Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jonathan Taylor comments on his contract/Request trade (Merge)

GoColts8818

1 minute ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Ir could. Because  the run game won’t be as effective without Taylor. 

A: we don’t know what the run game will be with Taylor, who isn’t even healthy

B: AR if he’s ready, will start whenever coach is ready for him too. That will not be dependent on any other player’s availability. 

5 minutes ago, csmopar said:

A: we don’t know what the run game will be with Taylor, who isn’t even healthy

B: AR if he’s ready, will start whenever coach is ready for him too. That will not be dependent on any other player’s availability. 

When you have a athletic QB like Richardson with a home run hitter like Taylor it makes the entire offense better. The WR will be more open too. Bur your  right maybe his ankle isn’t completely healed. I don’t think it will stop them from starting him but I do think it’s something they will discuss.

Just now, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Hopefully this situation is not as bad as it seems and can be repaired. The Lamar Jackson thing got pretty nasty and they got it figured out.

Honestly, I have a feeling going off past history of both Irsay and Ballard, they’ve likely, and quietly, allowed JTs agent to talk to interested teams to gauge what if any interest there is. Ballard is notorious for keeping such negotiations quiet. This doesn’t mean he’s actually gonna trade him, but it will give him an idea of what teams think JTs value is, which I guarantee you is less than the reported 20 million average he wants. I imagine as time goes on, JT will come down to earth and realize his market just isn’t there

• Like 6

Just now, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

When you have a athletic QB like Richardson with a home run hitter like Taylor it makes the entire offense better. The WR will be more open too. Bur your  right maybe his ankle isn’t completely healed. I don’t think it will stop them from starting him but I do think it’s something they will discuss.

Yeah of course.  But like I said, it’s bad strategy to base what player starts at a different position in relation to a player who may or may not even be on the roster. 

besides, it’s possible too one of our other RBs takes off and JT becomes an after thought. Just never know

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

i just think people are forgetting that he is coming off an average year and an injury to boot. You can blame the Oline if you wish, and yes they deserve some of the blame. Name    me a player who is coming off a sub par year and injury and is rewarded with an extension? 

i wouldnt call it a subpar year he had almost 900 yards rushing in 11 games .  give him 6 more and apply his average per game of around 85 and he would be on pace for 1500 yards .   he just got injured even a lot of games he played he was battling injury and not fully healthy . 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, csmopar said:

Honestly, I have a feeling going off past history of both Irsay and Ballard, they’ve likely, and quietly, allowed JTs agent to talk to interested teams to gauge what if any interest there is. Ballard is notorious for keeping such negotiations quiet. This doesn’t mean he’s actually gonna trade him, but it will give him an idea of what teams think JTs value is, which I guarantee you is less than the reported 20 million average he wants. I imagine as time goes on, JT will come down to earth and realize his market just isn’t there

Yeah I was thinking this too. And if it’s reasonable they might just decide to match the offer he gets from another team. It’s a good way for Taylor and his agent to see what his value it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, coming on strong said:

i wouldnt call it a subpar year he had almost 900 yards rushing in 11 games .  give him 6 more and apply his average per game of around 85 and he would be on pace for 1500 yards .   he just got injured even a lot of games he played he was battling injury and not fully healthy . 

His fumbles increased and his pass locking was horrid. 

16 hours ago, AKB said:

hey i just wanted to let you guys know that i love this forum and all the different people that are always on here. I live in ohio currently and i almost never get the chance to talk colts football. Just wanted to say thanks to yall real quick in this thread

Nice to read a positive post. :) I agree with you.

• Like 5

This is just getting petty…..if this article is to be trusted about him, then he’s being a &@$%# about this…..

I don’t care if they asked him to play thru the injury - everyone does that, even guys on my slowpitch softball team - they asked you to come in early for a physical evaluation…….who tf cares!???

Unless you’re hiding something…..like an injured back……hmmmm

https://coltswire.usatoday.com/2023/08/03/colts-jonathan-taylor-news-trade-steadfast-desire-play-elsewhere/

Star running backs are nice, but not necessarily needed anymore as running back by committee seems to work better in the long run anymore.

• Like 3

The agent is the problem. He reminds me a bit of an agent in baseball who represented some of the top players. He would try to break the bank with every contract signed. It got to the point where a team refused to give his player what the agent thought he was worth. The player fired the agent because the player lost out.

This agent may be good at what he does but not for Taylor. His efforts will not result in a positive outcome for Taylor. JMO

• Like 6

13 hours ago, Colt.45 said:

JT is an extremely thoughtful, smart man. He didn't fire his old agents for nothing. This agent is a hoodlum but that's the exact tool JT chose to further his goals. From the Colts fan perspective, its understandable why that'd seem unlikely but everything folks say is correct. JT was one of the leading backs and voices in the Zoom backs gathering, to him this is nothing personal, it's 100% business.

I'm not a fan of this agent. It may not be his intention, but he is not advising JT in a manner that is in his best interests.

I support the players. They make their living with their bodies, and bodies get injured, weaken, etc. and eventually the players cannot work in their chosen profession. However, an agent needs to "read the room" and make decisions based on what they are "reading". I don't think this agent did that.  He is using hardball tactics that I don't believe will work.  The agent has other clients; so, if JT loses out, the agent still has the opportunity to make money representing other players.

JT needs to do what is best for himself, not for the agent.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NFLfan said:

The agent is the problem. He reminds me a bit of an agent in baseball who represented some of the top players. He would try to break the bank with every contract signed. It got to the point where a team refused to give his player what the agent thought he was worth. The player fired the agent because the player lost out.

This agent may be good at what he does but not for Taylor. His efforts will not result in a positive outcome for Taylor. JMO

agreed. i believe his agent is misleading him. if Taylor wanted a record breaking deal for a RB he should've balled out this season and then argued for it. 

his agent is misleading him like crazy

Just now, legend300 said:

Thanks for posting it, was was having an issue with my phone.  Figured someone would post it eventually.  

if those tweets are true, that is disgusting on part of the organization

Reich's job was on the line ... encouraged Taylor to play through?

• Like 2

18 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I’m just trying to offer more context for JT’s viewpoint.   

He asked for a raise and didnt get it.  Now he has to go back to work or quit like literally anyone else would have to do.

Hes making himself look bad by going to war with the team now, its not going to get him paid.  Jim said stuff he shouldnt have too but hes the one with the leverage.

He can be mad but going this public with it isnt working or helping anyone.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, AKB said:

Or was it Saturday?

Or the Front Office?

It all seems to make sense now. JT played with some kind of injury last season, that he would've liked to have healed but he took one for the team.

Last year, tensions were high after Irsay wasn't happy with how Ryan experiment started the season, and Reich was on hot seat. After he got fired, we're not sure if Ballard had any say on the proceedings as Irsay and Saturday seemed to have more say, and these two wouldn't have known the severity of what JT was going through regarding his health and recovery.

JT might have expected him to be treated in a way that befits the sacrifice he might've made last year. But, new coaching staff would go with their plan on how they're going to approach the run game in their scheme, which might not meet the expectations JT would've had as for an elite RB. Moreover, his current health and how it might affect this season and beyond would've dictated that he may not be in the long term plans of the team.

So, as he realized all that through this off-season, JT seems to want him traded elsewhere. Otherwise, no smart RB would ask for 16+ million contract in this current environment in the RB market.

What JT seems to have not understood, imo, is no other team probably would treat him any better than the Colts especially at this point of the off-season and he's going to look like a disgruntled player in his own team.

He could've just played out this year and wanted to be played elsewhere and he would've handled the situation professionally alright.

Now, he seems to be between rock and hard place. 

18 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

This is really starting to look like Taylor’s ankle wasn’t healed therefore no contract. He was trying to get a contact before they knew his ankle was not healed.

Why would he have felt they were trying to pressure him to play? At this time of the year teams are usually pretty cautious about injuries so I can't see why they would have had pressuring him on their mind. Plus if he goes to a new team do you not think they wouldn't want to assess the ankle as well?  Taylors position is weird to me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, krunk said:

Why would he have felt they were trying to pressure him to play? At this time of the year teams are usually pretty cautious about injuries so I can't see why they would have had pressuring him on their mind. Plus if he goes to a new team do you not think they wouldn't want to assess the ankle as well?  Taylors position is weird to me.

He is talking about last season.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

He is talking about last season.

As far as I can tell this is about this year. The ankle injury yes is from last season.

"Much of Taylor’s bitterness originated from a request by the team for Taylor to return to Indianapolis in advance of training camp so its medical staff could assess him, multiple sources said,” writes Holder. “The team saw it as a reasonable request, sources said, after Taylor underwent an arthroscopic procedure on his right ankle Jan. 25. It was a minimally invasive procedure during which small incisions were made to remove debris. Taylor was expected to make a full recovery in a few weeks to a month.”

“But Taylor viewed the request warily, according to sources. He believed it was part of an effort to pressure him to return to the field for the start of camp, despite his stance that he needed more time to recover.”

That initial request wasn’t received fondly

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

This is really starting to look like Taylor’s ankle wasn’t healed therefore no contract. He was trying to get a contact before they knew his ankle was not healed.

No one in right mind would think that an NFL team would hand out big contract extension when there's still one more year left in current contract while not even fully assessing the health of the player, especially when he's recovering from an injury. 

How do you think that's possible? 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

So the real question is who was pressuring him to play injured last year? Ballard? Reich? Saturday? 

Can't imagine it was Saturday. Saturday had Shaq shut it down. He would've done the same with Taylor. 

My guess is, people were trying to save their jobs. Didn't JT get hurt early in the year as well? 

EDIT:  Just checked, Taylor injured his ankle in week 4 (first game against TEN). I could certainly see some plausibility to him being encouraged to play by the staff. We were 1-1-1 when he got injured. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Zak keefer said on the radio this morning that he believes Ballard is challenging is philosophy about paying guys early because it just hasn’t worked.

That could be true but its common for teams to hold off on extensions right after bringing in a new coach anyway.

48 minutes ago, cjrulli said:

Can't imagine it was Saturday. Saturday had Shaq shut it down. He would've done the same with Taylor. 

My guess is, people were trying to save their jobs. Didn't JT get hurt early in the year as well? 

EDIT:  Just checked, Taylor injured his ankle in week 4 (first game against TEN). I could certainly see some plausibility to him being encouraged to play by the staff. We were 1-1-1 when he got injured. 

Yeah. Saturday doesn't seem likely. Perhaps it was either Reich or the running backs coach then. 

2 hours ago, AKB said:

I don't believe this tweet at all.

Why force Taylor to play ?  We were already losing.  It wasn't like playing a hobbled Taylor was going to suddenly win us games.

I can't see either Saturday or Frank insisting that Taylor play injured.  The season was already down the tubes.

Frank was a dead man walking until he got fired.