Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Top 5 Ballard moves for the 2022 off-season (So far)

CR91

I think it goes without saying this has been Ballard's busiest off-season in terms of addressing needs, depth, and "splash move". Here's my top 5

5. Drafting Alec Pierce

Was very excited to get Alec as a lot of us were. I think him and Pitt will compliment each other really well as Pitt works best in the intermediate part of the field while Alec works the boundaries and plays off the top of the coverage. 

4. Signing Stephon Gilmore

Big fan of this signing depending on what version of Gilmore we're getting. In Carolina, Gilmore was very productive, but not New England level. I still think this was a major need that needed to be addressed and hopefully he stays healthy and can bring his physical play to our secondary.

3. Trading Wentz

This isn't really about moving on from Wentz, but instead the compensation. Personally, I thought Wentz had his moments here and has the talent to be a top QB, however I just don't think accountability and the want to win is in him. He didn't have the killer instinct that Peyton or Andrew had. The trade itself was really impressive as a lot of teams wouldn't take on the entire contract and still give up a third and a potential second. Ballard needs to teach a class in the art of negotiation.

2. Trading for Matt Ryan

From the beginning of the Colts QB search, I said this was the most realistic move. I just couldn't see Rodgers or Wilson coming here. Matt while in the backend of his career, it's not the same as Rivers to me. Matt is not a statue who can't get out of the pocket and make plays. Not saying he gets out of the pocket a lot, but he can if he needs to. I also think this move fits because Matt understands the role he's playing where I think Wentz didn't. Matt is not gonna be asked to be the focal point of the offense, but he will keep the offense in a rhythm and under control.

1. Trading for Yannick Ngakoue

I don't think this move gets talked about enough in terms of the impact it will have on our defense. The colts have finally addressed a glaring hole and that is consistent pass rush and Yannick has been as consistent as they come. Yannick and Buck can not be doubled teamed every play which means someone is gonna get a single blocked. Also the tips and tricks he can show Kwity to finish sacks as Kwity was getting home, but just not finishing. I am concerned this might be a one year rental, but I expect big things from the dline.

14 minutes ago, holeymoley99 said:

Signing Rodney McLeoad, Safety was our weakest spot and brought in a vet who has played well to sure things up ( Drafting Cross will also help that S room for years to come).

I'm concerned about safety. Even with the signing. 

If we have Willis anywhere near the back end of our defense, our secondary is in trouble. I do not trust Willis at all in coverage. 

38 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

I'm concerned about safety. Even with the signing. 

If we have Willis anywhere near the back end of our defense, our secondary is in trouble. I do not trust Willis at all in coverage. 

Most here understand your concern.

He didn't fit Flus's system. Flus is gone. 

He won't put our entire D "in trouble".

28 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

If he is the one they choose to cover a deep half, or a middle third, or an outside third, we are in trouble. 

39 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

He didn’t fit Flus’ system?   Does Flus know that?    

Ballard and Flus hand picked him.  We almost drafted him in the 3rd over Okereke, we liked Willis that much.    We eventually traded up, sending two late 4’s to move up to the top of the 4th to get Willis.   So far, it has not panned out.   But that doesn’t mean he didn’t fit the system.   The system (Ballard and Flus) literally picked Willis.    

17 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Ballard and Flus hand picked him.  We almost drafted him in the 3rd over Okereke, we liked Willis that much.    We eventually traded up, sending two late 4’s to move up to the top of the 4th to get Willis.   So far, it has not panned out.   But that doesn’t mean he didn’t fit the system.   The system (Ballard and Flus) literally picked Willis.    

I don't know if he hasn't panned out. Willis was pretty good as a rookie and was really good in 2020. 2021 was rough, but I think Gus prefers interchangeable safeties which isn't Willis's game.

5. Drafting Pierce. We agree on 5. Much needed help at WR, 4. Signing Gilmore we agree again, 3. Trading for Yannick, 2. Trading for Matt Ryan, 1. Trading Wentz as we weren't going anywhere with him and the compensation we got for him was good and we got rid of his contact. Trading for Yannick was big, good pass rushers are hard to find. Matt Ryan gives us a punchers chance at a SB run.

1 hour ago, CR91 said:

I don't know if he hasn't panned out. Willis was pretty good as a rookie and was really good in 2020. 2021 was rough, but I think Gus prefers interchangeable safeties which isn't Willis's game.

That’s fine….  I was only responding to the one poster who made the comment about fitting Flus’s system.   Just didn’t add up to me.  

Ok….    I’ll give this a go…

5.   The Colts entire Day Two draft.   After day one, Ballard turns to the room and says…. Wide receiver, tight end, left tackle, cornerback and safety.    We got 4 of the 5.

4.   Signing for Gilmore.  

3.   Trading for Ngokoue. 

2.    Trading for Ryan.   The key here is the patience Ballard exhibited and not panicking as the wild QB market played out.   The low price was more Atlanta doing Ryan a solid sending him to the only team he was seriously interested in. 

1.   Trading Wentz.   I’ve yet to read a story or hear an interview where NFL people, or media who cover the league who don’t marvel at how much Ballard got from Washington when we appeared to have no leverage.  This was Next Level General Manager work.  Masterful. 

So far so good for our off-season. 

I don't disagree with your list, though I think Woods may be more productive than Pierce in year 1.. and I think Facyson is going to be good here. While I think Ballard had a very good draft, I expect some guys may take a year or two to really become high impact players, so I'll rank my choices on this year alone. I'll put the draft and Foles as honorable mentions.

5. Signing Facyson. We gave up RYS for Yannick and I think Facyson will make us forget that.. at worst, I think he's better than tj Carrie and I was pleased with Carrie last year. 

4. Trading Wentz. Ballard got a good value for him (especially with Washington eating his salary). I know Irsay didn't like Wentz here, but I think we could have won AFC South with him.

3. Trading for Yannick. He'll help our pass rush, for sure. In doing so, he'll also help our secondary. That said, we gave up Rock to get him and I'm hoping Paye develops to the point where Yannick isn't our main pass rush threat (wouldn't be shocked if Paye, DeFo, Dayo all have as many or more sacks than Yannick).

2. Signing Gilmore. We had a lot of success with Rhodes (especially his first year). I look at Gilmore as a better version of him. If we get safety concerns worked out, I think Gilmore makes this secondary very legit. 

1. Trading for Ryan. Ballard got a great deal on him. I said above I thought we could have won afc South with Wentz.. Ryan gives us a chance to make a run in the playoffs. 

8 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Bla bla bla!  All these lovely attributes and as the poster i replied to worried that our whole defense would fail if he was part of it "i disagreed" and the reason, Willis is a attackable link, he isn' fast enough to be interchangeable.

Need to pass for a first down, the QB will be game planned aware where he is. Yes he is a decent tackler and intuitive just as they expected. Checks but One Box.
  But if you desire having a defense that can't get off the field, load it up with fine young men that are a step late.

You can Cross this guy off!!  

My thesis is, if you just are not fast enough in the NFL, you are mediocre, and don't fit the level of play a successful system desires. He could be considered by some to be a quality backup, if that is panning out.
 In hindsight today would Ballard draft him with that level of capital based on speed alone? Lessons learned. JMO

Willis simply is not a S that can play 2 high / C2. And he's a risk in C1 or C3 if you're playing match type stuff that requires him to go deep. He's good in the box though. He's similar to Kenny in that aspect, but Kenny has more range. As long as they both are zone in the flats or middle, no problem. If they have vertical responsibility or man, there's risk...

Best moves...

1. The moves that swapped in Ryan. Short term fix, but filled a huge hole.
  2. Gilmore - we had a huge hole at CB... Gilmore also can play man well
  3. Ngakoue - he'd be #2 had his trade not created the hole Gilmore filled
  4. Raimann - the value of this pick in fantastic if he amounts to what most projected. Down the road, it could be seen as the #1 move by Ballard this season. 
  5. Pierce - could be higher if I thought Reich would let him loose running 9s and deep slants. But guessing he'll be slow played and perhaps kept on a 10-20 yard leash. 

Top 5 Off-Season moves made by the Front Office....

1. Letting Flus go and bringing in Gus Bradley, Cato June, Ron Milus, Nate Ollie and Richard Smith to add new wrinkles to the Cover 3 Ballard has been trying to get to since the beginning.

2. Reggie Wayne. With a young room of WR's his hiring fills the void of 'needing' a veteran presence. Pittman, Patmon, Strachan, Campbell and Pierce will reap benefits from his tutelage and the offense will prosper!

3. Remaining patient and prudent in free agency and taking advantage of the market. AKA he slow-played free agency (again) and landed what will be two key defensive contributors in McLeod (Safety) and Gilmore (Corner). Couple that with Facsyon at CB, Lindsay and Williams at RB, and Kemp & Kelly at OT Ballard showed patience while waiting out the market and signed really solid veterans and a former All-Pro for good contracts that didn't break the bank but also fill the voids in the roster.

4. Excellent trades in trading away Wentz for a good return and the trading of a young corner for a young (but productive) edge rusher to fill Gus Bradley's LEO position. On paper we won those trades hands down!

5. Ballard and company absolutely killed the draft and UDFA periods (on paper right now of course) as this may be the first year where the fans, the media and the FO all believe that they did. My favorite pick is Cross as I think he is the love child of Bob Sanders and Malik Hooker. My favorite UDFA is Sterling Weatherford as he 'could' be our version of Kam Chancellor if they use him properly as a hybrid SS/LB. 

Honorable mentions go out to the extreme luck we had this off-season. No pun intended......

Lucky that the Falcons scorned Matt Ryan by wanting to trade for Deshaun Watson and we were able to fleece them by only giving up a 3rd Round pick for him....courtesy of the Wentz trade.

Lucky that the Bears granted Nick Foles his release (after signing Trevor Siemian and trying to trade Foles to no avail) and his previous relationship with Reich may actually work out this time in providing us with a viable back-up QB for once.....or at least since Matt Hasselbeck.

I label these as REALLY LUCKY because prior to the trade for Matt Ryan Mr. Irsay's jet was being fueled up for a flight to get Jamies Winston and sign him as our starting QB. I personally like Winston and once he got his eyes fixed thought he played very well for the Saints. We shall see how this Matt Ryan thing goes and the transition into his successor with us in the next 2-4 years!

40 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

Top 5 Off-Season moves made by the Front Office....

1. Letting Flus go and bringing in Gus Bradley, Cato June, Ron Milus, Nate Ollie and Richard Smith to add new wrinkles to the Cover 3 Ballard has been trying to get to since the beginning.

2. Reggie Wayne. With a young room of WR's his hiring fills the void of 'needing' a veteran presence. Pittman, Patmon, Strachan, Campbell and Pierce will reap benefits from his tutelage and the offense will prosper!

3. Remaining patient and prudent in free agency and taking advantage of the market. AKA he slow-played free agency (again) and landed what will be two key defensive contributors in McLeod (Safety) and Gilmore (Corner). Couple that with Facsyon at CB, Lindsay and Williams at RB, and Kemp & Kelly at OT Ballard showed patience while waiting out the market and signed really solid veterans and a former All-Pro for good contracts that didn't break the bank but also fill the voids in the roster.

4. Excellent trades in trading away Wentz for a good return and the trading of a young corner for a young (but productive) edge rusher to fill Gus Bradley's LEO position. On paper we won those trades hands down!

5. Ballard and company absolutely killed the draft and UDFA periods (on paper right now of course) as this may be the first year where the fans, the media and the FO all believe that they did. My favorite pick is Cross as I think he is the love child of Bob Sanders and Malik Hooker. My favorite UDFA is Sterling Weatherford as he 'could' be our version of Kam Chancellor if they use him properly as a hybrid SS/LB. 

Honorable mentions go out to the extreme luck we had this off-season. No pun intended......

Lucky that the Falcons scorned Matt Ryan by wanting to trade for Deshaun Watson and we were able to fleece them by only giving up a 3rd Round pick for him....courtesy of the Wentz trade.

Lucky that the Bears granted Nick Foles his release (after signing Trevor Siemian and trying to trade Foles to no avail) and his previous relationship with Reich may actually work out this time in providing us with a viable back-up QB for once.....or at least since Matt Hasselbeck.

I label these as REALLY LUCKY because prior to the trade for Matt Ryan Mr. Irsay's jet was being fueled up for a flight to get Jamies Winston and sign him as our starting QB. I personally like Winston and once he got his eyes fixed thought he played very well for the Saints. We shall see how this Matt Ryan thing goes and the transition into his successor with us in the next 2-4 years!

If Winston was our QB, I would have completely been puzzled. He's as unhinged as Wentz. Possibly even more. His 5000 30/30 stat line still baffles me

5. Signing Rodney McLeod - I think we needed this in light of the injuries and underwhelming peformance by our DBs last year. McLeod raises the floor at the position and gives us some insurance in case Blackmon is not the same after his second serious injury in 2 years. 

4. Day 2 trade down - loved the move down from 42 to 53, acquiring an extra 3d in the process. In essence we got Alec Pierce and Bernhard Raimann due to this trade. I thought this was a savvy maneuvering and the more I've watched from Pierce the more I like the pick. Raimann was a great value and potential LT of the future for us. The whole day 2 I thought was good for us. 

3. Gilmore - love the signing. High end player at a high value position for a reasonable price. Of course, it comes with risks because of his injuries in recent years, but IMO he was one of the better options available for the team. 

2. Wentz trade to Washington - Ballard managed to salavage a really bad initial trade by ditching Wentz to another team that was willing to cover almost the entire cost of our mistake. No GM bats 1000 and Ballard is no different. The good ones don't linger on mistakes and don't turn them into sunk cost ditches to throw more and more resources into with the hopes that it will eventually work out. It wasn't going to work out and Ballard made the right decision. The question is - would he have made it without the gentle push by Irsay? 

1. Matt Ryan trade and not sacrificing the future for mediocrity. My biggest fear this off-season was that we would spend big future draft resources on a mediocre vet QB who would be just a lateral step after Wentz' departure and we wouldn't have the draft picks to be a player on the QB market in the next year's draft which is supposed to be a much stronger QB draft. IMO Matt Ryan's trade accomplishes a few things that I see as important for this team - 1. He's the perfect middle ground between giving this team  a viable starting QB and raising the floor of the team and being cheap enough to not hinder whatever plans we might have for the following year or two. 2. I think our young WRs and TEs will benefit from his accuracy and cerebral type of play. Even if we don't think we are contenders right now, we still need to create a structure and an environment where our youth can develop and learn professionalism and smart football and IMO Matt Ryan is as good as anyone in the league on that side of things. 3. Possible mentor for our QB of the future? Overall, IMO he was one of the better options for the Colts this season.

Originally posted by hi123156 on the R/Colts reddit fan page:

I am cross posting because I believe it is a quality transcript of the offseason. 

"This team had a pretty crazy season. The team started off to a pretty rocky start, but the team rebounded well and looked good, and were even feared till the dreaded last two games happen. Those last two games in my opinion changed this team forever, the team knew they needed changes all around. That's what lead us to this offseason. The colts without a first-round pick but with lots of money found ways to bring in new talent and players.

The team had a slew of changes with coaching after Matt Eberflus left to be HC of the Bears. The Colts added seven coaches and lost only five(from what I can find)."

New coaching staff hires:

Brian Bratton(Offensive Quality Control) -He has spent the last seven seasons coaching his alma mater Furman with coaching WRs and STs there. He spent one season in the NFL before playing in the CFL,NFL Europe, and Indoor Football League. He played under OC Marcus Bradley and QB coach Milanovich in the CFL.

Cato June(Assitant Linebacker coaches ) - A former 2003 sixth-round pick for the Colts . He won All-pro and pro bowl nods in 2005.He started 45 games for the colts during his season with us before his stints with the Bucs and bears.He has spent the last couple of years coaching around as an assistant for Howard, Umass, and bowling green.The Colts seem to think he has a bright future.

Ron Milus (DB Coach )- A very well-known coach and respect with over two decades of experience he brings to the table.He spent last year with the Raiders, and seven years before that with the Chargers, all as DB coaches. Before that, he was DB coaches at the: Broncos, Rams, Cardinals, Giants, and Panthers.He played at Washington and coached there and at Texas A & M in the 90s.He also coaches HS in the 80s.

Mike Mitchell (Assitant DB coach)- A former second-round pick out of Ohio.A ten-year NFL player he played with the Colts, Panthers, Raiders, and Steelers over his career. This is his first coaching Gig and Reich seems to really like him as a person and when he was a player.

***Nate Ollie(***DL coach) - He spent last season as the Jet's Dline coach and before that he was with the Eagles for two years. Before that, he was the D-line coach at WKU for a year and an assistant at Tennessee for three years. He went to Ball State and was three-time all-MAC.His wife is a cheerleader for the colts.

Richard Smith*( Linebackers Coach)* - He brings 43 years of experience to the Colts. He spent last season coaching with the raiders Lb group. He has been DC for the Dolphins, Texans, and Falcons. Lb coach of Panthers, Broncos, Lions, and 49ers.Plus ST at Broncos and assistant at the Oilers. He has also coached collegiately.

Reggie Wayne*(Wide receiver coach ) -* Do I really need to explain him? six-time pro-bowler, Colts Ring of Honor, and former NFL receiving yard leader.

Gus Bradley.( Defensive Coordinator)- Another very well-known player.Spent last year as DC of the Raiders and before that Chargers DC and Jacksonville Head coach.

Now that we have looked at the Coaching changes let's look into the offseason.

Notable arrivals:

CB Stephon Gilmore - Dormer DPY,All-pro, and pro bowl.Hespent most of years with the pats before being traded to the Panthers.Well known so I will keep it short.Will be our starter.

QB Matt Ryan- 2008 first round pick.Former MVP,OPOY,OROY,All-Pro,and 4x Pro bowler.He is a star and though he is old he will be our starter and replacing Wentz.Well known so I will keep it short.

CB Brandon Facyson - A UDFA in 2018.He has moved with Bradley everywhere.He has been pretty much depth but the Colts seem to like him alot.He looks to play STs and rotanial corner.

Edge Yannick Ngakoue- A former third round pick,he was a pro bowler.He has moved around a lot but is a decent starter.He is gonna be our first pass rush threat in a couple years.He will start across from Paye.

Other Arrivals:

RB Ty'Son Williams

RB Phillip Lindsay

QB Nick Foles

S Rodney Mcload

S Armani Watts

The Colts picks in the draft are as followed:

The transactions that took place during the offseason and on draft day are as followed:

Matt Ryan (QB) acquired from Atlanta Falcons in exchange for 2022 third-round pick (No. 82 overall)

Yannick Ngakoue (DE) acquired in trade with Las Vegas Raiders in exchange for Rock Ya-Sin (CB)

Colts acquire 2022 second-round pick (No. 42), 2022 third-round pick (No. 73) and conditional 2023 third-round pick from Washington Commanders in exchange for Carson Wentz (QB), 2022 second-round pick (No. 47) and 2022 seventh-round pick (No. 240)

Colts trade 179 and 2023 third for the Broncos 96th.

# Now that we’ve addressed the offseason, the state of the team, coaching changes, and trades, it’s time to look at the picks:

2.63 Wide Reciever Alec Pierce, Cincinatti

Born in Illinois in a suburb of Chicago.. He has good size at 6'3 and 211 pounds. He was a three-star coming out. As a true freshman, he played ST. He even practiced at LB a little bit as a Freshman. It just went up from there as he caught 37 passes,652 yards, and 2 TDs. The next year he got injured and missed four games but did a little better than his sophomore year. Now his senior year he popped off help leading Cincinnati to the playoffs. He had 52 passes,884 yards, and 8TDs. He ran an insanely fast 40 of 4.41. On top of that his vertical and board absolutely stand out at 40.5 and 1009. His 3 cone was bad and shuttle not great but besides that he stood out. He should be a pro bowl caliber player for the Colts and I am very intrigued to see how he does. He fits in as a replacement to T.Y Hilton and will be our second WR most likely. He has a High RAS which is very common for Ballard to target and fits into the scheme well.

3.73 Tight end Jaleni Woods, Virginia

A massive beast from Ellenwood Georgia, he was a three star with offers to many major schools. He was HS QB and named to the All-state basketball team. During his freshman season at OKST, he began to play TE. He changed due to his height of 6'7 and putting on a weight of 253. He was okay with OKST putting up a consistent number and twice honorable mention to All-Big 12. He transferred to Virginia for his last season, where he went off for 8 TDs and 598 yards. He was named All ACC. He has a ten RAS. He has a great 40 for his size at 4.61 and vert and broad at 4.33 and 6.95. His bench was well at 24 too. He should be our TE2 and can work into becoming our TE1.

3.77 LT Bernhard Raimann Central Micighan University

He grew up in Steinbrunn, Austria. He played in high school for the Vienna Vikings. When he was a junior he was a foreign exchange student in Delton, Michigan. He went and served his year in the military and then committed.His first two seasons he was a TE used sparingly.In 2020 he was moved to LT. In 2021 he was named the MAC offensive player of the year by PFF. He is 6'6 and weighs 303lbs.He has a good 40 for his size at 5.05.He repped 30 on the bench and had an elite shuttle at 4.49.He tested well at everything besides weight.He should compete for the starting job but is more of a prospect.

3.96 S Nick Cross, Maryland

Born in Bowie, Maryland to immigrants. He was a four-star recruit and played in the Army all American bowl. He committed to FSU but flipped to Maryland.He played 29 games over 3 seasons starting 21. He recorded 134 tackles, six INTs,3 *, and four sacks. He is young with only being 20. He is 6'1 and 215. He ran the fastest 40 for all safties at 4.34.He is raw and the colts see him as kinda like a redshirt season his rookie year.He had a 1010 broad and a 9.9 ras but he did not complete in a lot. He will be interesting to see.

5.159 DT Eric Johnson,Misouri state

He was born in Plainfield,Illinois.He was unranked and not very recruited.He played for six seaons.He was pretty irrelevant for ost of his years.His final season he became second-team All Missouri valley.He recorded 43 tackles,6.5 tackles for loss, and 3 blocked kicks as a super super senior.He is 6'4 and 299.He has great 40 at 9.51 and vert at 34 but his bench and shuttle was not great. He seems like a ST type.

6.192 TE Andrew Ogletree,Youngstown state

From Dayton, he was not ranked or really recruited.He attended Findlay but after three season he transferred to Youngstown for two years. With Findlay, he had 785 yards and 10 TDs.Last year he had 28 passes for 282 yards.He can play TE,WR, and STs.He is 6'5 and 260.He has a great bench and explosion,his 40 is decent too. What holds him back is Agility. I honestly have no clue how we will use him.

6.216 DT Curtis Brooks,Cincinnati

Born in Danville, Georgia he was a 2 star. Only really recruited by Cincy.He started as a DE but was moved to DT.He played rotanial for his first four season.As a senior he did a lot better with 33 tackles,12.5 for loss,and 7.5 sacks.He is 6'2 and weighs 287.He has a good 40 of 4.9 vert of 35.5.His RAS is 9.51. He will probably be rotanial for us.

7.239 DB Rodney Thomas ,Yale

He is from Pittsburgh.He is 6'1 and 201lbs.He played LB,Cb,and Saftey.He was all Ivy league as a senior. He logged 50 tackles,2 INTs,and 11 pass breakups.He is fairly unknown,he will probably just be someone you can plug in anywhere as a depth piece.

UDFA’s

Ryan Van Demark, OT, Uconn

At 6'6 307 he with our weak Tacke depth can make a move for a roster spot.He started three seasons and was pretty reliable.

JoJo Domann, Lb, Wisconsin

A second-team all-big ten player.He was the Gatorade player of the year in colorado as a senior he was a beast in high school.He played LB and Saftey.He can push for a depth and ST role

Other UDFAs with limited impact projections Cj Verdell(Rb), D'vonte Price(RB), Wesley French(C).

Summary:

I feel this draft we felled up lots of needs and depth positions and looked at lot of weird and less talked about players. The team picked some interesting players that I wonder how they will develop. This should be fun with a new QB and an upgraded Defense. We still have money left to get a WR so I wonder if we will sign T.Y,OBJ,or Julio.

----------- all credit goes to reddit user hi123156 ---------

On 5/29/2022 at 10:25 PM, CR91 said:

I think it goes without saying this has been Ballard's busiest off-season in terms of addressing needs, depth, and "splash move". Here's my top 5

5. Drafting Alec Pierce

Was very excited to get Alec as a lot of us were. I think him and Pitt will compliment each other really well as Pitt works best in the intermediate part of the field while Alec works the boundaries and plays off the top of the coverage. 

Big fan of this signing depending on what version of Gilmore we're getting. In Carolina, Gilmore was very productive, but not New England level. I still think this was a major need that needed to be addressed and hopefully he stays healthy and can bring his physical play to our secondary.

3. Trading Wentz

This isn't really about moving on from Wentz, but instead the compensation. Personally, I thought Wentz had his moments here and has the talent to be a top QB, however I just don't think accountability and the want to win is in him. He didn't have the killer instinct that Peyton or Andrew had. The trade itself was really impressive as a lot of teams wouldn't take on the entire contract and still give up a third and a potential second. Ballard needs to teach a class in the art of negotiation.

2. Trading for Matt Ryan

From the beginning of the Colts QB search, I said this was the most realistic move. I just couldn't see Rodgers or Wilson coming here. Matt while in the backend of his career, it's not the same as Rivers to me. Matt is not a statue who can't get out of the pocket and make plays. Not saying he gets out of the pocket a lot, but he can if he needs to. I also think this move fits because Matt understands the role he's playing where I think Wentz didn't. Matt is not gonna be asked to be the focal point of the offense, but he will keep the offense in a rhythm and under control.

I don't think this move gets talked about enough in terms of the impact it will have on our defense. The colts have finally addressed a glaring hole and that is consistent pass rush and Yannick has been as consistent as they come. Yannick and Buck can not be doubled teamed every play which means someone is gonna get a single blocked. Also the tips and tricks he can show Kwity to finish sacks as Kwity was getting home, but just not finishing. I am concerned this might be a one year rental, but I expect big things from the dline.

i agree with this 100%.  I’m really thinking Alec is going to shine this year.  With more Hines in the pass attack and hopefully a healthy Parris, Alec is going to get a lot of one on one matchups and I can see him and Ryan developing a relationship similar to

him and Julio.  

16 hours ago, CR91 said:

If Winston was our QB, I would have completely been puzzled. He's as unhinged as Wentz. Possibly even more. His 5000 30/30 stat line still baffles me

True, then he had corrective surgery on his eyes and played much better with the Saints. I think he will have a solid career the rest of the way.....just my opinion

5.) Trading Rock for Yannick/Signing Gilmore: This is a two for one deal IMO because you are completing a process. This is something I would do in Madden during the FA period. Make a trade to fill a position that's harder to fill, then fill the position back up with a FA that's just as good or better that's a little older. We managed to fix the pass rush position without ruining the CB position. 

4.) Trade down in the draft/taking Pierce at 53: I think a lot of us thought Ballard was going to trade down in the draft. However, a lot of us thought when it did happen, that a receiver run may happen and we may get screwed over. In hindsight, it looks like Ballard got his WR of choice, and he managed to move up from the 4th round to the 3rd round (45 pick jump) and an extra 6th (which helped big time when moving up for Nick Cross at the end of the 3rd as there was very little net loss (only 10 picks)). 

3.) Making Reggie Wayne WRs coach: This is ranked top 3 for me, as all of our WRs are very young right now, and Reggie is going to be invaluable to these kids development. He was a great WR, now he gets to pass down his knowledge to a new group of WRs. Pittman and Pierce are going to benefit hugely from Wayne IMO, and the others should as well. Couldn't of come at a better time when we have a youth movement at the position.

2.) Trading Wentz away for value: This was a really good trade IMO. We literally got the max for him in every way possible. 3rd rounder this year, 3rd next year that could become a 2nd, swap of 2nds this year (that we managed to trade down afterward after swapping up originally), and the Commanders paying Wentzs salary for us. That ending up working brilliantly for us and was Ballard's second best offseason move.

1.) Signing Matt Ryan: This was the coo here. Getting Matt Ryan for a 3rd rounder. Yes, we'll probably only have him for two years and it buys us time to get a new QB, but the price was fantastic. When you compare it to the Russell Wilson trade (he's only 3 1/2 years younger than Ryan) and the Watson trade (Watson may miss a decent portion of 2022 and that contract is fully guaranteed), we got an easy deal, paying Ryan an average price, and he wanted to come here in a good situation. No character concerns or dropoff yet, just a solid top 10-15 QB for two years for a 3rd round pick to help us compete until we can draft a QB now that all of our picks are back next year.

2 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

5.) Trading Rock for Yannick/Signing Gilmore: This is a two for one deal IMO because you are completing a process. This is something I would do in Madden during the FA period. Make a trade to fill a position that's harder to fill, then fill the position back up with a FA that's just as good or better that's a little older. We managed to fix the pass rush position without ruining the CB position. 

4.) Trade down in the draft/taking Pierce at 53: I think a lot of us thought Ballard was going to trade down in the draft. However, a lot of us thought when it did happen, that a receiver run may happen and we may get screwed over. In hindsight, it looks like Ballard got his WR of choice, and he managed to move up from the 4th round to the 3rd round (45 pick jump) and an extra 6th (which helped big time when moving up for Nick Cross at the end of the 3rd as there was very little net loss (only 10 picks)). 

3.) Making Reggie Wayne WRs coach: This is ranked top 3 for me, as all of our WRs are very young right now, and Reggie is going to be invaluable to these kids development. He was a great WR, now he gets to pass down his knowledge to a new group of WRs. Pittman and Pierce are going to benefit hugely from Wayne IMO, and the others should as well. Couldn't of come at a better time when we have a youth movement at the position.

2.) Trading Wentz away for value: This was a really good trade IMO. We literally got the max for him in every way possible. 3rd rounder this year, 3rd next year that could become a 2nd, swap of 2nds this year (that we managed to trade down afterward after swapping up originally), and the Commanders paying Wentzs salary for us. That ending up working brilliantly for us and was Ballard's second best offseason move.

1.) Signing Matt Ryan: This was the coo here. Getting Matt Ryan for a 3rd rounder. Yes, we'll probably only have him for two years and it buys us time to get a new QB, but the price was fantastic. When you compare it to the Russell Wilson trade (he's only 3 1/2 years younger than Ryan) and the Watson trade (Watson may miss a decent portion of 2022 and that contract is fully guaranteed), we got an easy deal, paying Ryan an average price, and he wanted to come here in a good situation. No character concerns or dropoff yet, just a solid top 10-15 QB for two years for a 3rd round pick to help us compete until we can draft a QB now that all of our picks are back next year.

Excellent!  
  Taking a shot for a more aggressive D!  
   And IMHO we have a very good set of players for the transition.

It's has been a shockingly good off season.

While it was huge, I will omit the Wentz trade, as the writing was on the wall, he was out even if it were an outright release. I was, as others have already said, categorizing this as a brilliant move to get his salary and picks.

5.  The draft. There is no definitive answer yet on the picks, time will tell, but the team needs and athleticism of the entire class has great potential, for now. Predicting all day 2 moves turn out to be big Colts contributors. I think a gem, maybe 2 can come from the day 3 class.

4. The depth. Watts, McLoud, Lindsey, Kemp, Ty'son Williams, and Foles looks like a rebuilding roster for the Texans, not the Colts back ups. There likely will come a period where any one, or more, of these additions prove the real value of the year for Ballard's decision making.

3 Gilmore. A real pro, student of the game, invaluable influence to the defensive secondary in preparation, career enhancing stuff. With the Quad being in the past, he was not an injury prone player, IMO not concerned as if he were Campbell type, year to year issue, missing part of one year, and early the next are not 2 different issues, but carryover of the same. The skills are there, even if the pure intangibles are off by a hair.

2. Yannick. Big time pressure guy, and a relief valve for Defo, and mentor for Kwity/ Dayo to boot. As a turnover seeking team, the Colts will be in a much better position to turn the field over with opponents QB under stress, the secondary and LB will flourish.  IMO the run defense will not be hampered with an upfield rush, and OL turned away from LB and secondary pursuit fearing a tackle for loss by the rush.

1 Matt Ryan. New kid, new school, and invigoration of a time he excelled in. Excellent running game, Good OL ( stop with the last year nonsense, stats dont tell the whole story..tb continued). Poise, Brains, and Experience, coupled with talent and support, Ryan will be a 3 or more year fixture. Matt Ryan will not be playing hero ball, he will do what his job is, execute the play, or save the field position. Wentz was, and IMO always will be, the QB, on every play, you prey he doesn't try and create what is not there, as if it were the last play of the game, or his career, which we always wondered before every snap. Ryan, reading the defense, choosing the best option, minimizing the risks, and exploiting the opportunities, that's what we hope to see.

On 5/30/2022 at 1:28 AM, NewColtsFan said:

5.   The Colts entire Day Two draft.   After day one, Ballard turns to the room and says…. Wide receiver, tight end, left tackle, cornerback and safety.    We got 4 of the 5.

2.    Trading for Ryan.   The key here is the patience Ballard exhibited and not panicking as the wild QB market played out.   The low price was more Atlanta doing Ryan a solid sending him to the only team he was seriously interested in. 

1.   Trading Wentz.   I’ve yet to read a story or hear an interview where NFL people, or media who cover the league who don’t marvel at how much Ballard got from Washington when we appeared to have no leverage.  This was Next Level General Manager work.  Masterful. 

I wouldn't call it masterful. Washington was a desperate team much in need of a qb. Much like Ballard when he made the trade for Wentz. So that being said. One can say the Eagles gm was masterful when he fleeced Ballard? It goes both ways.

45 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I wouldn't call it masterful. Washington was a desperate team much in need of a qb. Much like Ballard when he made the trade for Wentz. So that being said. One can say the Eagles gm was masterful when he fleeced Ballard? It goes both ways.

Yup. We bought high, sold low lol.

And marveling over a 3rd round pick? Nah.

In reality, we simply lucked out given ATL totally P'd off Ryan. 

On 5/29/2022 at 10:25 PM, CR91 said:

5. Drafting Alec Pierce

3. Trading Wentz

2. Trading for Matt Ryan

I think the trade for Ryan has to be number one.   Without it, we do not have a QB and the season is in jeopardy.  

#1 - Without a doubt, is is moving on from Carson Wentz. This was a tough move, and they did it in a fashion that got the team surprising compensation. I was all on board with Wentz, but I saw his shortcomings in clear focus down the stretch. Like other good to great QB's he made mistakes. However, mistakes like throwing a pick into tight coverage because the offense truly needed that first down, is not as damaging as ignoring chain moving opportunities for a big play opportunity, and turning the ball over. One is desperation, the other is poor game management. 

2# Acquiring Matt Ryan. This is a future HOF QB. he may be past the peak of his career, but make no mistake, the icing on moving on from Wentz both decisively and quickly,...was getting Matt. This QB will execute Frank's offense, exactly how he asks for it to be executed. There may be mistakes, but it will rarely be decision making. 

#3 Trading for Yannick Ngakoue. The most pressure by his position in the last 4 years. Enough said. 

#4 (Direct quote of @stitches) Day 2 trade down - loved the move down from 42 to 53, acquiring an extra 3d in the process. In essence we got Alec Pierce and Bernhard Raimann due to this trade. I thought this was a savvy maneuvering and the more I've watched from Pierce the more I like the pick. Raimann was a great value and potential LT of the future for us. The whole day 2 I thought was good for us.

#5 (Direct quote of @CurBeatElite) Signing Gilmore. We had a lot of success with Rhodes (especially his first year). I look at Gilmore as a better version of him. If we get safety concerns worked out, I think Gilmore makes this secondary very legit. 

14 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Yup. We bought high, sold low lol.

And marveling over a 3rd round pick? Nah.

In reality, we simply lucked out given ATL totally P'd off Ryan. 

Makes u really wonder what would have happened if we didn't land Ryan. This draft was crappy for qbs. Do u think Irsay would have basically written off the season and then said to Ballard go get your guy in 2023 or do u think Ballard and Reich would have been fired after this season?

23 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Makes u really wonder what would have happened if we didn't land Ryan. This draft was crappy for qbs. Do u think Irsay would have basically written off the season and then said to Ballard go get your guy in 2023 or do u think Ballard and Reich would have been fired after this season?

Had we not got Matt we would've been a .500 team and we gave a good roster which is sad but the QB is so important. We got lucky. Imagine having Mariota or Trubisky lmao or Wentz again. ew throw up GIF- Irsay knows this and wasting Taylor's prime with an average or bad QB wasn't going to happen. With Matt we should win 11 or 12 games, the other 3 guys I mentioned = 9-8 or 8-9.

On 5/30/2022 at 3:28 AM, NewColtsFan said:

Doesn't it take like 5 years to judge a draft???

If your response is Ballard targeted & drafted positions of need.....well he's the one responsible creating those many needs by not addressing them earlier. 

carry on :thmup:

3 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

We would have probably ended up with Jimmy G or Foles starting... 

Yuck. 

I can't see Ballard tanking unless he got specific direction from Irsay. 

3 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

P written off the season and then said to Ballard go get your guy in 2023 or do u think Ballard and Reich would have been fired after this season?

We probably would have signed a mid to lower tier QB or maybe just Foles and drafted a QB this year? We don't know if tis years QB class will be crappy or not on the field. I think the Steelers pick will be a legitimate starter in this league AND I think Willis will to but with a huge ceiling.  And maybe others too will surprise. Signing Ryan may work out in the extreme short term but may have kept us from drafting a future franchise QB? 

A few years ago the QB class was touted as the best since the '83 class. Turns out the only one from that Highly Touted class that's a Franchise QB is  josh Allen.  Baker, Donald, Rosen all disappointing or complete Busts. The second best in that class is Lamar Jackson, the QB that they said should try to be a WR instead of a QB. 

Point is with QB's you never know. I think this years class will surprise. 

18 hours ago, Myles said:

I think the trade for Ryan has to be number one.   Without it, we do not have a QB and the season is in jeopardy.  

True, but Yannick has a chance to be here during his prime so imo that makes him more valuable 

3 hours ago, CR91 said:

True, but Yannick has a chance to be here during his prime so imo that makes him more valuable 

There’s just as good a chance that Yannick plays one year and prices himself out of Indy and he goes elsewhere.   Not saying that will happen,  but I think he’s no better than 50-50 to be back. 

Ballard had a great off-season. Although time will tell. Swapping Carson for Ryan and getting a 3* was huge. I like the Yannick and Gilmore signings. Even McLeod and Facyson are solid low cost additions. I love our day 2 draft. I still wouldn’t mind if we bring in a WR. I honestly would love OBJ. He’s a great teammate and still proved that when he actually has a QB throwing him the ball he is a stud. 

4 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

There’s just as good a chance that Yannick plays one year and prices himself out of Indy and he goes elsewhere.   Not saying that will happen,  but I think he’s no better than 50-50 to be back. 

Definitely a possibility.

On 5/30/2022 at 3:28 AM, NewColtsFan said:

I was on a pretty lonely island telling anyone who'd listen that Ballard would get solid compensation for Wentz.  

Now, we didn't get better than we gave, nor did we get the equivalent....which I thought was a slim possibility.... Not in raw picks, but tangible/intangible value....

What he did that got even me by surprise, was  a little less value than we traded away (potentially, if we end up with WA second next year.... PLUS getting WA to assume the entire contract.... I never thought a team would bail Ballard out with that aspect in addition to rendering picks for Wentz.

On 6/7/2022 at 2:21 PM, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Doesn't it take like 5 years to judge a draft???

If your response is Ballard targeted & drafted positions of need.....well he's the one responsible creating those many needs by not addressing them earlier. 

carry on :thmup:

Actually, this is false on several levels.  And I’ll gladly explain…. 

One,  the wait to judge a class is 3 years, not 5.   It’s always been 3 years.   My only objection are the people who judge after one year, which there are many in this community who do just that. 

But Ballard didn’t “create” the issues.  His solutions didn’t always work out.  But he didn’t create voids at WR, or safety,  injuries did.   Or voids at LT or TE, retirement did. 

Now….  If you don’t want to judge the class of players yet, I’m totally fine with that.  100 percent.   But the heart of my argument was how masterful Ballard was on Day 2.   We started the day with a 2 and a 3.   That’s it.   And for very little,  we added TWO MORE 3’s and a 6.   So we ended up with a 2 and THREE 3’s and more.  The kind of maneuvering that we almost never saw from Grigson.    And yet we came away with players we were hoping to get.  This was Next Level work from a top GM.  

I don’t rule out the possibility the players might not work out.   Look at the 2019 class.  But the end result of our Day 2 work was very impressive to me.   I would think it would be for most here. 

50 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Actually, this is false on several levels.  And I’ll gladly explain…. 

One,  the wait to judge a class is 3 years, not 5.   It’s always been 3 years.   My only objection are the people who judge after one year, which there are many in this community who do just that. 

But Ballard didn’t “create” the issues.  His solutions didn’t always work out.  But he didn’t create voids at WR, or safety,  injuries did.   Or voids at LT or TE, retirement did. 

Now….  If you don’t want to judge the class of players yet, I’m totally fine with that.  100 percent.   But the heart of my argument was how masterful Ballard was on Day 2.   We started the day with a 2 and a 3.   That’s it.   And for very little,  we added TWO MORE 3’s and a 6.   So we ended up with a 2 and THREE 3’s and more.  The kind of maneuvering that we almost never saw from Grigson.    And yet we came away with players we were hoping to get.  This was Next Level work from a top GM.  

I don’t rule out the possibility the players might not work out.   Look at the 2019 class.  But the end result of our Day 2 work was very impressive to me.   I would think it would be for most here. 

Yeah I usually don't judge a player that has good to great potential until season 3. If a player plays 3 seasons and is still average or bad then you pretty much know what you got. Usually if a player is going to be good to great he is by season 3 and you hit the jackpot. Of course there are rare times when a player is just very good or great in their rookie seasons = Andrew Luck, Matt Ryan, Q Nelson, just to name 3. Taylor was last season in his 2nd season. To use a basketball reference, Magic Johnson was not only great his rookie season, he won the Finals MVP and a Championship (no player in NBA history has ever done that) something LeBron could never dream of doing. I think in season 3, Pittman is about to be a top 10 WR in the league. Maybe top 7ish?? 

People for the most part just need to have patience because 90% of players aren't very good to great until season 3. Mahomes is an outlier sort of like Magic was.

Archived