Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jonathan Taylor comments on his contract/Request trade (Merge)

GoColts8818

4 minutes ago, DougDew said:

They ain't gonna tag him, IMO.  They don't want him associated with the Colts anymore and taint ARs press copy.  JMO from promotional Jimmy's point of view.

I guess we'll see, but if he remains on the roster through the 2023 season, I highly doubt they just let him walk, especially over theoretical media considerations.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

JT is a commodity.   He is a playmaker.  They aren't letting him go without compensation.   

They will if its November.  He might be on IR all season, but he's not going to be part of the team....with no compensation received if it goes that far.

I hope the trade happens...that a team even competes against themselves to offer something reasonable by Tuesday.   I hope no team calls Irsay's bluff about wanting JT and waits him out.

4 minutes ago, csmopar said:

For me, I’m setting the cost high. Why? For two reasons, it sets the tone that we’re not gonna be bullied just cause the market for RBs is low. And the second is because the team trading for him his getting an MVP level player when healthy. Honestly, I wouldn’t even consider what the Panthers got for Mcaffery

Oh I agree it should be high.  I wasn’t really questioning you rejecting the other offers as I agree with you.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DougDew said:

They will if its November.  He might be on IR all season, but he's not going to be part of the team....with no compensation received if it goes that far.

I hope the trade happens...that a team even competes against themselves to offer something reasonable by Tuesday.   I hope no team calls Irsay's bluff about wanting JT and waits him out.

It could happen. Either way, colts will come out ok

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DougDew said:

Teams are showing interest.   If irsay wants him gone,  it will happen soon.  

BTW you're theory of Leonard faking a concussion is next level Doug.   My goodness

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/tuesday-deadline-suggests-colts-might-be-willing-to-take-the-best-offer-for-jonathan-taylor

Tuesday deadline suggests Colts might be willing to take the best offer for Jonathan Taylor

By

Mike Florio

...the Colts have given Taylor until Tuesday, August 29 to find a “suitable offer.”

Why Tuesday? Why not just keep him until they get the offer they want? All it takes is, for example, a Week 1 injury to a starting running back on a contending team to create a demand that might not exist.

What happens if Tuesday comes and goes without a “suitable offer”? Taylor plays for the Colts, without complaint or concern? He forgets about wanting out, even after he had a chance to escape?

It’s almost seems as if the Colts have decided to take the best offer they get by Tuesday, and move on. That the deadline isn’t for Taylor but for anyone else who might be thinking time is on their side. The message, quite possibly, is that the Colts will be making a deal on Tuesday. So Tuesday is the day to make a move.

Holder also added that the Colts have offers from two unnamed teams. Some in league circles would say in response that, if the teams aren’t named, they don’t exist.

The substance of the offers hasn’t been reported. The Colts reportedly want a first-round pick. The biggest unknown is what does Taylor want? Unless his new team addresses that issue, they’ll potentially inherit the same issues the Colts might be trying to shed.

We’ll see how it plays out. Apparently, it will all end within the next six days — one way or the other.

I don't really like Florio's Colts takes. This one starts no different.

"Suitable offer" means our price is met, not whatever we can get.

1 minute ago, CR91 said:

I wanna preface by saying I don't think Taylor is lying nor do I think he's manipulating the situation. If that's the case, he'd be black balling himself out of the league. I also don't think any team would even consider trading for Taylor without a complete workup of his injury history. Clearly the dolphins like Taylor's medical enough to make an offer which tells me either he's fine or the Dolphins don't think it's serious. If Taylor is traded and he practices day one after being traded, I'll be the first one here calling him a lying piece of turd. Good riddance.

First, I sense a measure of naivete here. Taylor would not be the first, nor would he be the last, to manipulate an injury during a contract standoff. Players have done this before, and will do it moving forward. In fact, this exact strategy was discussed by players and the NFLPA during the running backs Zoom meeting a few weeks ago. You seem shocked by the very idea, and they actually said 'why don't we try this?' recently. 

Second, if you don't think Taylor is manipulating the injury situation, does that mean you believe he's still not fully recovered from a routine operation in January? If so, doesn't that concern you with regard to his future in the NFL? I would be very worried about paying a RB who is struggling to come back from a high ankle sprain this long after the injury and surgery. He'd be damaged goods. And through that lens, if the Colts can trade their damaged goods, at a position that they probably shouldn't spend big money on in the first place, and get back reasonable assets in return, isn't that the best case scenario?

So if Taylor is lying about being hurt, it seems like you'd want the "lying piece of turd" gone. And if he's still actually hurt, why would you want to keep him? 

I don't understand why you're upset with the Colts' approach, one way or the other.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Superman said:

I guess we'll see, but if he remains on the roster through the 2023 season, I highly doubt they just let him walk, especially over theoretical media considerations.

So you are saying tag him then trade him next spring?  cuz he ain't comin back. 

I suppose, but its at best a mid round pick by then with a * load of hassle for a season.

Tuesday is the deadline.  My guess Irsay will take the best offer.  

Just now, DougDew said:

I suppose, but its at best a mid round pick by then with a * load of hassle for a season.

Tuesday is not the deadline.   

Just now, DougDew said:

If he's still on the roster after this season, and doesn't have a new contract, yeah, he's getting tagged. And I'd be fine with trading him at that point, but he's definitely not just walking.

• Like 1

Just now, JColts72 said:

JT gets traded, fails his physical and back to Colts unable to play.

Nothing happens until the other team clears his medical, to avoid that kind of drama. I wouldn't be surprised if he already did some medical with the Eagles, TBH.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Teams are showing interest.   If irsay wants him gone,  it will happen soon.  

BTW you're theory of Leonard faking a concussion is next level Doug.   My goodness

Yes, that is my prevailing point.  Irsay gave permission to seek a trade, and teams are interested.  I think Irsay will accept the best offer by Tuesday instead of trying to go through the season to try something else.  What happens after that, cutting or tag and trade next spring is chicken feed not worth the time.  JMO.

As far as Leonard, the guy plays a few plays in a preseason game and goes out immediately, like he did during the game last season.  No, I don't take players at their word after they get guaranteed money.  So yes, I'm skeptical until there is proof from the CT scan.

2 minutes ago, JColts72 said:

JT gets traded, fails his physical and back to Colts unable to play.

No team is going to complete a trade unless they know Taylor can pass a physical and play.  The Colts gave him permission to seek a trade so that opened the door to allow teams that might be interested to find out that kind of information.

Just now, DougDew said:

As far as Leonard, the guy plays a few plays in a preseason game and goes out immediately, like he did during the game last season.  No, I don't take players at their word after they get guaranteed money.  So yes, I'm skeptical until there is proof from the CT scan.

Will you drop this theory if Leonard is playing Week 1?

Just now, jvan1973 said:

If the Colts and JT know he can't pass a physical,  then why the charade of letting him seek a trade?

In that scenario, he has to come back to the Colts, chastened, and prove that he's healthy before anyone will touch him. It wouldn't be fun, but that's his loss.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Superman said:

First, I sense a measure of naivete here. Taylor would not be the first, nor would he be the last, to manipulate an injury during a contract standoff. Players have done this before, and will do it moving forward. In fact, this exact strategy was discussed by players and the NFLPA during the running backs Zoom meeting a few weeks ago. You seem shocked by the very idea, and they actually said 'why don't we try this?' recently. 

Second, if you don't think Taylor is manipulating the injury situation, does that mean you believe he's still not fully recovered from a routine operation in January? If so, doesn't that concern you with regard to his future in the NFL? I would be very worried about paying a RB who is struggling to come back from a high ankle sprain this long after the injury and surgery. He'd be damaged goods. And through that lens, if the Colts can trade their damaged goods, at a position that they probably shouldn't spend big money on in the first place, and get back reasonable assets in return, isn't that the best case scenario?

So if Taylor is lying about being hurt, it seems like you'd want the "lying piece of turd" gone. And if he's still actually hurt, why would you want to keep him? 

I don't understand why you're upset with the Colts' approach, one way or the other.

We don't know what happened in that meeting other then what the media believes happened. You're basically suggesting the RBs conspired against to NFL to suggest their more hurt then they really are to what end exactly? Clubs do not want to pay RBs. Rather they play or not means nothing to them. 7th round Pacheco showed how little CEH meant to the chiefs.

1 minute ago, DougDew said:

Yes, that is my prevailing point.  Irsay gave permission to seek a trade, and teams are interested.  I think Irsay will accept the best offer by Tuesday instead of trying to go through the season to try something else.  What happens after that, cutting or tag and trade next spring is chicken feed not worth the time.  JMO.

The team isn't going to release a CT scan to the public.  There are laws against such a thing.   Why would the team lie?  

5 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Tuesday is not the deadline.   

For reasonable value management, yes it is.   Based upon the conditions now, JTs value is at its high point.  If it goes passed Tuesday,  Irsay will be gambling that a new set of conditions emerges that will increase JTs value.   Other teams want to set their rosters too and will move forward until something happens later.  If.

10 minutes ago, w87r said:

I don't really like Florio's Colts takes. This one starts no different.

"Suitable offer" means our price is met, not whatever we can get.

I don't like anything from Florio. He creates stories to rile up fans. Some might say he creates clickbait.

• Like 2

Just now, NFLfan said:

I don't like anything from Florio. He creates stories to rile up fans. Some might say he creates clickbait.

I think some in the media are pulling for the best story and a major trade to talk about is just that so they want the trade no matter what.

• Thanks 1