Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

NFL Preview Colts vs Patriots plus injury reports

Restinpeacesweetchloe

29 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Happy Franklin is practicing. I think Belichick will try to run Stephenson down our throats. Could use Smith too, as I figure BB will send creative blitzes, which our O-line has struggled with assignments in the past

26 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Good to see Smith practicing again, but it probably would be best to let him rest up even more going into the bye. He's been banged up... 

If the Colts were out of playoff contention , that's valid. But for now the object is to win games and if Smith is ready to go , he should IMO play.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

You’re practicing you are playing.  There’s no crying in football.  Lol

Especially when your pay is around 18 million per year. I remember when Jack Youngblood played with a broken leg. Missed like 2-3 games in 14 years. Was All Pro year after year. His first contract was 3 years for 105K. Couldn't find what he was making in his prime. I would guess maybe 150K ?

The Patriots' offense is one of the worst in the league, across many metrics. Yards, passing yards (and unlike the Colts who are also near the bottom in passing, the Patriots are also bad at running the ball), points scored, points/drive, yards/drive, turnovers, yards/play, scoring percentage. They're bad on third down (27th), bad on 4th down (30th), they actually have the 4th highest red zone scoring percentage, but they're 2nd worst at getting to the red zone in the first place. They're even a bad FG kicking team (31st, 71.4%). They've only scored 20 points twice this season.

And I fear that playing the Colts' defense is exactly what the Patriots' offense needs right now. We're one of the worst teams  at pressuring the QB (25th), we allow QBs to complete 64% of their passes, teams convert 37.9% on third down, score TDs 63% of the time they reach the red zone, and score on 39.1% of their possessions (all these numbers are bad). We give up 26.9 points/game. Basically, if you have a QB who crumbles under pressure like Mac Jones, you want to play a defense like the Colts.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

The Patriots' offense is one of the worst in the league, across many metrics. Yards, passing yards (and unlike the Colts who are also near the bottom in passing, the Patriots are also bad at running the ball), points scored, points/drive, yards/drive, turnovers, yards/play, scoring percentage. They're bad on third down (27th), bad on 4th down (30th), they actually have the 4th highest red zone scoring percentage, but they're 2nd worst at getting to the red zone in the first place. They're even a bad FG kicking team (31st, 71.4%). They've only scored 20 points twice this season.

And I fear that playing the Colts' defense is exactly what the Patriots' offense needs right now. We're one of the worst teams  at pressuring the QB (25th), we allow QBs to complete 64% of their passes, teams convert 37.9% on third down, score TDs 63% of the time they reach the red zone, and score on 39.1% of their possessions (all these numbers are bad). We give up 26.9 points/game. Basically, if you have a QB who crumbles under pressure like Mac Jones, you want to play a defense like the Colts.

Looks like it’s up to #99 to get home, and  for #23 to finish. 

Jones is moving much slower this season than before, gotta get to him and knock him down. 

Teams seem to be having success running on us as of late. Panthers did pretty well in that department, so I expect to see Stevenson often. 

3 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Looks like it’s up to #99 to get home, and  for #23 to finish. 

Jones is moving much slower this season than before, gotta get to him and knock him down. 

Teams seem to be having success running on us as of late. Panthers did pretty well in that department, so I expect to see Stevenson often. 

Yup. We haven't been tackling well all season, and it doesn't help not having Grover out there. I don't think Stevenson is anything special, but neither is Kyren Williams, and we let him run for 103 yards and 2 TDs. 

As for getting to Jones, I'm not holding my breath. We don't get enough pressure from our front four, and we blitz at a lower rate than any other team in the NFL. The Jets are the second lowest, but they get pressure on a league-best 30.5% of plays, while we're at 19.5%. They have the front four to be that stubborn, we don't. 

I'm curious about how Minshew plays this week. Surprisingly, he's never faced the Patriots before now; I don't know if that's a positive or a negative. And the Pats defense is above average against the run, so I don't know if we can just force it down their throats, although that would be nice to see.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Superman said:

Yup. We haven't been tackling well all season, and it doesn't help not having Grover out there. I don't think Stevenson is anything special, but neither is Kyren Williams, and we let him run for 103 yards and 2 TDs. 

As for getting to Jones, I'm not holding my breath. We don't get enough pressure from our front four, and we blitz at a lower rate than any other team in the NFL. The Jets are the second lowest, but they get pressure on a league-best 30.5% of plays, while we're at 19.5%. They have the front four to be that stubborn, we don't. 

I'm curious about how Minshew plays this week. Surprisingly, he's never faced the Patriots before now; I don't know if that's a positive or a negative. And the Pats defense is above average against the run, so I don't know if we can just force it down their throats, although that would be nice to see.

I’d say if we limit our turnovers, play mistake free and manage to hit on a couple of runs between Taylor and Moss we *should* win. 

But if we try to get too cute on both sides of the ball we could be in for a rough one. 

Defense has to do something though. Jones isn’t going to make the same mistakes Young did…

39 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

I’d say if we limit our turnovers, play mistake free and manage to hit on a couple of runs between Taylor and Moss we *should* win. 

But if we try to get too cute on both sides of the ball we could be in for a rough one. 

Defense has to do something though. Jones isn’t going to make the same mistakes Young did…

I think we can win this game, and probably should. I just don't like our defense. (Last time I called out a matchup like this was when I thought the Browns' defense would shut us down. I was obviously wrong. We'll see how it goes this week.)

I also think Jones is prone to dumb mistakes just like Young, but it starts with pressure, and we don't pressure the QB consistently.

• Like 1

So excited for the game. Thanks to @coltsleafs I have a ticket for the game. We are traveling to Frankfurt tomorrow morning (well, the "travel" is abou 1 hour and 20 minute)

Hope the weather isn't too bad tomorrow, as there's a lot going on throughout the city regarding the NFL. 

A friend tried to get in the colts home pub in Frankfurt, but it was already too crowded. Edge was there to sign autographs...... 

Oh, and Jim btw, toohaha

• Like 3

so whos waking up at 9am to watch?

Just now, ColtsGermany said:

So excited for the game. Thanks to @coltsleafs I have a ticket for the game. We are traveling to Frankfurt tomorrow morning (well, the "travel" is abou 1 hour and 20 minute)

Hope the weather isn't too bad tomorrow, as there's a lot going on throughout the city regarding the NFL. 

A friend tried to get in the colts home pub in Frankfurt, but it was already too crowded. Edge was there to sign autographs...... 

Oh, and Jim btw, toohaha

leave with plenty of time