Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Would you bring Rhodes back

Restinpeacesweetchloe

Rhodes has looked a lot healthier now. Seems that calf has gotten better. I thought in the offseason we may need to use some money on a CB. With how good Rodgers has looked I am not sure if we should just sign Rhodes as the vet. Use our money on a FA WR and DE maybe. Then just sign our own guys that we have coming up.

I’d re-sign him.   But that doesn’t mean he’ll make the final 53.    He’s got to show he can stay healthy. 

I still hope we sign a younger-ish corner in free agency and spend a Day 2 pick as well.    In other words, I’d like our corner room to get younger, more skilled, more athletic, more healthy.   If Rhodes can make THAT team — great.   If not, then we move on. 

5 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I’d re-sign him.   But that doesn’t mean he’ll make the final 53.    He’s got to show he can stay healthy. 

I still hope we sign a younger-ish corner in free agency and spend a Day 2 pick as well.    In other words, I’d like our corner room to get younger, more skilled, more athletic, more healthy.   If Rhodes can make THAT team — great.   If not, then we move on. 

Let me make it clear Rodgers should probably start next season. I was just thinking we would need a vet still and he would be a nice veteran to have. I actually don’t think we need to use a draft pick. I really like Rodgers and think he can play along side rock for awhile. But saying that I don’t know if the colts feel that way about Rodgers.

8 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Agreed. If he can make the team fine but we need to get better there IMO.

Just now, stitches said:

I would but I wouldn't be willing to pay him close to what he's being paid now. And I would be looking for long-term outside corner solutions at the same time. 

He is only making 2 million. Very cheap.

1 minute ago, Coltsfan98 said:

Agreed. If he can make the team fine but we need to get better there IMO.

So you don’t think Rodgers can be the future there?

5 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Let me make it clear Rodgers should probably start next season. I was just thinking we would need a vet still and he would be a nice veteran to have. I actually don’t think we need to use a draft pick. I really like Rodgers and think he can play along side rock for awhile. But saying that I don’t know if the colts feel that way about Rodgers.

Yeah, I disagree with this.   Completely. 

Corners are like pass rushers….  You can NEVER have enough.  And this is a good class of corners. 

5 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

It's 2M? Why did I think it's like 10? Maybe I've missed it. Well... for 2 I'm all in. 

edit: Just checked - it's actually ~5M. I guess it wouldn't be the worst thing. 

it all depends on who is available to free agency .  we have rogers balling out right now and locking guys down so we have 3 good young corners with moore , rogers , and rock .    we need depth so if there is a veteran corner we can get on a one or two year deal who is better than rhodes  pull the trigger if not resign him for depth

Just now, Coltsfan98 said:

I think he's ok for a nickel back but I'd prefer more size on the outside.

That’s a fair argument. I have thought about that too and am not quite sure about his size too. What I like is his speed and he is always in great position. Plus he kind of has those play making abilities. I haven’t seen too much this season where his size has hurt him.

6 minutes ago, stitches said:

I would but I wouldn't be willing to pay him close to what he's being paid now. And I would be looking for long-term outside corner solutions at the same time. 

Rhodes doesn’t make much now.   There’s not much to cut.   I think he’s at roughly $3.5m.    I wouldn’t offer a pay raise, but I’d offer a modest cut with incentives to make it back.   He’s played pretty well when healthy. 

4 minutes ago, stitches said:

It's 2M? Why did I think it's like 10? Maybe I've missed it. Well... for 2 I'm all in. 

Yeah everyone was shocked after his great season last year he didn’t get a ton more. He didn’t even have much interest. Let me go look that up to be sure though.

6 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Yeah, I disagree with this.   Completely. 

Corners are like pass rushers….  You can NEVER have enough.  And this is a good class of corners. 

That’s a fair argument.

8 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

At 5’10” and 175, no, I don’t see him as a future starter opposite Rock.  I don’t think that body would hold up for 17 games as a starter.   I like the kid, but I’m not sure he’s a future starter. 

I can see Rodgers taking the starting role now.  I would have a conversation with Rhodes to see if he would make a move to FS.  I think he would be an asset back there and it could extend his career.  It wouldn’t be an expensive resigning and his experience could really pay off.  We have gone through a lot of safeties this year.  I think he would be a great option back there.

Just now, Wentzszn said:

Rhodes is 3.5 million this year. So a little more then i thought but still cheap.

Just now, Wentzszn said:

Rhodes is 3.5 million this year. So a little more then i thought but still cheap.

Actually, I just double checked.   Rhodes’ one year deal is for $4.77.    So there is room to trim.   But he could get incentives as well. 

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

At 5’10” and 175, no, I don’t see him as a future starter opposite Rock.  I don’t think that body would hold up for 17 games as a starter.   I like the kid, but I’m not sure he’s a future starter. 

That’s a fair argument. I have had same questions. But sometimes size doesn’t mean your more injury prone. Or are you talking about just getting best by better WR with more playing time?

5 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

are you counting signing bonuses ?   i could of swore it was 6.5 million total

As far as I can see, there wasn’t a signing bonus.   But there are modest bonuses for games played that can boost a small amount to $5.2m.   

I don’t see $6.5m anywhere. 

36 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Why? If They think Rodgers is the future starter they need a vet. He would be a nice vet. I guess it all depends if they think Rodgers is a future starter. We don’t need another starting corner if they think it’s Rodgers.

I think if you look back to his last year with Vikings and this year it makes last year look like the outlier.  On top of that he has been injured a lot this year which is a sign of Father Time starting to catch him.   Given the salary cap you can’t keep everyone and Rhodes is a vet the Colts can afford to let walk.  The biggest reason is Rodgers emergence.  I think you could argue he’s been as good if not better than Rhodes this year.  I think the Colts would feel good with him and ya-sin starting next year with Moore in the slot and a young kid, probably a draft pick, developing behind them.

2 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

I was trying to figure out what you meant by holding up with his size. Are you worried about him getting injured? 

Yes, at some point, the more snaps Rogers plays, the greater the likelihood he’s going to get banged up.   Kenny Moore us the same height and carries 15 more pounds.   That’s like body armor.   I don’t think Rogers has the body type for that. 

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

As far as I can see, there wasn’t a signing bonus.   But there are modest bonuses for games played that can boost a small amount to $5.2m.   

I don’t see $6.5m anywhere. 

The Indianapolis Colts are bringing back veteran cornerback Xavier Rhodes on a one-year deal and that contract now has the full details revealed. According to Aaron Wilson of The Houston Chronicle, Rhodes gets a one-year deal worth $4.77 million, which is lower than what was initially reported at $6.5 million.     okay your right they reported 6.5 million when he was signed but got it wrong  .  it was a usa today story in the offseason

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

Yes, at some point, the more snaps Rogers plays, the greater the likelihood he’s going to get banged up.   Kenny Moore us the same height and carries 15 more pounds.   That’s like body armor.   I don’t think Rogers has the body type for that. 

Well he hasn’t been injured in two years. Sometimes size doesn’t determine if a player is going to get injured. I mean look at Campbell. He has really good size and weight. There is a lot more to injuries then just size.

6 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I think if you look back to his last year with Vikings and this year it makes last year look like the outlier.  On top of that he has been injured a lot this year which is a sign of Father Time starting to catch him.   Given the salary cap you can’t keep everyone and Rhodes is a vet the Colts can afford to let walk.  The biggest reason is Rodgers emergence.  I think you could argue he’s been as good if not better than Rhodes this year.  I think the Colts would feel good with him and ya-sin starting next year with Moore in the slot and a young kid, probably a draft pick, developing behind them.

You have good points here. Kenny is a vet now too. So that might not be necessary. If they let Rhodes go they will need another CB as depth. Guess it just depends how much Rhodes would take. 

Also noticed how much Rock has been a leader with Rodgers this year.

I doubt he is resigned. We almost let him go this past off-season after he had an excellent year. 

You have to realize his play is bound to drop off significantly soon.

There are going to be better options on the table at corner this off-season. 

I would target Kyle Fuller & Carlton Davis 

11 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Well he hasn’t been injured in two years. Sometimes size doesn’t determine if a player is going to get injured. I mean look at Campbell. He has really good size and weight. There is a lot more to injuries then just size.

He hasn’t been injured yet.   He also hasn’t played that much.  He didn’t play much at all in his rookie year.  

15 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

The Indianapolis Colts are bringing back veteran cornerback Xavier Rhodes on a one-year deal and that contract now has the full details revealed. According to Aaron Wilson of The Houston Chronicle, Rhodes gets a one-year deal worth $4.77 million, which is lower than what was initially reported at $6.5 million.     okay your right they reported 6.5 million when he was signed but got it wrong  .  it was a usa today story in the offseason

Lots of times the initial report comes from the agent.   And the agent puffs up the early report to show the football world what he got for his client.   Also helps other players who are still in-signed negotiate against that number.  

But sooner or later, the real numbers surface with all sorts of interesting details.   Sometimes it’s weeks.  Sometimes longer.  I’m always checking and re-checking throughout the year.   I try to be somewhat skeptical of first reports.   Learned that the hard way. 

I would bring him back and make him a safety with the long arms we covet like a Kam Chancellor type. Charles Woodson and Chanp Bailey evolved for a brief while, I don’t see why he can’t be a free safety.

No need to draft and coach up one in the system, that’s how I look at it. Plus, if you want someone to run with athletic TEs, he can lock that role down with his size and free safety like speed.

Ballard will..... (I do believe based on recent past)

Allow some of our own to test the market.

Pick up a good FA or two that fit a role.

Draft best avail at positions needing upgrades (depth counts), all up and down the draft.

Resign our own at positions we couldn't fill.

Re-signing Rhodes will allow us the above luxury.

Not saying he'll be signed before, or after, the draft, but I'm thinking with the emergence of Ya-Sin and Rodgers showing something this year, CB won't be a dire need. I see us drafting one mid rounds (3, 4-ish) and bringing Rhodes back.

So far it really looks like Ballard got a steal with Rodgers in the 6th round. He has a fun personality too. It took the new DB coach a little bit to get this secondary playing well but I give him a ton of credit. He has Rodgers playing  with great technique. Can’t remember a penalty he has taken. He has Rock playing at a very high level after struggling for two years. Kenny had his best stats he ever had. That man is a good coach.

Archived