Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Matt and Parris are building a quick relationship.

Bolt Colt

Colts' Matt Ryan, Parris Campbell building quick rapport---Kevin Hickey 

Entering his fourth season, the Indianapolis Colts are hoping wide receiver Parris Campbell can stay on the field enough to make an impact with new quarterback Matt Ryan taking over the offense.

Pretty obvious chemistry thus far. Got to stay healthy though to build on things. 

I'm not really worried about "when pads go on" for Parris. We know he's super fast, and still very fast with pads. And we know he runs good routes. And pads go on everyone, including DBs lol, if folks are concerned about impact to speed or performance. 

He's an ideal Z/slot combo player if he can stay healthy. Can run all the Z motion routes, can run all the slot routes. Can run the slant or the deep 9. It would be a game changer for our O is he stays on the field.

After all, everyone is new to Ryan....  Pretty obvious so far that Ryan likes him some Campbell, Mo, and Pitt. 

It's deja vu all over again.  We've seen this preview of the season before.

No one doubts the gifts and talent this guy has.  We all know the potential.  It was why he was picked in the first place.

Wake me when the season begins.  That's when all the potential and chemistry pays off.  It's not that I disrespect any of this, but my heart has been broken too often to fall for it again.  I'm praying this is the year he finally does "show out", but my heart and hopes are at a safe distance.  Praying for a great season for him this year!! 

1 minute ago, PeterBowman said:

The crappy thing about his injuries is that they've mostly been freak accident types, not so much lingering issues. Just bad luck.

200.gif

Very freak. That play last year would have busted anyone's foot, and was totally strange the way the DB hammered his heel. 

Campbell has the worst luck I have seen any Colts player have in recent history. He is the type of person that can be 100% healthy, go out for a jog late at night on the street, then step on a small rock and fracture his foot. Not trying to be funny but true. I remember when I used to jog/run a lot and I stepped on a rock, didn't see it and it messed me up for a few days. Luckily nothing broken but bruised it was, a tiny damn rock season 3 laughing GIF - I couldn't run for like 10 days.

2 hours ago, Bolt Colt said:

j96ufyes5fwcegjqrndy.jpg

Entering his fourth season, the Indianapolis Colts are hoping wide receiver Parris Campbell can stay on the field enough to make an impact with new quarterback Matt Ryan taking over the offense.

Campbell has been limited to just 15 games across three seasons since being selected in the second round of the 2019 NFL draft. Freak injuries have taken hold of the narrative to begin his career.

But Campbell has been healthy throughout the 2022 offseason and now the start of training camp. It’s already proving to be a positive development for the Colts as he has developed a solid rapport with Ryan.

“They have. Matt (Ryan) has done a great job of getting with all of our guys, throwing extra in the offseason. Over the summer he got with some of our guys here and there,” said offensive coordinator Marcus Brady of the duo. “The biggest thing for him is that Matt communicates what he wants, so no mistake goes uncoached there so he’s coaching him up. So, they’re getting on the same page a lot quicker.”

The pads haven’t come on yet and a player like Campbell, whose game relies on speed and elusiveness, is going to shine when there’s no contact. But we have seen flashes before of what Campbell can do.

His first official game with Philip Rivers in 2020 ended with him leading the team in both receptions (6) and receiving yards (71) during that Week 1 opener against the Jacksonville Jaguars.

Campbell’s speed is a unique trait for the Colts to have in the offense, and it has shown throughout the offseason workouts and the beginning of training camp.

“That’s what we’ve been looking for, we’ve been waiting for him to get healthy as he is. This is his year for him to kind of show out, we’re ready for that. He’s been looking great, he’s had a great offseason,” Brady said of Campbell. “He’s had a great few days here. I think he’s made some nice catches, run some great routes. You can feel his speed out on the field. So, we’re excited about that and just continue to take it day-by-day.”

Campbell himself has felt a palpable difference in the way practice has been going with Ryan under center, especially when it comes to the tempo on the offensive side of the ball.

“Man, it’s been fast I’ll tell you that. I saw the quote that Frank (Reich) said that we got the same amount of plays in but finish ten minutes early. I think that’s crazy. Matt (Ryan) has been commanding the entire offense and he’s really been pushing the pace,” Campbell said. “One, I think that is getting us in great condition, but two also I think that is going to be at our advantage come season time, so it’s been good.”

The fourth-year wideout is competing for a starting role in the offense, and he may be on his way to solidifying it if his strong training camp continues.

You should link to the original article, unless this is your content.

3 hours ago, Bolt Colt said:

j96ufyes5fwcegjqrndy.jpg

Campbell has been limited to just 15 games across three seasons since being selected in the second round of the 2019 NFL draft. Freak injuries have taken hold of the narrative to begin his career.

But Campbell has been healthy throughout the 2022 offseason and now the start of training camp. It’s already proving to be a positive development for the Colts as he has developed a solid rapport with Ryan.

“They have. Matt (Ryan) has done a great job of getting with all of our guys, throwing extra in the offseason. Over the summer he got with some of our guys here and there,” said offensive coordinator Marcus Brady of the duo. “The biggest thing for him is that Matt communicates what he wants, so no mistake goes uncoached there so he’s coaching him up. So, they’re getting on the same page a lot quicker.”

The pads haven’t come on yet and a player like Campbell, whose game relies on speed and elusiveness, is going to shine when there’s no contact. But we have seen flashes before of what Campbell can do.

His first official game with Philip Rivers in 2020 ended with him leading the team in both receptions (6) and receiving yards (71) during that Week 1 opener against the Jacksonville Jaguars.

Campbell’s speed is a unique trait for the Colts to have in the offense, and it has shown throughout the offseason workouts and the beginning of training camp.

“That’s what we’ve been looking for, we’ve been waiting for him to get healthy as he is. This is his year for him to kind of show out, we’re ready for that. He’s been looking great, he’s had a great offseason,” Brady said of Campbell. “He’s had a great few days here. I think he’s made some nice catches, run some great routes. You can feel his speed out on the field. So, we’re excited about that and just continue to take it day-by-day.”

Campbell himself has felt a palpable difference in the way practice has been going with Ryan under center, especially when it comes to the tempo on the offensive side of the ball.

“Man, it’s been fast I’ll tell you that. I saw the quote that Frank (Reich) said that we got the same amount of plays in but finish ten minutes early. I think that’s crazy. Matt (Ryan) has been commanding the entire offense and he’s really been pushing the pace,” Campbell said. “One, I think that is getting us in great condition, but two also I think that is going to be at our advantage come season time, so it’s been good.”

The fourth-year wideout is competing for a starting role in the offense, and he may be on his way to solidifying it if his strong training camp continues.

Look at my posts from years ago. Campbell was my favorite wr coming out and one of my fav players coming  out of that draft. To me there is no questioning his abilities. All this positive stuff chemistry, speed and overall athletic ability means nothing if he can't day healthy. I just kind of dismiss these articles and his performance in camp. Honestly, I don't want to heighten my expectations. I just picture him coming out of the tunnel for the 1st game and stubbing his toe resulting in a season ending injury lol.

5 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Pretty obvious chemistry thus far. Got to stay healthy though to build on things. 

I'm not really worried about "when pads go on" for Parris. We know he's super fast, and still very fast with pads. And we know he runs good routes. And pads go on everyone, including DBs lol, if folks are concerned about impact to speed or performance. 

He's an ideal Z/slot combo player if he can stay healthy. Can run all the Z motion routes, can run all the slot routes. Can run the slant or the deep 9. It would be a game changer for our O is he stays on the field.

After all, everyone is new to Ryan....  Pretty obvious so far that Ryan likes him some Campbell, Mo, and Pitt. 

If he could just stay somewhat healthy, man!  He could be an X factor.

1 minute ago, LiveAndLetAddai said:

If he could just stay somewhat healthy, man!  He could be an X factor.

Yup. He could take our O to a new level. Having a 1-2 punch of Pitt and Parris would totally change how teams defend us. 

A boy can dream lol... 

I think I'll sacrifice another chicken or hamster this weekend to the Football Gods in honor of Parris's health (I keeeed). 

15 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Yup. He could take our O to a new level. Having a 1-2 punch of Pitt and Parris would totally change how teams defend us. 

A boy can dream lol... 

I think I'll sacrifice another chicken or hamster this weekend to the Football Gods in honor of Parris's health (I keeeed). 

Agreed, btw, at least you could eat the chicken ;)

Just now, Moosejawcolt said:

Let's say Campbell plays lights put and puts up some dazzling stats and play . Who do u go for long term.....Pitts or Campbell?  

You sign Pitt to a long term 4-5 year deal regardless. You sign Parris to a decent 2-3 year deal heavy on incentives that can get him to big dollars if he stays healthy and plays well. 

48 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

You sign Pitt to a long term 4-5 year deal regardless. You sign Parris to a decent 2-3 year deal heavy on incentives that can get him to big dollars if he stays healthy and plays well. 

Do u think u could afford both with the current wr market? I actually think Campbell would garner a lot attention because of his speed and big play ability.

1 minute ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Do u think u could afford both with the current wr market? I actually think Campbell would garner a lot attention because of his speed and big play ability.

Pittman is one of the best X WRs in the game right now. Teams want Xs. They may not garner the $$ that speedsters do, but elite ones are valuable. And Pittman is elite.

Campbell would certainly have interest if he put up 1000+ plus. But he'd also be hurt by his health track record. 

You can give both the dollars. Just make Pitts higher on the guarantees and longer term. We've stayed faithful to Parris through all his ups and downs. He may be OK with an incentive laced contract that gets him top dollar if he stays on the field and produces. 

We've got more time for Pitt. 

17 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Let's say Campbell plays lights put and puts up some dazzling stats and play . Who do u go for long term.....Pitts or Campbell?  

I was thinking about that too.  Let’s say Campbell really explodes for like 1200+ yards and 10+ touchdowns.  Those kinds of numbers would bring serious interest from some other teams around the league. Would it be cheaper and wiser to just franchise tag him (with the potential option to tag him twice to see if he can stack a couple healthy seasons) or try to work out an incentive laden deal with the risk of someone outbidding us?

1 hour ago, Smoke317 said:

I was thinking about that too.  Let’s say Campbell really explodes for like 1200+ yards and 10+ touchdowns.  Those kinds of numbers would bring serious interest from some other teams around the league. Would it be cheaper and wiser to just franchise tag him (with the potential option to tag him twice to see if he can stack a couple healthy seasons) or try to work out an incentive laden deal with the risk of someone outbidding us?

We might let him walk and draft another wr and resign Dulin 

1 hour ago, Smoke317 said:

If he puts up those kinds of numbers we may very well win the SB.

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

If he puts up those kinds of numbers we may very well win the SB.

That’s exactly my thinking.  He could be that secret weapon that pushes us over the top (kinda like Bob Sanders was for our Championship team).  In the event that happens, we’d have to keep him. 

3 hours ago, Smoke317 said:

Give him the choice of the tag or an incentive heavy contract. 

5 hours ago, Smoke317 said:

This is good outside the box thinking that I appreciate.    I’d add that the franchise has been very loyal and supportive of Parris through many difficult times….  So I suspect PC and the Colts will be able to work something out.   I’d be hugely disappointed if that didn’t happen. 

26 minutes ago, RNGDShobby said:

I can't imagine tagging him would be cheaper. Isn't it the average of the top 5 paid guys at that position? Which would be well in excess of $20m now.
No doubt he would have other interest but I think we'd be able to get it done.

Just depends on how well he plays.

They could also use a transition tag, which is similar to the franchise tag, but top 10 average, and right of first refusal.

Like I said above, if he balls out, prior to the tag deadline, give him a choice between the tab and an incentive laden deal that gets him top $ if he remains on the field. 

Not going to worry about it now. He's got to stay healthy and ball out before it's even a question. I'll revisit mid season lol. 

10 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Just depends on how well he plays.

They could also use a transition tag, which is similar to the franchise tag, but top 10 average, and right of first refusal.

Like I said above, if he balls out, prior to the tag deadline, give him a choice between the tab and an incentive laden deal that gets him top $ if he remains on the field. 

Not going to worry about it now. He's got to stay healthy and ball out before it's even a question. I'll revisit mid season lol. 

Hopefully the benefit of the contract year is 1 good season from Parris, that is all I am hoping for. What happens after this season, we can figure it out in the off season. The draft has been plentiful with WR talent over the last few years, so I am not worried.

6 hours ago, chad72 said:

Hopefully the benefit of the contract year is 1 good season from Parris, that is all I am hoping for. What happens after this season, we can figure it out in the off season. The draft has been plentiful with WR talent over the last few years, so I am not worried.

Yup. Just not really worried at this point. Lot's of ifs. And if there is a future worry, it's because good things happened!

5 hours ago, depressedfalconsfan said:

Ryan loves the middle of the field. Parris loves crossing the middle, they match 100%. Also, MAC and the rest of the TEs will eat. Remember how Austin Hooper was pro bowler before he went to the Browns? Matt got him that paycheck.

Prior to Mo getting dinged Saturday, he had the most catches from Ryan out of all WRs/TEs/RBs. 

So yup! Mo probably benefits as much as anyone could with the addition of Ryan

Archived