Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Niner's QB ???

sb41champs

8 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I wouldn’t rule out Sam Darnold.   The early buzz on him is said to be very good. 

Correct... As the system is QB friendly, and run game doesn't require QB to do much heroics, not to mention very good defense, it's a QB's dream place to start.

As Purdy seems to need time to get healthy, word is that Darnold should start. If he can't play well there too, his NFL career would be in jeopardy. If he does well enough to keep them in play-off race, There will be some positive headache to worry about what to do with all those QBs.

I think @NFLfan has expressed good faith in Darnold in the past, I don't think too highly of him but he could be serviceable. 

Let's see if Darnold can stay off from the QB injury curse that's in SFO. 

3 hours ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

Correct... As the system is QB friendly, and run game doesn't require QB to do much heroics, not to mention very good defense, it's a QB's dream place to start.

As Purdy seems to need time to get healthy, word is that Darnold should start. If he can't play well there too, his NFL career would be in jeopardy. If he does well enough to keep them in play-off race, There will be some positive headache to worry about what to do with all those QBs.

I think @NFLfan has expressed good faith in Darnold in the past, I don't think too highly of him but he could be serviceable. 

Let's see if Darnold can stay off from the QB injury curse that's in SFO. 

Yes, I like Darnold. I think he would succeed with Shanahan. He needs a stable situation. He has not had it. 

I would love it if the Vikings could trade Kirk for Darnold and a draft pick. I'm not sure about Lance, as he may make too much money and he is coming off a major injury. The 49ers are good enough that they could possibly win a championship with Kirk. The good part about Kirk is that he never misses time with an injury. But, the Vikings need to rebuild and could use a young QB whose salary is low.

1 hour ago, NFLfan said:

Yes, I like Darnold. I think he would succeed with Shanahan. He needs a stable situation. He has not had it. 

I would love it if the Vikings could trade Kirk for Darnold and a draft pick. I'm not sure about Lance, as he may make too much money and he is coming off a major injury. The 49ers are good enough that they could possibly win a championship with Kirk. The good part about Kirk is that he never misses time with an injury. But, the Vikings need to rebuild and could use a young QB whose salary is low.

Personally, I think Sam Darnold stinks whos your daddy dancing GIF

18 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I wouldn’t rule out Sam Darnold.   The early buzz on him is said to be very good. 

That sound you heard was my jaw dropping to the floor!!

I had forgotten about Sam Darnold - BUT - given the "King's Ransom" that the Niner's gave up to get Trey Lance - I don't know HOW they choose Darnold over Lance.

BUT - time will tell - and - it would be very very telling as to whether the Niner's made one of the biggest "whiffs" in the NFL draft history in Trey Lance.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

UPDATE:  Brock Purdy has been fully cleared to begin training camp practices.

It will be VERY interesting to see if Purdy ends up the 2023 starter instead of Trey Lance - whom the Niners paid a kings ransom for the opportunity to draft.

• 2 weeks later...

Purdy should get the nod honestly for the start of the season if he's healthy. He earned it. 

I don't know what to make of Trey Lance. They gave up a lot to get him and don't really have much to show for it. Plus he hasn't given other teams enough tape to increase his capital. That situation is kind of a mess... Or maybe it's a blessing for the 49ers? 

On 6/27/2023 at 6:47 PM, Peter Nova said:

B. Purdy if he's healthy. AdamShefter reported on the P. McAfee Show last week there was no trade market for T. Lance. 

No surprise there.

They paid a "kings ransom" for Trey Lance and have gotten bupkis in return.  It honestly wouldn't surprise me if they cut Trey Lance.

• Like 1

On 6/27/2023 at 5:23 PM, sb41champs said:

SO - which QB do you think will start for the San Francisco 49ers the majority of the upcoming season?

Brock Purdy

Trey Lance

Purdy.

Why did you not include Sam Darnold? He has a chance to start too.

Lance has not done anything to merit the start. Has he played in any games? Darnold has played in many games but he needs better coaching. 

On 8/13/2023 at 9:38 AM, NFLfan said:

Purdy.

Why did you not include Sam Darnold? He has a chance to start too.

Lance has not done anything to merit the start. Has he played in any games? Darnold has played in many games but he needs better coaching. 

Honestly - I think that "super bust" Trey Lance is on his way out the door.

Brock Purdy starts and Sam Darnold is the backup - in my humble opinion.

49 minutes ago, sb41champs said:

Personally - I think he gets cut - because it's already been reported that there is absolutely no trade market for him.

He is very young. 23 or so. Some team will pick him up.

A Vikings fans wrote that Lance has very little experience. He reportedly has fewer than 600 passes in college and the NFL.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/15/2023 at 4:36 PM, NFLfan said:

He is very young. 23 or so. Some team will pick him up.

A Vikings fans wrote that Lance has very little experience. He reportedly has fewer than 600 passes in college and the NFL.

Late reply but you are correct. Lance had just over 300 pass attempts in college, and only 99 in high school. What's more, they were against bad competition. He played at NDSU, not exactly a powerhouse school in a good conference.

I think the big issue with Lance (like with most QBs who bust) is circumstance. He got injured and never recovered from that. But it didn't help that Shanahan never created an offense that played to his strengths. Shanahan tried to force him into a scheme that didn't really fit him. Now it's not only Shanahan's fault because Lance had some serious improvements he had to make. I know people said AR was raw but Lance is actually raw. No experience and no mechanics at all. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, IndyScribe said:

I know people said AR was raw but Lance is actually raw. No experience and no mechanics at all. 

Good post above. Richardson looks a lot more poised than Lance. Lance needed more time in college. Did he succeed Wentz at North Dakota State?

4 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Good post above. Richardson looks a lot more poised than Lance. Lance needed more time in college. Did he succeed Wentz at North Dakota State?

No, Wentz was drafted in 2016 and Lance played at NDSU from 2018-2020. Not a North Dakota State fan so I couldn't tell you who played between 2016-2018. Lance definitely needed more time in college. I remember he had that one ridiculous season where he went 42 TDs:0ints (against bad competition of course) and everyone was hyping him up. Then it was the Covid year and he sat out. 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Dingus McGirt said:

Anyone calling for the 49’ers GM to be sacked over the Trey Lance fiasco?  Three 1st round picks for that bust.

And a 3rd.

But no, Lynch is safe. Think he has earned some leeway.

4 hours ago, Dingus McGirt said:

Anyone calling for the 49’ers GM to be sacked over the Trey Lance fiasco?  Three 1st round picks for that bust.

He isn’t a bust. Unfortunate circumstances that have been no fault of his own. He got that starting job last year and got injured. Then got Wally pipped by Purdy. Then add he doesn’t fit what Kyle wants to do.  Hopefully he lands on his feet.

22 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

He isn’t a bust. Unfortunate circumstances that have been no fault of his own. He got that starting job last year and got injured. Then got Wally pipped by Purdy. Then add he doesn’t fit what Kyle wants to do.  Hopefully he lands on his feet.

LOL.  Nah.  He’s a bust.  Zero return on the investment.

23 hours ago, Dingus McGirt said:

Name a GM that is perfect. Did that trade set the franchise back? Nope! A SB, a couple conference championships with a lot of talent to go along with a consistent top 5 defense, and potential franchise QB in Purdy during Lynch's 6 seasons. The continues to look bright in 49er land. 

9 minutes ago, Peter Nova said:

Name a GM that is perfect. Did that trade set the franchise back? Nope! A SB, a couple conference championships with a lot of talent to go along with a consistent top 5 defense, and potential franchise QB in Purdy during Lynch's 6 seasons. The continues to look bright in 49er land. 

49ers are well ran but I am not sold on Purdy. 7 good-great games is a small sample size. Lynch has built well in other area's. Had we had the same success as them since 2019, there would still be fans that would be critical of Ballard and our team. Reason being = no SuperBowl wins. A lot of people in here are enamored by what the Titans accomplished between 2019-2021 in those 3 years, we accomplished just as much from 2012-2014 with Luck and many were critical of the Colts, hardly giving them any credit and we had to deal with the Patriots. We set the bar so high with Peyton is why IMO. Until the Colts won a SB with Peyton, we were called chokers and look at how that core dominated for years even before we won it all. 

40 minutes ago, Peter Nova said:

Just a question…thanks!

On 8/25/2023 at 7:39 PM, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Lance just got traded to the cowboys for a 4th round pick.

I watched a bit of ESPN, which I usually do not do.   They were talking bad talking bad about jerry Jones for not talking to Prescott before the trade.  

Why would he do that?   He traded for a backup QB.