Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts vs Panthers post game reaction

GoColts8818

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I am still having a hard time getting the Browns game out of my head where we even put up 38 points. Getting cheated like that still stings me and makes me nauseous. We should be 5-4.

Yep, and after winning today, that screw job by the refs hurts even more. If we were 5-4, we'd have a chance to win the division, now it's an uphill climb.

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

"would never win under Ballard", umm when he had great QB play in 2018 with Luck and in 2020 with Rivers we were SB contenders. NEVER is a strong word.

I'll probably regret sticking my foot into this hornets nest, but here it goes 😂....The "Luck retired" excuse is long gone, done and over with.  That's not an excuse anymore.  I also disagreed with the Leonard and Nelson signings.  Did I want them signed? Sure I did, but not for the insane and asinine amount of money that Ballard gave them.  This isn't the 80s, 90s, or even early 2000s.  The best teams in today's NFL are not paying an LB and a guard top dollar.  They shouldn't be anywhere close to the highest paid players on the team.  If you want to win today, you have your high paid guys have to be QBs, WRs, DEs, and CBs.  The guys at high impact positions. Those positions are the most valuable.  When your highest paid player on defense is an LB, no matter how good he was, it leaves less money to pay positions that are much more valuable in today's NFL.  It makes no sense.  Leonard and Nelson may have been beasts and been 1st team All Pros, but there are other positions which have a much bigger impact on getting wins. 

On a related note, Ballard is the guy in favor or trying to build a Legion of Boom 2.0, which is why we have to deal with Bradley and players that fit into that scheme.  Bradley's scheme is antiquated, and the Legion of Boom fantasy is a fool's dream in today's NFL.  Even in the last 10 years, the game has changed offensively and defensively so much.  

As far as the win today, I'm enjoying the win.  I'm not the optimist that you are, but a win is always fun, especially since we already matched our win total from last year.  That being said, I can understand someone's frustration with Ballard and how he has built this team.  Some people like Moose are "glass half empty" people.  It doesn't make him a troll IMHO.  It's just the way he thinks.  Anyway, like I said, I may regret sticking my foot into this hornets nest.  We'll see.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If we are getting to the point we feel the need to be so critical that we can’t enjoy wins then yeah I question why some are here.  If you are a fan of team you should be happy when they win.  It doesn’t mean you have to go oh my gosh this was the greatest game ever played Super Bowl here we come!  At the same time no one is doing that.  Several posters have acknowledged today’s game was far from perfect and documented what the team didn’t do well and that you can’t count on Kenny Moore to have two pick sixes every game.  However, despite that most are happy the team got a win, as they should their favorite team won a game even if it wasn’t pretty.  

This is a rhetorical question but If all you are here to do is be critical and nit pick things to the point you find no joy in anything the Colts do then why are you here?  That’s not what fans do.  Fans pulls for their team and are happy when something good happens for them even if it’s not perfect or exactly what they want.  

Again, not saying you have to love everything that happens or that you can’t talk about negatives.  We have lots of good posters that aren’t afraid to say when things don’t go well.  I am just talking about when people have nothing good to say ever.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, kymd82222 said:

I'll probably regret sticking my foot into this hornets nest, but here it goes 😂....The "Luck retired" excuse is long gone, done and over with.  That's not an excuse anymore.  I also disagreed with the Leonard and Nelson signings.  Did I want them signed? Sure I did, but not for the insane and asinine amount of money that Ballard gave them.  This isn't the 80s, 90s, or even early 2000s.  The best teams in today's NFL are not paying an LB and a guard top dollar.  They shouldn't be anywhere close to the highest paid players on the team.  If you want to win today, you have your high paid guys have to be QBs, WRs, DEs, and CBs.  The guys at high impact positions. Those positions are the most valuable.  When your highest paid player on defense is an LB, no matter how good he was, it leaves less money to pay positions that are much more valuable in today's NFL.  It makes no sense.  Leonard and Nelson may have been beasts and been 1st team All Pros, but there are other positions which have a much bigger impact on getting wins. 

On a related note, Ballard is the guy in favor or trying to build a Legion of Boom 2.0, which is why we have to deal with Bradley and players that fit into that scheme.  Bradley's scheme is antiquated, and the Legion of Boom fantasy is a fool's dream in today's NFL.  Even in the last 10 years, the game has changed offensively and defensively so much.  

As far as the win today, I'm enjoying the win.  I'm not the optimist that you are, but a win is always fun, especially since we already matched our win total from last year.  That being said, I can understand someone's frustration with Ballard and how he has built this team.  Some people like Moose are "glass half empty" people.  It doesn't make him a troll IMHO.  It's just the way he thinks.  Anyway, like I said, I may regret sticking my foot into this hornets nest.  We'll see.  

I just say let the season play out, if we get to 5-5 then who knows? Here is Homer vs the Hornets nest homer simpson GIF

4 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Won the game and everyone is fighting. Some just can’t let their egos go. 

It’s all about being right in here. That’s all that matters apparently…

Reinforces what I’ve said for years some would rather be right than see anything good happen to the Colts.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

If we are getting to the point we feel the need to be so critical that we can’t enjoy wins then yeah I question why some are here.  If you are a fan of team you should be happy when they win.  It doesn’t mean you have to go oh my gosh this was the greatest game ever played Super Bowl here we come!  At the same time no one is doing that.  Several posters have acknowledged today’s game was far from perfect and documented what the team didn’t do well and that you can’t count on Kenny Moore to have two pick sixes every game.  However, despite that most are happy the team got a win, as they should their favorite team won a game even if it wasn’t pretty.  This is a rhetorical question but If all you are here to do is be critical and nit pick things to the point you find no joy in anything the Colts do then why are you here?  That’s not what fans do.  Fans pulls for their team and are happy when something good happens for them even if it’s not perfect or exactly what they want.  

I understand that sentiment.  I actually agree with a lot of what Moose posts and think it's unfair to call him, Doug and others trolls.  At the same time I understand what you're saying about complaining even when we win.  This season has been much more enjoyable than last season.  And an ugly win is still a win.  Last year I feel like we would have found a way to lose it somehow.  I think we have a legit chance to win 8 or 9 games, which is 2-3 more than I thought we'd win before the season started.  

7 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

If we are getting to the point we feel the need to be so critical that we can’t enjoy wins then yeah I question why some are here.  If you are a fan of team you should be happy when they win.  It doesn’t mean you have to go oh my gosh this was the greatest game ever played Super Bowl here we come!  At the same time no one is doing that.  Several posters have acknowledged today’s game was far from perfect and documented what the team didn’t do well and that you can’t count on Kenny Moore to have two pick sixes every game.  However, despite that most are happy the team got a win, as they should their favorite team won a game even if it wasn’t pretty.  This is a rhetorical question but If all you are here to do is be critical and nit pick things to the point you find no joy in anything the Colts do then why are you here?  That’s not what fans do.  Fans pulls for their team and are happy when something good happens for them even if it’s not perfect or exactly what they want.  

Generally, people today analyze things more than ever before, especially in the age of social media and information. If I didn't have access to everything I did, I probably wouldn't be so critical of the team. However, I know more than I used too. Fans today know more than they used too. They expect to win and if they don't, they can usually figure out why. There's a lot bigger consensus on tanking as well. Fans know you can get a franchise QB or player in the draft. There's also more info on the draft for the general public than there's ever been. 

A lot of times, it seems like coaches are making mistakes that a fan would know, so there's a lot of bashing towards the team. With PFF and All-22 and other stuff, the fans have a template to break things down in a way that is close to what NFL coaches do. It's not the good old days anymore where fans just root for the win. Things are much deeper and more complicated now.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Reinforces what I’ve said for years some would rather be right than see anything good happen to the Colts.

My reaction to the game goes deeper than being happy we won.  Its about being happy or not over the reasons.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

To your overall post,

I have asked the same questions probably at least 10 times in here and never get an answer. 

To your 1st couple of sentences, I agree 100%.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

"would never win under Ballard", umm when he had great QB play in 2018 with Luck and in 2020 with Rivers we were SB contenders. NEVER is a strong word.

Remember, Ballard said its not bout one player but his most successful seasons were because of the qb.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

To your overall post,

I have asked the same questions probably at least 10 times in here and never get an answer. 

To your 1st couple of sentences, I agree 100%.

Yeah that’s why I said rhetorical question because well frankly I don’t need to know the answer.  I just know if I found no joy in something I wouldn’t waste time posting on a message board about it.  I’d find something to do that I enjoyed but that might just be me.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, kymd82222 said:

It amuses me when some people are sooo concerned about what certain players are paid, when it’s not coming out of their wallet.  Colts have not been prevented from acquiring players at more impact positions because of what they pay in the trenches.  Fact.  In other words, “Don’t worry about the money, Greg.”  

Just now, GoColts8818 said:

Yeah that’s why I said rhetorical question because well frankly I don’t need to know the answer.  I just know if I found no joy in something I wouldn’t waste time posting on a message board about it.  I’d find something to do that I enjoyed but that might just be me.

I agree. I wouldn't even be in here if I didn't enjoy wins or care if the team won or lost. Makes no sense to me, but oh well.

14 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

If we are getting to the point we feel the need to be so critical that we can’t enjoy wins then yeah I question why some are here.  If you are a fan of team you should be happy when they win.  It doesn’t mean you have to go oh my gosh this was the greatest game ever played Super Bowl here we come!  At the same time no one is doing that.  Several posters have acknowledged today’s game was far from perfect and documented what the team didn’t do well and that you can’t count on Kenny Moore to have two pick sixes every game.  However, despite that most are happy the team got a win, as they should their favorite team won a game even if it wasn’t pretty.  

This is a rhetorical question but If all you are here to do is be critical and nit pick things to the point you find no joy in anything the Colts do then why are you here?  That’s not what fans do.  Fans pulls for their team and are happy when something good happens for them even if it’s not perfect or exactly what they want.  

Again, not saying you have to love everything that happens or that you can’t talk about negatives.  We have lots of good posters that aren’t afraid to say when things don’t go well.  I am just talking about when people have nothing good to say ever.

Personally, I enjoy picking things apart.  It’s fun and tells me a lot more than simply being happy for a win. If the picking lands on the negative then I hope the facts change one day so that the facts hold up to scrutiny.    Different ways to approach happiness I guess   Tolerance is good

Just now, rockywoj said:

It amuses me when some people are sooo concerned about what certain players are paid, when it’s not coming out of their wallet.  Colts have not been prevented from acquiring players at more impact positions because of what they pay in the trenches.  Fact.  In other words, “Don’t worry about the money, Greg.”  

Football has a salary cap. It's not basketball or baseball where you can go over the luxury tax but spend as much as you want as long as you are willing to pay the penalties. when we pay a player a one or more positions, it prevents us from paying players at other positions. It wouldn't matter as much if we were paying players at premium positions, but we aren't, so that's where a lot of the backlash comes from.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, rockywoj said:

Yeah I’ve never gotten that either.  You aren’t writing the check so why do you care what guys get paid if it’s market value which Ballard’s contracts have been (in other words if he hadn’t paid that much for a guy someone else would have.).  I get the salary cap concerns but at the same time we don’t have to manage the cap, Ballard does, and there are several tricks to doing it that all teams use.   Ballard has frankly done a good job maintaining cap flexibility while paying players since he’s been here.  One of the last things I worry about with Ballard is his ability to handle the salary cap.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I didn’t watch the game. Listened to bits of Matt Taylor’s commentary throughout. Seemed like a boring game other than the pick sixes. No regrets opting not to really watch or listen to much of this one. I think I’ll do the same next week. I’m starting to really lose enjoyment of what the NFL likes to call sports. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, rockywoj said:

Hard disagree.  As fans, we support player salaries through tickets we buy, merchandise, tv, etc.  So we should have a say even though we don't have Irsay's wallet.  Also, this isn't baseball.  There's a salary cap.  There is only so much money to go around.  When you pay certain players 20 million or close to it, that does leave less money to sign other players. 

3 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Football has a salary cap. It's not basketball or baseball where you can go over the luxury tax but spend as much as you want as long as you are willing to pay the penalties. when we pay a player a one or more positions, it prevents us from paying players at other positions. It wouldn't matter as much if we were paying players at premium positions, but we aren't, so that's where a lot of the backlash comes from.

Exactly. I thought this was common sense.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Indianapolis-Colts-Fan said:

I didn’t watch the game. Listened to bits of Matt Taylor’s commentary throughout. Seemed like a boring game other than the pick sixes. No regrets opting not to really watch or listen to much of this one. I think I’ll do the same next week. I’m starting to really lose enjoyment of what the NFL likes to call sports. 

It played like two teams with losing records and backup players were playing.  Pretty incompetent football by both offenses.  

Each offense scored 13 points against defenses ranked about 29th and 32nd in certain stats.  So it seems your assessment is supported 

6 minutes ago, rockywoj said:

It’s been my experience that few things here make our community go crazy as to what players are getting paid.   People here go nuts.   

People here become extremely anti-player, extremely pro-management, as if it impacts them directly.   And it happens most years.  

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Indianapolis-Colts-Fan said:

It was a rough game overall, but to me, supporting the team through the bad times makes the good times even sweeter.  Plus, this year hasn't even been awful, especially compared to last year.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, kymd82222 said:

Hard disagree.  As fans, we support player salaries through tickets we buy, merchandise, tv, etc.  So we should have a say even though we don't have Irsay's wallet.  Also, this isn't baseball.  There's a salary cap.  There is only so much money to go around.  When you pay certain players 20 million or close to it, that does leave less money to sign other players. 

That’s all a drop in the bucket to the NFL revenue.  That’s coming from the TV networks paying for broadcast rights.  Do they pay it because fans watch?  Yes they do, but at the same time fans aren’t negotiating those deals.  So I am not giving the fans credit for that.  Again, during the 2020 season when most teams didn’t have fans at games the NFL still turned a profit.  

As for the salary cap fans don’t have to manage it.  Ballard does, and frankly he’s been very good at it.  Fans like to think they have more influence and control than they really do.  Fans act like they are really paying for these players.  You aren’t the team is.  You lose control over the money once you give it to the whoever you buy something from.  From there you have no say over how they elect to use that money because it’s no longer yours.  Yes you can boycott a company if you don’t like how they spend money but unless a lot of people agree with you and also boycott it’s not going to matter and it’s still ultimately their decision to give into those demands or not.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Respectfully, I disagree.  Yes there’s a salary cap, but can you name even one player the Colts wanted to sign, but could not because of Salary cap constraints?  I am not aware of any player the Colts have wanted keep or wanted to acquire, whom they could not because of salary cap constraints.  To me, all this salary cap concern falls under don’t sweat the small stuff and don’t sweat what you can’t control.  

• Like 3

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Then again if you don't think he doesn't have the common sense to know it takes a good QB to win then you are naive. 

Of course u do. U need a damn good qb to win these days. He had it twice in his 7 years. He is the GM and it was his job to fill in the blanks with regards to getting another one when he lost Luck and Rivers. Everyone blames Reich for talking Ballard into getting Wentz and maybe not getting one in the draft. From all we know it may have happened but we will probably know. At the end of the day, however, Ballard is responsible for running the show. Decisions he has made up to this point have led us to where we are today. If he lead others sway him in making decisions,  it doesn't matter in the end. He was picked by Irsay because he believed he had what it takes to make personnel decisions  and  evaluate talent.  First he wanted to McDaniels and then he hired Frank. Then the hiring of Flus and Bradley have not worked out. Look it up. I so wanted Schwartz but oh no not on Ballard's watch. There have numerous misteps almost to many to note. I have worked with numerous  bosses and they cannot go to their manager when it goes off the rails and say "well, I listened to my workers when I shouldn't have".  How do u think that type of deflecting works with a manager? It starts and stops with Ballard. He is the constructor of this team.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, rockywoj said:

Respectfully, I disagree.  Yes there’s a salary cap, but can you name even one player the Colts wanted to sign, but could not because of Salary cap constraints?  I am not aware of any player the Colts have wanted keep or waned to acquire, whom they could not because of salary cap constraints.  To me, all this salary cap concern falls under don’t sweat the small stuff and don’t sweat what you can’t control.  

Denico Autry or Justin Houston? Maybe Mark Glowinski? Generally we've built through the draft, and we're just now getting to that point where it's going to be tough to pay our players. We'll see if it affects us now that our players are starting to get paid.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Mighty Blue said:

I couldn’t see the game but followed it on the app.:rock:

I asked for a victory for my birthday and “ Wa La”…Happy birthday to me, Happy birthday to me!:banana:

:cheer2:

Happy Birthday. Hope you had a great day today watching the Colts win! Kenny Moore did you a service today! :thmup:

4 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

It’s been my experience that few things here make our community go crazy as to what players are getting paid.   People here go nuts.   

People here become extremely anti-player, extremely pro-management, as if it impacts them directly.   And it happens most years.  

Yup.

I’m like, I don’t give a crap what our good players are re-signed for.  If they’re good, then pay them accordingly per market rates.  As long as the team is not missing out in ability to sign players due to salary cap constraints, then to me to lose sleep over such things, it’s just, ummm, let’s say, unproductive stress.

• Like 2