Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Two big plays lost the game

JMichael557

Not really being talked about but 2 plays were the most critical in losing the game that should not have occurred.

1. QB Sneak. I agree with the decision it was 4th and a few inches. That should have been a easy pickup. The team rushed it and it was poorly executed. Need a TE or Lineman behind the QB pushing. That would have lead to perhaps 7 or at least a FG absent a turnover.

2. Punt Return. We are up 4 and punt the ball inside the 10 and our punt team allows the returner to pick the ball up and return it past midfield leading to the go ahead TD.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Dark Superman said:

Didn't Jackson fumble the ball twice?

Yeah, I think we couldn't play with a lead given the 4th down failures and those early turnovers. That is where the game was truly lost. Then came the 4th quarter and playing from behind is not a winning recipe with a rookie QB when the opposition knows they can tee off with an ineffective running game. 

Not kicking FG cost 3 points 

Not punting deep gave jags 7 points 

Then the long return by jags 

Fumble by Jackson 

If this was a experienced team I think going for it would of been the right decision. But it’s not. Those 4 plays are what cost the game. Good news unlike the other two rookie QB colts were in position to win and have a better team.

All the rookie coaches lost their games yesterday.

That sneak was….

well it was something. Did they practice that one like that, or did everyone get out there and… do what they did for it to go that way?

That one was a bit embarrassing, honestly. 

I don’t mind being aggressive on 4th with this offense, but my goodness they need to evaluate some of the plays they have in the book for those situations because none of them looked particularly threatening yesterday. 

I’ll let them get away with the toss that time. First day on the job and all. But next time Shane radios that one in on a 4th down I’m gonna say something about it. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Fumble by Jackson 

If this was a experienced team I think going for it would of been the right decision. But it’s not. Those 4 plays are what cost the game. Good news unlike the other two rookie QB colts were in position to win and have a better team.

Shane said you pass to score and run to win.  Without Taylor and Moss for that matter there was no running the ball.  We were a one trick pony.  We need a legitimate threat at running back.  A problem that can easily be solved by getting JT back on the field.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Shane said you pass to score and run to win.  Without Taylor and Moss for that matter there was no running the ball.  We were a one trick pony.  We need a legitimate threat at running back.  A problem that can easily be solved by getting JT back on the field.

Yeah the passing  game can’t work if there is no running game.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

That sneak was….

well it was something. Did they practice that one like that, or did everyone get out there and… do what they did for it to go that way?

That one was a bit embarrassing, honestly. 

I don’t mind being aggressive on 4th with this offense, but my goodness they need to evaluate some of the plays they have in the book for those situations because none of them looked particularly threatening yesterday. 

I’ll let them get away with the toss that time. First day on the job and all. But next time Shane radios that one in on a 4th down I’m gonna say something about it. 

The problem was a rookie QB and they rushed it. Not a experienced team who has done that 1k times. Take a timeout and review the spot. It was too rushed.

• Like 2

I AR would have stretched the ball out he would have had the first down but he hugged it to his chest which generally is wise but we needed only inches in this case. 

Don't know his average yesterday but thought Sanchez had one of his worst days punting as a Colt. Gave up field position big time in the first half. Best punt of the day our gunners let the ball bounce around inside the 10 and instead of downing it we let the guy field it. That cost us around 50 yds and set up their go a head TD and changed the momentum of the game.

I thought our D played great and keep us in the game but ran out of gas late. Young corners I thought played good under the circumstances.

RBBC not so good.   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Fumble by Jackson 

our rookie coach is learning on the job, hope he learns fast

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BlackTiger said:

The jaguars could argue Buckner's TD shouldnt have occurred too though.  Flip that play and colts lose 31-14 and are not even really in it the  4th

Correct you are sir! The Colts offense scored 14 points. AR looked good but he has a Looong road to compete with Lawrence in a shootout.