Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Best Players to Wear a Uniform Number

NFLfan

Guess how many Colts are listed? Who are they? (Best NFL player to ever wear #18 is _____________).

There is one Colt player listed that I never heard of. His playing career ended in the late 1990s. Anyone know?

Also: Who is the best NFL player to ever wear #99?

J.J. Watt, Warren Sapp, Jason Taylor, DeForest Buckner, Aaron Donald, Dan Hampton, Mark Gastineau, anyone else?  (Some elite players there!)

https://touchdownwire.usatoday.com/lists/best-nfl-player-jersey-number-tom-brady-aaron-donald/

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Guess how many Colts are listed? Who are they? (Best NFL player to ever wear #18 is _____________).

There is one Colt player listed that I never heard of. His playing career ended in the late 1990s. Anyone know?

J.J. Watt, Warren Sapp, Jason Taylor, DeForest Buckner, Aaron Donald, Dan Hampton, Mark Gastineau, anyone else?  (Some elite players there!)

https://touchdownwire.usatoday.com/lists/best-nfl-player-jersey-number-tom-brady-aaron-donald/

Eugene Daniel was a bright spot on an otherwise disastrous Colts Era.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NFLfan said:

Between Watt and Donald, that is almost a coin flip. I would say Donald by a nose hair but that is tough.

1 hour ago, NFLfan said:

Between Watt and Donald, that is almost a coin flip. I would say Donald by a nose hair but that is tough.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, coltsva said:

As a youngster, I do remember Jim Otto from the early 70's Raiders. What I did not know was all the surgeries and physical issues he suffered during & after his playing days. Amazing what he went through. 

Many players have similar issues.   It's a brutal game

5 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Off the top of my head:

Best #12 is Tom Brady

Best #16 is Joe Montana

Best #18 is Peyton

Best #32 is Jim Brown

Best #22 is Emmitt Smith

Best #80 is Jerry Rice

Best #56 is Lawrence Taylor

Best #21 is Deion Sanders

Best #52 is Ray Lewis

Best #99 is Aaron Donald but JJ Watt is close!

You're missing at least 3 Colts.

11 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Off the top of my head:

Best #12 is Tom Brady

Best #16 is Joe Montana

Best #18 is Peyton

Best #32 is Jim Brown

Best #22 is Emmitt Smith

Best #80 is Jerry Rice

Best #52 is Ray Lewis

The only one there that you did not get was #21. I agree with you; I would pick Deion over the one chosen.

I would pick Paul Krause over Emmitt at #22. :P  I know you are a big fan of Emmitt..

Was your relative a fan of Jim Marshall? He is not in the Hall yet but at least 3 of the Honorable Mentions are in the Hall. Go figure.

11 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Off the top of my head:

Best #12 is Tom Brady

Best #16 is Joe Montana

Best #18 is Peyton

Best #32 is Jim Brown

Best #22 is Emmitt Smith

Best #80 is Jerry Rice

Best #52 is Ray Lewis

#8 Steve Young, my favorite QB of all time, probably because he was a southpaw and elusive on the field. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NFLfan said:

The only one there that you did not get was #21. I agree with you; I would pick Deion over the one chosen.

I would pick Paul Krause over Emmitt at #22. :P  I know you are a big fan of Emmitt..

Was your relative a fan of Jim Marshall? He is not in the Hall yet but at least 3 of the Honorable Mentions are in the Hall. Go figure.

Jim Marshall should be in the Hall of Fame. He did run the wrong way though happy homer simpson GIF

3 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Johnny Unitas #19

Eric Dickerson #29

Marvin Harrison #88

That article has Willie Davis #87. I disagree, I think Reggie Wayne and Travis Kelce were both better.

Robert Mathis is on the list. There was at least another player from the Baltimore Colts teams.

The great Alan Page (Purple People Eaters) was selected for #88.

Willie Davis played well before my time, but I hear he was great.

Anthony Muñoz or Bruce Smith?? I think they are equal in greatness. Bruce Smith was the pick in the article.

The Vikes had many runners up like Paul Krause, Randall McDaniel, Chris Doleman and more. Six Vikings made the list, including Marshall. I know, I know that he ran a ball backwards. haha  That lowlight is hilarious; it happened before I started watching football. 

5 hours ago, NFLfan said:

Robert Mathis is on the list. There was at least another player from the Baltimore Colts teams.

The great Alan Page (Purple People Eaters) was selected for #88.

Willie Davis played well before my time, but I hear he was great.

Anthony Muñoz or Bruce Smith?? I think they are equal in greatness. Bruce Smith was the pick in the article.

The Vikes had many runners up like Paul Krause, Randall McDaniel, Chris Doleman and more. Six Vikings made the list, including Marshall. I know, I know that he ran a ball backwards. haha  That lowlight is hilarious; it happened before I started watching football. 

Smith was chosen because he is the all-time sacks leader and played in 4 SB's. I can see why they chose him. Personally I would take Munoz because IMO he is the best LT to ever play this game. I consider Larry Allen may be the best overall O.Lineman ever but he played both Tackle and Guard. Munoz was a pure LT.

3 hours ago, holeymoley99 said:

No love for special team players, Justin Tucker best kicker in NFL history not even honorable mention ? Wow 

Tucker is great but Adam Vinatieri is the GOAT. The Simpsons GIF by KiwiGo (KGO) He has 4 rings and in every BIG playoff games he played in he was one of the reason's why his team won. We don't beat the Ravens without him in 2006, he also had 2 game winning FG's with the Pats in 2001 and 2003 = Super Bowls. The kick he made in the snow/wind vs the Raiders (2001 playoff game) to tie the game from 45 yards was the best kick I have ever seen. It was the conditions and the importance of that kick which made it the best.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Tucker is great but Adam Vinatieri is the GOAT. The Simpsons GIF by KiwiGo (KGO) He has 4 rings and in every BIG playoff games he played in he was one of the reason's why his team won. We don't beat the Ravens without him in 2006, he also had 2 game winning FG's with the Pats in 2001 and 2003 = Super Bowls. The kick he made in the snow/wind vs the Raiders (2001 playoff game) to tie the game from 45 yards was the best kick I have ever seen. It was the conditions and the importance of that kick which made it the best.

Tucker has the best fg % all time AND also has the longest fg in history so the argument of accuracy vs length goes out the window because finally the same guy has both records. His makes over 50 yards unparalleled, Vinny in his prime was very very good and top 5 for sure BUT Tucker the best and may hold that title for many years to follow.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, holeymoley99 said:

Tucker has the best fg % all time AND also has the longest fg in history so the argument of accuracy vs length goes out the window because finally the same guy has both records. His makes over 50 yards unparalleled, Vinny in his prime was very very good and top 5 for sure BUT Tucker the best and may hold that title for many years to follow.

If you go by % I have no leg to stand on but if I needed 1 kick in the playoffs to save my life, give me Prime Vinny.

2 hours ago, Lancer1 said:

Ryan Tannehill? No wait, Josh Allen, LOL! :P

chuckling homer simpson GIF

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

If you go by % I have no leg to stand on but if I needed 1 kick in the playoffs to save my life, give me Prime Vinny.

I would tend to agree - heck his kick that tied the famed "Tuck Rule" Divisional playoff game in Brady's 2nd season and first as a starter was a 45 yarder in the snow with less than a minute remaining, then he won it with a 23 yarder. The Pats beat the Rams in SB XXXVI that year and the rest as they say, is history!

• Like 2

I agree with Peyton Manning.

I agree that Reggie Wayne & Travis Kelce are both better than the one named.

5 hours ago, Lancer1 said:

I would tend to agree - heck his kick that tied the famed "Tuck Rule" Divisional playoff game in Brady's 2nd season and first as a starter was a 45 yarder in the snow with less than a minute remaining, then he won it with a 23 yarder. The Pats beat the Rams in SB XXXVI that year and the rest as they say, is history!

I concur.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

chuckling homer simpson GIF

What if that kick to save your life was over 50 yards ?   Vinny who only made 45 of 72 or Tucker who has made 57 of 80 ? Vinny played twice as many games yet had less attempts at long distance and worse % (62.3 to 71.2).

What is the kicker is over 40 ? Tucker is #1 all time, Vinny is not top 5

Tucker is the most clutch kicker in NFL history 95.4 % in 2nd half and overtime. 

Tucker is the only player with multiple 60 yard plus to win the game or take the lead.

Below are some numbers showing how far ahead of everyone he is. Vinny makes just a single list and down at 5. The numbers are staggering.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/justin-tucker-by-the-numbers-ravens-kicker-is-most-clutch-kicker-in-nfl-history-and-on-pace-to-be-best-ever/

• Like 1

7 hours ago, holeymoley99 said:

What if that kick to save your life was over 50 yards ?   Vinny who only made 45 of 72 or Tucker who has made 57 of 80 ? Vinny played twice as many games yet had less attempts at long distance and worse % (62.3 to 71.2).

Tucker is the most clutch kicker in NFL history 95.4 % in 2nd half and overtime. 

Tucker is the only player with multiple 60 yard plus to win the game or take the lead.

Below are some numbers showing how far ahead of everyone he is. Vinny makes just a single list and down at 5. The numbers are staggering.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/justin-tucker-by-the-numbers-ravens-kicker-is-most-clutch-kicker-in-nfl-history-and-on-pace-to-be-best-ever/

I get % wise that Tucker is the best, but in the playoffs/SBs when Vinny was in his prime he made the biggest clutch kicks in NFL history. That can't be ignored.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

They're gonna rate Alan Faneca above the immortal Ray Nitschke?

They took Ladainian Tomlinson over Deion Sanders to wear #21. Although great, Tomlinson isn't even a Top 5 RB of all-time. Deion Sanders is the best Cover Corner ever to live + a great PR as well. I think someone had a brain fart there. 

• Like 3

17 hours ago, holeymoley99 said:

They are both great. I believe that those who are not Colts, Pats, and Ravens fans would most likely select Tucker. Tucker has not had as many opportunities in the Super Bowl as Vinatieri. You cannot take away AV's Super Bowl achievements but as for more gifted, Tucker probably would be the pick for most. Both are great -- I wish I had one of them.

The list needs a punter. Too bad Ray Guy's number was #8. Steve Young was the pick and all would agree.

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

They took Ladainian Tomlinson over Deion Sanders to wear #21. Although great, Tomlinson isn't even a Top 5 RB of all-time. Deion Sanders is the best Cover Corner ever to live + a great PR as well. I think someone had a brain fart there. 

I love Revis but I would have chosen Charles Woodson over Revis at #24.

On 7/1/2023 at 11:32 AM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Off the top of my head:

Best #12 is Tom Brady

Best #16 is Joe Montana

Best #18 is Peyton

Best #32 is Jim Brown

Best #22 is Emmitt Smith

Best #80 is Jerry Rice

Best #52 is Ray Lewis

Best #4 is Adam Vinatieri, Favre had more longevity than clutch factor when compared to Vinatieri, IMO, Vinatieri had both. That’s my reasoning.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Tomlinson isn't even a Top 5 RB of all-time

He might not make your list, but his achievements are well within the realm of being top 5. One of the most well rounded backs to ever play.

3rd all time in total TDs(2nd highest RB)

3rd all time in most receptions by a RB

7th all time in rush yards

10th all time in receiving yards by RB

6th all time in yards from scrimmage(5th highest RB)

#5 on football reference HoF rating

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/hof/hofm_RB.htm

• Like 1

6 hours ago, NFLfan said:

They are both great. I believe that those who are not Colts, Pats, and Ravens fans would most likely select Tucker. Tucker has not had as many opportunities in the Super Bowl as Vinatieri. You cannot take away AV's Super Bowl achievements but as for more gifted, Tucker probably would be the pick for most. Both are great -- I wish I had one of them.

The list needs a punter. Too bad Ray Guy's number was #8. Steve Young was the pick and all would agree.

I love Revis but I would have chosen Charles Woodson over Revis at #24.

Agreed remove the Colts,Pats,Ravens fans and Tucker is the overwhelming pick based on far superior numbers. As you said Tucker hasnt had the opportunities because hasnt play for as many gifted teams.  Vinny will go down as top 5 by many,Tucker will go down as #1 by the majority.

On 7/1/2023 at 7:51 PM, NFLfan said:

Just read the article up to #18, LOL... 

Considering that Cutler, Watson and Carr got honorable mention, Justin Jefferson could've been mentioned as well... 

Have to say, as usual, the list is more skewed in favor of QBs. Would've had Davantae Adams at #17.. At least, the list isn't all about who won more trophies. 

Too bad lot of great QBs had #12. 

18 hours ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

Have to say, as usual, the list is more skewed in favor of QBs. Would've had Davantae Adams at #17.. At least, the list isn't all about who won more trophies. 

I am a huge fan of #17, since his days at NC State.  I don't think Adams is greater. At least, not yet.

• Like 1