Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jim Irsay ill

Carlie Irsay-Gordon was born in Indianapolis, she will run the team as owner if something happens to Jim. She loves Indianapolis and so does Jim. We aren't moving anywhere if something happens to Jim, if that is on anyone's minds lmao . We also have a contract through 2029 with Lucas Oil Stadium to keep the team here. 

• Like 1

It was just reported on our local Fox 59 news this morning that Irsay was found unresponsive, blue and barely breathing when paramedics arrived. It is believed to be some type of overdose. I personally don't know if that story is true or not but it was breaking news.

5 minutes ago, bluephantom87 said:

It was just reported on our local Fox 59 news this morning that Irsay was found unresponsive, blue and barely breathing when paramedics arrived. It is believed to be some type of overdose. I personally don't know if that story is true or not but it was breaking news.

It’s in the Carmel Police report as a “suspected overdose with unresponsive person) so odds are it is true. 

8 minutes ago, BeanDiasucci said:

But it seems he was likely ill well before Jan. 9.

Screenshot_20240117-101243.jpg

Quite possibly but we can only go off the colts official statement which puts it starting on or about the 9th of Jan.

he was also at the Dec 16th colts Game. He was also shown on Tv in his suite at the Texans game.  So I highly doubt it has been “weeks”. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, csmopar said:

Quite possibly but we can only go off the colts official statement which puts it starting on or about the 9th of Jan.

he was also at the Dec 16th colts Game. He was also shown on Tv in his suite at the Texans game.  So I highly doubt it has been “weeks”. 

Once again, facts.

Just now, Fat Clemenza said:

Get well Jim!  Prayers for you and your family.  

I will be sure to avoid the comments section of any national media reporting on him or his health… so much ugliness. 

I am watching 1st take, they haven't even brought it up. They know better after the crap they talked about Jim, and if they do, they will say something like get well Jim chuckling homer simpson GIF

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Where in the Colts statement does it say the illness began around Jan. 9?

6 minutes ago, BeanDiasucci said:

It does not. It is only dated January 9th. He was likely sick before then but his reps released the statement then, asking for privacy.

I hope the owner is okay and is getting back to better health.

• Like 4

It doesn’t. I’m just saying the only thing we have concrete proof of is the date of the statement and the appearances at the games mentioned above. Everything else is up in the air.  Bottomline is we just need to wish him the best. I’m sure the colts will let us know in due time

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, #12. said:

They're not leaving.  They have it made here.  The team is almost entirely subsidized by the city and state, and fan support, even in down seasons, is more than adequate.

It's not 1998.  Nationwide, public funding for stadiums has dried up.  If they went elsewhere, they would have to foot most of the bill for a 2 billion dollar stadium themselves.  They will be refurbishing and playing in Lucas Oil for a long time.

48 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

for one, they are all Indianapolis based girls. All 3 are vice-chairs and co-owners of the franchise. So the succession is in place.

Carley is the oldest and has represented the team since 2004. 

Casey is married to AJ Foyt IV, you know the Indy car family… she went to Indiana University, as did Kalen, the youngest. 

1 hour ago, JediXMan said:

I think you’re overthinking the situation. There’s no reason to believe his kids will leave Indy especially when they grew up and made friends and family in Indy.  Also let’s say they do want to leave Indy where will they go plus who replaces them in the AFCS see how it gets complicated lol.

I was thinking the daughter sells and the team moves to Mexico City or London.  Would be more of an NFL push down/pressure than the Irsay's taking the initiative.

Jimmy could swat down that pressure easily.  Not sure that the NFL wouldn't try a pressure tactic on the daughters.

1 minute ago, DougDew said:

I was thinking the daughter sells and the team moves to Mexico City or London.  Would be more of an NFL push down/pressure than the Irsay's taking the initiative.

Jimmy could swat down that pressure easily.  Not sure that the NFL wouldn't try a pressure tactic on the daughters.

Why the Indianapolis Colts? The team that has had one of the top attendance record in the entire league for the past, what? three decades?

We also hosted the best Super Bowl possibly ever, in terms of efficiency. 

Make Tepper move to Mexico. He's a clown, and his fans are gone...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, csmopar said:

It doesn’t. I’m just saying the only thing we have concrete proof of is the date of the statement and the appearances at the games mentioned above. Everything else is up in the air.  Bottomline is we just need to wish him the best. I’m sure the colts will let us know in due time

People here are emphasizing that Irsay was seen attending the Steelers game on 12/16. Did he miss the Falcons game on 12/24, the Raiders game on 12/31 and the Texans game on 1/6? I'm hoping for the best, but this situation is very concerning. 

6 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

Why the Indianapolis Colts? The team that has had one of the top attendance record in the entire league for the past, what? three decades?

We also hosted the best Super Bowl possibly ever, in terms of efficiency. 

Make Tepper move to Mexico. He's a clown, and his fans are gone...

I think its about geography and lines on a map/population.  The Colts were always squeezed in between the CHI/DET/CIN markets.  A change in ownership from Jimmy to the daughters seems like an opportunity for the NFL to make a play.  The daughters can cash out of the Colts all together after dad dies, but would never elude to such a thing when he's still listening.

The NFL cares about having the biggest markets possible and not so much about who any specific owner is.

6 minutes ago, BeanDiasucci said:

People here are emphasizing that Irsay was seen attending the Steelers game on 12/16. Did he miss the Falcons game on 12/24, the Raiders game on 12/31 and the Texans game on 1/6? I'm hoping for the best, but this situation is very concerning. 

It’s very concerning indeed. He was in his suite for the Texans game. The others I do not know

17 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Maybe but that’d be a fight

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I think its about geography and lines on a map/population.  The Colts were always squeezed in between the CHI/DET/CIN markets.  

I can't imagine that would be a factor in anything 40 years later.  It's not as though Colts fans would immediately turn around and start following and going to Bengals and Lions games.  

If anything, Chicago is large enough to support a second team.  The Bears aren't struggling in any way because of the Colts' presence in Indy.

Just now, csmopar said:

Maybe but that’d be a fight

Its why I asked what the daughters true allegiance is to Indy or to professional football in general.

I have no idea.  None.   Is it unreasonable to question if the daughters are actually committed to continuing ownership of the Colts just because they say so as long as daddy is still alive?  

10 minutes ago, Nadine said:

WTH?

Can we just wish JIm and his family the best?

WTH?  Does he read the forums?  Its not in my nature to grandstand my sympathy.

Seems like an appropriate thread to discuss transition of ownership.

4 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I think its about geography and lines on a map/population.  The Colts were always squeezed in between the CHI/DET/CIN markets.  A change in ownership from Jimmy to the daughters seems like an opportunity for the NFL to make some efforts.  The daughters can cash out of the Colts all together after dad dies, but would never elude to such a thing when he's still listening.

They could also create a new ownership group (calling Peyton Manning) and put more pressure back onto the NFL. We act like this isn't an owner's league. I have little thought that moving the Colts to a foreign city is a good idea versus a team in another small market elsewhere that doesn't have the same fan base and support.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Irsay had back surgery not long ago. Most likely on pain killers for that.

Irsay has talked about his issues with painkillers starting after back surgery in 2014. Did he have back surgery again recently? I haven't seen anything about that. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

I doubt there are very many on this forum that don't wish that...

IMO, expressing sympathy is what I do personally, either phone call, face to face, or card.  Nobody else will ever see it. 

Doing it over a public internet has too much of a "hey everybody, look how much I care" feel to it for me to worry too much about criticism over not expressing it. 

24 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Its why I asked what the daughters true allegiance is to Indy or to professional football in general.

I have no idea.  None.   Is it unreasonable to question if the daughters are actually committed to continuing ownership of the Colts just because they say so as long as daddy is still alive?  

There’s only one way to know for sure and that’s when we find out in the future 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Happy2BeHere said:

That was the article I read this morning that prompted me to enter this thread and ask questions about transition.  Unresponsive due to suspected overdose is close to death.  Its probably sourced from a police report.

Irsay has talked about his issues with painkillers starting after back surgery in 2014. Did he have back surgery again recently? I haven't seen anything about that. 

Back in late October or early November there was a video of him dancing in the locker room after a win and he was hunched over throughout. In the discourse about that it was indicated that he’d recently had another procedure. I don’t think there was ever any official statements or stories (and why would there be? That’s a personal matter that had 0 bearing on the Colts and more than that, it’s no one’s business what procedures he’s had) but that was the scuttle. 

• Like 1

Just now, bluephantom87 said:

Man that's a sad situation. I hope he gets the help he needs. 🙏

According to the article, Irsay said that he has been in rehab 15 different times.  As a person who knows many folks who work with addiction, they say that help only goes so far, and its more about the person themselves tackling the issue.

2 minutes ago, IrsaysArmy said:

How any Colts employee can respect this guy is beyond me. He must just not be ready to get clean yet. Maybe after the next OD

It is probably because he treats employees great, pays them well, raised 3 daughters greatly, and has been one of the best owners of all-time with a SB win. It doesn't take a person that even has an IQ of room temperature to realize that.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

It is probably because he treats employees great, pays them well, raised 3 daughters greatly, and has been one of the best owners of all-time with a SB win. It doesn't take a person that even has an IQ of room temperature to realize that.

Irsay is ranked seventh among current NFL owners in winning pct. - 247-182-1 (.576) - and the Colts have a 13-15 playoff record during his tenure. Much of his success can be attributed to Peyton Manning. "Irsay’s record is 141-67 (.678) when Peyton Manning starts at quarterback and 106-115-1 (.480) the rest of the time, which is how the league usually works."

https://theathletic.com/5115078/2023/12/08/nfl-owners-ranking-32-teams/

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, IrsaysArmy said:

How any Colts employee can respect this guy is beyond me. He must just not be ready to get clean yet. Maybe after the next OD

Addiction is a real issue and its not fair to judge a person's character because of that personal problem, IMO (no, neither I or a family member or a friend have had problems there). 

He's probably respected by his employees because of how he treats his employees and others, rather than how he treats himself

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1