Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts released Shaq Leonard

CR91

I didn't think he fit Gus scheme well. Might do better if you get him back in the cover 2 at Will like he used to be. Eberflus may give him another shot. Or another 2 deep squad. There was no room for him. The two starters are healthier and playing better than him.

3 minutes ago, Superman said:

That might be the silver lining in all of this. There's a building sense that things are different in the building lately, and if that materializes this offseason, it could be really good. 

I always got the sense that Steichen would be really good for Ballard. Just seems way more demanding then Reich ever was.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Blueblood23 said:

They should be able to get a linebacker for half price that can play.

We need a CB and I don’t know the status of Brents this coming game. But I would think the Colts have a plan in mind after cutting Shaq. Is there a CB available right now that could help us? My guess is know because I’m sure there are a lot teams looking for the same thing.

someone in our division may  grab him and allow him to play like he did before gus came along, also ballard paid him based on his playing style before gus less aggressive soft style came along. i think gus told ballard he did not fit his system. imo gus should have went instead of shaq

48 minutes ago, w87r said:

Yeah,

Moosejaw dropping on the floor laughing, when he realizes he can come on here and claim to be right. 

Moose always claims to be right.    He thought he was right when he didn’t like Shaq and Q in their early years when BOTH were playing at a Hall of Fame level. 

The beauty of Moose, he’s never wrong. 

13 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

New head coach with no ties to a FORMER All Pro who is a shell of his former self. I have been saying it since the beginning of the season he will be released, did not expect it mid-season though!??! 

I thank him for the outstanding years provided prior to his injury though! 

The facts are easily seen on the field, Franklin and Speed are simply outplaying him. 

Good luck to him and I hope he never plays again and saved his bag to live comfortably off of the rest of his life.

Well….  Those facts aren’t clear to PFF.   They have Shaq graded comfortably higher than both Franklin and Speed.  I think it’s roughly 6-8 points better for Shaq. 

9 minutes ago, OLD FAN MAN said:

someone in our division may  grab him and allow him to play like he did before gus came along, also ballard paid him based on his playing style before gus less aggressive soft style came along. i think gus told ballard he did not fit his system. imo gus should have went instead of shaq

And you have proof of any of this?

48 minutes ago, chickenMan said:

No way the Colts get Tee, the Bengals will fight hard to keep him and when that doesn’t work there will be a massive bidding war for him

The Bengals will get a Top 10 pick and get a shot at Rome Odunze or Malik Nabers to pair with Chase. They will gladly take that and bolster their D and OL a little more. They don't need Higgins as much as Higgins needs a marquee QB like Burrow. They still have good pass catchers like Boyd and Irwin to complement Chase. They build on it via the draft.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

I like this guy too, but he is in the slot at least 80% of the time at LSU

I wonder if he is viewed as an X or Y as well by the pros

So was Justin Jefferson, right? The guy who was outside more was JaMarr Chase. That was the word coming into the draft, can Justin Jefferson play all around the field? He answered that.

12 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Moose always claims to be right.    He thought he was right when he didn’t like Shaq and Q in their early years when BOTH were playing at a Hall of Fame level. 

The beauty of Moose, he’s never wrong. 

Like a broken clock, it is easy to be right a few times. At some point, a player fades away, some sooner than others. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, chad72 said:

So was Justin Jefferson, right? The guy who was outside more was JaMarr Chase. That was the word coming into the draft, can Justin Jefferson play all around the field? He answered that.

I dont recall. (I am getting old) :)

But..... some can..... some cant go from slot to outside

4 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Wonder if Vikings will keep Jefferson or start to rebuild.

After seeing Chiefs' WRs have 26 drops in 10 games to lead the season, I am thinking everyone is holding on to their No.1 guy at any cost. :) 

That is the thing with the Eagles - they went ahead and got Kevin Byard and Bradley Roby who were out there, one at trade deadline and one in FA, both made important plays vs the Chiefs yesterday. Chiefs - they saw their WR issues, they stood pat at the trade deadline, could have traded for DHop or someone else, and helped out Mahomes but nah, they were too arrogant thinking Mahomes can make chicken salad out of lousy ingredients and what transpired yesterday is the result of it.

1 minute ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Wonder if Vikings will keep Jefferson or start to rebuild.

There will be some FA WRs that could help the Colts.....

I hope they DONT go that path, unless they cant find a solution in the draft.

IMHO

Sign ALL of your own, and then grab a DE in FA that can play

2 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

I dont recall. (I am getting old) :)

But..... some can..... some cant go from slot to outside

You have to evaluate based on body type and if they are willing to put in the work on learning the nuances of the WR position.

55 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

At this point he is easily replaceable. Build up the DL and the LBers will flourish as will the secondary. I want another very good DT to rotate with Buck and Grove as well as someone who is consistently good at getting after the QB. Not sure Kwity is the answer there. 

Kwity is a DE not a DT.   

The two other DT’s helping are Bryan and Dayo.   I think both have been decent.   

Just now, chad72 said:

You have to evaluate based on body type and if they are willing to put in the work on learning the nuances of the WR position.

His body type appear to be more slot than outside......

The guy is dynamic, so if he can make it at outside WR.... than so be it

2 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Wth

Cato June, the LB coach, was a former safety in college and played WLB for Colts under Dungy. Happens all the time.

Answers @RollerColt too

Tweeners between safety and LB weight ranges play coverage LBer a lot, a slower CB gets converted to safety etc. happens enough in the NFL.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

He’s not the same player he was and he probably never will be again. I’ve had the sinking suspicion for a while now and it’s only been proven true so far. 

That said, with us taking the dead cap hit I can’t help but think someone would have given a 4 or a 5 for him just because they could, consequence free. And I’ve said it several times this season, I trust Ballard with a day 3 pick exponentially more than I do a day 1 or 2. His new team could have worked out a restructured deal with him if things worked out. 

But now we have this LB we paid 6 figures to, got very few healthy snaps out of (or did we even get any at all? It’s been so long ago now that I can’t even recall if he was healthy when he got it or not off the top of my head,) and now we’ve just let him go for nothing in return but the cap hit. 

The only way we could have taken a bigger L here is if we had sent a draft pick of our own out the door with him. No argument that the split was necessary, but this is how we engineer it? For free on a random Tuesday after the bye two weeks after the trade deadline?

Watching this team and Ballard flail wildly like this while we perennially struggle has grown real old. 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Cato June, the LB coach, was a former safety in college and played WLB for Colts under Dungy. Happens all the time.

Answers @RollerColt too

Tweeners between safety and LB weight ranges play coverage LBer a lot, a slower CB gets converted to safety etc. happens enough in the NFL.

Hope it works out.