Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Top 5 Ballard moves for the 2022 off-season (So far)

CR91

On 5/30/2022 at 5:06 PM, CR91 said:

If Winston was our QB, I would have completely been puzzled. He's as unhinged as Wentz. Possibly even more. His 5000 30/30 stat line still baffles me

It's an easy figure to me.  He doesn't comprehend defenses and how to play against them. Very talented but the guns blazing method can be costly. 

On 5/29/2022 at 9:25 PM, CR91 said:

I think it goes without saying this has been Ballard's busiest off-season in terms of addressing needs, depth, and "splash move". Here's my top 5

5. Drafting Alec Pierce

Was very excited to get Alec as a lot of us were. I think him and Pitt will compliment each other really well as Pitt works best in the intermediate part of the field while Alec works the boundaries and plays off the top of the coverage. 

4. Signing Stephon Gilmore

Big fan of this signing depending on what version of Gilmore we're getting. In Carolina, Gilmore was very productive, but not New England level. I still think this was a major need that needed to be addressed and hopefully he stays healthy and can bring his physical play to our secondary.

3. Trading Wentz

This isn't really about moving on from Wentz, but instead the compensation. Personally, I thought Wentz had his moments here and has the talent to be a top QB, however I just don't think accountability and the want to win is in him. He didn't have the killer instinct that Peyton or Andrew had. The trade itself was really impressive as a lot of teams wouldn't take on the entire contract and still give up a third and a potential second. Ballard needs to teach a class in the art of negotiation.

2. Trading for Matt Ryan

From the beginning of the Colts QB search, I said this was the most realistic move. I just couldn't see Rodgers or Wilson coming here. Matt while in the backend of his career, it's not the same as Rivers to me. Matt is not a statue who can't get out of the pocket and make plays. Not saying he gets out of the pocket a lot, but he can if he needs to. I also think this move fits because Matt understands the role he's playing where I think Wentz didn't. Matt is not gonna be asked to be the focal point of the offense, but he will keep the offense in a rhythm and under control.

1. Trading for Yannick Ngakoue

I don't think this move gets talked about enough in terms of the impact it will have on our defense. The colts have finally addressed a glaring hole and that is consistent pass rush and Yannick has been as consistent as they come. Yannick and Buck can not be doubled teamed every play which means someone is gonna get a single blocked. Also the tips and tricks he can show Kwity to finish sacks as Kwity was getting home, but just not finishing. I am concerned this might be a one year rental, but I expect big things from the dline.

Im at a loss for words.  #1 trading for Ngakoue was HORRIBLE.  Why?  We gave up a pick and paid him 13 million bucks Ballard refused to pay Autry 7 million a year and let him go to our rival.  Autry is way better and actually plays the run.  This one move shows you how incompetent he is and paying double the cash for a player who still can stop the run is a move of desperation to cover his ineptness.  You aint going anywhere when you compound errors.  

This post just confounds me.  Are our fans this blind?  

Top 5 positive moves?  I can't think of 5 moves in total that can be said are actually positive.

1. Signing Gilmore

2. Hiring Gus

3. (In season move) Moving Hines for a ham sandwich

Look good but are incomplete

1. Drafting Pierce

2. Drafting Raimann

3. (In season) Firing Reich...but that seems like it was more Irsay and Ballard actually wanted Reich to stay.

4. Extending Nelson

Push:

Trading Wentz/trade for Ryan

Trading RYS for Yannick

Bad:

1. Letting both Gs walk, and then not signing another vet to replace /IOW, giving the job to Pinter.

2. Signing Pryor to starters money without providing early competition/IOW, giving him the job.

As far as having an impact this season, the two bad moves far outweigh the rest of the moves combined.

On 6/7/2022 at 3:39 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Had we not got Matt we would've been a .500 team and we gave a good roster which is sad but the QB is so important. We got lucky. Imagine having Mariota or Trubisky lmao or Wentz again. ew throw up GIF- Irsay knows this and wasting Taylor's prime with an average or bad QB wasn't going to happen. With Matt we should win 11 or 12 games, the other 3 guys I mentioned = 9-8 or 8-9.

I like looking at back on these to see If I am right or wrong. Only thing here where I really missed was I thought with Matt we would win 11 games. I blame a lot of that on Frank and Leonard being injured though. With the talent we have, we had no business starting 0-1-1. We should have started 2-0, had we done so, we would be 6-4 right now. Wentz, Mariota, and Trubisky have not done squat all year so I was right there.

It is easy for others to go back through posts and then say someone is wrong but I also have had a lot right in here over the years. I said we would be good with Rivers and make the playoffs, when I bet on games I usually am 55% right, 45% wrong which is better than 50%. I am ahead money wise last year and this year betting on games but not much because I don't bet a lot of money. Usually 100 or 50 there and here. 

Hindsight is wonderful for some in here to say someone had no idea what they were talking about, usually those are the people that aren't bold and put their own predictions out. I admire the people that at least aren't chicken and make predictions= right or wrong.

6 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I like looking at back on these to see If I am right or wrong. Only thing here where I really missed was I thought with Matt we would win 11 games. I blame a lot of that on Frank and Leonard being injured though. With the talent we have, we had no business starting 0-1-1. We should have started 2-0, had we done so, we would be 6-4 right now. Wentz, Mariota, and Trubisky have not done squat all year so I was right there.

It is easy for others to go back through posts and then say someone is wrong but I also have had a lot right in here over the years. I said we would be good with Rivers and make the playoffs, when I bet on games I usually am 55% right, 45% wrong which is better than 50%. I am ahead money wise last year and this year betting on games but not much because I don't bet a lot of money. Usually 100 or 50 there and here. 

Hindsight is wonderful for some in here to say someone had no idea what they were talking about, usually those are the people that aren't bold and put their own predictions out. I admire the people that at least aren't chicken and make predictions= right or wrong.

Mariota started out pretty good. Then people started to figure out their simple roll out scheme. 

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah I didn't think that would last, that has defined his whole career. Wentz may not play another game if Taylor remains hot. Trubisky is just bad.

Yeah Wentz's career is definitely interesting man, if you go and look step by step. 

Story of backups taking his glow. 

And agreed Tribusky is not good,. 

5 hours ago, Rhodelesstraveled said:

Im at a loss for words.  #1 trading for Ngakoue was HORRIBLE.  Why?  We gave up a pick and paid him 13 million bucks Ballard refused to pay Autry 7 million a year and let him go to our rival.  Autry is way better and actually plays the run.  This one move shows you how incompetent he is and paying double the cash for a player who still can stop the run is a move of desperation to cover his ineptness.  You aint going anywhere when you compound errors.  

This post just confounds me.  Are our fans this blind?  

Check the timestamp :sigh:

5 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Leonard being injured has affected the offense because of the field possession he gave the offense when creating turnovers. He had 10 last year, without that, it has made it much tougher. Wentz had it all last year, a healthy Taylor, healthy Leonard, even TY was still here. We were 9-6 and he still blew it = Booooooooooooo.

Did we make the playofffs with all those TO's?  Nope so they are not as big a factor as you believe.  The silver lining this yr is found 58 and 44 can easily replace 53.  Leonard is my favorite player but we need to get out of that contract ASAP.  

1 hour ago, Rhodelesstraveled said:

Did we make the playofffs with all those TO's?  Nope so they are not as big a factor as you believe.  The silver lining this yr is found 58 and 44 can easily replace 53.  Leonard is my favorite player but we need to get out of that contract ASAP.  

Great points! I really hope the Colts don’t overpay for Pittman and JT, who will be potentially FAs soon.

Archived