Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

TE over Guard?

compuls1v3

19 minutes ago, compuls1v3 said:

https://www.colts.com/news/kaden-smith-tight-end-signed-harris-lachance-guard-waived

I wonder what this means about our current group of TE's and Guards.  Maybe they feel comfortable with who we have at Guard??  Seems strange to me.  

The guard had no Lachance to make the team.

The only guard this says anything about is Lachance.

1 hour ago, compuls1v3 said:

https://www.colts.com/news/kaden-smith-tight-end-signed-harris-lachance-guard-waived

I wonder what this means about our current group of TE's and Guards.  Maybe they feel comfortable with who we have at Guard??  Seems strange to me.  

I wouldn't read too much into this.  Neither guy is gonna have any chance to start.  It's more like, which guy has marginally better athleticism to maybe make the practice squad as a special teams player.  Maybe.

Exchanging 1 camp body for another. Still think MAC gets dealt for a late pick to a TE need squad. Woods and Granson a nice 1-2,if Ogletree is back and in form we saw last season he is the 3 over Mallory. P Brown is the blocking TE and in at 4

I’m often curious when these moves are made and wonder about the cut player. My guess is there is a board 1 to whatever number they can keep say 90 The guy cut is he 90 as the relationship between his position (guard) and tight end are not intertwined Becomes another camp body or maybe competition that the guard was not going to be within his group.

Signing a TE at this point is NOT a sign that the Colts value signing a TE over a good solid O-lineman,  either guard or tackle.  

The Colts will sign a lineman when the player(s) are ready to sign a deal.   They may want more than the Colts are willing to pay.   Or, they may want to play for a team that stands a better chance at making the playoffs.   Lots of factors going into the decision of who to sign and when do they sign.  

By the way,  Smith is a decent player.   He was once a top-3 ranked tight end in high school.   Played well at Stanford.  I think he was drafted later than expected, 6th round.   I think the reason was a problematic knee.   And I’d guess it’s the knee that made the Giants cut him.   So, I’d say he’s decent but limited.

I wouldn't put too much into the signing of players when the team is trying to put together a 90 man roster.  It's going to be non stop between now and the start of season. The team signing a TE has zero to do with the team signing a guard. 

15 hours ago, AKB said:

he definitely played some RG, and was absolutely garbage. 

To be honest that was my initial memory as well. I checked his snap counts and they all show at tackle, so maybe they just got it wrong. Also remember we moved Braden to guard for one game -- maybe the Denver game? -- and maybe Pryor was at RT and not RG? 

But you might be right. Ultimately, we agree, Pryor was terrible. I wonder what happened with him. I think he said he lost weight over the offseason to try to be a little quicker, maybe his body composition was the problem. But such a drastic drop off in one season is really strange.

2 hours ago, Superman said:

To be honest that was my initial memory as well. I checked his snap counts and they all show at tackle, so maybe they just got it wrong. Also remember we moved Braden to guard for one game -- maybe the Denver game? -- and maybe Pryor was at RT and not RG? 

But you might be right. Ultimately, we agree, Pryor was terrible. I wonder what happened with him. I think he said he lost weight over the offseason to try to be a little quicker, maybe his body composition was the problem. But such a drastic drop off in one season is really strange.

he was at RG he got hit by multiple twists with Braden to the right of him. I'd have to go back to find the games, but I believe it was more than one. 

He was getting absolutely roasted on the forum. 

here's a game with him at RG. 

17 minutes ago, AKB said:

he was at RG he got hit by multiple twists with Braden to the right of him. I'd have to go back to find the games, but I believe it was more than one. 

He was getting absolutely roasted on the forum. 

here's a game with him at RG. 

Yup, you're right. Here's the PFR snap count link for that game, showing Pryor at tackle for 61 snaps. https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/202210230oti.htm#all_home_snap_counts 

20 minutes ago, Superman said:

Yup, you're right. Here's the PFR snap count link for that game, showing Pryor at tackle for 61 snaps. https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/202210230oti.htm#all_home_snap_counts 

if I remember correctly, he was at RG for more than one game. But I am not entirely sure. I vividly remember him getting beat by the same stunt on the right side like 3x in one game

The off-season rosters include 90 players - and - will be constantly changing all the way thru the game 1 kickoff.

I don't read too much in to who is added or subtracted at this time of year.

The Colts are all about adding competition at every position this off-season.

Looks like Washington is going to release former all pro guard Andrew Norwell any day now.  He is 31 and started 16 games for Washington last year.  He was injured for the last game but is now healthy.  He was their starting LG but if he can also play RG.  He would be a nice veteran addition I would think.  This is a cap saving move for them along with trying to get younger on the starting OL.  He was going to make around 5m this year and he only committed four penalties last year.  Hope we check him out.

16 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Looks like Washington is going to release former all pro guard Andrew Norwell any day now.  He is 31 and started 16 games for Washington last year.  He was injured for the last game but is now healthy.  He was their starting LG but if he can also play RG.  He would be a nice veteran addition I would think.  This is a cap saving move for them along with trying to get younger on the starting OL.  He was going to make around 5m this year and he only committed four penalties last year.  Hope we check him out.

He is on the Reserve Pup list

He will be released once he can pass a physical.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/05/30/report-commanders-will-release-andrew-norwell-after-he-passes-a-physical/

So not healthy right now, would be a good pick up though once he is.

36 minutes ago, w87r said:

He is on the Reserve Pup list

He will be released once he can pass a physical.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/05/30/report-commanders-will-release-andrew-norwell-after-he-passes-a-physical/

So not healthy right now, would be a good pick up though once he is.

Yup.  I read a similar report that made it sound like passing the physical is just a formality right now.  Hope he passes.

10 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Yup.  I read a similar report that made it sound like passing the physical is just a formality right now.  Hope he passes.

Yeah, I think it is a formality, but I don't think it is imminent at the moment.

Just whenever he can pass it. 

I would think if it was going to be within next couple days they would've just kept his roster status the same. Who knows though maybe they really wanted that roster spot for a couple days.?

He would be a really good addition to the line for the right money.

6 minutes ago, w87r said:

Yeah, I think it is a formality, but I don't think it is imminent at the moment.

Just whenever he can pass it. 

I would think if it was going to be within next couple days they would've just kept his roster status the same. Who knows though maybe they really wanted that roster spot for a couple days.?

He would be a really good addition to the line for the right money.

I think they can do an injury settlement based on his roster designation, maybe that's the reason. Passing a physical is subjective anyway.

He hasn't been all that great in recent years, but I'd take him as competitive depth at guard.

17 minutes ago, Superman said:

I think they can do an injury settlement based on his roster designation, maybe that's the reason. Passing a physical is subjective anyway.

He hasn't been all that great in recent years, but I'd take him as competitive depth at guard.

He has $1m guaranteed for injury this year.

Wouldn't think that would be too big a number to blink at, but they only l have $2.8m in cap space, so they can use that extra $1m.

32 minutes ago, w87r said:

He has $1m guaranteed for injury this year.

Wouldn't think that would be too big a number to blink at, but they only l have $2.8m in cap space, so they can use that extra $1m.

It's the Commanders... They're probably trying to get him to pay back his vending machine credits.

Archived