Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Nathaniel Hackett FIRED

adubb84

6 minutes ago, ColtV said:

As bad as the Colts have been, and as dysfunctional as they've looked...it's nothing compared to the whole dumpster fire they have going

Very true. They’re in a more precarious situation because they are tied at the hip to a QB they’ve invested a BUNCH of money and draft picks into. Imagine a situation where a new head coach comes in and benches Wilson. Then you would have to cut him as that relationship would be tattered. Holy dead cap hit Batman. 

2 minutes ago, adubb84 said:

Very true. They’re in a more precarious situation because they are tired at the hip to a QB they’ve invested a BUNCH of money and draft picks into. Imagine a situation where a new head coach comes in and benches Wilson. Then you would have to cut him as that relationship would be tattered. Holy dead cap hit Batman. 

and Noah Fant

6 minutes ago, MB-ColtsFan said:

Expectations for any new guy coming in would realistically have to be pretty low.  Just having a winning season would be a huge plus for that organization.  They are a hot mess.

That’s a tough go to be a Broncos fan at this moment. Go through QB purgatory for years. “Think” you got your guy in Wilson just for him to play worse than Drew Lock. I’d be sick to stomach. What the heck do you do?

2 minutes ago, adubb84 said:

That’s a tough go to be a Broncos fan at this moment. Go through QB purgatory for years. “Think” you got your guy in Wilson just for him to play worse than Drew Lock. I’d be sick to stomach. What the heck do you do?

Some complain about Ballard but thank goodness we don't have Elway. 

26 minutes ago, adubb84 said:

Brutal. In season first year firing. That makes 3 open spots (panthers, broncos, Colts). Wonder what the most intriguing destination is….

There is so much instability and turnover on the Broncos. They need to stick with a QB or coach for 3 years. Give them a chance. This is reminiscent of the Browns. I prefer what the Steelers and Raven do -- show confidence in those you hire. 

Anyway...

43 minutes ago, adubb84 said:

Brutal. In season first year firing. That makes 3 open spots (panthers, broncos, Colts). Wonder what the most intriguing destination is….

Was it his his fault they traded for wilson? Is it his fault Wilson played awful?

I haven't watched Broncos this year so I don't know if the firing is warranted or not and maybe Hackett is a scapegoat. 

But the Broncos & chiefs are really the only teams in the division that will probably ever go far so the organization needs to right the ship.

Just now, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Was it his his fault they traded for wilson? Is it his fault Wilson played awful?

Wilson was playing great before going there. He looks like a third-string QB now. Also, Wilson is not the whole team. They are getting blown out. 

28 minutes ago, adubb84 said:

Things could be.worse for Broncos fans, they could be colt fans instead and probably still have ballard. haha

Broncos LB Randy Gregory sucker-punching Rams guard Oday Aboushi after that shellacking probably didn't help Hackett's cause, it showed a complete lack of class & discipline although Gregory has been a problem child with the other teams he was on before, most notably Dallas.

56 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Maybe a little too premature but is Watson going to sink the Browns? He honestly hasn't looked very good at all.  

If he plays like this next year with a full off season under his belt, absolutely The Browns will be sunk and fair or not, would have deserved it for such an outlier of a contract and all those first rounders given up.

33 minutes ago, Myles said:

Wilson is more confusing than Ryan.   I thought both would play good but thought Wilson would play near great.  

Thats the thing. On the surface, the casual fan sees the box score and end results. But if you look beyond it, the fans of a team know what’s ailing their star QB. Word was RW was on the downside of his abilities and the Seahawks knew it, just like the Falcons were fine to eat all that cap space for 1 year for a third round pick for Ryan whose arm and abilities were on the downside too.

Yes the top staff and management of Broncos and Colts failed to see RW and Ryan operating in less than perfect conditions and the Seahawks and Falcons knew better, IMO. Now here they both are though the Colts came out better with a less impactful price to pay than the Broncos w.r.t the contract and draft picks.

22 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

I will eat crow and say I was very very wrong. I advocated big time for Ballard to go after Wilson. It looks like he is falling off a cliff hard, and potentially his greatness in Seattle was a lot to do with coaching as well. 

I was wrong too.

With Geno Smith now playing at a pro bowl level, it seems maybe it was more system than Russell Wilson.  

28 minutes ago, Lancer1 said:

Broncos LB Randy Gregory sucker-punching Rams guard Oday Aboushi after that shellacking probably didn't help Hackett's cause, it showed a complete lack of class & discipline although Gregory has been a problem child with the other teams he was on before, most notably Dallas.

I did not hear about that. Do you have a link? 

I did not even know that Gregory was on the Broncos. 

How has Surtain done? That was a guy I wanted the Vikings to draft.

It's amazing that he was just an outright disaster as a head coach this year, he was the Bills' OC for a couple of years and wasn't that bad in all honesty. He was able to make our offense, lead by EJ Manuel, Jeff Tuel, Thad Lewis, and then Kyle Orton look semi-competent (this was when our most talented players on offense Fred Jackson/CJ Spiller at RB, Stevie Johnson as a #1 WR, and then Sammy Watkins was drafted the year after).

The only time I needed the Broncos to do much of anything this year was if they somehow pulled out a win against the Chiefs (and had they done that I would have not laughed at them or anything for a while), but I guess Santa's got limits on what can be considered gifts this holiday season.

2 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

I haven't watched Broncos this year so I don't know if the firing is warranted or not and maybe Hackett is a scapegoat. 

But the Broncos & chiefs are really the only teams in the division that will probably ever go far so the organization needs to right the ship.

My wife’s a Broncos fan so I saw a good amount of their games. Hackett was already in over his head early in the season. Russel playing like junk only exacerbated the situation which hindered some of his ability to grow as a coach. The talent wasn’t there to help cover up the inefficiencies unfortunately  

17 hours ago, adubb84 said:

My wife’s a Broncos fan so I saw a good amount of their games. Hackett was already in over his head early in the season. Russel playing like junk only exacerbated the situation which hindered some of his ability to grow as a coach. The talent wasn’t there to help cover up the inefficiencies unfortunately  

You and your wife had not enjoyed good seasons. In addition to Hackett, other coaches were fired.

I also read that the interim job was offered to their DC but he declined it. 

Perhaps the new ownership group didn't realize that it takes more than a season to play well when you've added an entirely new coaching staff and many many new players who have never played together before.

Don't know if Hackett would have been successful - if given more time - but - less than a full season seems questionable in my humble opinion.

Archived