much, that's for sure though.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, stitches said:

I think many of us expected his cap hit to go down a little bit.  But a reduction of this magnitude was certainly not expected especially just before the draft.  Hard not think it’s a sign that another move is on the horizon.

2 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I think many of us expected his cap hit to go down a little bit.  But a reduction of this magnitude was certainly not expected especially just before the draft.  Hard not think it’s a sign that another move is on the horizon.

Pray I Hope GIF

• Like 1

Not sure why I'm saying this - likely because I am fresh off a happy hour. But I freaking love DFo.  I've watched him since he was in HS pretty closely. Him and Arik Armstead were in the same recruiting class. AA was looked at as a generational OT prospect while DFo was a good but not great DT. They both were immediately in the 2 deep at Oregon, but DFo was better from the first snap, both as 34 DEs. DFo stayed an extra year and played something like 90 snaps a game as a SR. I'm blabbering, but he's been such a joy to watch for the last decade plus

Side note- if we get Troy Franklin I'm going to lose my s%&#.  And if it happens I'll tell my story of his dad and younger brother at a BBQ joint after his 2nd college game