Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jonathan Taylor comments on his contract/Request trade (Merge)

GoColts8818

13 hours ago, BlackTiger said:

16 mil per year is too much after one big season.

Don't disagree. Never heard of or $!6m. I suggest keep salary in place and give him incentives. If one incentive is $6M for 20 TDs and another is $6M for 2,500 yards { just examples } then ok to $16M with his $4M salary plus incentives.

• Like 1

This won't be popular but...

I would make Taylor contract extension a priority over Pittman. We have decent RBs now that hit singles, but Taylor has a chance to hit a homerun everytime he gets the hand off. Not saying don't sign Pitt. I also agree with Ballard that with all the unknowns this year we should wait till after the season to resign anyone.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Matabix said:

This won't be popular but...

I would make Taylor contract extension a priority over Pittman. We have decent RBs now that hit singles, but Taylor has a chance to hit a homerun everytime he gets the hand off. Not saying don't sign Pitt. I also agree with Ballard that with all the unknowns this year we should wait till after the season to resign anyone.

Prioritizing RBs over WRs in the current NFL is definitely the way to go. :sarcasm:

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, esmort said:

Prioritizing RBs over WRs in the current NFL is definitely the way to go. :sarcasm:

JT is rare, even if he looses some speed he'll still be a top tier RB. Pitt is great, but I'm going off training camp news that our WR are dominating. Also Pitt might cost 20 mil/year and JT maybe 15 mil/year. Also I'm betting on us getting Harrison Jr. No way Irsay let's him get drafted somewhere else.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Matabix said:

JT is rare, even if he looses some speed he'll still be a top tier RB. Pitt is great, but I'm going off training camp news that our WR are dominating. Also Pitt might cost 20 mil/year and JT maybe 15 mil/year. Also I'm betting on us getting Harrison Jr. No way Irsay let's him get drafted somewhere else.

When it comes to JT, for some reason some in here are having a mental block and they don't factor in that he is a homerun hitter. Not many teams have that. On any given carry he can take it for 60-80 yards, all it takes is just 2 of those a game and that could be the difference in scoring 10-14 points more in a game. He is an outlier.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Matabix said:

RBs are plug and play; the difference between elite and good is not that significant...Zeke should be the poster child for why you don't give that kind of contract to RBs. Between the good RBs that are available on the street each year and the ease of getting replacements in the draft there is no reason to give a RB a big 2nd contract.

What Pittman should be paid is worth discussing, but not in the context of whether the difference should goto giving a RB a huge contract. If you don't want to pay Pittman the money can be spent on better things then overpaying a RB.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

When it comes to JT, for some reason some in here are having a mental block and they don't factor in that he is a homerun hitter. Not many teams have that. On any given carry he can take it for 60-80 yards, all it takes is just 2 of those a game and that could be the difference in scoring 10-14 points more in a game. He is an outlier.

I like JT, He is a great RB but he is not that much more special then many of the other RBs who are also not getting big contracts. 

RBs are plug and play; the difference between elite and good is not that significant...Zeke should be the poster child for why you don't give that kind of contract to RBs. Between the good RBs that are available on the street each year and the ease of getting replacements in the draft there is no reason to give a RB a big 2nd contract.

What Pittman should be paid is worth discussing, but not in the context of whether the difference should goto giving a RB a huge contract. If you don't want to pay Pittman the money can be spent on better things then overpaying a RB.

Sorry, I disagree. JT and Zeke are 2 different kinds of RBs. 

• Like 1

Just now, esmort said:

I like JT, He is a great RB but he is not that much more special then many of the other RBs who are also not getting big contracts. 

It is his speed that stands out . I do like Barkley's overall game and Cook is impressive and they aren't getting paid what they want so I get that part of it. Being a RB right now is just a unlucky spot to be in. I am on record saying we should maybe give JT something like 3 years for 39 million = 13 million a year. I think it was either Query or Bowen that said the same thing, that a contract like that is fair and should make JT happen. Maybe make 20 million of that guaranteed. McCaffrey got 38 million guaranteed on his 4 year/64 million dollar deal. I wouldn't break the bank for JT but I would pay him handsomely.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Matabix said:

Sorry, I disagree. JT and Zeke are 2 different kinds of RBs. 

The type of RB they are wasn't the point. The size of the contract and how it hurt the team is the point. Just because they are different backs doesn't change the fact of how long the lifespan of a RB typically is and how easy they are to replace.

The type of RB they are wasn't the point. The size of the contract and how it hurt the team is the point. Just because they are different backs doesn't change the fact of how long the lifespan of a RB typically is and how easy they are to replace.

My point is JT loses some speed he's still top tier. Better speed and vision than most. 

8 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

It is his speed that stands out . I do like Barkley's overall game and Cook is impressive and they aren't getting paid what they want so I get that part of it. Being a RB right now is just a unlucky spot to be in. I am on record saying we should maybe give JT something like 3 years for 39 million = 13 million a year. I think it was either Query or Bowen that said the same thing, that a contract like that is fair and should make JT happen. Maybe make 20 million of that guaranteed. McCaffrey got 38 million guaranteed on his 4 year/64 million dollar deal. I wouldn't break the bank for JT but I would pay him handsomely.

He needs to put up another elite year if he wants to be in the same conversation as CMC, and prove he's can be a true dual threat, on top of his speed. No RB is going to get paid those premium contracts going forward unless they can show they are that hybrid RB/WR threat CMC, Kamara, Bijan, Deebo (even though he fought tooth and nail to not be classified a RB), etc... and even then I don't know how many teams are just going to shell out big contracts.

3 minutes ago, Matabix said:

My point is JT loses some speed he's still top tier. Better speed and vision than most. 

All I do know is this, JT put up Barry Sanders like numbers in 2021 with Carson Wentz at QB and an O.Line that struggled, especially at LT. Nelson wasn't 100% healthy that season either. We were 9-6 mainly because of JT. JT single handedly beat the Patriots when Wentz was awful. We had no pass game vs the Pats and they still couldn't stop JT. They had a great defense too.

4 minutes ago, Matabix said:

Blue Kool-Aid ... he loses his elite speed he takes a much lower contract and/or is on the street with Dalvin, Hunt, etc ... waiting for a desperate team.

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

All I do know is this, JT put up Barry Sanders like numbers in 2021 with Carson Wentz at QB and an O.Line that struggled, especially at LT. Nelson wasn't 100% healthy that season either. We were 9-6 mainly because of JT. JT single handedly beat the Patriots when Wentz was awful. We had no pass game vs the Pats and they still couldn't stop JT. They had a great defense too.

However good Colts fans think he is he's not getting a top tier contract after what the other elite RBs agreed to, an injury concern, and is still under contract....and he shouldn't...if he plays out his contract and proves his elite value in the new offense then we can talk.

Just now, esmort said:

However good Colts fans think he is he's not getting a top tier contract after what the other elite RBs agreed to, an injury concern, and is still under contract....and he shouldn't...if he plays out his contract and proves his elite value in the new offense then we can talk.

Do you think the contract I offered above is top tier? I really don't, I think it is a fair one and a good one for both sides but that is not top tier. Top tier is what McCaffrey got at that position.

• Like 1

I can agree with this, IMO it is JT's speed where he stands out over most.

Speed is one of the first things to go, and unfortunately for RBs, unlike WRs they can't as easily make up for the losing a step with experience and increased skill on other areas... ie. better route running, and reading defenses to find the weak spots to get open, etc...

4 minutes ago, esmort said:

Speed is one of the first things to go, and unfortunately for RBs, unlike WRs they can't as easily make up for the losing a step with experience and increased skill on other areas... ie. better route running, and reading defenses to find the weak spots to get open, etc...

That is why I would not sign him longer than 3 years. He is only 24, so I figure by the time he is 27 we got his best years. 

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Do you think the contract I offered above is top tier? I really don't, I think it is a fair one and a good one for both sides but that is not top tier. Top tier is what McCaffrey got at that position.

Isn't the contract you outlined above almost exactly what Saquon Barkley turned down before he realized his mistake and ended up signing that 1 year deal.  I figure that is probably a top tier RB contract at this point. What other RBs got recent decent contracts Sanders signed 4yr/25/13 guaranteed and Montgomery got 3yr/18 mil/11 guaranteed... so Saquon was the top of market offer.

1 minute ago, esmort said:

Isn't the contract you outlined above almost exactly what Saquon Barkley turned down before he realized his mistake and ended up signing that 1 year deal.  I figure that is probably a top tier RB contract at this point. What other RBs got recent decent contracts Sanders signed 4yr/25/13 guaranteed and Montgomery got 3yr/18 mil/11 guaranteed... so Saquon was the top of market offer.

Regarding Barkley, not sure. I know he just didn't want to be franchised tagged at 10.1 Million. 

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Regarding Barkley, not sure. I know he just didn't want to be franchised tagged at 10.1 Million. 

I think he turned down like 3 yrs 39 mil 19.5 guaranteed...then realized his mistake and signed a 1 yr deal for just over franchise tag with agreement no franchise tag next season.

Just now, esmort said:

I think he turned down like 3 yrs 39 mil 19.5 guaranteed...then realized his mistake and signed a 1 yr deal for just over franchise tag with agreement no franchise tag next season.

I will have to look that up because your contract would be a fair one. I would give JT that. I am not sure Barkley was offered that. If he was, maybe it was the guaranteed money he didn't like. He may have wanted like 25 million guaranteed, not sure.

1 hour ago, Matabix said:

Agreed, sign your best players, I thought it was said to be one of Ballard's philosophies. Of course, re-sign within reasonable demands.

As for the content on prioritizing RBs over WRs, it depends on the personnel. Giving top tier money to Pittman could be better spent on reaching middle ground in contract negotiations with JT. 

I will have to look that up because your contract would be a fair one. I would give JT that. I am not sure Barkley was offered that. If he was, maybe it was the guaranteed money he didn't like. He may have wanted like 25 million guaranteed, not sure.

I might be able to talk myself into that as the very top end deal if he passed physical; only because we are giving him 5 mil this year anyway  ... but I don't think JT would have signed it.

17 minutes ago, esmort said:

I might be able to talk myself into that as the very top end deal if he passed physical; only because we are giving him 5 mil this year anyway  ... but I don't think JT would have signed it.

That is the mystery. Nobody even knows if JT was offered an extension or if he was, how much? We really don't know what JT wants either. There are rumors out there but they are rumors. That is the frustrating thing. I was just throwing out a contract that seemed reasonable and good for both sides. Pretty much on the Bowen and Query show they also have brought up like a contract like mine that would be fair to JT and the Colts.

5 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Henry got $25 million GTD in a 4 year $50 mill.

Give JT 4 years $40 million with the same $25 million guaranteed, there is a good chance he takes it based on the GTD money.

• Like 1