Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Sudden Death Cage Match: Colts vs. Texans *Saturday 8:15pm (MERGE)

RollerColt

7 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yep, I remember you and I were pounding the table for Lamar before the season and many were saying hard pass, or he would get injured, etc.. #1 - I knew Lamar had a lot to prove, #2 - I thought he was a top 5-7 QB in the league before the season. If we had Lamar on this team, we would be the #1 seed IMO and would be the one probably 13-3 instead of Baltimore. 

If we had Lamar, the Colts would have had to shed enormous contracts to accommodate his salary.   It wouldn’t have been a matter of adjusting a few contracts here and there.   The roster would be different.   

Not saying the Colts wouldn’t have been better with him, just that the roster would have had to be different.   

By the way,  saw a story yesterday that two franchises showed but neither made offers.   Just two. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

If we had Lamar, the Colts would have had to shed enormous contracts to accommodate his salary.   It wouldn’t have been a matter of adjusting a few contracts here and there.   The rister would be different.   

Not saying the Colts wouldn’t have been with him, just that the roster would have had to be different.   

By the way,  saw a story yesterday that two franchises showed but neither made offers.   Just two. 

Oh yeah, because of Lamar's contract things would have been different roster wise but he is going to win MVP this year IMO.

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Oh yeah, because of Lamar's contract things would have been different roster wise but he is going to win MVP this year IMO.

Disregarding QBs do you think the Colts are as talented as a team as the Ravens?

Just now, Solid84 said:

Disregarding QBs do you think the Colts are as talented as a team as the Ravens?

Probably not but Lamar with Taylor and Moss and Pittman and Downs + a Line that has played good this year would have had us around 12 or 13 wins. JMO. You have to factor in the schedule we have had too. Lamar would have had an easy time in our division compared to playing in the North. I don't think Lamar gets swept by the Jags and that alone is crucial. 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

AR is 2-2 as a starter. He has won 2 games. He started the Texans and Titans game, and we even had the lead before he left with injury. He played the whole game vs the Rams and almost pulled that one out, we lost in OT. Minshew is a great backup and is proving to be an above average starter so not sure if we would be 9-7 with AR. My guess is, about the same with AR = 9-7. IMO, AR would have beat the Panthers, beat the Titans at Tennessee, beat the Pats, Steelers, and Raiders like Minshew has. 

Maybe, or maybe he would have continued with the rookie struggles as most rookies do.  i think if he had started and finished all games the Colts would be around 6-10.

3 minutes ago, Myles said:

Maybe, or maybe he would have continued with the rookie struggles as most rookies do.  i think if he had started and finished all games the Colts would be around 6-10.

so u are assuming year 2 (kinda rookie for AR) will be 6 - 10?

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Myles said:

Technically, yes.  Both of those were won by Minshew who had to come in to play.  

Not disputing that, and that overall point is a larger concern, but I was just addressing the claim he hadn’t won a game a he started.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

Not even close.   I think it’s Ravens 1 then a gap to 49ers at 2, then a gap to whoever is 3?   

The Colts are down the line a ways.   

• Like 1

Just now, GoColts8818 said:

Not disputing that, and that overall point is a larger concern, but I was just addressing the claim he hadn’t won a game a he started.

I love Minshew but for him to say Minshew won those games is a bit of stretch. Minshew held onto the lead for a half in each game - didn't mess it up. We were ahead when AR was in both games. 

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

Not even close.   I think it’s Ravens 1 then a gap to 49ers at 2, then a gap to whoever is 3?   

I said no as well but our schedule is easier than the Ravens. 

13 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Probably not but Lamar with Taylor and Moss and Pittman and Downs + a Line that has played good this year would have had us around 12 or 13 wins. JMO. You have to factor in the schedule we have had too. Lamar would have had an easy time in our division compared to playing in the North. I don't think Lamar gets swept by the Jags and that alone is crucial. 

It’s possible Taylor would’ve been traded to make room for Lamar’s contract.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I love Minshew but for him to say Minshew won those games is a bit of stretch. Minshew held onto the lead for a half in each game - didn't mess it up. We were ahead when AR was in both games. 

I said no as well but our schedule is easier than the Ravens. 

Yes Ravens have a much tougher schedule.  And yet they fly to San Fran and crush SF, then fly to Miami and whip the Dolphins.   

Ravens in a league of their own roster-wise. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Yes Ravens have a much tougher schedule.  And yet they fly to San Fran and crush SF, then fly to Miami and whip the Dolphins.   

SF IMO has the better roster but not the better QB, but you make a great point. Ravens have a damn good roster. The Colts roster is better than what some make of it. We have holes but strengths as well. 

Just now, Superman said:

I think we've seen about 30% of Steichen's offense so far. Most of what we do in the passing game is RPO, and stresses efficiency and getting rid of the ball quickly. We have a QB who doesn't handle pressure well, and doesn't threaten down the field. And the run game should be exponentially more diverse once we have a QB who can play a role.

I think Steichen's offense and play calling should be the least of our worries going into 2024.

Can't wait to see what he does with AR for a full season. That should be entertaining. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think Ravens and Niners are neck and neck, but the Ravens have been healthier and have been getting better, while the Niners have been battling injuries to some of their best players.

Either way, I agree with you that those two teams are at the top.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

Show me an offense that doesn't do what they do week in week out. 

Unless an offense acquires gamechanging new talent or what they are doing doesn't work at all, big changes don't really happen during the season at least.

Like Dungy used to say it’s about executing not surprising teams.  If you out execute the other team it doesn’t matter what’s called.  It’s why Tom Moore used to say if you find something that works you call it until the other team stops it.

• Like 2

Just now, Superman said:

I think Ravens and Niners are neck and neck, but the Ravens have been healthier and have been getting better, while the Niners have been battling injuries to some of their best players.

Either way, I agree with you that those two teams are at the top.

Philly has a good roster and franchise QB as well. Something is off with them right now though. Not sure what it is. Maybe losing Shane has hurt them a tad.

29 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I do want to say when I said "probably not" I was being sarcastic, I just didn't put the emoji in lmao . No, the Ravens have the better roster than we do but we have had an easier schedule. 

2 hours ago, richard pallo said:

100%.  Shane’s offense is becoming very predictable and easy to game plan for.  For a guy who was coming here with a reputation as an offensive guru I have been disappointed with his creativity.  16 games and it’s the same old same old.  You hit the nail on the head imo.

Then 3 posts later you said this

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

Can you imagine where we would be right now if LaMar was our quarterback?  He was out there for the taking.  He with Steichen as his coach.  Wow!  He certainly would have been an expensive acquisition but I think we would have won the division and clinched home field by now.  It’s fun to dream.  On to Houston.

Safe to assume you agree that the QB on the field is what is dictating the play calling? 

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I agree.

I just thought it was a leap when 2006 said we would be the 1 seed in the AFC if we had Lamar, because I don’t think we’re as talented as the Ravens. Was just looking for clarification. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

I agree.

I just thought it was a leap when 2006 said we would be the 1 seed in the AFC if we had Lamar, because I don’t think we’re as talented as the Ravens. Was just looking for clarification. 

I factored in the schedule is why. Of course the Ravens have the better roster.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Philly has a good roster and franchise QB as well. Something is off with them right now though. Not sure what it is. Maybe losing Shane has hurt them a tad.

Eagles have a good amount of injuries, and I think the QB is a) playing hurt, and b) still somewhat limited in his ability as a passer. But I also think a couple of their DL are finally showing their age, and it's leaving their LBs exposed (plus they lost Nakobe Dean earlier in the year). 

They still have a really good roster, when healthy, but they've always been able to control the LOS on both sides of the ball, and that's not happening right now.

And yeah, they're experiencing the brain drain on the coaching staff right now. They lost both coordinators, promoted internally, and there's been some issues on both sides. That's not surprising, it can take some time to establish footing as a coordinator. But I don't know what they're doing with Desai and Patricia, that's just weird.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, ChuggaBeer said:

Then 3 posts later you said this

Safe to assume you agree that the QB on the field is what is dictating the play calling? 

Absolutely it makes a difference.  So he knows what he has in Minschew but he still does nothing to make him more effective.  No roll outs where he is good, no two back sets, no screens to the rbs , very little motion by the wide receivers, very little running to the outside I could go on and on.   Minschew is not a dangerous quarterback running an RPO.  Our offense is pretty much pigeon holed to run between the tackles, crosses, and a quick screen to a wr.  Not hard to game plan for imo.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

he still does nothing to make him more effective

Minshew is basically at his ceiling as a player. I'd argue that the way Steichen calls the offense is what helps keep Minshew productive. 

Minschew is not a dangerous quarterback running an RPO

Minshew is not a dangerous QB, period.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Superman said:

Minshew is basically at his ceiling as a player. I'd argue that the way Steichen calls the offense is what helps keep Minshew productive. 

Yeah Shane’s offense is limited by Minshew (as any coach would be working with a backup QB most of the year).  That’s part of why Shane should be in the running for coach of the year for having to reinvent the offense on the fly to suit Minshew and not Richardson who are different style QBs and having it be as effective as it’s been all year.  They have had what two games where they failed to score at least 20 points?  That’s pretty impressive for a rookie head coach and a backup QB.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Superman said:

Yeah that’s the problem with Minchew.  He’s not dangerous.  Yet he was one of the first players we signed and he can not run the entire offense.  Very limited in what he offers.   We somehow managed to get to this point so that’s a plus but I wouldn’t be in a rush to bring him back.  I would bet there will be better options out there in the off season.  The quarterback carousel is always moving.

2 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Yeah that’s the problem with Minchew.  He’s not dangerous.  Yet he was one of the first players we signed and he can not run the entire offense.  Very limited in what he offers.   We somehow managed to get to this point so that’s a plus but I wouldn’t be in a rush to bring him back.  I would bet there will be better options out there in the off season.  The quarterback carousel is always moving.

Do you think we would have done better with someone like... lets say Marcus Mariota, who has strengths and weaknesses closer to that of our starter? 

I'm not dying on the hill of "We should bring back Minshew" and I kind of agree we probably could do better, but I also think we can do worse. I think we all know what Minshew is... hell even Minshew knows what Minshew is... and in a certain way that's a plus. When AR is healthy you know you have a great locker room guy in Minshew who will help your starter prepare and help the team. You know he can actually play in the league. He's not great... he's not a starter... but he can actually run an offense competently and you can win some games with him if you end up in a situation when you need to play him. 

I think I will be OK with bringing him back... plus he seems to have great relationship with both AR and Steichen so... that's another plus. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Superman said:

I think we've seen about 30% of Steichen's offense so far. Most of what we do in the passing game is RPO, and stresses efficiency and getting rid of the ball quickly. We have a QB who doesn't handle pressure well, and doesn't threaten down the field. And the run game should be exponentially more diverse once we have a QB who can play a role.

I think Steichen's offense and play calling should be the least of our worries going into 2024.

I think Steichen's offense and playcalling has been fantastic when you consider the limitations of what he's working with and the sheer ammount of injuries at key positions/players. I'm never watching a game with Steichen on the sidelines and worrying about what he's going to call this time the way I used to with Reich. To me it feels like he has a good rhythm about his playcalling and he the problems of the offense are much more talent-based than coaching based. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, stitches said:

Do you think we would have done better with someone like... lets say Marcus Mariota, who has strengths and weaknesses closer to that of our starter? 

I'm not dying on the hill of "We should bring back Minshew" and I kind of agree we probably could do better, but I also think we can do worse. I think we all know what Minshew is... hell even Minshew knows what Minshew is... and in a certain way that's a plus. When AR is healthy you know you have a great locker room guy in Minshew who will help your starter prepare and help the team. You know he can actually play in the league. He's not great... he's not a starter... but he can actually run an offense competently and you can win some games with him if you end up in a situation when you need to play him. 

I think I will be OK with bringing him back... plus he seems to have great relationship with both AR and Steichen so... that's another plus. 

Yoy are 100%  here. You can plan around a QB when you know who he is. When a QB is so volatile it’s hard to plan around that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GoColts8818 said:

Like Dungy used to say it’s about executing not surprising teams.  If you out execute the other team it doesn’t matter what’s called.  It’s why Tom Moore used to say if you find something that works you call it until the other team stops it.

This is true.  But scheme does factor in when you start ranking out head coaches.  The guys at the top are all innovators on one side of the ball.  This is inevitable and has always been true and will always be true because the only way to hold on to an innovator is to place him in that top role.  But there's a lot to being a head coach.  There's the talent level you're working with.  There's your ability to teach and translate scheme from the board to the field by getting players to execute well.  There's tying together tons of other elements like how to optimize travel, practice scheduling, medical treatment of players etc.  There's also just having the gravitas to you in order to stand up in front of a room of professionals and get them polarized in one direction that you choose.

Which is why so many fail.  Steichen I am not sure to what extent he's an innovator, meaning leading new trends for the league.  Those guys are really rare.  But it doesn't matter for now when he's winning in year one.  You can go a long ways just being up to speed on trends and being smart enough to incorporate them and adjust them to fit your people.  So I'm very happy with him thus far.

How great would it be if JT had a huge, game-wrecking performance? He went 31 for 161 yards in the 2022 season opener and since then has one 100-yard game in the 19 games he’s played in. I understand he was solid vs the Raiders, but it could be the difference if he broke some long runs like he used to. JT calls himself “elite” and says he’s always looking for the big runs — this would be the perfect game to show he still has game-breaking ability. 

• Like 4