Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Von Miller Felony

RollerColt

She recants her story and said per the article nothing happened, it was a verbal disagreement. Well once you call the police it is too late lady and out of the hands of the parties involved. It is up to the prosecutor whether or not to press charges now. I have always said, never get the police involved unless you feel like you are in extreme danger. She is saying she wasn't, too late lady.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

She recants her story and said per the article nothing happened, it was a verbal disagreement. Well once you call the police it is too late lady and out of the hands of the parties involved. It is up to the prosecutor whether or not to press charges now. I have always said, never get the police involved unless you feel like you are in extreme danger. She is saying she wasn't, too late lady.

Yeah.  She said she was being choked.  That should be easy to confirm.   If she was he needs to go to prison.  If she wasn't she needs to spend a few weeks in jail

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Well, that is why they call it "he said, she said".

I don't automatically take sides in these kind of situations; I wait until I learn all the facts.  Just because the woman accuses someone of assault doesn't mean it happened.  If the man denies it, that doesn't mean he's innocent, either.

It's unfortunate that I feel this way, but there have too many false accusations. It's best to wait until there is enough evidence before jumping to any conclusions. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

That’s not entirely true at all. If the alleged victim does not want to pursue charges and is over the age of 18, in most cases, the prosecutor can’t bring charges. There are exceptions like witnesses and such but even then, it’s very unlikely to bring a case if the victim recants or otherwise chooses not to pursue charges

47 minutes ago, csmopar said:

That’s not entirely true at all. If the alleged victim does not want to pursue charges and is over the age of 18, in most cases, the prosecutor can’t bring charges. There are exceptions like witnesses and such but even then, it’s very unlikely to bring a case if the victim recants or otherwise chooses not to pursue charges

Yeah, but the 911 call seems to have been made public and NFL could have their own investigation and suspend him for certain number of games.

Now he may need to spend more time home. I guess NFL will give suspension for a certain number of games. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

Yeah, but the 911 call seems to have been made public and NFL could have their own investigation and suspend him for certain number of games.

Now he may need to spend more time home. I guess NFL will give suspension for a certain number of games. 

I don’t expect much from the NFL on this, they rarely issue punishments equal to the crime. I’ve seen them hand out 1 or 2 games suspensions for things like this but then season long bans for gambling. 

56 minutes ago, csmopar said:

I don’t expect much from the NFL on this, they rarely issue punishments equal to the crime. I’ve seen them hand out 1 or 2 games suspensions for things like this but then season long bans for gambling. 

Ha ha..

As long as the couple are fine, and both don't enrage each other again, and he doesn't take it to violence again... I guess. 

11 hours ago, csmopar said:

Most states don't allow the victim to drop the charges once they have charged. 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, csmopar said:

I have heard this also. Why is that? Is it because the prosecution needs the victim to cooperate?

In the Ray Rice case, it was clear that he committed a crime, but his then girlfriend (future wife) did not want him prosecuted. I can't recall if charges were brought against him. I thought he was prosecuted, but his punishment seemed light.

7 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

I have heard this also. Why is that? Is it because the prosecution needs the victim to cooperate?

In the Ray Rice case, it was clear that he committed a crime, but his then girlfriend (future wife) did not want him prosecuted. I can't recall if charges were brought against him. I thought he was prosecuted, but his punishment seemed light.

They offered him a plea.  Dropped the charges and he had to go to counseling 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jvan1973 said:

Correct, I know Indiana doesn't. I have seen many cases here that were out of the control of the parties involved when Carl Brizzi was prosecutor. She made the 911 call and claimed to be battered and the cops then got involved. At that point, she can say what she wants now, which she is trying to say nothing happened. Too late. I remember when Jamal Tinsley punch a bar owner in the face breaking his jaw, a bar I used to go too like once a month. Cops were called, the owner then didn't want to press charges. Too late, Carl Brizzi took the case because he felt the owner of the bar was assaulted which he was.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

After the prosecutor listens to the 911 call and if it is obvious something was happening, and if there is any evidence of bruising on here, he can take the case. Nothing Von or his girlfriend can do about it. 

46 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

After the prosecutor listens to the 911 call and if it is obvious something was happening, and if there is any evidence of bruising on here, he can take the case. Nothing Von or his girlfriend can do about it. 

In the end, they will reach a settlement.

Von Miller might miss this season, and as the settlement is reached, NFL will at the maximum suspend him this year and reinstate next year. 

It's December already, and season is gonna be over in a hurry. 

4 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

Perhaps.  I’ve seen prosecutors in the middle of the trial drop the charges for various reasons.  Seen more than one time where a victim has refused to testify and the defense motions to dismiss based on that and usually it’s dismissed  as charges withdrawn to allow for refilling at a later date. Happened on a couple of my own cases. Though I’m pretty sure it was under duress but couldn’t prove it

3 hours ago, NFLfan said:

Unless backed up by other physical evidence, most judges will allow charges to be dropped if the victim wishes to not pursue and the prosecutor agrees. 

that said, if the prosecution has other evidence, physical, videos, medical reports, eye witnesses etc, then they can proceed without the victim but it opens up the possibility of a defense attorney getting the charges dismissed later or at least a lighter sentence. Which is probably what happened with Ray Rice but I can only speculate on that one

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Correct, I know Indiana doesn't. I have seen many cases here that were out of the control of the parties involved when Carl Brizzi was prosecutor. She made the 911 call and claimed to be battered and the cops then got involved. At that point, she can say what she wants now, which she is trying to say nothing happened. Too late. I remember when Jamal Tinsley punch a bar owner in the face breaking his jaw, a bar I used to go too like once a month. Cops were called, the owner then didn't want to press charges. Too late, Carl Brizzi took the case because he felt the owner of the bar was assaulted which he was.

Nope. Indiana does. I have seen it happen a lot, especially in domestic violence cases.  The spouse calls cops to stop the abuse but then decides not to press charges and then they’re dropped. And more than a majority of the time, they’re calling for help again within a month. 

4 hours ago, csmopar said:

Nope. Indiana does. I have seen it happen a lot, especially in domestic violence cases.  The spouse calls cops to stop the abuse but then decides not to press charges and then they’re dropped. And more than a majority of the time, they’re calling for help again within a month. 

But that is up to the prosecutor,  not the victim.   If there is evidence like a 911 call and injuries to the victim,  they may let him plea, no way they drop charges 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, King Colt said:

Texas penalty for third degree felonies is 2-10 yrs. prison and $10,000. It is considered more serious than a misdemeanor. He could walk away with feathers muffed.

Obviously a felony is considered more serious than a misdemeanor 

• Thanks 1