Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Best Players to Wear a Uniform Number

NFLfan

20 hours ago, w87r said:

He might not make your list, but his achievements are well within the realm of being top 5. One of the most well rounded backs to ever play.

3rd all time in total TDs(2nd highest RB)

3rd all time in most receptions by a RB

7th all time in rush yards

10th all time in receiving yards by RB

6th all time in yards from scrimmage(5th highest RB)

#5 on football reference HoF rating

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/hof/hofm_RB.htm

Also, like the late, great Walter Payton, LaDainian was quite adept at passing, catching defenders totally off guard while doing so. For his career Tomlinson had 8 completions out of 12 attempts, for a 66.7 percentage, 7 touchdowns and no interceptions.
Payton by comparison, was 11 out of 34 for a 32.4 percentage, with 8 touchdowns and 6 picks.

22 hours ago, chad72 said:

Best #4 is Adam Vinatieri, Favre had more longevity than clutch factor when compared to Vinatieri, IMO, Vinatieri had both. That’s my reasoning.

I would still have Favre being the best #4 but Adam is right there :thmup:. @holeymoley99,

Adam Vinatieri kicked for 24 seasons, Tucker has kicked for 11 seasons. Of course Tucker and many others are going to have a higher %. Mike Vanderjagt at one time was the NFL leader in % in his career and he isn't near the kicker that Adam was when it counted. % is only 1 measure of how great a kicker is/was. Adam is 31st in % all-time and there isn't 1 person that would not have him at least top 5. I factor in, clutch playoff kicks just as much as %, Tucker or any kicker has had more than Adam has when it comes to that.

If Tucker kicks for 24 seasons, lets see what his % is by then. I would almost guarantee it won't be 90%. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, w87r said:

He might not make your list, but his achievements are well within the realm of being top 5. One of the most well rounded backs to ever play.

3rd all time in total TDs(2nd highest RB)

3rd all time in most receptions by a RB

7th all time in rush yards

10th all time in receiving yards by RB

6th all time in yards from scrimmage(5th highest RB)

#5 on football reference HoF rating

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/hof/hofm_RB.htm

Like I said Tomlinson was great but on most credible lists done by NFL analysts and even fans he doesn't make the Top 5. He isn't better than Brown, Smith, Payton, or Sanders on any list I have ever seen. That leaves 1 spot. If someone wanted to put him 5, I guess they would have an argument. Do you really think he was better than Dickerson or even Peterson though? I don't and many don't. 

Also, bottom line is Deion Sanders was clearly #1 at his position = CB, so him not being the best #21 of all-time baffles me?? He alone was a huge difference maker in the 49ers winning it all in 1994, getting by the Cowboys. Then the Cowboys steal him away from the 49ers in 1995 and then they win it all.

34 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Like I said Tomlinson was great but on most credible lists done by NFL analysts and even fans he doesn't make the Top 5. He isn't better than Brown, Smith, Payton, or Sanders on any list I have ever seen. That leaves 1 spot. If someone wanted to put him 5, I guess they would have an argument. Do you really think he was better than Dickerson or even Peterson though? I don't and many don't. 

Also, bottom line is Deion Sanders was clearly #1 at his position = CB, so him not being the best #21 of all-time baffles me?? He alone was a huge difference maker in the 49ers winning it all in 1994, getting by the Cowboys. Then the Cowboys steal him away from the 49ers in 1995 and then they win it all.

I could make a case for John Hadl, the Chargers quarterback who threw to Hall of Famer Lance Alworth. :number1:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Deion was a great cover corner with World class speed, but I wouldn't say he was #1 at his position because when you look at all the different things that a cornerback is tasked with doing, covering wideouts is only 1 of many - CBs & safeties are also tasked occasional blitzes to sack QBs, and at times taking down RBs on running plays. Rod Woodson, Rodney Harrison, Darrelle Revis & Charles Woodson were all more complete defensive backs, and I'm sure I'm leaving out quite a few other worthy candidates. If simply covering wideouts  was a cornerback's only responsibility, I'd concede that he was one of if not the best to ever do it but as a complete defender and sure tackler, he trails many of his predecessors, peers & successors. For his career, Sanders only had 1 sack & 4 tackles for loss, where as Rod had 13.5 sacks and 10 TFLs, Rodney got 30.5 sacks, 40 TFLs & 10 QB hits, Darrelle accumulated 2 and 9 TFLs,  while Charles racked up 20 sacks, 54 TFLs and an impressive 21 QB hits.