Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Pat McAfee cashing in

EastStreet

5 minutes ago, life long said:

He donated so much to charity also. Pat is the best. Been subscribed for years. 

Yup. He spread the dollars around too. Even dropped some in Peyton's kids hospital. 

Great guy, and great personality. 

I'm so happy he didn't get swallowed up by ESPN in earlier days, and loved him torching ESPN earlier this year. I do hate that a few cooler ESPN folks aren't allowed to go on his show. 

It seems like we have an inordinate amount of former Colts in the national media.  Pat.  Peyton on Monday night.  Dungy on Sunday night.  Saturday on ESPN.  Not sure if Reggie still does NFL Network.  Baldinger.  Orlovsky.  I guess Polian retired.

20 minutes ago, #12. said:

It seems like we have an inordinate amount of former Colts in the national media.  Pat.  Peyton on Monday night.  Dungy on Sunday night.  Saturday on ESPN.  Not sure if Reggie still does NFL Network.  Baldinger.  Orlovsky.  I guess Polian retired.

Don't forget Saturday.

I don't count Orlovsky... lol.. 

Good for Pat. I love that he supports Charity like he does.

I tried to listen to one of his shows, once. Same for his comedy.

Obviously I’m not his target audience, because I’d never turn either on again…. But I’m glad that he’s successful!!!!!

Just now, #12. said:

Mentioned Saturday.

Orlovsky is very pro-Colt.  That's why I started watching him.  

Ah, missed it. You went from Sunday to Saturday lol. Sorry.

I don't necessarily disagree with all of Dan O's takes, I just don't like his style I guess. He's got plenty of bad hot takes though. Comes off way too preachy and dramatic. That dust up he had with Key early this year probably was the straw for me.  Just overall hate all the shock stuff from ESPN. Key was nice, but torched him. 

Never cared for his show.  He's insightful and I didn't disagree with a lot of his takes, but he always seems a bit too hyper and ADD-ish to not grate on my nerves after a few minutes.   And the rebel-guy, shock-word thing seemed overplayed.  He's a quirky guy, just seems exaggerated and formed into a style, that for me is annoying.

Like that business stock dude, Jim Cramer.  Used to have rolled up sleeves, talked a mile a minute in cool street lingo, with the camera constantly moving.  The presentation is/was too annoying to hold my attention to what he was actually saying.

I watch most days. "The worst show ever" haha is actually what they say everyday. I can definitely see how it doesn't appeal to some people, it not great sometimes. Still I appreciate the straight up takes no narratives. Can say what they feel . I will always take that over the filtered narrative driven main stream media garbage. 

I also don't agree with him promoting sports gambling, he seems completely oblivious to the fact that people do get addicted and people lives do get ruined. He is also one of fanduels best customers himself lol. Congrats to him.

10 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Never cared for his show.  He's insightful and I didn't disagree with a lot of his takes, but he always seems a bit too hyper and ADD-ish to not grate on my nerves after a few minutes.   And the rebel-guy, shock-word thing seemed overplayed.  He's a quirky guy, just seems exaggerated and formed into a style, that for me is annoying.

Like that business stock dude, Jim Cramer.  Used to have rolled up sleeves, talked a mile a minute in cool street lingo, with the camera constantly moving.  The presentation is/was too annoying to hold my attention to what he was actually saying.

I actually agree with this. F Jim Cramer lol

Pat is a hell of a guy and Im super happy for him. I just liked him much, much better in small doses.

But his show is pretty annoying. Its like a butt  kissing festival over there where Pat is laughing at literally everything anyone says like its the funniest thing hes ever heard, the constant clapping of hands, the over the top introductions of every guest he has and the fact that everything is described as either "a legend" "the best" "amazing" "phenomenal" or "incredible". 

AJ Hawk is easily the funniest dude on there and he tries the least.

I do try to watch his segments with Chuck and Aaron Rodgers every week. But thats about all I can stand. 

But then again, I rarely watch TV and would much rather make something in my workshop or cook or hang out with my dog to pass the time.

17 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

I watch most days. "The worst show ever" haha is actually what they say everyday. I can definitely see how it doesn't appeal to some people, it not great sometimes. Still I appreciate the straight up takes no narratives. Can say what they feel . I will always take that over the filtered narrative driven main stream media garbage. 

I also don't agree with him promoting sports gambling, he seems completely oblivious to the fact that people do get addicted and people lives do get ruined. He is also one of fanduels best customers himself lol. Congrats to him.

Why isnt the constant turd polishing viewed as a "narrative" tho. 

Pat absolutely has a narrative hes trying to push and I find his show much more phony than mainstream news media.

He is literally fake laughing at things non stop. It doesnt get more phony than that.

7 minutes ago, GoatBeard said:

Pat absolutely has a narrative hes trying to push and I find his show much more phony than mainstream news media.

He is literally fake laughing at things non stop. It doesnt get more phony than that.

If you can look past the butt kissing, fake laughs, turd polishing etc etc, When it comes to actual sports talk they say it how it is.

3 hours ago, GoatBeard said:

It's not my thing either.  I only watch when it's Colts related.  That said, if he's donating millions to children's hospitals, who cares.  Hopefully it keeps selling.  

I do wish the dude would just sit down.  The hyperactivity - it's hard to watch.  

2 hours ago, #12. said:

It's not my thing either.  I only watch when it's Colts related.  That said, if he's donating millions to children's hospitals, who cares.  Hopefully it keeps selling.  

I do wish the dude would just sit down.  The hyperactivity - it's hard to watch.  

I said I was happy for him  and that he was a great guy. It doesnt mean I dont appreciate what hes doing in the community. 

Just a critique of his show. I think his audience would get even bigger if hed stop doing some of that stuff. I know I would watch a lot more. I want to support what hes doing.

11 minutes ago, GoatBeard said:

I said I was happy for him  and that he was a great guy. It doesnt mean I dont appreciate what hes doing in the community. 

Just a critique of his show. I think his audience would get even bigger if hed stop doing some of that stuff. I know I would watch a lot more. I want to support what hes doing.

lol I dont think he has any trouble gaining viewers or a bigger audience. The money speaks for itself. Its not everyones cup of tea, but more viewers is the last thing he is worried about,

39 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

lol I dont think he has any trouble gaining viewers or a bigger audience. The money speaks for itself. Its not everyones cup of tea, but more viewers is the last thing he is worried about,

Did I say he had trouble getting an audience?

I said his audience would get even bigger. Which means even more money. 

6 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

30 million a year.   120 in total.   He is making QB money 

I read one article that said he'll be one of the top Colts earners of all time lol. 

Might have been in the article I linked. 

Total boss move by staying independent while raking in the corporate dollars. 

41 minutes ago, GoatBeard said:

You implied that he cares whether or not the people who don't like his show want to watch or not, he doesn't. He knows his audience and he knows the people who are not his audience probably won't ever come around, and he won't change to make those people happy, he says it at least once a week.

8 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I read one article that said he'll be one of the top Colts earners of all time lol. 

Might have been in the article I linked. 

Total boss move by staying independent while raking in the corporate dollars. 

No kidding.   Betting on himself and it paid off.   He is doing good work with the money too.   I'm happy for him.    Probably the most wealthy punter of all time

51 minutes ago, GoatBeard said:

If he changes what he is doing he could lose his audience.    He is doing what he wants and is getting paid big

2 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

No kidding.   Betting on himself and it paid off.   He is doing good work with the money too.   I'm happy for him.    Probably the most wealthy punter of all time

There's a good article out there somewhere about his start (at least 5 years ago).

Very interesting. How it all started with borrowing $100 bucks, and pocket jacks lol. 

I love the charity aspects for sure, but love his "realness" most of all. Swimming history included lol. 

3 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

If he changes what he is doing he could lose his audience.    He is doing what he wants and is getting paid big

He's the anti-ESPN lol...

I don't listen to him on the regular, but do when friends mention something specific.

I loved the dust up he had with ESPN early this year.

And yes, he wants to keep the corporate thumb off him. He's gone out of his way to say that while Sirius and FD pay him, he's not owned, and never will be. Said he's a "youtube" show first and foremost. And youtube has to love that lol. 

7 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

There's a good article out there somewhere about his start (at least 5 years ago).

Very interesting. How it all started with borrowing $100 bucks, and pocket jacks lol. 

I love the charity aspects for sure, but love his "realness" most of all. Swimming history included lol. 

He isn't afraid to talk crap about himself.     The national media is so jealous of  aaron rodgers Tuesday.     The guy isn't for everyone.  I get that.   I'm not into his WWE content.  I just love that he said "I'm getting my friends together and we're going for it".  This is only the beginning I think.    He will be breaking off big sponsorships for years to come

13 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

You implied that he cares whether or not the people who don't like his show want to watch or not, he doesn't. He knows his audience and he knows the people who are not his audience probably won't ever come around, and he won't change to make those people happy, he says it at least once a week.

No I didnt imply anything about Pat or how he feels. I gave my opinion. And like I said I dont watch regularly so I dont know or care what he says about his own show. I am offering my opinion on it and explaining why I dont watch. You dont have to care about my opinion either.

4 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

I doubt that he would lose his audience if, for example, he stops picking up baseball bats at random times to take a few practice swings while hes supposed to be having a conversation with somebody. 

8 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

He isn't afraid to talk crap about himself.     The national media is so jealous of  aaron rodgers Tuesday.     The guy isn't for everyone.  I get that.   I'm not into his WWE content.  I just love that he said "I'm getting my friends together and we're going for it".  This is only the beginning I think.    He will be breaking off big sponsorships for years to come

Yup, not into the whole WWE stuff either. I do think it's funny though. And yes, when I said he's "real", that's in part because he talks smack about himself (and the industries he's in). 

And yup, I think he'll rake in more. Much more if he just stays true to his current anti-ESPN roots. It's a streaming world more than ever, and ESPN continues to drop like a rock in the ratings. IMO, after ESPN banning it's employees from going on his show, wouldn't doubt if some jump ship to his show(s) in the near future. 

20 minutes ago, GoatBeard said:

No I didnt imply anything about Pat or how he feels. I gave my opinion. And like I said I dont watch regularly so I dont know or care what he says about his own show. I am offering my opinion on it and explaining why I dont watch. You dont have to care about my opinion either.

I doubt that he would lose his audience if, for example, he stops picking up baseball bats at random times to take a few practice swings while hes supposed to be having a conversation with somebody. 

Incorrect. That is why many people love him. Yes he appears to have ADD, but if he all of a sudden changed his maneurisms then many would assume he wasn't being real. His listeners expect him to be exactly how he is on his show. I don't think his content is aimed at the geriatric crowd on this forum.

59 minutes ago, life long said:

Incorrect. That is why many people love him. Yes he appears to have ADD, but if he all of a sudden changed his maneurisms then many would assume he wasn't being real. His listeners expect him to be exactly how he is on his show. I don't think his content is aimed at the geriatric crowd on this forum.

Great post…right until you threw shade at us long-time Colts followers.:lecture:

2 hours ago, GoatBeard said:

He does his thing.   You either like it or you don't.   He just got 120 million doing his thing

50 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

He does his thing.   You either like it or you don't.   He just got 120 million doing his thing

So why are you on here offering critique of football players who make a lot of money "doing their thing" while playing a kids game for a living? Shouldnt we all just shut up, log off and decide if we want to watch or not, instead? I mean our opinion is clearly irrelevant because they are pretty successful, right? So why do we bother?

Why do we have opinions on NFL rules? I mean theyve made a hell of a lot more than 120m "doing their thing". What the hell do we know?

Why do we criticize referees? Do any of us have a clue what its like to ref a NFL game? Do we not act like its the easiest thing ever? We would all be a disaster if they handed us a whistle? Does it matter to us? Nope.

This board is full of people who are not only less successful than NFL players financially, but have also never played the game at any meaningful level or know anything about what being an NFL player is like. But there are no shortage of opinions on it. Why?

Because thats the way the world is jvan. And it will always be that way. He has a show. People will critique his show. The Kardashians were very successful. People had opinions about them too. Some were legit. Some were unfair. I dont think I am being unfair. 

For the record I was addressing someone I agreed with. Wasnt looking for a debate over whether or not Pat should do his show the way he wants. 

But I get it, we live in a world now where nobody can handle any criticism. First instinct is to paint them as a hater.

2 hours ago, life long said:

The dude fake laughs and kisses everybodies * constantly and you think hes "being real"? Why am I not surprised by that?  

When my geriatric * was growing up "being real" meant something else. 

9 hours ago, GoatBeard said:

For the record I was addressing someone I agreed with. Wasn't looking for a debate over whether or not Pat should do his show the way he wants. 

Yeah, it is kind of weird that you got attacked for it.  Which then if they are speaking for Pat, apparently Pat does care about people who don't watch while he says he doesn't........IOW, kinda phony.

IMO he can make his millions.  I don't care who makes what,  I'm happy where I'm at in life.   As far as me wanting to watch his show, the guy who invented the fog-horn probably made millions.  It has its place, but in the myriad of offerings I have to choose from, I'm not going to listen to the show that annoys me as much as a fog-horn in my ear.

I've never had reasons to use that millionaires fog horn.  I don't have a reason to listen to a millionaires podcast.

And the independent thinker, noncorporate, non conformists, stick-it-to-The-Man schtick has been around since at least 1968, my entire lifetime.  It takes different forms over the decades (and no doubt centuries).  Its not new, but the younger generation always thinks its a new and unique point of view because they haven't lived that long.  They were generally conformists under their parents household.  So guys like Pat seem like a breath of fresh air who helps the nongeriatric ages sow their independence oats.  When they get old enough, they probably begin to see how many visible personalities tap into, and make money off of, that rebel/underdog part of human nature thinking, which tends to be stronger in youth.

Archived