Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts offseason discussion / Ballard Grievances (merge)

2 minutes ago, Shive said:

Titans drastically overpaid for both of them.

He got the same contact amount as Jaylon Johnson, with more guaranteed (55M vs $48M). Johnson was considered to be one of the top CBs in the league last season, was a pro-bowler, and an all-pro. He deserved the contract he got. Sneed wasn't the best CB on the Chiefs and isn't close to Johnson's level. He could end up being a good player for the Titans, but I'm glad we're not paying that kind of money to him. Add in the knee injury concerns and that kind of guaranteed money is crazy.

and don't forget giving up the 3rd round pick

Just now, NFLfan said:

I agree. Does anyone remember when the Eagles were named "the Dream Team" after they won free agency that year? It did not help them win anything the following season.

I think Grisgson said the same thing here during his free agency frenzy. The moniker “Dream team” gives me PTSD 😂

3 minutes ago, adubb84 said:

I think Grisgson said the same thing here during his free agency frenzy. The moniker “Dream team” gives me PTSD 😂

I did not realize the Eagles' Dream Team was assembled 13 years ago (2011). They finished the following season at 8-8, I think.

The Eagles made several high-profile additions in the offseason, including Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, Nnamdi Asomugha, Vince Young, Ronnie Brown, Evan Mathis, Steve Smith from the rival New York Giants, and Jason Babin. With the numerous signings in addition to the previous years' players, Young later enthusiastically commented during a training camp interview, calling the 2011 Eagles a "dream team".[1]

These guys were considered great acquisitions then. Lol.

11 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

I agree. Does anyone remember when the Eagles were named "the Dream Team" after they won free agency that year? It did not help them win anything the following season.

This is about colts not really what titans have done. They don’t have one proven QB. Their second rounder has injury issues going back to college. The other one coming off an Achilles and was undrafted. Another 7th rounder. This is a premium position. Then add no safeties.

Then we head into the draft with probably adding another rookie to the mix. It’s a recipe for disaster.

If you’re going to pay a backup nose tackle that much save your ten million and let Grover go. There is no reason to have both. Ballards roster construction is so bad.

This isn’t even about Sneed. It’s about Ballard doing nothing to fix colts weakness.

44 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Two of the top free agents Ballard tried to get go to division rivals. He has to be the dumbest man alive.

Ballard has to be gone I’m sorry I’m done with him. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, adubb84 said:

Interesting. Who do you prefer? 

Idk, if it’s corner…I’m torn between Quinyon and Arnold.  

Quinyon tested very well, played well, and runs a 4.3.  But he also played Toledo.  Idk, something about those smaller school players, I’m always susceptible of them.  Just my personal opinion.

Arnold also tested, did run a 4.5 though.  But played much tougher competition.

im pretty sure one of those two will be available.  Me personally, I’d want to go wide receiver and get BTJ if he’s there at 15.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

This is about colts not really what titans have done. They don’t have one proven QB. Their second rounder has injury issues going back to college. The other one coming off an Achilles and was undrafted. Another 7th rounder. This is a premium position. Then add no safeties.

Then we head into the draft with probably adding another rookie to the mix. It’s a recipe for disaster.

If you’re going to pay a backup nose tackle that much save your ten million and let Grover go. There is no reason to have both. Ballards roster construction is so bad.

Yes we do need depth at nose tackle do you remember how bad the run defense became with Stewart out. 

There’s plenty of talent left in FA and if they do go CB in the first then it doesn’t make sense to pay big money for a FA. Safety is an issue but remember week 1 is far off and there’s plenty of time to improve. This team has very good depth, they just need a player here and there. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

Yes we do need depth at nose tackle do you remember how bad the run defense became with Stewart out. 

There’s plenty of talent left in FA and if they do go CB in the first then it doesn’t make sense to pay big money for a FA. Safety is an issue but remember week 1 is far off and there’s plenty of time to improve. This team has very good depth, they just need a player here and there. 

Yeah the Colts run defense gave up a full yard a carry more when Grover was out.  That’s not good.  I mean let’s be honest when people were talking about needs before free agency started a lot of people were yelling they couldn’t let Grover leave because they had nothing behind him.  So unquestionably they needed depth at DT.

Just now, Zoltan said:

I think a lot of people are overvaluing Sneed’s actual ability, I mean he isn’t even top 10

To me it’s more people had their hearts set on a splash move and thought Sneed was going to be the one and they got their hearts broken.

• Like 3

This isn’t even about not getting sneed. It’s about the lack of any moves in the secondary. There aren’t really any FA that I want anymore either. The safety market was loaded and yet we still have no safeties. What’s going yo happen when Brent’s long injury history continues and Flowers isn’t ready or doesn’t have that explosion back. Your form to jones and a couple rookies again. I am so done  rith him.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

You don’t need to play that much. Then sign Davis to be the starter and let Stewart go. You can’t pay everyone. Roster building has to start with paying for premium positions.  Ballards roster building is flawed.

• Like 2

Almost a decade in. 0 division titles, losing record, 1 playoff win. Texans lost their young franchise qb after ours. They have already rebuilt faster and won the division.

Ballard sucks. We are seriously going to waste an entire decade sticking with this dude.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

You don’t need to play that much. Then sign Davis to be the starter and let Stewart go. You can’t pay everyone. Roster building has to start with paying for premium positions.  Ballards roster building is flawed.

Davis is a $5m cap hit this year. His signing didn't prevent us from making other moves and we saw last season how god awful our depth at 1T was. It was a good move for a guy that has a solid floor as a good run defender and still has quite a bit of upside.

Just now, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Colds needed at least a FS and a vet CB. I could live letting cross play SS. It’s been a total failure. This CB room will be just like last year when everyone gets hurt again . Then everyone will blame the dline.

Relax GIF

There's still a few solid CBs out there and now that the Sneed log jam is done, we should see some movement. I see us bringing in a vet CB to compete (like an Ahkello Witherspoon) and a bit more expensive of a Safety like Simmons, Diggs, or resigning Blackmon.

1 hour ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Colts are going to be last in the division. Titans are being more aggressive with a 2nd round QB than Ballard is with his 4th pick. It’s embarrassing at this point.

If that happens and Ballard isn’t fired at the end of next season we riot. 

3 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Colds needed at least a FS and a vet CB. I could live letting cross play SS. It’s been a total failure. This CB room will be just like last year when everyone gets hurt again . Then everyone will blame the dline.

I'm late to the party. Officially done with Ballard now. I'm actively rooting for his firing. Perfectly reasonable from a draft-pick perspective and cap price to pay for him. Don't care about the guaranteed money. You can cut Cox and restructure a couple contracts to open up space. 

He needs to go soon. I hope there's a petition to fire Ballard that Colts fans can sign and a twitter hashtag  #fire ballard on twitter. He is killing this team. Bottom line now, if I don't like the draft, I'm not watching any Colts games this year. No reason we couldn't get Sneed when we were in on him for that price.

• Like 1

Just now, Yoshinator said:

I'm late to the party. Officially done with Ballard now. I'm actively rooting for his firing. Perfectly reasonable from a draft-pick perspective and cap price to pay for him. Don't care about the guaranteed money. You can cut Cox and restructure a couple contracts to open up space. 

He needs to go soon. I hope there's a petition to fire Ballard that Colts fans can sign and a twitter hashtag  #fire ballard on twitter. He is killing this team. Bottom line now, if I don't like the draft, I'm not watching any Colts games this year. No reason we couldn't get Sneed when we were in on him for that price.

It's less about can you and more about should you. This is the definition of paying A money to a B player, which Ballard has said multiple times before he won't do. Sneed got $10.5M more guaranteed money than any CB in NFL history. A 27 year old CB with chronic knee issues, that wasn't the best CB on the Chiefs, wasn't a pro-bowler, and was never an all-pro. Why should that player get paid as one of the top CBs in the league with more guaranteed money than any CB has ever been paid before?

Jaylon Johnson's contract was expensive, but he was worth it. He was the top rated CB based on PFF, was a pro bowler, and an all-pro. He was largely considered the best CB in the league. You're saying it's a good idea to give the same contract with more guaranteed to a much lesser CB like Sneed?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Yoshinator said:

There is 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, adubb84 said:

This sums it up for me. I’ve been pro Ballard for a long while. This off season so far has been pushing me a bit. Guess let’s see how the draft and season plays out. 

And he has been less aggressive this offseason than the last 2 I think. And when you have a promising young QB on a rookie deal that’s when you should be more active to surround him with talent. Ballard has seemingly done the opposite this offseason. It’s almost like he’s in wait and see mode if Richardson is the guy at QB first. I think we all saw he can be the guy, he just needs to stay healthy and he needs more players around him. 

4 minutes ago, Shive said:

It's less about can you and more about should you. This is the definition of paying A money to a B player, which Ballard has said multiple times before he won't do. Sneed got $10.5M more guaranteed money than any CB in NFL history. A 27 year old CB with chronic knee issues, that wasn't the best CB on the Chiefs, wasn't a pro-bowler, and was never an all-pro. Why should that player get paid as one of the top CBs in the league with more guaranteed money than any CB has ever been paid before?

Jaylon Johnson's contract was expensive, but he was worth it. He was the top rated CB based on PFF, was a pro bowler, and an all-pro. He was largely considered the best CB in the league. You're saying it's a good idea to give the same contract with more guaranteed to a much lesser CB like Sneed?

He is not a much lesser CB than Jaylon Johnson. This is complete garbage. He was a top 5 CB. Just because McKenzie was slightly better doesn't mean he was bad. Dumb logic. Sneed was absolutely worth it for that price. Fits perfectly in our scheme as a Zone corner. 

18 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

This might be off the wall. Do you guys think irsays illnsss and Hospitalization could of played in the lack of moves?

Maybe. I'm sure Ballard had no motivation from him to sign anyone aggressively. He just did his normal strategy without Irsay in his ear. 

• Like 1

Just now, Yoshinator said:

Thank you. I will sign it immediately.

The question is do we get AR more weapons first or draft cb and safety  first.  It's  a deep wr class we may get one that is better than pittman downs and pierce in the second, we could definitely  get that in the first.we could go corner and safety in second and third 

Just now, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

It’s a joke when local media starts pushing the story from Ballard about how they had to spend so much to keep their own. This organization is a train wreck.

Not really Ballard could still sign a safety  and draft a cb in the 1st second or third that would be just as good as what we got now

6 minutes ago, Stephen said:

The question is do we get AR more weapons first or draft cb and safety  first.  It's  a deep wr class we may get one that is better than pittman downs and pierce in the second, we could definitely  get that in the first.we could go corner and safety in second and third 

I think we have to go CB first round and WR second round at this point. Play the strengths of the draft. Go Safety third round.

Signed the petition. I suggest everyone here that feels the same way I do do the same. Might be able to make a difference at this point.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Not really Ballard could still sign a safety  and draft a cb in the 1st second or third that would be just as good as what we got now

Drafting a CB at 15 with the unproven CB room  iwith out a vet is dumb. That 15th pick should be used to get AR an elite weapon. Instead we are going yo have yo use it on someone who is probably not going to be ready to play. Offensive weapons are much more ready to play than defensive ones.

46 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

So you would have a less talented run defender with no depth?

At this point, I have anger towards Ballard and apathy towards the Colts. This is an absolute clownshow. Not only do we waste time on Sneed and not get him for a cheap price, but we lose him to a division rival. It's like Ballard is trying to destroy this team on his way out. Irsay can't be healthy right now. This is Ballard doing what he wants 100%. Absolute sickening gut punch tonight.

• Like 1