Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Andrew Luck being sued by trading card company

chad72

Another frivolous lawsuit. And just when Luck is about to hit the jackpot...imagine that. :rolleyes:

Sigh...its Luck's laywers that are calling the cease and desist.

The trading card company is sueing to protect millions of dollars of product that has been shipped an is already on the shelves.

Since the cards are randomly distributed in packs of cards that are in sealed boxes, sets and promotional packs...they'd have to destroy everything they shipped for that year, reprint it all, repackage and reship. It would cost them in the tens of millions. better to sue luck.

The trading card company is sueing to protect millions of dollars of product that has been shipped an is already on the shelves.

Since the cards are randomly distributed in packs of cards that are in sealed boxes, sets and promotional packs...they'd have to destroy everything they shipped for that year, reprint it all, repackage and reship. It would cost them in the tens of millions. better to sue luck.

I would imagine damages would be financial, not specific performance and that the cease and desist is from this point forward.

If the parties can't agree, this is probably the best way to do it.

..............Oh sigh............................OK!

I really don't care either way. Just more millionaires suing another soon to be millionaire.

Sorry can't agree with you there. I used to work in printing and the cost it costs us to re-print and re-ship is fractions of a penny. Printing especially paper cards is very cheap. The most expensive part is the sorting and collation.

The bigger issue is that if the trading card company purchased the rights through the NCAA to use the images. If they did then unfortunately lucks camp doesn't have a leg to stand on...

Sorry can't agree with you there. I used to work in printing and the cost it costs us to re-print and re-ship is fractions of a penny. Printing especially paper cards is very cheap. The most expensive part is the sorting and collation.

The bigger issue is that if the trading card company purchased the rights through the NCAA to use the images. If they did then unfortunately lucks camp doesn't have a leg to stand on...

Fraction of a penny perhaps in teh 80s...Now relic inserts cost at the minimum .36 cents per card to make since they contain memorabilia that is cut up and inserted into the cards. Autograph cards have additional cost since they are pulled out of the line and sent of to be signed and inserted later. So the logistics of pulling an entire line of trading cards would be catestrophic since those cards would need to be retrieved and reinserted.

I think bava has it right the suit will mean no further production of the cards and monetary damages.

It appears that they're suing to get injunctive relief at this point. Basically to get a judge to say it's okay to keep selling them. Or they could just keep selling them and see if Andrew really wants to file a lawsuit. They can't be suing Andrew for damages because there are no damages.

Fraction of a penny perhaps in teh 80s...Now relic inserts cost at the minimum .36 cents per card to make since they contain memorabilia that is cut up and inserted into the cards. Autograph cards have additional cost since they are pulled out of the line and sent of to be signed and inserted later. So the logistics of pulling an entire line of trading cards would be catestrophic since those cards would need to be retrieved and reinserted.

There are VERY few on card autos anymore.

I think bava has it right the suit will mean no further production of the cards and monetary damages.

I didn't see anywhere where they were "special cards" so I cannot attest to that but I can attest to the fact that lenticular (specialized plastic) printing costs on average about .13 per unit and that's ink on both sides.

With regards to autograph cards I have done those as well. Again, they are just dropped in randomly during the coallation process. Most production houses like that have more than 1 line operating so if you know that the autographed/special cards are in line 6 of your twelve lines, you shut down that line and create the new logarithm for 1 less line.

I do however agree with you that Bav is right no more cards.

I must say that I always hated dealing with so many versions when it comes to trading cards. Talk about a headache. . . . .oye

Mo' money, mo' problems...

That's 100% OZOCo1. You know you are now famous when everybody comes out of the woodwork to serve you with large punitive settlement papers by Plaintiffs crying about diminished earning capacity. I should have gone to law school & acquired a degree in entertainment law. Oh well, money doesn't alleviate all problems I guess...