Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts @ Rams post game thread

Solid84

1 hour ago, Moosejawcolt said:

What's even worse is that they don't have elite wrs. They just look for the soft spots in the zone.

Puka is embarrassing teams. He’s already elite in my book. He’s single-handedly keeping me alive this week on my fantasy team. It’s just sad it had to be against us.

• Like 5

Bad: Defense started the game like they couldn't be bothered to tackle or put forth much effort. Cox TD woke up the whole team.

Worse: D-line couldn't get pressure on a one legged Stafford behind a banged up line. 

Good: our online held up pretty well and moved the pocket away from Donald for the most part.

Great: AR is an absolute "DAWG" to quote Pat McAfee. 

2 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Today's first half was the first real struggle from Richardson in his career. The positive is he figured it out and lead us to a shot in OT. He never got a chance to win it for us as the defense let us down. So I expect AR to continue to improve. Right now, he is close to Stroud as the best QB in this class. 

Both stroud and Richardson look like they could take a team to the playoffs right now if these teams were more well rounded. If colts had a couple vets in the secondary we would be really good.

Speaking  of cox he has had a couple really big plays these last couple games.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Zoltan said:

There will be some interesting names in FA including Mike Evans, Hollywood Brown, and Calvin Ridley but none I would break the bank for Brown could be an interesting fit in this offense but I would still want a 1st round pick WR

Getting a guy that's near age 30 or more doesn't make sense though. It doesn't align at all with AR's timeframe.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

So Travis Kelce shouldn’t be our performing the chiefs WR because he is a tight end lol.

So why is Kelce the hundred one target on chiefs? Tight ends are a mismatch. Take advantage of that.

the chiefs INDEED have a wide receiver problem.  But the chiefs also have PAT MAHOMES and TRAVIS KELCE.   I didn’t think I needed to explain that fully when I said there are some that can do it.  If you have to use TWO players who are TOP 5 in their respective positions, then you’re proving my point.  Pat Mahomes is so good, he doesn’t necessarily need elite talent at wide receiver because he can make things happen, Travis is good enough on his own, and he has ANDY FREAKING REID! lol. 

If we have ANY offensive skill position players who have Mahomes or kelce talent, please point them out and call Shane personally to tell him to use them more lol.  

3 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

So Travis Kelce shouldn’t be our performing the chiefs WR because he is a tight end lol.

So why is Kelce the hundred one target on chiefs? Tight ends are a mismatch. Take advantage of that.

Kelce is the best in the league, and even the chiefs are struggling at WR which has led to inconsistent drives and alot of drops. They need WRs really bad.

We don't have Kelce or really any that is close to his talent and it's not just one TE that's beating out the WR group, our whole TE group is playing better than the whole WR group.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Indyfan4life said:

You can go ahead and admit you’re not a Richardson fan instead of passive aggressive bullcrap and backhanded compliments. 

There are a few people in here like that. It is because they wanted Stroud or Young instead. I notice who they are too because when AR struggles a bit and Stroud does good, they brag about Stroud and bash AR. Hey everyone has their favorites, so I am ok with it, but I love our QB, he showed me a lot against the Texans and today in the 2nd Half vs the Rams. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

Getting a guy that's near age 30 or more doesn't make sense though. It doesn't align at all with AR's timeframe.

Brown would be 26/27 next year. Ridley will be 28/29. Evans would be the only one over 30. I understand not wanting an old guy but we just need some reliable hands or can make plays once the ball is in their hands.

3 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

Kelce is the best in the league, and even the chiefs are struggling at WR which has led to inconsistent drives and alot of drops. They need WRs really bad.

We don't have Kelce or really any that is close to his talent and it's not just one TE that's beating out the WR group, our whole TE group is playing better than the whole WR group.

So changing the bench mark. Again it doesn’t matter if your tight ends are catching the balls and making big plays.

I think we will draft another WR in first round if we don’t see more from pierce.  We won’t sign a vet because we have to pay Pittman.

20 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

Your TEs shouldn't be outperforming your WRs period and when you go by player it actually looks worse because all the drops at the TE position were from Granson 2 of 5. Pittman was 1 of 5, Pierce 1 of 2, Downs was the most reliable at 2 of 3 which I'm okay with. Mckenzie was 1 of 3. 

Tell that to Kelce, Kittle, and Andrews.  TEs can be a big part of the game.  Depends on who the coach is.

• Like 1

Just now, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

So changing the bench mark. Again it doesn’t matter if your tight ends are catching the balls and making big plays.

I think we will draft another WR in first round if we don’t see more from pierce.  We won’t sign a vet because we have to pay Pittman.

he’s not changing the benchmark because he said the tight end GROUP is outperforming the wide receiver GROUP.  No one said your tight end couldn’t be your best pass catcher, but it’s a problem when the group is outperforming the wide receivers 

• Like 1

Just now, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

This secondary is going to have to be overhauled in the off-season. I don’t think Blackmon will be back.  Thomas is a 7th round guy. We need better. Plus a couple vet corners.

I doubt it they are all really young and the team will be projecting them to improve. Moore may be gone because he is in a contract year and they will probably replace him but I don't think they will have more than 1 new starter.

23 minutes ago, JediXMan said:

You guys think we take a chance at Claypool Bears are only asking for a 5th or 6th for him?

Why on earth would the Colts give anything for Claypool?  He’s already played his way out of Pittsburgh and has been benched in Chicago. 

The answer is they won’t. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

Brown would be 26/27 next year. Ridley will be 28/29. Evans would be the only one over 30. I understand not wanting an old guy but we just need some reliable hands or can make plays once the ball is in their hands.

Sure, but Brown isn't a must have. I wouldn't put him above Pittman for instance. Ridley is good, but if he stays good the Jags will pay him?

Evans is probably a top 3 WR over the last decade. 9 straight 1000+ yard seasons coming into his 10th. Absolute beast. He just doesn't fit on a young team.

12 minutes ago, DattMavis said:

Puka is embarrassing teams. He’s already elite in my book. He’s single-handedly keeping me alive this week on my fantasy team. It’s just sad it had to be against us.

In the game thread, I put up a poll of how many receiving yards Puka Nacua may have. I did that because I thought some folks may not know who he is or how well he has played this year. He has broken records as a rookie WR.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Zoltan said:

I doubt it they are all really young and the team will be projecting them to improve. Moore may be gone because he is in a contract year and they will probably replace him but I don't think they will have more than 1 new starter.

We have a bunch of undrafted corners. Yes it will be overhauled. Brent’s will be fine but the rest of the young guys are trash. 

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

There are a few people in here like that. It is because they wanted Stroud or Young instead. I notice who they are too because when AR struggles a bit and Stroud does good, they brag about Stroud and bash AR. Hey everyone has their favorites, so I am ok with it, but I love our QB, he showed me a lot against the Texans and today in the 2nd Half vs the Rams. 

Stroud looks really good, but I’d still rather have AR’s skill set. However, I was an AR guy all last year, so maybe I’m doing the same thing, only against Stroud.

I never wanted Bryce because as a small guy, I just don’t see a guy who’s about an inch taller than I am being a good QB in the NFL. I know what it looks like when I’m around 6’5 guys. No thanks.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

at this point they may not pay Pittman, if he doesn't improve his play.

Also I wasn't changing the benchmark, the whole time I was saying we can't have the TEs outplaying the WRs. your comeback was travis Kelce who may end up being the best receiving TE to ever play, which is an extreme outlier. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Shaq getting benched. Ouch

It's fair I think. He hasn't been playing well. He'll need time and some S&C to get back into shape. If he can't get to his old level  he'll be too expensive though.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DattMavis said:

Stroud looks really good, but I’d still rather have AR’s skill set. However, I was an AR guy all last year, so maybe I’m doing the same thing, only against Stroud.

I never wanted Bryce because as a small guy, I just don’t see a guy who’s about an inch taller than I am being a good QB in the NFL. I know what it looks like when I’m around 6’5 guys. No thanks.

I actually liked Young and he looks the worst of the 3 Embarrassed Exit Strategy GIF

• Like 1

Also at some point the Colts need to be able to take away the team’s best receiver.  Whether it’s scheme or just 1-2 guys who can play lock down defense on the perimeter, that needs to be a focus as well. A true lock down defender who only gets beat by guys like Jefferson, Adams, etc…

31 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Nope. I think a player loses the distinction of being elite when he leaves and the guys who replace him put up similar production. That's when it is scheme.

Moose my man.   I think we have found common ground.   😆 

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

It hurt us here, but I'm fine with them. You get a chance to tie if you stop them or hold them to a FG. The defending team shouldn't be given another chance if they allow a TD. I'm saying that as a Colts fan that lost this game.

I dunno man, the NFL OT rules are hard to stomach. Its like literally the only sport in the world that doesnt play the entire allocated time when it goes into overtime.... literally why?

It's so dumb to potentially leave the result of the game down to a coin toss..

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, John Waylon said:

I did not love the call to do for it on 4th and 7. What would that FG have been? Even with the earlier miss I would have probably taken that over the 4th down attempt. It just wasn’t the right call there at that time for me. 

Going for it on fourth down seems to be the new norm in the NFL.... almost regardless of the situation.

Just now, Chucklez said:

I dunno man, the NFL OT rules are hard to stomach. Its like literally the only sport in the world that doesnt play the entire allocated time when it goes into overtime.... literally why?

It's so dumb to potentially leave the result of the game down to a coin toss..

IMO, you had the whole game to beat your opponent. If it comes down to OT and you lose the coin toss, then it's up to your defense to prevent the other team from scoring a TD. It sucks it happened to us, but all we needed was an extra FG the entire first half and it didn't happen.

6 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

Sure, but Brown isn't a must have. I wouldn't put him above Pittman for instance. Ridley is good, but if he stays good the Jags will pay him?

Evans is probably a top 3 WR over the last decade. 9 straight 1000+ yard seasons coming into his 10th. Absolute beast. He just doesn't fit on a young team.

It will be interesting to see what the Jags do because Lawrence will be going into his contract year, and their best pass rusher Josh Allen will be a FA along with Ridley it will be hard to sign all three possible but hard.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Ballard is going to hate the fact that wide out is still an issue after drafting one in the first 3 rounds 2 years back to back, but you are absolutely right. Idk if we’ll be able to get MHJ but you need someone who can be “that” guy. It’s the same thing the announcers were saying about the Ravens last week. That they never have that elite skill position guy who the defense fears.

We had/have Taylor, but we haven’t had that guy as a pass catcher in quite awhile. 

Didn't the Raven's have Brown, who they shipped off?  Wasn't he good?

I think now colts really look like they have their franchise QB this will be the off season Ballard has to go all out and try and fix weaknesses. No more playing around.

Secondary needs overhauled 

Maybe another WR  will see where pierce is at

We don’t really have much to worry about.  Just get those two areas help.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jackie Daytona said:

Going for it on fourth down seems to be the new norm in the NFL.... almost regardless of the situation.

Well, today should serve as a good reason why teams should think those decisions over a little more thoroughly. If the offense had started at their own 10 and driven to that point? Maybe. But they had sputtered after a turnover. That 3 points would have won the game in regulation. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, compuls1v3 said:

Didn't the Raven's have Brown, who they shipped off?  Wasn't he good?

Yeah Lamar was mad they traded him because he was his only reliable WR and he was good in arizona with Kyler. I think Downs fits his role but he is a player where one short pass can become a big gain.

11 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

We have a bunch of undrafted corners. Yes it will be overhauled. Brent’s will be fine but the rest of the young guys are trash. 

I think you are overreacting a bit to the loss, but we can just agree to disagree and see what happens

• Like 1

1 minute ago, John Waylon said:

Well, today should serve as a good reason why teams should think those decisions over a little more thoroughly. If the offense had started at their own 10 and driven to that point? Maybe. But they had sputtered after a turnover. That 3 points would have won the game in regulation. 

There's a lot of ifs after that because we may of not even made the fg as both teams missed them today. Then we don't know if the playcalling would be different from the rams and if the defense would be able to stop them from scoring or if the offense would have been able to score on the following drive after starting at a different field position.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1