Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Stretch play

I have been wondering why the Colts have not used the stretch play.  I know we no longer have Peyton or Edge, but with JT's speed, I think the stretch play would be a great way to get him out in space and in less congested LOS.  I'm calling on the OG gurus of this forum (you know who you are) to help me understand this.  Does our OL lack the foot speed, the cohesion to pull?  Is our QB not good at the PA (which made the stretch play even more effective)?  TYIA

8 minutes ago, IndyColtsFan411 said:

I have been wondering why the Colts have not used the stretch play.  I know we no longer have Peyton or Edge, but with JT's speed, I think the stretch play would be a great way to get him out in space and in less congested LOS.  I'm calling on the OG gurus of this forum (you know who you are) to help me understand this.  Does our OL lack the foot speed, the cohesion to pull?  Is our QB not good at the PA (which made the stretch play even more effective)?  TYIA

I suspect it has a lot to do with how the D's play so close to the line, seeing that the long ball threat isn't really there.  Yes, it's burned them a few times.  But in the long run it's the best defense against our offense.  We do run a jet sweep, or at least we used to when Parris was here.

I'd say Q is the best OLman that could handle the outside zone.  I'm not sure about the others.  I'll leave that to people who know the line better than I do.

Also, you need to have a RB with great vision.  JT's forte is with the inside zone.

Just my 2 cents.

• Like 1

For once, in his life, JT showed me when things are blocked that he could go outside versus the Raiders. He absolutely rarely does that. Some RBs, they get it so quickly and instinctively. JT, seems like he needs to be coached up for that. Hope that enlightenment of JT continues because it has been frustrating for me for years when I see pretty much every team have RBs that do that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The stretch play is more of a blocking concept rather than an individual play. It requires a specific offensive focus that includes passing concepts to accompany it. Think play action and screens. When a team commits to the RPO game it makes it difficult to also add in a different concept. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Perhaps because the stretch play takes a tremendous amount of teaching, drilling and development for the offensive line. 

That said, NFL players should already know the basics from high school and college. 

Another reason to avoid it is because we’re worried it’d be too predictable?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, husker61 said:

I think the reason no team runs it is because defenses are too quick and athletic now for a slow developing play like that.

This.  I think a caller to the post game show on the radio a few seasons ago (no...not "Barb" lol) asked the same question.  Short answer is simply DL and LB's today are all blazing fast athletes.  A telegraphed handoff to the perimeter is going to result in a lot of TFL situations.

8 hours ago, chad72 said:

For once, in his life, JT showed me when things are blocked that he could go outside versus the Raiders. He absolutely rarely does that. Some RBs, they get it so quickly and instinctively. JT, seems like he needs to be coached up for that. Hope that enlightenment of JT continues because it has been frustrating for me for years when I see pretty much every team have RBs that do that.

I agree, as talented as Jt is I don’t think he has great vision for the back side cut. He does have vision to set up defenders using his block but I think he leaves yardage on the field. I scream at the tv often saying why not hit the other hole. I do admit I’m not looking at the all 22 to see for sure but I think he doesn’t have next level vision or either he trusts his line so much that he believes there will be some sort of a hole and he can exploit it.

10 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

Peyton had the threat of Harrison, Wayne and a decent collection of slot receivers like Collie, Gonzalez, Stokely, Walters and a pretty good tight end in Clark that made that stretch play and play action click. 

It was made better when he had Dilger and Pollard as blocking TEs too, that you need for effective stretch play execution on the edges too. MAC is the only side we can reliably get blocking from TEs on the edges now.

• Like 4