Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Chappell reports sprained AC joint for Richardson (MERGE)

GoColts8818

Just now, DougDew said:

Yes. learning from the bench is not the way to learn.  He gets the mental part of the game pretty well by all accounts.  He needs game interaction and speed to help his situational and improv decision making and throwing.

Damn we agree again, is hell is freezing over chuckling homer simpson GIF.

I think Mustache could possibly bring us the same amount wins this year as AR starting every game, AR is just a rookie and is just learning a lot. As it stands, we still could win 9 or so if we stay healthy in all the other key areas. Our schedule is pretty weak. Point is though, AR starting as a rookie was necessary because of getting in game Reps and play. That would make him better going into a year 2 and smarter on how to play the game vs Pro's. The 4 games he has played have been very valuable in many ways already.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Yes. learning from the bench is not the way to learn.  He gets the mental part of the game pretty well by all accounts.  He needs game interaction and speed to help his situational and improv decision making and throwing.

If the break is not too long, then it is OK. Josh Allen sat out 4 games in his rookie year due to injury and he said that helped him re-watch the role of QB from a different lens during those 4 games, after having his "baby in the bath water" start of a first few games. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, chad72 said:

If the break is not too long, then it is OK. Josh Allen sat out 4 games in his rookie year due to injury and he said that helped him re-watch the role of QB from a different lens during those 4 games, after having his "baby in the bath water" start of a first few games. 

I think a prolonged absence from playing this year hurts him.  8 weeks is beginning to cross that line, IMO.

I would ideally want him to redshirt and be part of an NFL strength training program for a year before he exposes his body again, but I think he needs to play when he gets back.  4th overall picks need to play or else the contract situation gets foobarred, IMO.

12 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I think Mustache could possibly bring us the same amount wins this year as AR starting every game, AR is just a rookie and is just learning a lot. As it stands, we still could win 9 or so if we stay healthy in all the other key areas. Our schedule is pretty weak. Point is though, AR starting as a rookie was necessary because of getting in game Reps and play. That would make him better going into a year 2 and smarter on how to play the game vs Pro's. The 4 games he has played have been very valuable in many ways already

The difference between you and me on this is that I don't care how many games we win this year.  Its all about the development of the franchise QB that we might have for 12 years.  But winning is always more fun on Sunday's than losing.

Let me ask you this, would you rather have AR play and develop but maybe we have a 7-10 season, or would you rather have a 10-7 season and Division title with Minshew playing and AR out for the year?

(The option of a 10-7 season with AR is something I'm not asking)

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, DougDew said:

The difference between you and me on this is that I don't care how many games we win this year.  Its all about the development of the franchise QB that we might have for 12 years.  But winning is always more fun on Sunday's than losing.

Let me ask you this, would you rather have AR play and develop but maybe we have a 7-10 season, or would you rather have a 10-7 season and Division title with Minshew playing and AR out for the year?

I would rather go 7-10 and have AR play all year being healthy. Having said that we are dealt a different hand now, so might as well root for wins regardless. AR will still be our starter next year no matter what happens anyway, unless Mustache takes us to the SB and I don't see that happening. I get what you are saying though as I stated in my 1st sentence.

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I would rather go 7-10 and have AR play all year being healthy. Having said that we are dealt a different hand now, so might as well root for wins regardless. AR will still be our starter next year no matter what happens anyway, unless Mustache takes us to the SB and I don't see that happening. I get what you are saying though as I stated in my 1st sentence.

I don't mind rooting for wins, but its kind of a false season if we do well.  A big asterisk because it was achieved with the backup.  Just not the same feeling for me.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Superman said:

People use the word "tank" in a lot of different ways, and it bugs me. If a team decides to play a younger player over a more known quantity veteran, people start accusing them of tanking.

For me, this was a 'let's see what we have' season for the Colts. Still is, IMO. We needed to know if the OL is as bad as it looked last year, and if our new coaching staff can get some improvements out of them. We need to know if any of the young guys in the secondary can play (Flowers was playing well, Brents looks promising), and whether some of the third/fourth year guys will step up (Blackmon in particular). Most importantly, do we have a HC/QB combo that we can win with.

I think this kind of evaluation is a very important part of team building. I don't think it's tanking. And I agree with you, there's no way you evaluate your team after a month and say 'it's looking promising, now let's shut it down so we can get a better draft spot.' 

Thanks for the thoughtful post.  Appreciate the perspective.   If I may, I’d like to offer a few words in my defense.   

First, I did call it a semi-tank, and I’m not trying to be cute or clever with my words.  From January thru the draft, I predicted the Colts for 6 wins this year.   Plenty of other posters predicted 3-5 wins.   Then, by May I publicly upped my prediction to a 7 win season and said so throughout the rest of the off-season and pre-season.   

Honestly, my use of the term semi-tank triggered a lot of people here,  but it wasn’t meant as a pejorative, because I supported this approach, I agreed with it and thought it was smart.   Your use of the term “let’s see what we have season” is fine.  No objection.  But either way, I thought the Colts not making moves that many of the fan base here were calling for supported my view that the team was willing to play the kids to get them experience and the franchise would take their lumps this season with what looked like a sub-500 season and a likely top-5/10 pick next year.    

But now?   All bets are off.  This team may exceed my wildest expectations,  anything is possible.   

I know I started this post promising a few words.   Sorry, figure of speech.  Much to say.   Bottom line:  I’m not sure I see much distance between my view and your view.  Perhaps you’ll disagree?   I’ll be here if you want to continue.  

26 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I know you didn’t ask me, but you floated a very good question.   

I vote for a 7-10 season and giving AR all the experience he can handle.   And I’ve stated this the entire off season.   I’ve repeatedly said making sure AR is ready to be the Colts starting quarterback next year is Job One for 2023. 

Id rather go 7-10 and prepare AR for next year than go 10-7 and make the playoffs but AR is not ready to start next season.  

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I think a prolonged absence from playing this year hurts him.  8 weeks is beginning to cross that line, IMO.

I would ideally want him to redshirt and be part of an NFL strength training program for a year before he exposes his body again, but I think he needs to play when he gets back.  4th overall picks need to play or else the contract situation gets foobarred, IMO.

To be honest he was farther along then any expected. It’s not as bad for his development as we might of thought before the season started.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I know you didn’t ask me, but you floated a very good question.   

I vote for a 7-10 season and giving AR all the experience he can handle.   And I’ve stated this the entire off season.   I’ve repeatedly said making sure AR is ready to be the Colts starting quarterback next year is Job One for 2023. 

Id rather go 7-10 and prepare AR for next year than go 10-7 and make the playoffs but AR is not ready to start next season.  

This notion has been going around a lot. We were going to win with AR and develop him at the same time. It wasn’t either or.

53 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Silliness. He needs hundreds and hundreds of hours of film study to improve his ability to read defenses, and his throwing mechanics and timing will only improve with top notch coaching and Practice. 

AR can be much better next season even if he doesn’t play another down this season.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Wonder what Irsay is thinking right now. For Ballards sake I hope we win some games.

Probably that injuries suck.  Irsay is smart and despite what some think practical and doesn’t make rash decisions.  I think he’s smart enough to know the following:  there is nothing Ballard could have done different to prevent the injuries to Richardson.  They are normal NFL tackles.  It’s also not like he was getting pounded behind a bad oline like Luck was.  It was also Ballard who got the best backup in the league (with Shane’s help) just in case something like this happened.  So the later will probably help Ballard with Irsay.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

"short term and return this season without surgery" That is straight from one of the best doctors in the world based out of LA. Chao has 33 years' experience dealing with this type of injury. I will believe him over anything else I read. 

I agree he’s an expert and clearly I hope he’s right but let’s also remember he hasn’t examined Richardson either.  Still I agree I’ll put more stock in him over other people who just happened to have gotten their shoulder medical degrees since Sunday lol.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

"short term and return this season without surgery" That is straight from one of the best doctors in the world based out of CA. Chao has 33 years' experience dealing with this type of injury. I will believe him over anything else I read. 

It’s amazing how accurate he is just by seeing a video of a injury. Really good doctor. 

Thd good news here is I think it might be more on the shorter end. Remember the time frame colts said when wentz broke his foot in TC. They had this big recovery time so they wouldn’t get stuck if they were wrong. It was a quick recovery for both him and Nelson. So we will see. 

1 hour ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

No it wasn’t. Do some of you forget we had the lead in games AR left. We were still going to win.

I was saying that from this point out, if we win the Division with Minshew at QB it would be kind of like kissing your sister...or brother in your case.   

1 hour ago, throwing BBZ said:

Silliness. He needs hundreds and hundreds of hours of film study to improve his ability to read defenses, and his throwing mechanics and timing will only improve with top notch coaching and Practice. 

AR can be much better next season even if he doesn’t play another down this season.

But he would get better faster if he played.  That was my point.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

"short term and return this season without surgery" That is straight from one of the best doctors in the world based out of CA. Chao has 33 years' experience dealing with this type of injury. I will believe him over anything else I read. 

I would also like him to get Dr. James Andrews' second/third opinion if he could. He was the guy who did Drew Brees' torn labrum shoulder surgery and lots of folks go to him for shoulder related counsel.

1 hour ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

To be honest he was farther along then any expected. It’s not as bad for his development as we might of thought before the season started.

Agreed 100 percent.   Richardson is much further along in the process than most of us have expected.  Much further.  

Talk about a welcome surprise?!   Wowza!!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I was saying that from this point out, if we win the Division with Minshew at QB it would be kind of like kissing your sister...or brother in your case.   

Did you… take that phrase from the Colts Reddit page? Thats exactly what they’re talking about over there…

Nice to see him still out with his teammates. Observing, analyzing, and being engaged. I think he’ll still learn a lot on the sidelines (safer QB play) and implement his learnings in the game setting come November.

Could be a blessing in disguise. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, chad72 said:

I would also like him to get Dr. James Andrews' second/third opinion if he could. He was the guy who did Drew Brees' torn labrum shoulder surgery and lots of folks go to him for shoulder related counsel.

I was under the impression he was getting 3 opinions. Don't know who the three are.