Conference Championship Weekend

chad72

Conference Championship Games  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Which teams are you rooting for?

2. 2. Lions @ 49ers: Who wins?

3. 3. Chiefs @ Ravens: Who wins?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/28/2024 at 08:30 PM

47 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

To the people that say Lamar can't throw the deep ball or isn't accurate outside of 10 yards is nonsense, his Y/A was 8.0 which ranks 4th in the league behind only 3 QB's that have played 10 games or more. The problem he had today was, he didn't have much time to throw, their O.Line played poorly. Most of the stat guys in here, especially East Street used to say Y/A was the most important stat.

Plus because his favorite target was Mark Andrews, some uninformed thinking he’s only good over the middle. Ironically his TD to Flowers came outside the numbers and INT came in the middle, he hit Flowers again in stride before the fumble, hit Marquise Brown in that Wentz OT game in 2021 outside for game tying TD and hit Agholor for game winner TD vs Burrow led Bengals outside too early in the season, I can go on and on…

His OC didn’t call a great game and Lamar didn’t manipulate the safeties as well as he could and the Chiefs D, they played lights out. Can’t gift Mahomes 3 turnovers and expect to win, to be honest 

Josh Allen had Mahomes and folks on the ropes till a bad sequence that caused them to settle for a FG and then his kicker decided to crap it up.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, chad72 said:

Plus because his favorite target was Mark Andrews, some uninformed thinking he’s only good over the middle. Ironically his TD to Flowers came outside the numbers, he hit Flowers again in stride before the fumble, hit Marquise Brown in that Wentz OT game in 2021 outside and hit Agholor for game winner TD vs Burrow led Bengals outside too early in the season, I can go on and on…

His OC didn’t call a great game and Lamar didn’t manipulate the safeties as well as he could and the Chiefs D, they played lights out. Can’t gift Mahomes 3 turnovers and expect to win, to be honest 

Yeah, to beat KC you have to play a clean game. That fumble by Flowers was a killer. The early TD Lamar had was a thing of beauty, the way he spun around and just flinged it. 

• Like 2

Personally this is a SB I don’t mind either of them winning and I would definitely watch.

Brock Purdy played outstanding, using his legs like Mahomes when needed but not being fazed by the moment. Hats off to him!!

• Like 2

Just now, chad72 said:

Personally this is a SB I don’t mind either of them winning and I would definitely watch.

Brock Purdy played outstanding, using his legs like Mahomes when needed but not being fazed by the moment. Hats off to him!!

If the 49ers win, I will be ok with it but it will feel odd watching Brock Purdy holding up the Vince Lombardi trophy. He would have the same amount of SB wins as Steve Young as a starter. Just odd. I doubt Mahomes loses to them. 

12 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

If the 49ers win, I will be ok with it but it will feel odd watching Brock Purdy holding up the Vince Lombardi trophy. He would have the same amount of SB wins as Steve Young as a starter. Just odd. I doubt Mahomes loses to them. 

Ravens’ running backs got less than 10 carries against a team (Chiefs) whose weakness was the rush defense. Help me make sense of that plan by the OC, forcing Lamar to find openings against one of the stingiest secondaries. The Ravens D shut the Chiefs down the second half like they were supposed to. 49ers should stay patient with the run.

No wonder The Bills stayed patient with the run but they couldn’t stop Mahomes and Pacheco. The Chiefs do have great coaches on O and D. They cut the dead weight of Toney and Moore for the playoffs and their WR/TE corp is suddenly catching better, go figure :) 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Ravens’ running backs got less than 10 carries against a team (Chiefs) whose weakness was the rush defense. Help me make sense of that plan by the OC, forcing Lamar to find openings against one of the stingiest secondaries. The Ravens D shut the Chiefs down the second half like they were supposed to. 49ers should stay patient with the run.

No wonder The Bills stayed patient with the run but they couldn’t stop Mahomes and Pacheco. The Chiefs do have great coaches on O and D. They cut the dead weight of Toney and Moore for the playoffs and their WR corp is suddenly catching better, go figure :) 

MVS and Rice are making big catches now, maybe Mahomes put the fear of God in them haha 

7 hours ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

So, how's your Bills fan colleague taking their playoff loss again? No sermons anymore? :D

HAhaha last monday was VERY VERY quiet in the office.. he came into my office right before lunch and was spouting off on how Josh Allen had a great game and how Diggs is now gone.. 

Then yesterday was spit fire texting me how much better josh was than Lamar 🤣 it doesn't stop haha

Campbell said after the game that he didn’t regret either decision

“I just felt really good about us converting, getting our momentum, and not letting them play long ball,” Campbell said. “They were bleeding the clock out. That’s what they do, and I wanted to get the upper hand back. It’s easy (in) hindsight, I get it. I get that, but I don’t regret those decisions. It’s hard. It’s hard because it didn’t, we didn’t come through. It wasn’t able to work out, it’s just... I don’t (regret it). I don’t. And I understand the scrutiny I’ll get. That’s part of the gig, man. But it just didn’t work out.”

So, looks like - to me based on his quotes above - Lions coaches came into the second half, trying to restrict SF offense' time on the field, and wanted Lions to have more time on the field, even if that meant they had to go for 4th down, probably until they got to goal line if successful, so that Lions offense can eat the clock as much as possible.

What Campbell missed was Lions also had to keep adding points to the score, so as to stay ahead of the opposition. He probably thought 17 points lead plus additional scores would have them winning in the end. SF, on the other hand stringed together multiple scoring drives, also recovered fumble near Lions end zone, while Dan Campbell was waiting for 4th down to become successful :D

Sorry coach, you didn't go for 4th down at the end of first half at SF 3 Yard line. You were doing everything right in first half, then came out doing opposite in second half, and many other things as well didn't go right. Result was a deserved loss, but hope you change per situations demand. 

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Chrisaaron1023 said:

HAhaha last monday was VERY VERY quiet in the office.. he came into my office right before lunch and was spouting off on how Josh Allen had a great game and how Diggs is now gone.. 

Then yesterday was spit fire texting me how much better josh was than Lamar 🤣 it doesn't stop haha

So, he didn't want to talk about the loss, huh? :) that's so bandwagon type, anyone can boast when things go well haha 

But yeah, he's probably waiting for Chiefs to lose, and would say how Bills would've beaten 9ers. :D

6 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I think it's so wrong to look at an SB winning QB and say "he shouldn't have same number of super Bowl trophies as Brees, Rodgers, Young, etc.,"

It's different competition every year, different team composition every year, different era between generations of QBs, different game as football continues to evolve... 

Every player can only play and win over the only opponent on the field with them, and that's all that matters. 

12 hours ago, NFLfan said:

I thought he would be hired by the Chargers.

Remember how much Vikings fans wanted Rick Spielman to draft Frank Ragnow? (He was drafted before we got a chance to pick.) He has turned out to be really good. We drafted Mike Hughes that year. :( We did get Brian O'Neill in the 2nd and he has been really good for us.

Same for Chris Lindstrom as well.

Many wanted Dalton Risner as well, and he's with the team now,  not sure about next year..

Many swore Bradbury was the real deal, and he's given mixed results.. I guess Vikings got the bookends right, and hope they could keep them and have QB overcome other challenges. 

We'll need to switch to drafting QB anyway, and looks like Cousins might wanna check all other interested teams this off-season, which is good. The sooner Vikings are forced to draft next franchise QB, the better. 

When I watch other teams, I like to take notes for myself and our team.  This is what I got from this weekend:

- Sorry, but as much as it hurts me to say this, Pat Mahomes is 2nd best qb of all

time.  We’ll see where he ends up in 16 years but right now he’s behind brady.  He has no peers currently.  And he has more playoff wins than our beloved Peyton manning.  I’m pretty sure he’ll catch up in stats.  Andy Reid and Pat are the new Belicheck and Brady.

- The ravens are a perfect example of what we don’t want our qb to be.  Purdy is the perfect example of what we want our qb to be.  Monken took away Lamar’s greatest strength and he paid for it.  Lamar didn’t know when to use his legs and was horrible against the blitz.  Purdy ran when the opportunity presented itself or when there were no other options.  Ravens only rushed 16 times.  We need AR to be more purdy like.  Maybe at max 3 designed runs (options, draws) but other than that everything else should be opportunistic scrambles to create big plays off unscripted moments.  We don’t need AR to throw +30 times.  AR is absolutely correct when he says he shouldn’t change how he plays, but the coaches need to change how we use him to prevent him getting injured.

- Dan Campbell crapped the bed.  He kicks the field goal on the 4 in the first half but go for it on 28?  The field goal in the second half would’ve made it a THREE possession game.  The playcalling in the second half was horrible.  Hopefully the lions will bounce back next year but idk with Ben Johnson leaving.

- we need SPEED on offense.  Our fastest players in regards to speed (not agility) on our offense are AR, JT, and Pierce.  That’s it.  Ballard is absolutely right when he says we need to get more explosive on offense and that means fast skilled players.  I know, a lot of people are in love with Brock but if he can’t beat linebackers in a foot race and find open spots in zones then we’re going to see the same thing next year.  We need an outside beater at the WR position.  Someone we can run sweeps, deep posts, and streaks to that can keep the defense honest. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, smittywerb said:

Dan Campbell crapped the bed.  He kicks the field goal on the 4 in the first half but go for it on 28?  The field goal in the second half would’ve made it a THREE possession game.  The playcalling in the second half was horrible.  Hopefully the lions will bounce back next year but idk with Ben Johnson leaving.

I agree but if you read Pride of Detroit, the equivalent of Stampede Blue, you will see that most of the fans agreed with Campbell's decisions. Many thought they should have taken the points in the third quarter but others said that given that this is how they played all year, they had no problem going for it on 4th down the two times in the second half. They feel the players did not execute.

I thought they should have taken the points. It was not hindsight.

• Like 1

Just now, NFLfan said:

I agree but if you read Pride of Detroit, the equivalent of Stampede Blue, you will see that most of the fans agreed with Campbell's decisions. Many thought they should have taken the points in the third quarter but others said that given that this is how they played all year, they had no problem going for it on 4th down the two times in the second half. They feel the players did not execute.

I thought they should have taken the points. It was not hindsight.

True, what they did was consistent with who Dan is.  But I have a problem with the contradiction.  If he went for it on the 4, then ok, all I’d have to say is dial back the aggressiveness.  But to go for it on the 28 and not the 4 just shows me whatever he was thinking wasn’t it and was a bad move on his part.  They’re correct, you can’t help it when players don’t execute, but I can’t just get with the contradiction of playing it safe in the first half and then going for it in the second when they needed to score.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, smittywerb said:

True, what they did was consistent with who Dan is.  But I have a problem with the contradiction.  If he went for it on the 4, then ok, all I’d have to say is dial back the aggressiveness.  But to go for it on the 28 and not the 4 just shows me whatever he was thinking wasn’t it and was a bad move on his part.  They’re correct, you can’t help it when players don’t execute, but I can’t just get with the contradiction of playing it safe in the first half and then going for it in the second when they needed to score.

One Lions fan wrote that the first one was an easier FG to make. I thought he should have taken the points each time, especially the first one in the third quarter. The Niners had a lot of momentum, but had the Lions gotten the FG, it would have cooled things off a bit. Instead, turning it over on downs invigorated the Niners and their fans at the stadium, with all the momentum going the way of the 49ers.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, smittywerb said:

When I watch other teams, I like to take notes for myself and our team.  This is what I got from this weekend:

- Sorry, but as much as it hurts me to say this, Pat Mahomes is 2nd best qb of all

time.  We’ll see where he ends up in 16 years but right now he’s behind brady.  He has no peers currently.  And he has more playoff wins than our beloved Peyton manning.  I’m pretty sure he’ll catch up in stats.  Andy Reid and Pat are the new Belicheck and Brady.

- The ravens are a perfect example of what we don’t want our qb to be.  Purdy is the perfect example of what we want our qb to be.  Monken took away Lamar’s greatest strength and he paid for it.  Lamar didn’t know when to use his legs and was horrible against the blitz.  Purdy ran when the opportunity presented itself or when there were no other options.  Ravens only rushed 16 times.  We need AR to be more purdy like.  Maybe at max 3 designed runs (options, draws) but other than that everything else should be opportunistic scrambles to create big plays off unscripted moments.  We don’t need AR to throw +30 times.  AR is absolutely correct when he says he shouldn’t change how he plays, but the coaches need to change how we use him to prevent him getting injured.

- Dan Campbell crapped the bed.  He kicks the field goal on the 4 in the first half but go for it on 28?  The field goal in the second half would’ve made it a THREE possession game.  The playcalling in the second half was horrible.  Hopefully the lions will bounce back next year but idk with Ben Johnson leaving.

- we need SPEED on offense.  Our fastest players in regards to speed (not agility) on our offense are AR, JT, and Pierce.  That’s it.  Ballard is absolutely right when he says we need to get more explosive on offense and that means fast skilled players.  I know, a lot of people are in love with Brock but if he can’t beat linebackers in a foot race and find open spots in zones then we’re going to see the same thing next year.  We need an outside beater at the WR position.  Someone we can run sweeps, deep posts, and streaks to that can keep the defense honest. 

I have Mahomes 4th all-time which is still high praise. Brady, Montana, and Peyton are the only 3 ahead. Where Peyton has Mahomes is, he won a SB with 2 different teams and has won 5 MVP's to Mahomes 2 as well. Even if Mahomes wins his 3rd SB, I would still have Peyton ranked slightly higher. Mahomes needs another MVP to pass him IMO. Unitas can't be left out of the discussion either. He was the greatest until Montana came along. 

10 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

MVS and Rice are making big catches now, maybe Mahomes put the fear of God in them haha 

Rice was mostly catching it. It was MVS that was severely underperforming. Remember that clear TD long bomb he dropped vs the Eagles on MNF that would have won the game??

I swear, Toney and Moore go out for the AFCCG vs Bengals last year banged up during the game, they doubled up Kelce, Hardman goes out with injury and MVS ends up with 116 yards and a TD in such a crucial situation with Mahomes trusting him. Mahomes truly believes in what he says when he trusts his teammates, no matter how much they have let him down in the past and that eventually helps his teammates' confidence.

But having said that, Toney and Skyy Moore are addition by subtraction w.r.t the WR corp, keep Toney just for reverses and punt returning, his East West juking skills have a limited purpose they serve. Hardman, he doesn't have the burst he had anymore, after seeing him being a tad slow on the reverses, after his medical scare last year due to which he missed games, then made 1 catch when he made it back to AFCCG, and then had surgery right away. Toney with younger legs, you might see him for a reverse in the SB, tops. Toney is not fit for regular WR play. Hardman was also coming off a recent hand injury he suffered and coughed up 2 fumbles, 1 lost for a touchback vs the Bills. So, yeah, he is in the doghouse now and last year like versus the Eagles, I expect Toney will be good for 1 or 2 important plays is what I gather.

Chiefs are going 1-3 personnel (3 TEs) to run more and sprinkle in MVS and Watson occasionally for 1 or 2 catches while the majority revolves around Pacheco, Kelce and Rice. 

The difference this time is Purdy is a better QB than Jimmy G when it comes to crunch time so far, and the 49ers have more offensive weapons than last time that the Chiefs played them. But their D led by Saleh was much better in 2019 SB season, that is going to be a big difference.

I also expect The Chiefs to wear white since they have the choice as the home team. 

2019 - they wore white - won SB vs 49ers

2020 - they wore red - lost SB vs Bucs

2022 - they wore white - won SB vs Eagles

2023 - TBD

• Like 2

I know most on here wanted a Ravens/Lions SB.  I "get" it.

But the SB should be the Best of the Best, and, like it or not, this year it's Chiefs/Niners. 

You know both of these teams and their QBs never give up even when the game may seem out of reach.  I'm looking forward to a fun competitive SB this year.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Gramz said:

I know most on here wanted a Ravens/Lions SB.  I "get" it.

But the SB should be the Best of the Best, and, like it or not, this year it's Chiefs/Niners. 

You know both of these teams and their QBs never give up even when the game may seem out of reach.  I'm looking forward to a fun competitive SB this year.

I picked the Ravens vs Lions before the season started and had money on the Ravens winning it all, otherwise I would not of cared who won yesterday because I like Mahomes. 

Poll closed before I seen it. 

I wanted a raven/49er super bowl but thought   the networks/advertisers would want KC and the swifties so I bet KC on the money line AND parlay KC & SF. Lol.

I'm glad the Lions lost, and not just because I bet the niners. And I'm glad Dan Campbell is getting the Heat and criticism for his recklessness. The lions were the better team and maybe the football gods prevented them from going to the super bowl(drops and fumbles) but definitely the alpha mentality and reckless decisions by their HC did. 

And I'm glad for that. :banana:

Dan Campbell driving 

Driving Fast And Furious GIF by The Fast Saga

Summer Sports Fun GIF by HBO Max

• Like 1

11 hours ago, chad72 said:

Rice was mostly catching it. It was MVS that was severely underperforming. Remember that clear TD long bomb he dropped vs the Eagles on MNF that would have won the game??

I swear, Toney and Moore go out for the AFCCG vs Bengals last year banged up during the game, they doubled up Kelce, Hardman goes out with injury and MVS ends up with 116 yards and a TD in such a crucial situation with Mahomes trusting him. Mahomes truly believes in what he says when he trusts his teammates, no matter how much they have let him down in the past and that eventually helps his teammates' confidence.

But having said that, Toney and Skyy Moore are addition by subtraction w.r.t the WR corp, keep Toney just for reverses and punt returning, his East West juking skills have a limited purpose they serve. Hardman, he doesn't have the burst he had anymore, after seeing him being a tad slow on the reverses, after his medical scare last year due to which he missed games, then made 1 catch when he made it back to AFCCG, and then had surgery right away. Toney with younger legs, you might see him for a reverse in the SB, tops. Toney is not fit for regular WR play. Hardman was also coming off a recent hand injury he suffered and coughed up 2 fumbles, 1 lost for a touchback vs the Bills. So, yeah, he is in the doghouse now and last year like versus the Eagles, I expect Toney will be good for 1 or 2 important plays is what I gather.

Chiefs are going 1-3 personnel (3 TEs) to run more and sprinkle in MVS and Watson occasionally for 1 or 2 catches while the majority revolves around Pacheco, Kelce and Rice. 

The difference this time is Purdy is a better QB than Jimmy G when it comes to crunch time so far, and the 49ers have more offensive weapons than last time that the Chiefs played them. But their D led by Saleh was much better in 2019 SB season, that is going to be a big difference.

I also expect The Chiefs to wear white since they have the choice as the home team. 

2019 - they wore white - won SB vs 49ers

2020 - they wore red - lost SB vs Bucs

2022 - they wore white - won SB vs Eagles

2023 - TBD

They wore red in 2019

• Like 2

7 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Poll closed before I seen it. 

I wanted a raven/49er super bowl but thought   the networks/advertisers would want KC and the swifties so I bet KC on the money line AND parlay KC & SF. Lol.

I'm glad the Lions lost, and not just because I bet the niners. And I'm glad Dan Campbell is getting the Heat and criticism for his recklessness. The lions were the better team and maybe the football gods prevented them from going to the super bowl(drops and fumbles) but definitely the alpha mentality and reckless decisions by their HC did. 

And I'm glad for that. :banana:

Dan Campbell driving 

Driving Fast And Furious GIF by The Fast Saga

Summer Sports Fun GIF by HBO Max

truck GIF

47 minutes ago, runthepost said:

They wore red in 2019

Yep, you’re right my friend!!! 

No Tyreek Hill this time and a Patriots like ball control offense and D oriented team that the Chiefs have morphed into now.

Purdy’s surprising mobility and CMC will be the X factors for the Chiefs to overcome this time.

• Like 1

• NFLfan unpinned this topic