Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Playoff Chances Improve…

NewColtsFan

14 minutes ago, Patrick Miller said:

Honestly I just don’t think this colts team is good enough to be taken as a serious contender. If we make the playoffs there will be a lot of luck involved and I’m sure it’ll be a one and done. 

To be honest there is a lot of luck involved for a team to get a wild card spot.  That said to get there is an achievement the players and coaches work very hard to achieve.  So if it’s one and done so be it.  Hats off to them if they make it.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Superman said:

I think we're witnessing the dramatic drop-off that happens to almost every backup QB who has to play for a full season. Minshew has been bad lately, and now teams are sitting on the run. I'm happy to be wrong, but I think the limitations of having a backup level QB running the show are going to hold the offense back.

If Steichen is good at self scouting, that is probably the direction he will go too, to improve Minshew's pocket awareness, rolling him out more so that the passing game is less of a liability, even if it can't function as well as with the primary starter.

I am hoping that is how we come out of the bye, using TEs more, rolling Minshew out more, using our RBs in our passing game more, and get some more 50-50 balls for Pittman and Pierce to give them a chance, where they have delivered more often (otherwise Ds will sit underneath constantly). 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Superman said:

I think we're witnessing the dramatic drop-off that happens to almost every backup QB who has to play for a full season. Minshew has been bad lately, and now teams are sitting on the run. I'm happy to be wrong, but I think the limitations of having a backup level QB running the show are going to hold the offense back.

Thats very true to actually think about. That usually does happen, and proves why they are backups for a reason.

14 hours ago, Bbswatching said:

I know most don't like hearing this.  But is that a good thing?  Without Richardson, we should be looking for better draft picks.  We aren't gonna compete in playoffs.  Minshew isn't the answer for it.   It would be better to lose this year.  And look toward the future.  

I mean you never know, we dont play bad ball with Minshew so we can win every game with him if we come to play. We beat the Ravens, even if it was lucky, we can still get lucky in the playoffs. Now i dont think we will, but crazier things have happened and honestly not many AFC teams scare me. They are all flawed and we can beat every AFC team. I bet you Chiefs fans would be a little nervous to face the Colts in the playoffs. We have there number!

18 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Your probably right but if they sneak in that is a huge accomplishment.

Is it though?

People here have been talking about how we have a chance now because Burrow (and Watson) is out. Is beating up on injured teams a huge accomplishment?

Not saying it isn't something the team and fans wouldn't be happy about, I'm just a big proponent for "if you want to be the best you have to beat the best at their best".

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, tweezy32 said:

I mean you never know, we dont play bad ball with Minshew so we can win every game with him if we come to play. We beat the Ravens, even if it was lucky, we can still get lucky in the playoffs. Now i dont think we will, but crazier things have happened and honestly not many AFC teams scare me. They are all flawed and we can beat every AFC team. I bet you Chiefs fans would be a little nervous to face the Colts in the playoffs. We have there number!

The offense put up 13 points... against the Panthers...

And before the bye it was 10 points against the Patriots.

It's been a downward spiral for some weeks now with Minshew at QB. I think, because the defense has injuries, they won't bad able to carry the team now when we kinda need them to.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Solid84 said:

It's been a downward spiral for some weeks now with Minshew at QB. I think, because the defense has injuries, they won't bad able to carry the team now when we kinda need them to.

Good point. I think, if the Colts are to go anywhere this season (which I have doubts)...

It will depend on Gardner Minshew improving his game. The way he has regressed, if he doesn't play better, we will probably finish below 500. Coming out, after this bye week, Minshew getting some of his old magic back, is the only way we can have a chance.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

It will be interesting to see if Steichen has found a way to get the offense going in the bye week.  Maybe we will see more roll outs for example.  This break has given him the opportunity to help Minchew more with play design.  We’ll see.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

It will be interesting to see if Steichen has found a way to get the offense going in the bye week.  Maybe we will see more roll outs for example.  This break has given him the opportunity to help Minchew more with play design.  We’ll see.

I hope you're right. There is room for improvement when it comes to playcalling and Minshew. He's had a lot of batted passes I feel, so rolling him out, as you said, could be a way to get pressure out of his face and give him a better view of the field.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

I hope you're right. There is room for improvement when it comes to playcalling and Minshew. He's had a lot of batted passes I feel, so rolling him out, as you said, could be a way to get pressure out of his face and give him a better view of the field.

Exactly.  Those batted balls drive me crazy.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Superman said:

@jskinnz

The Colts/Steelers game on 12/17 is considered a TBD game, and could be flexed to Saturday 12/16. Not predicting anything, I just happened to come across that info.

Yeah, saw that. 

The other games that are listed as tbd for that weekend are not very sexy. There will be a 4:30 game and 8pm game on that Saturday. I actually think the Colts game has a better than 50/50 chance of being moved to that Saturday. 

16 hours ago, jskinnz said:

Yeah, saw that. 

The other games that are listed as tbd for that weekend are not very sexy. There will be a 4:30 game and 8pm game on that Saturday. I actually think the Colts game has a better than 50/50 chance of being moved to that Saturday. 

The AFC standings continue to be a mess, so yeah, that game might have significant implications. 

Other TBD games are Broncos/Lions, which is probably the first pick right now. Then Bears/Browns (no thanks), Falcons/Panthers (nope), and Vikings/Bengals (maybe, but if the Bengals implode without Burrow, then no). So we're one of five options, and might be more relevant than three of them. 

• Like 4

20 hours ago, Superman said:

@jskinnz

The Colts/Steelers game on 12/17 is considered a TBD game, and could be flexed to Saturday 12/16. Not predicting anything, I just happened to come across that info.

I hope it ends up on Saturday. Every year I have the Saturday before Christmas to myself at home. Colts might end up righ a prime time game in here with the messy AFC.

22 minutes ago, Boondoggle said:

The worst place to be is that final draft pick prior to the playoff teams.  Feels like the Colts are heading for it too.

Hope they get in.  But the Texans look like a much better team due to QB.  That kid is killing it.

Yup….   Could easily see the Colts finishing out if the playoffs but picking 16th or 17th.    

The Colts are currently 7th in the AFC, so they actually get in the playoffs and pick even later.   It’s been a very unique season. 

Our defense is bad, We have to outscore/outlast our offensive opponent to win, luckily for our schedule its doable in most match ups.....getting Grover back will help with the run up the gut problems....however still too weak and inconsistent in pass rush and pass coverage....Some times we look like world beaters, other times we look like the 2's in a pre season snoozer.........

On 11/21/2023 at 9:53 AM, Solid84 said:

Is it though?

People here have been talking about how we have a chance now because Burrow (and Watson) is out. Is beating up on injured teams a huge accomplishment?

Not saying it isn't something the team and fans wouldn't be happy about, I'm just a big proponent for "if you want to be the best you have to beat the best at their best".

Not one person thought about this team being the best this year. So yes, getting to the playoffs, even if it is beating teams without their star qb's (news flash! we are that team too...) is an absolute huge accomplishment a year removed from winning 4 games and firing the head coach. 

On 11/26/2023 at 4:40 PM, Superman said:

The AFC standings continue to be a mess, so yeah, that game might have significant implications. 

Other TBD games are Broncos/Lions, which is probably the first pick right now. Then Bears/Browns (no thanks), Falcons/Panthers (nope), and Vikings/Bengals (maybe, but if the Bengals implode without Burrow, then no). So we're one of five options, and might be more relevant than three of them. 

I think we are Saturday night. The Sunday night game is set with Baltimore-Jacksonville. The Colts-Steelers game makes sense for primetime with the implications. Of course that all could go down the drain over the next two weeks, but at this point, it looks like a big time matchup. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

Not one person thought about this team being the best this year. So yes, getting to the playoffs, even if it is beating teams without their star qb's (news flash! we are that team too...) is an absolute huge accomplishment a year removed from winning 4 games and firing the head coach. 

That's fine, but I dislike watching crappy football and going on to win, well, anything on the back of Minshew's questionable play and Bradley's "prevent" defense would leave me with a sour taste in my mouth.

I'd likely still be happy, but it would just feel... I don't know how to put it... incomplete? Flukey?

39 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

That's fine, but I dislike watching crappy football and going on to win, well, anything on the back of Minshew's questionable play and Bradley's "prevent" defense would leave me with a sour taste in my mouth.

I'd likely still be happy, but it would just feel... I don't know how to put it... incomplete? Flukey?

I could sit here and say I believe at least half of Tom Brady’s super bowls were flukey. Does that diminish them any? 

wins aren’t easy to come by in this league. The playoffs are rare. Some teams struggle to get there for decades. There is nothing flukey about winning, with a backup qb at that. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

I could sit here and say I believe at least half of Tom Brady’s super bowls were flukey. Does that diminish them any? 

wins aren’t easy to come by in this league. The playoffs are rare. Some teams struggle to get there for decades. There is nothing flukey about winning, with a backup qb at that. 

That’s fine I guess, I don’t think so though. The Patriots played good football all years they won, so I we won’t agree on that. 

6 hours ago, Solid84 said:

That’s fine I guess, I don’t think so though. The Patriots played good football all years they won, so I we won’t agree on that. 

That’s kind of my point. They played great football. They won flukey games at times leading them to superbowls and played in the worst division maybe ever. Does not diminish their wins whatsoever. 

and I don’t believe we are playing “crappy football.” We have scored 20 plus in all but one game, good for 8th in the league. Top half in offensive yardage. We are #6 in sacks. 12th in turnover ratio. That isn’t crappy football in anyone’s understanding of the game, except apparently yours, especially with a backup qb that is pretty mediocre.

Last year was crappy football for the colts… 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

That’s kind of my point. They played great football. They won flukey games at times leading them to superbowls and played in the worst division maybe ever. Does not diminish their wins whatsoever. 

and I don’t believe we are playing “crappy football.” We have scored 20 plus in all but one game, good for 8th in the league. Top half in offensive yardage. We are #6 in sacks. 12th in turnover ratio. That isn’t crappy football in anyone’s understanding of the game, except apparently yours, especially with a backup qb that is pretty mediocre.

I actually thought Sunday's game was pretty entertaining. Mustache threw for 251 yards and even ran a TD in, some of Taylor's runs were fantastic too. Pittman had a couple of great catches and that 4th and 1 play we pulled off to Cox, may have been the play of the week period. Watching Shane coach was fun because you never knew what he was going to do next. It was fun watching our defense get to Baker a lot too. 

I am one though that just wants to win. If we went 20-0 and won every game 9-6, I would take it. Bottomline is, is wins and losses. In the Peyton era we played beautiful football in 2003, 2004, and in 2005, and had nothing to show for it. I thought in 2006 we had some close ugly wins like at Baltimore in the playoffs, but we won the SB. That is why 2006 was the best team we have ever had. The 2007 Patriots will go down as a small footnote because they lost to the Giants in the SB and look at all the teams they blew out to get to 18-0. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Bottomline is, is wins and losses

That’s what everyone judges on. I’m confident the Steelers won’t care about their ugly wins if they make it in. 

I sure won’t care if it’s “crappy football” as long as we are playing in January. I think a top rushing attack, protecting the football and pressuring qb’s can win in the playoffs. If we finish strong and make it there, I won’t mind losing. But if we can cause chaos from the 6 or 7 seed…. That would be as much fun as I’ve had in a long time. 

• Like 1

Just now, ColtStrong2013 said:

That’s what everyone judges on. I’m confident the Steelers won’t care about their ugly wins if they make it in. 

I sure won’t care if it’s “crappy football” as long as we are playing in January. I think a top rushing attack, protecting the football and pressuring qb’s can win in the playoffs. If we finish strong and make it there, I won’t mind losing. But if we can cause chaos from the 6 or 7 seed…. That would be as much fun as I’ve had in a long time. 

I agree. If we do make it in and get a cold weather game, we actually have the advantage because we have Taylor and Moss. 

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I agree. If we do make it in and get a cold weather game, we actually have the advantage because we have Taylor and Moss. 

and possibly more grinding wins than some of the top teams. We’ve won in Baltimore. I’m sure they wouldn’t enjoy playing us again with JT added to the mix. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I actually thought Sunday's game was pretty entertaining. Mustache threw for 251 yards and even ran a TD in, some of Taylor's runs were fantastic too. Pittman had a couple of great catches and that 4th and 1 play we pulled off to Cox, may have been the play of the week period. Watching Shane coach was fun because you never knew what he was going to do next. It was fun watching our defense get to Baker a lot too. 

I am one though that just wants to win. If we went 20-0 and won every game 9-6, I would take it. Bottomline is, is wins and losses. In the Peyton era we played beautiful football in 2003, 2004, and in 2005, and had nothing to show for it. I thought in 2006 we had some close ugly wins like at Baltimore in the playoffs, but we won the SB. That is why 2006 was the best team we have ever had. The 2007 Patriots will go down as a small footnote because they lost to the Giants in the SB and look at all the teams they blew out to get to 18-0. 

Yep, no style points in the NFL like college. :) 

15 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Ravens or Chiefs will get our best shot for sure. But the Ravens will be ready for us this time, so I'd rather surprise the Chiefs and hope they drop their chances against us. :) 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Yep, no style points in the NFL like college. :) 

Ravens or Chiefs will get our best shot for sure. But the Ravens will be ready for us this time, so I'd rather surprise the Chiefs and hope they drop their chances against us. :) 

I wouldn't mind the Jags in the WildCard Game. It would be warmer weather but we wouldn't have to deal with Mahomes or Lamar to start out with. We also are due to win there, that would be great if we when in there and won a playoff game.

32 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

If we end up 7th, we would play the #2 seed. #1 gets a Bye. I think the Ravens will get the #1 seed.

It would be hilarious for us to go back into Baltimore and smack them out of the playoffs in the wildcard. 

And we've got the team built for cold weather football. Run with JT, run with Moss, pass to Pittman and Downs. Involve the TEs. 

It'd be nice to shut up their arrogant fans. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

Yeah but what I originally ment was It'd feel incomplete/flukey/hollow if we won by playing bad football all year. Not a few games. And the "crappy/bad" football is an exaggeration to emphasize my point.

In a season where so many QBs and starters are injured I wouldn't be surprised if a dark horse went and won it all. If that was the Colts it'd feel hollow to me, because while we're not playing crappy/bad, we're not playing anywhere near SB level.

1 minute ago, Solid84 said:

Yeah but what I originally ment was It'd feel incomplete/flukey/hollow if we won by playing bad football all year. Not a few games. And the "crappy/bad" football is an exaggeration to emphasize my point.

In a season where so many QBs and starters are injured I wouldn't be surprised if a dark horse went and won it all. If that was the Colts it'd feel hollow to me, because while we're not playing crappy/bad, we're not playing anywhere near SB level.

You know how many teams are playing crappy football right now?  A lot.  And many of them are still in the playoff race.  To feel hollow if we happened to win it blows my mind.  Do you know hard it is to get in and win?  Extremely hard.  A lot has to go right for a team to win a Super Bowl.  A lot of luck is needed along the way.  I would count our lucky stars and cherish the win.  We might never get another one in our lifetimes.  You beat whoever is in front of you.  That’s what you have to do and hope you are the last one standing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

You know how many teams are playing crappy football right now?  A lot.  And many of them are still in the playoff race.  To feel hollow if we happened to win it blows my mind.  Do you know hard it is to get in and win?  Extremely hard.  A lot has to go right for a team to win a Super Bowl.  A lot of luck is needed along the way.  I would count our lucky stars and cherish the win.  We might never get another one in our lifetimes.  You beat whoever is in front of you.  That’s what you have to do and hope you are the last one standing.

That's fine. I love watching good football and I want the best team, not the luckiest, to win. 

19 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

I’m sure the Kansas City chiefs and Philadelphia Eagles will feel the same way if they win the Super Bowl this year… 🙄 

“Man, it just doesn’t feel right to win when so many teams were playing crappy football this year.” 

• Like 1