Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Mid-Pre Season Final 53

Archer

QB (2) Richardson, Minshew

I understand the new rule for a third QB being available to the team as an extra active player on Sundays.  But I still can’t justify keeping Ehlinger on the final 53 with the tough choices at other positions.

RB (4) Taylor, Moss, Jackson, Hull

I’m guessing that the injury charade is ended the week before the regular season and Taylor is activated and starts Week 1.  Just a best guess.  With Moss recovering, it forces a 4th RB on the active roster.

TE (4) Granson, Woods, Ogletree, Mallory

Tough group to guess, with Woods, Mallory, Ogletree, and Cox missing so much time.  I hate it, but I gotta cut Cox with an eye towards the future.  The others all figure in for some time.  I do see a possibility of keeping 5, though, since all the injuries are still ongoing. 

WR (5) Pittman, Downs, Pierce, Strachan, McKenzie

In this scenario, Dulin, who was carted off the field yesterday, ends up on the IR.  No info on that injury, but the word “carted” is never good, and it keeps me from having to make even more difficult decisions. 

OL (9) Raimann, Nelson, Kelly, Gabe Jackson (FA, Raiders), Smith, Freeland, Fries, Hambright, Pinter

I do think that the Fries injury will force a FA move.  Everyone expects Risner, and it wouldn’t surprise me.  But Jackson is more of a road-grader and has been VERY steady his whole career.  Great guy too.  Ekiyor and French didn’t do much to make this roster.

Offense total: 24

DL (10) Paye, Buckner, Stewart, Ebukam, Odeyingbo, Adebawore, Johnson, Muhammad, Lewis, Agim

I guess that Taven Bryan is the surprise here, but I haven’t heard his name much this camp, so Agim gets the nod.  Didn’t like letting Leo go, but he was a surprise 6th round pick, so he should make it to the PS.

LB (6) Leonard, Franklin, Speed, Domann, Stuard, Olubi

We like our LBs for ST, and we’ve heard very little about back-up LBs other than Stuard getting Leonard’s 1st team contact reps early on and Olubi news (at times great, at times exposed in coverage). 

DBs (10) Flowers, Blackmon, Thomas II, Moore II, Baker Jr., Rush, Cross, Brents, Harrison, Jones

A good, promising group.  I kinda think Rush might take Flowers starting spot early in the season, whereas Brents may take a while to get meaningful PT (just a feeling). 

Defense total: 26

ST (3) Sanchez, Gay, Rhodes.

No competition here.  How old is Rhodes?  May need some competition at LS next year.

ST total:  3

IR (4) Scott, Witt, Fernea, Dulin

PS (17, including Dabo, who still gets a roster exemption, I believe) Ehlinger, Huntley, O’Donnell, FA OG, Ekiyor, FA OT, Vyncent Smith, Amari Rodgers, Malik Turner, Leo, Kareem, FA DT, Mutin, Tony Brown, Tabor, Henry Black, Dabo.

Allowed for some FAs (probably UCFAs) that Ballard snagged off other teams' final cuts.  Didn't predict any of those on the Active Roster, though that is a typical Ballard move.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Archer said:

Tough group to guess, with Woods, Mallory, Ogletree, and Cox missing so much time.  I hate it, but I gotta cut Cox with an eye towards the future.  The others all figure in for some time.  I do see a possibility of keeping 5, though, since all the injuries are still ongoing. 

I’ve been saying for awhile the Colts should move on from MAC. Nothing personal against the guy, I just don’t really see how much value he adds. You’ve got a bunch of young TE’s, let them play.

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, colts52761 said:

Good job. I'd like to see Pinter gone also!

Funny, I started at the beginning of camp saying that Pinter wouldn’t make it.  But Ballard keeps talking him up, and now we have a Kelly injury.  He’d be gone if French or Ekiyor showed anything..,

8 hours ago, Archer said:

I understand the new rule for a third QB being available to the team as an extra active player on Sundays.  But I still can’t justify keeping Ehlinger on the final 53 with the tough choices at other positions.

I’m guessing that the injury charade is ended the week before the regular season and Taylor is activated and starts Week 1.  Just a best guess.  With Moss recovering, it forces a 4th RB on the active roster.

In this scenario, Dulin, who was carted off the field yesterday, ends up on the IR.  No info on that injury, but the word “carted” is never good, and it keeps me from having to make even more difficult decisions. 

OL (9) Raimann, Nelson, Kelly, Gabe Jackson (FA, Raiders), Smith, Freeland, Fries, Hambright, Pinter

I do think that the Fries injury will force a FA move.  Everyone expects Risner, and it wouldn’t surprise me.  But Jackson is more of a road-grader and has been VERY steady his whole career.  Great guy too.  Ekiyor and French didn’t do much to make this roster.

DL (10) Paye, Buckner, Stewart, Ebukam, Odeyingbo, Adebawore, Johnson, Muhammad, Lewis, Agim

I guess that Taven Bryan is the surprise here, but I haven’t heard his name much this camp, so Agim gets the nod.  Didn’t like letting Leo go, but he was a surprise 6th round pick, so he should make it to the PS.

We like our LBs for ST, and we’ve heard very little about back-up LBs other than Stuard getting Leonard’s 1st team contact reps early on and Olubi news (at times great, at times exposed in coverage). 

DBs (10) Flowers, Blackmon, Thomas II, Moore II, Baker Jr., Rush, Cross, Brents, Harrison, Jones

A good, promising group.  I kinda think Rush might take Flowers starting spot early in the season, whereas Brents may take a while to get meaningful PT (just a feeling). 

No competition here.  How old is Rhodes?  May need some competition at LS next year.

PS (17, including Dabo, who still gets a roster exemption, I believe) Ehlinger, Huntley, O’Donnell, FA OG, Ekiyor, FA OT, Vyncent Smith, Amari Rodgers, Malik Turner, Leo, Kareem, FA DT, Mutin, Tony Brown, Tabor, Henry Black, Dabo.

Allowed for some FAs (probably UCFAs) that Ballard snagged off other teams' final cuts.  Didn't predict any of those on the Active Roster, though that is a typical Ballard move.

Think Drake takes a rb spot,

Rodgers a wr spot  though could be Perriman but not sure how healthy he is.

Ekiyar an O Line spot though Skipper who brings a vet presence and immense size.

Bryan getting cut would surprise me, been running with 2's all camp, 16 game starter last year in Clev

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Archer said:

Jackson is a descending, 32 year old who was sharing snaps with someone last season, and he finished with a lower (poor) Pff grade 55 than Fries 🍟.

We gotta do better than him.

“Jackson logged a career-low 667 snaps and earned a career-worst 55.0 grade in 2022, with sub-60.0 grades as both a run blocker and pass protector. The long-time stalwart started his career with six straight pass-blocking grades above 70.0 but has failed to reach the 60.0 mark in back-to-back seasons and will be 32 in Week 1 of 2023.”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have 51 who I think are locks for the roster, as follows (without injury of course):

Offense: 24

QB - Richardson, Minshew

Notable Cuts: Sam Ehlinger 

RB - JT, Jackson, Moss, Hull

Notable Cuts: Drake

WR - Pittman, Pierce, Downs, McKenzie, Rodgers

Notable Cuts: Perriman, Washington, Strachan (same boat as Patmon - no ST's ability)

TE - Woods, Gransen, Mallory, Ogletree

Notable Cuts: Cox in a surprise move, Brown, Seal-Jones

LT - Raimann, Hambright

LG - Nelson, French

C - Kelly, Pinter

RG - Fries

RT - Smith, Freeland

Notable Cuts: Ekiyor, Skipper, Shepley

Special teams: 3

K - Gay

LS - Rhodes

P - Rigo

Defense: 24

S - Blackmon, Thomas, Cross, Black

Notable Cuts: Harrison, Denbow, Dabo (with his exemption)

CB - Moore, Flowers, Baker, Brents, Rush, Jones

Notable Cuts: Brown

Suspended: Lammons

LB - Leonard, Franklin, Speed, Stuard

DE - Paye, Dayo, Ebukam, Tomi, AQD

Notable Cuts: Leo, Kareem, Lewis

DT - Buckner, Stewart, Johnson, Bryan, Tomi

Notable Cuts: Agim

What I think happens on cut down day is JT is moved to the IR - Designated to return and the re-sign Drake.

Lammons is automatically suspended and once he's eligible to return my thoughts are the youngsters are showing enough progress that he is not needed and stashed on the PS.

Additionally, I think there is an interior OLineman scooped up on the waiver wire on cut down day and they replace French as Hambright has shown versatility as an OG/OT.

I still feel like Cox gets cut in a cap savings move and because it appears that the new head coach really like Gransen and Mallory (since he was instrumental in drafting him) and the two young guys in Woods and Ogletree are too good to try to stash on the PS.

The last two spots come down to 6th WR or 5th Safety or 5th LB - all with special teams ability.

• Like 3

Colts 53:

Offense (25)

QB:  Richardson, Minshew, Sam (3)

RB:  Moss, Jackson, Hull, Funk (4) (Taylor stays on PUP

WR:  Pittman, Pierce, Downs, Makenzie, Winfree, Strachan (6)

TE:  Woods, Granson, Mallory, Ogletree (4)

Tackle:  Rainmann, Smith, Freeland (3)

Guard:  Nelson, Fries, French (3)

Center:  Kelly, Pinter (2)

Defense (25)

End:  Kwitty, Dayo, Samson, Lewis, AQM (5)

DT:  Buckner, Stewart, Bryan, AA, Johnson (5)

LB:  Shaq, Franklin, Speed, Stuart, Domann (5)

CB:  Moore, Flowers, Baker, Jones, Brents, Rush (6)

S:  Thomas, Blackmon, Cross, Black (4)

ST:  Gay, Rigo, Rhodes (3)

I went with the best 53 right now.  I think one of the dline men gets cut lose for an extra olineman picked up either in trade or final roster cutdowns.

I went back and forth with Skipper or Johnson for the last spot.  In the end I sided with Johnson because I think he’s played better but that isn’t saying much. 

• Like 2

Colts roster:(53)(1 PUP)(1 International Exemption)(1 suspension list)

Offense:(26)

QB:(3)

Anthony Richardson 

Gardner Minshew 

Sam Ehlinger

RB:(4)

Jonathan Taylor(PUP)

Zach Moss

Deon Jackson

Evan Hull

Jake Funk

WR:(6)

Michael Pittman Jr

Alec Pierce

Josh Downs

Isaiah McKenzie 

Juwann Winfree

Amari Rodgers 

TE:(4)

Jelani Woods

Kylen Granson

Andrew Ogletree

Will Mallory 

OT:(4)

Bernard Raimann

Braden Smith

Blake Freeland 

Dan Skipper

OG:(3)

Quenton Nelson

Will Fries

Arlington Hambright(play OT as well)

OC:(2)

Ryan Kelly

Danny Pinter 

Defense:(24)

DE:(5)

Kwity Paye

Dayo Odeyingbo

Samson Ebukam

Al'Quadin Muhammad 

Titus Leo

DT:(4)

Deforest Buckner

Grover Stewart

Taven Bryan

Adetomiwa Adebawore

LB:(5)

Shaq Leonard

Zaire Franklin

EJ Speed

Segun Olubi

Grant Stuard

CB:(6)

Juju Brents 

Dallis Flowers

Kenny Moore

Darius Rush

Jaylon Jones

Darrell Baker Jr

Chris Lammons(3 game suspension)

S:(4)

Rodney Thomas II

Julian Blackmon

Nick Cross

Henry Black

SPT:(3)

K:(1)

Matt Gay

P:(1)

Rigoberto Sanchez

LS:(1)

Luke Rhodes

Practice Squad:(17)

Kenyan Drake

James Washington 

Pharaoh Brown

Carter O'Donnell

Emil Ekiyor

Tyquan Lewis

Khalid Kareem

McTelvin Agim

Eric Johnson

Cameron McGrone

Jojo Domann

Tony Brown

Trevor Denbow

Ronnie Harrison 

Teez Tabor

Marcel Dabo(International Exemption)

Mike Strachan

IR:

Daniel Scott(S)

Jake Witt(T)

Michael Tutsie(S)

Ashton Dulin(WR)

Genard Avery(DE)

Malik Turner(WR) 

This is tough, down to final cut and it's between a few people.

Funk(depends if Moss is ready)

Ogletree

Ekiyor (can use all the guys we can get)

AQM( nice depth to have.

Ultimate decision is try and sneak Ekiyor to the PS. 

Keeping 3 QBs really hurts that extra guy somewhere else.

• Like 1

My way too early final 53 (pre-waiver wire or trades):

TLDR - basically really similar to others' rosters with a few tweaks, but main changes are:

• I think we finally cut bait on Ehlinger (can he drop to practice squad again? If so I reckon he ends up there - as is made "active" each week from the PS to be that 3rd spare QB on game days)
  • Also, I actually think that Taylor ends up swallowing his pride and is playing week 1 (Funk loses out).
  • Finally, I have Washington making the team ar WR over Rodgers.

Offense:(25)

QB:(2)

Anthony Richardson 

Gardner Minshew 

RB:(4)

Jonathan Taylor

Zach Moss

Deon Jackson

Evan Hull

WR:(6)

Michael Pittman Jr

Alec Pierce

Josh Downs

Isaiah McKenzie 

Mike Strachan

James Washington

TE:(4)

Kylen Granson
Jelani Woods

Andrew Ogletree

Will Mallory 

OT:(4)

Bernard Raimann

Braden Smith

Blake Freeland 

Arlington Hambright (G depth too)

OG:(3)

Quenton Nelson

Will Fries

Wesley French

OC:(2)

Ryan Kelly

Danny Pinter 

Defense:(25)
DE:(6)

Kwity Paye

Dayo Odeyingbo
Tyquan Lewis

Samson Ebukam

Al'Quadin Muhammad 

Titus Leo

DT:(4)

Deforest Buckner

Grover Stewart

Eric Johsnon II

Adetomiwa Adebawore

LB:(5)

Shaq Leonard

Zaire Franklin

EJ Speed

JoJo Domann

Grant Stuard

CB:(6)

Juju Brents 

Dallis Flowers

Kenny Moore

Darius Rush

Jaylon Jones

Darrell Baker Jr

S:(4)

Rodney Thomas II

Julian Blackmon

Nick Cross

Trevor Denbow

SPT:(3)

K:(1)

Matt Gay

P:(1)

Rigoberto Sanchez

LS:(1)

Luke Rhodes

1 hour ago, Chucklez said:

If so I reckon he ends up there - as is made "active" each week from the PS to be that 3rd spare QB on game days)

Not how that works, they have to be on the Active roster to be the 3rd emergency quarterback.(not count against game actives) Not elevated from practice squad.

https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-owners-pass-proposal-to-allow-teams-to-have-third-qb-active-on-game-days-wit

"Full language of the updated bylaw:

One hour and 30 minutes prior to kickoff, each club is required to establish its Active List for the game by notifying the Referee of the players on its Inactive List for that game. Each club may also designate one emergency third quarterback from its 53-player Active/Inactive List (i.e., elevated players are not eligible for designation) who will be eligible to be activated during the game, if the club's first two quarterbacks on its game day Active List are not able to participate in the game due to injury or disqualification (activation cannot be a result of a head coach's in-game decision to remove a player from the game due to performance or conduct). If either of the injured quarterbacks is cleared by the medical staff to return to play, the emergency third quarterback must be removed from the game and is not permitted to continue to play quarterback or any other position, but is eligible to return to the game to play quarterback if another emergency third quarterback situation arises.

A club is not eligible to use these procedures if it carries three quarterbacks on its game day Active List [47- or 48-players in 2023]."

Now that language is pretty bleak. It doesn't specify how long they have to be on the top 53 list?

Do they just need to be on the active list from the week before?

Need to be from start of season?

Makes the most sense they would need to be on the active list from the week prior?

I really don't know the answer to that question. Will continue to look for the answer, but you can't elevate them from the PS to serve that role in the same week.

Also, if it could happen (it can't), players can only be elevated 3 times in a season. So that would've only worked for 3/17 games.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, w87r said:

Not how that works, they have to be on the Active roster to be the 3rd emergency quarterback.(not count against game actives) Not elevated from practice squad.

https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-owners-pass-proposal-to-allow-teams-to-have-third-qb-active-on-game-days-wit

"Full language of the updated bylaw:

One hour and 30 minutes prior to kickoff, each club is required to establish its Active List for the game by notifying the Referee of the players on its Inactive List for that game. Each club may also designate one emergency third quarterback from its 53-player Active/Inactive List (i.e., elevated players are not eligible for designation) who will be eligible to be activated during the game, if the club's first two quarterbacks on its game day Active List are not able to participate in the game due to injury or disqualification (activation cannot be a result of a head coach's in-game decision to remove a player from the game due to performance or conduct). If either of the injured quarterbacks is cleared by the medical staff to return to play, the emergency third quarterback must be removed from the game and is not permitted to continue to play quarterback or any other position, but is eligible to return to the game to play quarterback if another emergency third quarterback situation arises.

A club is not eligible to use these procedures if it carries three quarterbacks on its game day Active List [47- or 48-players in 2023]."

Now that language is pretty bleak. It doesn't specify how long they have to be on the top 53 list?

Do they just need to be on the active list from the week before?

Need to be from start of season?

Makes the most sense they would need to be on the active list from the week prior?

I really don't know the answer to that question. Will continue to look for the answer, but you can't elevate them from the PS to serve that role in the same week.

Also, if it could happen (it can't), players can only be elevated 3 times in a season. So that would've only worked for 3/17 games.

Thanks for the info, wasnt aware thats how it worked....

In which case, I think Sam is toast. Steichen has no ties or reason to keep him unless he thinks he is clearly better than Minshew... and we need the roster spaces elsewhere. Especially with Dulin going to IR, he was able to fill WR depth and the gunner/ST ace role in one spot.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, w87r said:

The rules are not the same for the qb exception as they are for a typical practice squad spot.  He will be allowed to go into any game if the other two qbs are hurt and he wont take up a roster spot

its actually a good thing for sam, he might have just been cut if not for this.  teams now have a third qb that wont take up a spot

3 minutes ago, BlackTiger said:

The rules are not the same for the qb exception as they are for a typical practice squad spot.  He will be allowed to go into any game if the other two qbs are hurt and he wont take up a roster spot

its actually a good thing for sam, he might have just been cut if not for this

I literally posted the rules above in the post you quoted this from.

He absolutely counts as a roster spot(53) if he is eligible for 3rd QB rule. He doesn't count against the in game active list.

He can't be on the PS and elevated during same week.

The only question which you quoted, is how long do they have to be on the active roster to qualify.

It makes sense that the part of the rule would mean minimum of the week before.

40 minutes ago, w87r said:

He absolutely counts as a roster spot(53) if he is eligible for 3rd QB rule

Guess i missed that.  TBh it makes the new rule seem pointless or not enough to actually help us

I dont think we could win games with sam anyway though