Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts 2024 Current Up to Date Roster + Cap Outlook. OP updated + on page 12(MERGE)

w87r

Just now, richard pallo said:

I said this in an earlier post.  A trade for Baker makes sense to me.  He’s younger than Simmons or Diggs.  I think the first knee jerk reaction is we are signing on of the two but I wouldn’t rule out Baker.

Nice nice. I didn't see it. Wasn't piggybacking off your post lol. I agree though. Baker plays FS. Simmons is better at SS. That would give us our S duo. 

It's one of the more obvious possibilities, I would be happy if it happened. We'll see as the S class isn't great. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, w87r said:

So what does all this extra cap space this year mean?

Diggs or Simmons?

Only problem I see with this is Blackmon, how will he take it if we bring in outside Safety making 2-3x what he is making?

Xavien Howard, Gilmore, Nelson?

Trade for someone? Baker?

Trade up in draft would cost more as well...

Countdown has begun.

The first impulse is to say Simmons or Diggs.  I think Ballard could very well make a bigger move.  I have mentioned three trades in earlier posts.  Baker, Aiyuk, or Crosby.  The Raiders would really want to move up for a quarterback to want our pick 15.  But our pick could easily help get them to 3or 4.  Some think Crosby is a foundation piece and they would never trade him.  But if you really want a certain quarterback you have to sacrifice something to get him.  Ballard wanted Hunter no reason he wouldn’t try for Crosby.  I like a Baker trade a lot as well because it’s a longer term fix in a position of need.  Trading for Aiyuk reminds me of the Bills move for Diggs.  I wouldn’t rule that out either.  I think the Crosby trade is the only one that would require our 1st pick.  The others would not imo.  For me something is definitely cooking.  Exciting times coming up I would say.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

The first impulse is to say Simmons or Diggs.  I think Ballard could very well make a bigger move.  I have mentioned three trades in earlier posts.  Baker, Aiyuk, or Crosby.  The Raiders would really want to move up for a quarterback to want our pick 15.  But our pick could easily help get them to 3or 4.  Some think Crosby is a foundation piece and they would never trade him.  But if you really want a certain quarterback you have to sacrifice something to get him.  Ballard wanted Hunter no reason he wouldn’t try for Crosby.  I like a Baker trade a lot as well because it’s a longer term fix in a position of need.  Trading for Aiyuk reminds me of the Bills move for Diggs.  I wouldn’t rule that out either.  I think the Crosby trade is the only one that would require our 1st pick.  The others would not imo.  For me something is definitely cooking.  Exciting times coming up I would say.

Wasn't even thinking about Aiyuk, very true 

This move actually covers his salary for this year.

All I know is something is going to happen.

This move wasn't made, at least to the degree it was made, to stand pat.

Hopefully we can do an Aiyuk trade after day 1, trade #46 and 2025 2nd or something, if that's the route we are going.

I don't see Crosby at all, but would be ecstatic to be wrong.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Crosby seems like he would be a Ballard guy. It probably would cost our 1st rounder for him. However, we might be able to pull off Dayo and a 3rd for Crosby or something like that so the Raiders get an EDGE back that they can extend for cheaper than Crosby and we only lose a 3rd to get an upgrade at EDGE.

There's a lot of possibilities there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Yoshinator said:

Maybe we will go after Akhello Witherspoon on a one-year deal? Maybe both him and Quandre Diggs? This is really interesting in any case. 

@richard pallo

Letting you know I moved couple post over here from Buckner thread, so we can keep that one about Buck.

12 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I think there’s little chance they move Crosby. And I don’t think they’ll look to make a move for a qb either. I think they are willing to see how their qb competition goes and want to see what this d-line can do together. Remember, they weren’t that far off last year either. That d-line will be dangerous. 

30 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

I was thinking Safety but didn’t think about the Blackmon angle. 🤔

At the end of the day that isn't going to stop us from improving the team.

He will just need to get out of his feels.

• Like 1

2024 Cap Space:

Spotrac - $28,194,348(76 players shown under contract) 

OtC - $28,412,296(76 players shown under contract) 

Re-signed

FA Signing

2024 Roster:(under contract)(76)

Offense:(37)

QB:(3) Anthony Richardson, Joe Flacco, Sam Ehlinger

RB:(5) Johnathan Taylor, Evan Hull, Trey Sermon, Tyler Goodson, Zavier Scott

WR:(9) Michael Pittman, Alex Pierce, Josh Downs, Ashton Dulin, DJ Montgomery, Juwann Winfree, Tyrie Cleveland, Ethan Fernea, Terrell Bynum

TE:(7) Mo Alie-Cox, Andrew Ogletree, Jelani Woods, Kylen Granson, Will Mallory, Jordan Murray, Eric Tomlinson

OT:(4) Bernard Raimann, Braden Smith, Blake Freeland, Jake Witt

OG:(5) Quentin Nelson, Will Fries, Josh Sills, Arlington Hambright, Lewis Kidd

OC:(4) Ryan Kelly, Danny Pinter, Wesley French, Jack Anderson 

Defense:(36)

DE:(7) Samson Ebukam, Kwity Paye, Dayo Odeyingbo, Tyquan Lewis, Titus Leo, Isaiah Land, Genard Avery 

DT:(6) Deforest Buckner, Grover Stewart, Raekwon Davis, Adetomiwa Adebawore, Taven Bryan, Eric Johnson

LB:(8) EJ Speed, Zaire Franklin, Ronnie Harrison, Grant Stuard, Cameron McGrone, Segun Olubi, Liam Anderson, Austin Ajiake

CB:(7) Dallis Flowers, JuJu Brents, Kenny Moore, Jaylon Jones, Ameer Speed, Chris Lammons, Darrell Baker Jr

S:(8) Julian Blackmon, Nick Cross, Rodney Thomas, Daniel Scott, Trevor Denbow, Marcel Dabo, Kendell Brooks, Michael Tutsie

SPT:(3)

K: Matt Gay

P: Rigoberto Sanchez 

LS: Luke Rhodes 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

• w87r changed the title to Colts 2024 Current Up to Date Roster + Cap Outlook. OP updated + on page 12(MERGE)

I have another off-the-wall prediction. Colts trade the Broncos their 15th pick for Patrick Surtain. They could use that pick to move up in the draft and get a QB. Them having 12 and 15 would get them ahead of the Vikings who have 11 and 23. 

We then extend Surtain to a long-term deal. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Yoshinator said:

I have another off-the-wall prediction. Colts trade the Broncos their 15th pick for Patrick Surtain. They could use that pick to move up in the draft and get a QB. Them having 12 and 15 would get them ahead of the Vikings who have 11 and 23. 

We then extend Surtain to a long-term deal. 

Yup.  Another good one.

• Thanks 1

Seems after looking at Spotrac and OtC this morning.

Spotrac has moved Dabo, to commissioners list with free spot. I was wondering if he had 1 more year with a free roster spot exemption, seems he may.

Only reason that is a big deal is it actually gives another spot now, so instead of having (14) spots remaining, we have (15).

Spotrac is yet to update Buckner's extension numbers.

• Like 1

Just now, w87r said:

Seems after looking at Spotrac and OtC this morning.

Spotrac has moved Dabo, to commissioners list with free spot. I was wondering if he had 1 more year with a free roster spot exemption, seems he may.

Only reason that is a big deal is it actually gives another spot now, so instead of having (14) spots remaining, we have (15).

Spotrac is yet to update Buckner's extension numbers.

Yeah, I forgot about Marcel Dabo. That's good news.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ChuggaBeer said:

So with the extra cap space, assuming they are planning to make a move.    Would you all think it is better to sign a vet WR and draft a CB.  Or sign a vet CB with a WR in the draft?

Sign a vet CB and draft a WR. The WR cupboard is bare now in FA. Not only that, rookie CBs tend to take longer to develop as rookies, and this WR class is loaded. The CB class is nice too, but we need a veteran CB for Gus Bradley. We have Pittman at WR as a veteran.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, w87r said:

Well I think this is more in reference to the extension. We were giving him the money so he wouldn't of been a FA next year anyway.

We did steal $7.2m away from 2027 though if that was their purpose, but that doesn't calculate as making too much sense to me.

No need to add those void years unless you plan to use up some more money this year, imo.

Now the cap will rollover whatever is left but idk? That just doesn't seem to be what it is, at least not to me. Time will tell, at least we get a little more excitement and unknown anticipation leading up to the draft.

And, if I remember correctly, any signing after (I think) May 1st means it’s not figured into draft pick compensation; correct?    So if the Colts are trying for Simmons/Diggs, it’s better if the deal is done post May 1, correct?   

Or am I mixing up issues?    

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

And, if I remember correctly, any signing after (I think) May 1st means it’s not figured into draft pick compensation; correct?    So if the Colts are trying for Simmons/Diggs, it’s better if the deal is done post May 1, correct?   

Or am I mixing up issues?    

Are you talking about compensatory picks?

Yeah it's, I think the 1st or 2nd Monday after the draft. Something like that 

It really doesn't effect us this year though, as we aren't due to get a comp pick next year.

Minshew and  Moss got cancelled out by Flacco and Davis.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, w87r said:

Are you talking about compensatory picks?

Yeah it's, I think the 1st or 2nd Monday after the draft. Something like that 

It really doesn't effect us this year though, as we aren't due to get a comp pick next year.

Minshew and  Moss got cancelled out by Flacco and Davis.

Why would Minshew get cancelled out by Flacco and Davis? Minshew got more than both of them. He should only be cancelled out if we signed a FA equal to or more than Minshew.

2 minutes ago, Yoshinator said:

Why would Minshew get cancelled out by Flacco and Davis? Minshew got more than both of them. He should only be cancelled out if we signed a FA equal to or more than Minshew.

https://overthecap.com/compensatory-picks

Minshew got cancelled for Davis

Moss got cancelled for Flacco 

Of course these are just projections, but they have been doing it for many years and seem to be fairly accurate.

Here's their formula

https://overthecap.com/compensatory-formula

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, w87r said:

https://overthecap.com/compensatory-picks

Minshew got cancelled for Davis

Moss got cancelled for Flacco 

Of course these are just projections, but they have been doing it for many years and seem to be fairly accurate.

Here's their formula

https://overthecap.com/compensatory-formula

Flacco makes sense cancelling out Moss as he was half a million more than him. Minshew went for $5.5 million more a year than Davis. How the hell does that take away our 5th round pick? Not mad at you, but I'm tired of not getting any compensatory picks. 

Absolute garbage way of determining who gets picks. Can't sign anyone and you don't gain any picks. Absolutely sickening. A 5th rounder doesn't seem like a big deal, but it is when Ballard has a track record of hitting on late picks a decent amount of the time.

28 minutes ago, Yoshinator said:

Flacco makes sense cancelling out Moss as he was half a million more than him. Minshew went for $5.5 million more a year than Davis. How the hell does that take away our 5th round pick? Not mad at you, but I'm tired of not getting any compensatory picks. 

Absolute garbage way of determining who gets picks. Can't sign anyone and you don't gain any picks. Absolutely sickening. A 5th rounder doesn't seem like a big deal, but it is when Ballard has a track record of hitting on late picks a decent amount of the time.

Yeah, seems like a big gap between those two players.

Who knows maybe next year rolls around and we have one, but like I said, they are pretty accurate. So I won't be anticipating it, but it will be a welcomed addition.

Moved this talk over from Buckner thread as well 

• Like 1

Just now, w87r said:

Yeah, seems like a big gap between those two players.

Who knows maybe next year rolls around and we have one, but like I said, they are pretty accurate. So I won't be anticipating it, but it will be a welcomed addition.

Moved this talk over from Buckner thread as well 

Yeah maybe. Sorry for overreacting a bit. Just didn't realize they determined picks like that.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Yoshinator said:

Yeah maybe. Sorry for overreacting a bit. Just didn't realize they determined picks like that.

I didn't think you overreacted that much.

Also, there were 150 players contracts in between those 2 deals(207/357). That is a lot, hard to believe that those 2 would cancel each other out.

• Like 1

Just now, w87r said:

I didn't think you overreacted that much.

Also, there were 150 players contracts in between those 2 deals(207/357). That is a lot, hard to believe that those 2 would cancel each other out.

Yeah for sure. I'm guessing Ballard will trade down in the first 2 days of the draft. So we'll probably end up with 9 picks or so anyway.

So 1st of, the OP is updated

I wanted to go through draft day trades and evaluate them vs the trade vue charts.

Vikings-Jets deal:

Vikings send 11, 129 (4th round), 157 (5th round) 

Jets for 10, 203 (6th round)

10 - 1300

203 - 10.2

1310.2pts

11 - 1250

129 - 43

157 - 28.6

1321.6pts

Jets actually took a 6th round loss on the drop down.

Vikings-Jaguars deal:

Vikings get:

2024 1st-round pick (No. 17)(950)

950pts

Jaguars get:

2024 1st-round pick (No. 23)(760)

2024 5th-round pick (No. 167)(24.6)

2025 3rd-round pick(116)

2025 4th-round pick(24.6)

925.2pts

Vikings got additional 5th round value for moving down.

So Vikings in these 2 trade downs won both trades by additional 5th + 6th

Cowboys-Lions deal:

Cowboys rec:# 29 +73 

Lions rec: #24 and a 2025 seventh-round pick.

24 - (740)

2025 7th - (1)

741pts

29 - (640)

73 - (225)

865pts

Cowboys gained 124pts, a late 3rd, in trade down(#94 pick value)

Bills-Panthers deal:

Panthers rec:

#32, #200

Bills rec: #33, #141

32 - 590

200 - 11.4

601.4pts

33 - 580

141 - 35.5

615.5pts

Difference of a 6th round pick.

Chiefs-Bills deal:

Chiefs rec: #28, #133, #248

Bills rec: #32, #95, #221

28 - 660

133 - 39.5

248 - 1

700.5pts

32 - 590

95 - 120

221 - 3

713pts

Another trade with a 6th round difference in value

So on this small sample size, I would say these trades were pretty close to the charts.

Outlier is Cowboys trade with a big gap. Links must of really wanted their guy, I'm sure there was competition to get to that spot, so an overpay makes some sense.