Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ballard end of year press conference???

It will be probably be tame no news on the coaches or the failures of 2023. He never tips his hand but having the 26th rated QB for most of the season is not his fault. Picking at the 15 spot could be traded down in April at the draft. We need at least on big splash in FA hopefully a solid WR or CB.  He really cannot miss the first 4 rounds of the draft. We needs more playmakers for AR and I really feel he will make Pierce, Pittman and Downs better because he can make tough throws that Rico could not.

We also need to strengthen both lines, I know we were 5th in sacks but there were games where our pass rush was a joke

I would like to see a new RG that can push people around but those are hard to find in free agency. A defensive lineman could be found in the draft and this is where scouting needs to be strong.

Currently we have Pitt, Pierce and Downs as our top three receivers another solid one would surely help

Go Horse 

2 hours ago, indyagent17 said:

It will be probably be tame no news on the coaches or the failures of 2023. He never tips his hand but having the 26th rated QB for most of the season is not his fault. Picking at the 15 spot could be traded down in April at the draft. We need at least on big splash in FA hopefully a solid WR or CB.  He really cannot miss the first 4 rounds of the draft. We needs more playmakers for AR and I really feel he will make Pierce, Pittman and Downs better because he can make tough throws that Rico could not.

We also need to strengthen both lines, I know we were 5th in sacks but there were games where our pass rush was a joke

I would like to see a new RG that can push people around but those are hard to find in free agency. A defensive lineman could be found in the draft and this is where scouting needs to be strong.

Currently we have Pitt, Pierce and Downs as our top three receivers another solid one would surely help

Go Horse 

If you are expecting a splash FA then I guarantee you will be disappointed. 

• Like 7

10 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

If you are expecting a splash FA then I guarantee you will be disappointed. 

But that’s my favorite part of the Colts off-season.

GM tells you from the jump he doesn’t do splash free agents.

Fans ignore this because it’s not what they want to hear.

Fans decide the Colts will sign free agents

Fans develop their shopping list.

Fans decide because they want the player that means the Colts are actively trying to sign them.

player signs somewhere else

Fans get upset because Ballard let them get away.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, ThorstenDenmark said:

Hello

When will Ballard have his end of year pres c.?

And what do you guys expect him to address? 

It looks like it won’t be tomorrow.   Too late to announce that now.   

So likely Wednesday or Thursday.   What he’ll say is anyone’s guess, but it’ll be interesting to hear the questions he gets.  

The media didn’t ask much a year ago after a 4-12-1 season.   The conference went less than 40 minutes.   Most Ballard year end press conference last roughly an hour +/-.   That was hugely disappointing to me as a media guy. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, indyagent17 said:

Go Horse 

He actually does tell you alot if you listen close.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

He actually does tell you alot if you listen close.

And listen to what he says not listen for what you want to hear.

38 minutes ago, indyagent17 said:

He should have taken complete responsibility for what happened on fourth and One not just saying I should’ve thrown a better ball, but it was my fault that tells me a lot about his character

So it’s now Ballard’s fault the Colts didn’t convert the fourth and one?  That’s a stretch.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

Fans decide because they want the player that means the Colts are actively trying to sign them.

Say it louder for those in the back!! Every single year

28 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

So it’s now Ballard’s fault the Colts didn’t convert the fourth and one?  That’s a stretch.

Usually you can get a pretty good idea of their plans in fa and draft and what positions they will target. 

1 hour ago, GoColts8818 said:

What?! I wasn’t taking about Ballard i

was talking about Minshew 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Where was Minshew mentioned in this thread?

Do you think that Minshew  has something to do with a loss to the Texans. Isn’t it something worth addressing if you’re going to bring him back or not and he shouldn’t left Goodson take all the blame for it he should’ve taken the blame himself as the veteran and spared the rookie that’s what I’m saying, that’s just being a good person 

1 minute ago, indyagent17 said:

Do you think that Minshew  has something to do with a loss to the Texans. Isn’t it something worth addressing if you’re going to bring him back or not and he shouldn’t left Goodson take all the blame for it he should’ve taken the blame himself as the veteran and spared the rookie that’s what I’m saying, that’s just being a good person 

Minshew did take blame. Actually Steichen, Minshew, Goodson all saif they should have been better.

2 minutes ago, indyagent17 said:

But no one mentioned Minshew.   Not even you in your initial post

1 hour ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Minshew did take blame. Actually Steichen, Minshew, Goodson all saif they should have been better.

Goodson took the brunt of it and he was very emotional. he said if it hits my hands I have to catch it and all the quarterback said was, I should’ve thrown a better ball. Not once did you bail out Goodson at all?

I have played sports all my life I never let anybody else take the blame for my mistake once again for those I haven’t seen this Goodson was heading to his left 200 pounds of momentum and Gardner just threw it behind him. It’s not the rookies fault. In fact, I played safety in high school, I tripped somebody accidentally and they called the penalty on another player on my team. I went to the referee and said sir I was that tripped him accidentally. The referee told me was very mature for me to do that considering I was a junior and he was a freshman. There’s just something between men that you stand up and take the blame for what you do and help other people to avoid taking the blame I guess I’m a different generation than you guys are

Let us keep this thread on track.

I would like the following questions asked to Ballard:

1. Will your drafting philosophies adapt to your head coach and/or position coaches' needs? If a player the head coach wants is just a few spots away from the BPA, do you draft for your head coach there?

2. How do you feel the secondary did overall this year? Does the safety position need more infusion of talent?

3. What are the plans for bolstering DL depth? Do you think you might bring in a vet or two in free agency for the same? Are you happy with where the OL is right now?

4. Do you view Minshew as a long term backup or will you be looking to the draft for other QBs? What does the coaching staff think about Sam Ehlinger?

5. How do you view the WR group as a bunch overall?

2 minutes ago, chad72 said:

I would like the following questions asked:

1. Will your drafting philosophies adapt to your head coach and/or position coaches' needs? If a player the head coach wants is just a few spots away from the BPA, do you draft for your head coach there?

2. How do you feel the secondary did overall this year? Does the safety position need more infusion of talent?

3. What are the plans for bolstering DL depth? Do you think you might bring in a vet or two in free agency for the same?

4. Do you view Minshew as a long term backup or will you be looking to the draft for other QBs? What does the coaching staff think about Sam Ehlinger?

Don’t think they will say bad things about Ehlinger.  Any player for that matter.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, indyagent17 said:

Goodson took the brunt of it and he was very emotional. he said if it hits my hands I have to catch it and all the quarterback said was, I should’ve thrown a better ball. Not once did you bail out Goodson at all?

I have played sports all my life I never let anybody else take the blame for my mistake once again for those I haven’t seen this Goodson was heading to his left 200 pounds of momentum and Gardner just threw it behind him. It’s not the rookies fault. In fact, I played safety in high school, I tripped somebody accidentally and they called the penalty on another player on my team. I went to the referee and said sir I was that tripped him accidentally. The referee told me was very mature for me to do that considering I was a junior and he was a freshman. There’s just something between men that you stand up and take the blame for what you do and help other people to avoid taking the blame I guess I’m a different generation than you guys are

I get what you're saying.   This isn't the thread for it.   Minshews name was never brought up here.   Did you mistakenly post in the wrong thread?

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

3. What are the plans for bolstering DL depth? Do you think you might bring in a vet or two in free agency for the same? Are you happy with where the OL is right now?

1. I think we already have seen him change his drafting philosophy and overall player types with Steichen, with Frank all WRs drafted were physical freaks that were all tall and fast, and then we go with Downs and McKenzie with Steichen who fits more of a Devante Smith body type. So Ballard does seem to ask what player archetypes they prefer and go after those types, in a BPA type of way.

2. This will be a non-answer that will go like "well I think we have some guys there, if you told me Jones was gonna play like that, I'll tell ya we have some dudes. Now is there room for improvement of course but I'm happy with how they played."

3-5. more non-answers similar to above

22 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

Same I look forward to watching the meltdown and mental gymnastics of this forum from Jan through May. It’s truly hilarious 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I think it would be cool for someone to ask about SAN but I wanted Steichen to talk about him. It would give us insight if they think he can be the backup. Ballard insight won’t really tell us what Steichen thinks.

Who’s SAN?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, chad72 said:

My questions, in no particular order:

1) What do you think about the locker room culture at this point? (Several suspensions, including two by the team, and a star level player was released suddenly.)

Somewhat related to the above: Gus Bradley said Shaq Leonard was told he'd be benched, then he was released the next day. Why was the decision made to release him, rather than just make him inactive for the rest of the season?

2) Do you see yourself ever using more aggressive cap management strategies to try to make a short run at contention?

3) What were your expectations for the defense in 2023, and what will your expectations be going into next season?

4) Do you think you saw enough from Anthony Richardson to believe that he can be your franchise QB, and what are the most important parts of your plan to support his development in 2024?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Solid84 said:

I think there are loads of good questions to ask, but 1) by far the most of them won’t be asked and 2) even if they are we’ll just get GM spiel from Ballard. 

Agree 100%.  I don’t get all of the excitement.  The Indy press corps has to be one of the weakest in the nation.  They are either afraid or don’t know how to ask a question.  They act like they are afraid of Ballard.  Every question is a soft ball.  Every time I watch one of these I shake my head and laugh when it’s over.  Unfortunately it’s a big to do about nothing.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Agree 100%.  I don’t get all of the excitement.  The Indy press corps has to be one of the weakest in the nation.  They are either afraid or don’t know how to ask a question.  They act like they are afraid of Ballard.  Every question is a soft ball.  Every time I watch one of these I shake my head and laugh when it’s over.  Unfortunately it’s a big to do about nothing.

It’s easy for you, Joe Fan, sitting at home or at work what questions to ask and how to ask it.   

It’s another thing to actually be the guy who has to ask the GM that you cover questions that he might find annoying or insulting.   There’s some skill involved in asking hard questions.   It’s not as easy as people here think it is.   

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

It’s easy for you, Joe Fan, sitting at home or at work what questions to ask and how to ask it.   

It’s another thing to actually be the guy who has to ask the GM that you cover questions that he might find annoying or insulting.   There’s some skill involved in asking hard questions.   It’s not as easy as people here think it is.   

It would be if the collective indy media had some cojonas and all asked the tough questions. 

I get they don’t want to lose access, but if everyone asked the tough questions Ballard can’t dodge them or rescind access. 

Edit: To clarify, I’m not looking for anyone to lynch Ballard - at all. 

• Like 3