Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts offseason discussion / Ballard Grievances (merge)

6 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Because Richardson is the starter…

There is no other logical reason to sign him.  Also do you really think Ballard didn’t factor all that in before signing him?  This isn’t rocket science.

So Ballard's biggest concern for the backup is coaching along Richardson?

What make Flacco a better coach than any other veteran QB. Do you know that Flacco has some certain credentials that make him one of top outstanding teachers among quarterbacks? 

The more logical reason would be, what many here are saying. He played well in the final 5 games for the Browns

5 minutes ago, tweezy32 said:

Uh ohhhh

I had honestly forgotten he was suspended.  I was just glad he was gone.  Honestly I forgot he was here last year until I saw he got picked up and then went glad he won’t be here this year.

Just now, 1959Colts said:

What make Flacco a better coach than any other veteran QB. Do oy know that Flacco has some certain credentials that make him one of top outstanding teachers among quarterbacks? 

Because he’s won a Super Bowl, has a wealth of NFL experience, and won’t need to take practice reps from Richardson who badly needs them after last year.  Again, this is not rocket science.  He fits the very mold of putting a vet QB behind a young QB to help teach them.  Teams have done this for decades.  This is nothing new.  

3 minutes ago, dw49 said:

I think it's been years since the Colts kicked the salary cap can down the road ? I think if they were to % gears now , Smith would be the most likely . 

Surgery is a little scary to make that move I think.

3 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Because he’s won a Super Bowl, has a wealth of NFL experience, and won’t need to take practice reps from Richardson who badly needs them after last year.  Again, this is not rocket science.  He fits the very mold of putting a vet QB behind a young QB to help teach them.  Teams have done this for decades.  This is nothing new.  

Do you know for sure that Flacco is some brilliant teacher of QBs? Is that something you heard? He has a special quality to work with young players? Like I said, perhaps that's not the type of person he is? Maybe he is a great teacher? Or maybe hes just a dumb jock? 

• Like 1

Just now, ArmchairQB said:

Honestly I sold have preferred we kept Minshew but we could’ve done worse.  I’m ok with it

Would you have paid Minshew $25 million over two years to back up Richardson because that’s what it would have cost?  That’s also if you can get past the Raiders can offer him a chance to compete to start and the Colts can’t.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Matt Hasselbeck for example… 

10 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I had honestly forgotten he was suspended.  I was just glad he was gone.  Honestly I forgot he was here last year until I saw he got picked up and then went glad he won’t be here this year.

This kind of makes me nervous as to what will come out about the Colts (if it’s true & serious). Our team needs a break from bad press for 2-3 years lol

8 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

What make Flacco a better coach than any other veteran QB. Do you know that Flacco has some certain credentials that make him one of top outstanding teachers among quarterbacks? 

The more logical reason would be, what many here are saying. He played well in the final 5 games for the Browns

It does seem a bit weird how we praise Steichen for being a QB guru for the mobile kind....Herbert, Hurts, and SS being a reason to drat the most mobile rookie QB last year.   And now to sign probably the most immobile QB doesn't really seem like a forward-looking move, more like a signing because he was about the only QB left?  (Jimmy G..who probably wants more money?)

I can see the value of him being a mentor, throwing the deep ball, and being a competent emergency QB; but I think I would prefer Sam to be inserted to run the AR offense before Flacco

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

Do you know for sure that Flacco is some brilliant teacher of QBs? Is that something you heard? He has a special quality to work with young players? Like I said, perhaps that's not the type of person he is? Maybe he is a great teacher? Or maybe hes just a dumb jock? 

Well one way to find out. And it’s a 1 year deal. Not a cap killer. 

Just now, Colts1324 said:

This kind of makes me nervous as to what will come out about the Colts (if it’s true & serious). Our team needs a break from bad press for 2-3 years lol

Not me.  As I said before, if it were actually anything major, the union would have been involved and the media all over it. 

Just now, GoColts8818 said:

Would you have paid Minshew $25 million over two years to back up Richardson because that’s what it would have cost?  That’s also if you can get past the Raiders can offer him a chance to compete to start and the Colts can’t.

I did not want GM back, even at a low cost. Thats the reason I did not like the Flacco signing.  I was hoping we would acquire or draft a mobile, athletic, QB similar qualities to Richardson. and would like to see what Sam could have done if called upon.

Now Sam will either be cut, Or entrenched on the taxi squad.

1 minute ago, DougDew said:

It does seem a bit weird how we praise Steichen for being a QB guru for the mobile kind....Herbert, Hurts, and SS being a reason to drat the most mobile rookie QB last year.   And now to sign probably the most immobile QB doesn't really seem like a forward-looking move, more like a signing because he was about the only QB left?  (Jimmy G..who probably wants more money?)

I can see the value of him being a mentor, throwing the deep ball, and being a competent emergency QB; but I think I would prefer Sam to be inserted to run the AR offense before Flacco

And that might be the plan anyway. Never know

• Like 2

Just now, AKB said:

Flacco aint a bad choice for a mentor

He’s a great choice and showed he can still play when he has protection. And his run last year was without an offseason. He’ll have a full offseason with the Colts in 2024.

• Like 1

Just now, csmopar said:

Not me.  As I said before, if it were actually anything major, the union would have been involved and the media all over it. 

McKenzie's inability to shut his mouth is probably what got him in trouble to begin with. remember the Colts Cam all the players said he talked a lot, still is apparently. him and tony Brown

• Thanks 1

I did not want GM back, even at a low cost. Thats the reason I did not like the Flacco signing.  I was hoping we would acquire or draft a mobile, athletic, QB similar qualities to Richardson. and would like to see what Sam could have done if called upon.

Now Sam will either be cut, Or entrenched on the taxi squad.

No, he won’t. He was active every game day last year even as the 3rd QB. It’ll be the same this year

Just now, csmopar said:

No, he won’t. He was active every game day last year even as the 3rd QB. It’ll be the same this year

Which really is no better than just cutting him. Unless both AR and Flacco go down? Sam will go through, another year on the bench

12 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

Dear God dude you are just arguing to be right at this point.  NFL teams often pair a veteran QB with a young QB to teach them and not take away from their practice reps.  This is nothing new, it’s even a role Flacco has had before.  The Colts have also done this before having Mark Rypien and later Brock Huard here to back up Peyton early in his career followed by Matt Hasselbeck here to back up Luck early in his career.  It happens to just about every team in the league who has a young QB.  

So knowing that and knowing that Ballard brought Minshew in last year part because he could help teach Richardson it’s reasonable to assume that’s what he’s looking for in a back up now.  Do you think Ballard just signed Flacco without knowing what kind of person he is and without telling him the role he would have here?  Do you think Flacco doesn’t know this?  Why else would Ballard sign Flacco?  To compete with Richardson for the starting job?  That’s just ridiculous.  They wanted a vet back up who won’t take reps from Richardson who can step in a pinch but also help develop Richardson.  If they just cared about the first two things they would have just gone with Sam as the backup.  

So ask yourself what Flacco has that Sam doesn’t?  NFL experience that he can use to help mentor Richardson.  This is no different when someone starts at a new job and you pair them up with an experienced employee for a little while to try to pass on that experience.  It doesn’t mean that experienced employee is the greatest teacher on the planet (but odds are you have faith in them being able to teach or you wouldn’t have them doing it) it just means they have seen things the new kid hasn’t and can help them deal with those situations as they see them for the first time.  

Again, this is nothing original or even that controversial.  It’s pretty much standard operating procedure for NFL teams with a young QB they are trying to bring along.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, CR91 said:

Flacco wasn't who I had in mind, but a vet to help AR who knows Shane's offense helps

if ballard signed someone we expected or wanted, we'd have to make sure it's really him and not some clone pretending to be him!

1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

Dear God dude you are just arguing to be right at this point.  NFL teams often pair a veteran QB with a young QB to teach them and not take away from their practice reps.  This is nothing new, it’s even a role Flacco has had before.  The Colts have also done this before having Mark Rypien and later Brock Huard here to back up Peyton early in his career followed by Matt Hasselbeck here to back up Luck early in his career.  It happens to just about every team in the league who has a young QB.  

So knowing that and knowing that Ballard brought Minshew in last year part because he could help teach Richardson it’s reasonable to assume that’s what he’s looking for in a back up now.  Do you think Ballard just signed Flacco without knowing what kind of person he is and without telling him the role he would have here?  Do you think Flacco doesn’t know this?  Why else would Ballard sign Flacco?  To compete with Richardson for the starting job?  That’s just ridiculous.  They wanted a vet back up who won’t take reps from Richardson who can step in a pinch but also help develop Richardson.  If they just cared about the first two things they would have just gone with Sam as the backup.  

So ask yourself what Flacco have that Sam doesn’t?  NFL experience that he can use to help mentor Richardson.  This is no different when someone starts at a new job and you pair them up with an experienced employee for a little while to try to pass on that experience.  It doesn’t mean that experience employee is the greatest teacher on the planet it just means they have seen things the new kid hasn’t and can help them deal with those situations as they see them for the first time.  

Again, this is nothing original or even that controversial.  It’s pretty much standard operating procedure for NFL teams with a young QB they are trying to bring along.  

This is why I stopped responding to him. Dude is just doing his best to convince himself and others he is right. Any coach in the NFL would LOVE to have Flacco as a backup. 

• Like 1

Just now, csmopar said:

Okay and?

Well. I was just saying, I would have liked for Sam to have gotten a chance. And if he stunk, then go with the rookie QB, or vice versa. The Flacco signing is the same thing again. Like Minshew was.

Well. I was just saying, I would have liked for Sam to have gotten a chance. And if he stunk, then go with the rookie QB, or vice versa. The Flacco signing is the same thing again. Like Minshew was.

That chance was basically over after the Patriots game in 2022. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Patrick Miller said:

Maybe Sam gets cut? Do you think the colts

keep

him around or

maybe draft another qb ?

i don't see a reason to cut him, personally. 

15 minutes ago, Colts1324 said:

I really don’t care about what the national media says about the Colts.  It just impacts fans.  I am sure in NFL circles they already know why he was suspended.  Guys talk even if they don’t talk publicly.  

Just now, RollerColt said:

That chance was basically over after the Patriots game in 2022. 

That is a terrible game to blame on Ehlinger. Probably, the worst blocking performance in the Colts history. Perhaps even in the leagues history? Reichs coaching was atrocious. Bill Belichick made our coaching and line look like fools. No QB could have played well under those conditions.

1 minute ago, 1959Colts said:

That is a terrible game to blame on Ehlinger. Probably, the worst blocking performance in the Colts history. Perhaps even in the leagues history? Reichs coaching was atrocious. Bill Belichick made our coaching and line look like fools. No QB could have played well under those conditions.

Is it unfair? Yes. But look, it’s now 2024. He’s been with the team and even though we don’t see his work, the rest of the team does. The coaching staff and Ballard know who Sam is. And for them he’s a QB3. Sorry.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, AKB said:

i don't see a reason to cut him, personally. 

They’d have to add another QB first and I don’t think they will.  That’s just someone else to take snaps away from Richardson in camp and pre-season games because you have decide who to keep Sam or the other kid as the emergency QB.  They know Sam can do that role so they will probably just keep him at that.

8 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Is it unfair? Yes. But look, it’s now 2024. He’s been with the team and even though we don’t see his work, the rest of the team does. The coaching staff and Ballard know who Sam is. And for them he’s a QB3. Sorry.

Right. Sam got thrown out there (by Irsay?) vs NE. the team was a mess. then Saturday came in and went back to Ryan.

Steichen come over and the new staff and Ballard wasn't confident enough in Sam to give him the job. So they paid Minshew, and again Sam never got a chance. Now Flacco is here and it's another repeat. Sam will be out of Indy, maybe this year?

I just would have liked to see him get a chance, with a good team, and all the starters playing. I'm not saying I'm convinced he would be good? But I also not convinced, he would'nt be

Just now, MikeCurtis said:

IMHO use a 5th on Milton

He would be QB2 in 1-2 years

I see Milton going lower. But that's who I want us to take. I thought maybe if we didnt sign a vet?  Just don't know if they do it now? But right, cut Sam and pick Milton.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, w87r said:

Surgery is a little scary to make that move I think.

Nelson seems to have chronic health issues that have affected his play and Buckner is getting a little old in the tooth .  I think Smith is the least of the 3 "evils."

5 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

Right. Sam got thrown out there (by Irsay?) vs NE. the team was a mess. then Saturday came in and went back to Ryan.

Steichen come over and the new staff and Ballard wasn't confident enough in Sam to give him the job. So they paid Minshew, and again Sam never got a chance. Now Flacco is here and it's another repeat. Sam will be out of Indy, maybe this year?

I just would have liked to see him get a chance, with a good team, and all the starters playing. I'm not saying I'm convinced he would be good? But I also not convinced, he would'nt be

I understand what you are saying but the coaches see Sam in preseason and can make better judgements on him than the fans

This is year 3 and if he was getting better, they probably wouldn’t have paid that much for Flacco