Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Post Week 12 Reich Grievances Thread (MEGA MERGE)

Rally5

47 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

East, i disagree with some of your fundamental approach/beliefs but i always make it a point to read your stuff because i find it to be enlightening. When i asked for specifics, i wasn't being glib. This season we're 6-6, and over the last 9 weeks, i think Frank's gameplans have been stellar. With the exception of the Jags game, we have marched up and down the field against every defense we faced. Now, the defensive gameplanning might be another issue entirely. So unless you're saying Frank would have more time to focus on that side of the ball, i'm not really seeing it hence the questions from my end. If you can attach a list of one of your threads from the past, i'd be glad for the refresher.

I'm open minded but i will add that i've seen all 32 coaches make errors. I've seen all 32 coaches have their fanbases call for their heads, or for them to give up play calling. I've seen all 32 fanbases worry about game planning when losses start coming in, the more losses, the louder the call. 

Look, i know that Reich isnt perfect but no coach is. So if he gave up play calls, and then the offense became a top 20 O rather than a top 10/top 8 offense, what's the gain? If he gives up the calls, what exactly do we gain from that? Do we show more focus as a team? i.e. quit giving up double digit leads? Does the defense tighten up? What are the gains?

Game planning and play calling are two different things. You can have a good game plan but if your opponent changes their O or D during the game or at halftime you change your play calling to counter their changes. I have complimented FR for his 15 play script to start games and that is put together with the Offensive staff during the week. Beyond that is when the train sometimes leaves the track. I wish he would relinquish the play calling and coach the whole team. Guys bring up Belichick as the GOAT coach. Watch him on the sidelines. When the D comes off the field he is over patting them on the back or chewing butt. Same when the O comes off the field. FR can't do that when the D comes off the field and I think that is important. If he was a great play caller that would be different.

• Replies 938
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

Reread my statement. I never said said the 4th and 2 game was the game were the greatest coach of all time went full Air Coryell. I'm not giving you the answers, you can dig them out yourself. I gave you a couple clues. That's a lot of words in response to something you misunderstood.

I brought up 4th and 2 in response to your statement about Sean McVay! You pretty much dismissed him as serious, just like you've done with Reich. That's why i brought up 4th and 2. Reread, keep searching, those games happened.

You brought up 4th and 2 as a way to deflect and justify Reich going "Air Coryell".

It has nothing to do with this game. Belichick made a mistake. Admitted it. Nobody said he was a bad coach because of it. Nobody said he should be fired. They said he made a mistake. And he did. 

6 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

Reread my statement. I never said said the 4th and 2 game was the game were the greatest coach of all time went full Air Coryell. I'm not giving you the answers, you can dig them out yourself. I gave you a couple clues. That's a lot of words in response to something you misunderstood.

I brought up 4th and 2 in response to your statement about Sean McVay! You pretty much dismissed him as serious, just like you've done with Reich. That's why i brought up 4th and 2. Reread, keep searching, those games happened.

Jennifer Lawrence Reaction GIF

Sure.

“They happened! But I’m not telling you!”

Riiiiiiight. 

These games… are they happening right now?

Do other people see them, too?

Do they talk to you?

19 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

East, i disagree with some of your fundamental approach/beliefs but i always make it a point to read your stuff because i find it to be enlightening. When i asked for specifics, i wasn't being glib. This season we're 6-6, and over the last 9 weeks, i think Frank's gameplans have been stellar. With the exception of the Jags game, we have marched up and down the field against every defense we faced. Now, the defensive gameplanning might be another issue entirely. So unless you're saying Frank would have more time to focus on that side of the ball, i'm not really seeing it hence the questions from my end. If you can attach a list of one of your threads from the past, i'd be glad for the refresher.

I'm open minded but i will add that i've seen all 32 coaches make errors. I've seen all 32 coaches have their fanbases call for their heads, or for them to give up play calling. I've seen all 32 fanbases worry about game planning when losses start coming in, the more losses, the louder the call. 

Look, i know that Reich isnt perfect but no coach is. So if he gave up play calls, and then the offense became a top 20 O rather than a top 10/top 8 offense, what's the gain? If he gives up the calls, what exactly do we gain from that? Do we show more focus as a team? i.e. quit giving up double digit leads? Does the defense tighten up? What are the gains?

I agree no coach is perfect. And I agree too many fans expect perfection. I'm not one of them. My biggest beefs are with trends, and bucking simple logic at times. Without digging too much and writing a novel, here are my surface complaints. 

• Pass happy vs bad run Ds (not talking about the TB game). He's done this several games over the years. Miami and Jax in the past are the most egregious, but there are others. I've listed out plenty before, but those are very easy and clear examples.
  • Balance. Abandoning the run all together for long stretches when it is both working and not working. TN game for example this year it was working. Still didn't run. Reich got fired for lack of balance at LAC. He's got a trend. His run heavy years (some call him run heavy lol) have been with JB, early season with Rivers, and when he wasn't calling plays (Philly).
  • Icing your best offensive weapon. I'm not a RTDB guy. I like a 55-60% lean to passing. But when your best offensive player is a RB, you lean on that, not shelve it. If they stack, hit the outside. Hell, colts.com just published an article talking about how well JT does against stacked fronts. Ironic lol... You have to have patience in both passing and running aspects. 
  • 4th down and goal line... I'm not unhappy with aggression. I like aggression most times. I am unhappy with the play selection, personnel selection, and formations at times. And sometimes, you have put the card down, and feel the situation. And sometimes you just need to take the points. The stats and % are great most of the time. But they don't account for everything (situation).
  • Bad game prep / plan - The JB/Hoyer year vs Miami (there are others, but this is most egregious).... To not give your backup QB any reps the week leading up to the game, and then going pass happy with an unprepared backup QB vs a bad run D. There's just so much bad here. And there's other stuff. I look every week at match up info. Too often we ignore what seem to be obvious mismatches on both O and D. Way too much to list. And I see good opposing coaches hit our identified mismatches far more than I see Reich hitting theirs. 
  • Lack of adjustments, forcing things, lack of creativity, and stubbornness. Different issues, but they often bite us end up being the same issue. How many times have we forced it to TY over and over again (in the past). We forced it a ton to Burton last year. We're forcing it too much to Pascal this year. Doyle is overlooked at times. Mo is overlooked most of the time. Mo's passer rating when targeted combined with his 1D and TD %s are ignored. Now we hear them say they're going to look at using Mo more.. Geesh, ya think. And Hines up-the-gut looks to be over, but good lord how long did it take to figure out that wasn't smart on critical short and goal line situations. Run him up the gut on 1st and 2nd all you want between the 20s, but he's not the guy to use when Ds are looking for it. And can we not use the bigs we have in the RZ and on the goal line. 

Anyway, there's a lot more, and a ton of examples I could list or listed in the past.. But that's off the top of my head. 

3 minutes ago, GoatBeard said:

Jesus dude where did I say run it on a 2 minute drill? You complained that the pass to TY was risky and things could have gone wrong. You alluded to how many things can go wrong when you pass. YOU said that not me. If it wasn't the pass to TY then what would YOU have done. 

"Are you saying the run is better than the pass?"

Did I say that? Sure sounds like thats what you are saying. If a run is less risky than a pass then what else can i logically interpret from your words? 

I cant even have a convo with you because you are just all over the place. I dont feel like explaining things I never said. Every single response from you has a bunch of made up nonsense in it. You cant explain it for sure, i've been trying to get you to do so. You say something then abandon the thought.

Youre just being obtuse man, Im done with this stuff. Mirror, mirror on the wall.....

Sounds like you don't know what YOU are saying.

7 minutes ago, hoosierhawk said:

Game planning and play calling are two different things. You can have a good game plan but if your opponent changes their O or D during the game or at halftime you change your play calling to counter their changes. I have complimented FR for his 15 play script to start games and that is put together with the Offensive staff during the week. Beyond that is when the train sometimes leaves the track. I wish he would relinquish the play calling and coach the whole team. Guys bring up Belichick as the GOAT coach. Watch him on the sidelines. When the D comes off the field he is over patting them on the back or chewing butt. Same when the O comes off the field. FR can't do that when the D comes off the field and I think that is important. If he was a great play caller that would be different.

They're certainly different things and i am alluding to gameplans not play calls. 

In the last game, Frank's gameplan was JT heavy. He won't come out and say it but it's clear we wanted to test their big heavies, we tested and lost and shifted to a pass heavy solution. I actually think Frank's 1st 15 v Tampa wasn't as sharp as usual.

When you say Frank needs to coach the whole team, are you saying he's not coaching the defense or not involved? I dont think that's the case.

12 minutes ago, GoatBeard said:

You brought up 4th and 2 as a way to deflect and justify Reich going "Air Coryell".

It has nothing to do with this game. Belichick made a mistake. Admitted it. Nobody said he was a bad coach because of it. Nobody said he should be fired. They said he made a mistake. And he did. 

No. That right there is you telling tall tales.

I brought up 4th and 2 to point out that even the GOAT isnt free from criticism.

And while you're at it, mind showing me where Bill Belichick said it was a mistake? After the game he simply said the Colts are a very good team and iirc he didnt really speak on the decision in depth. Years later (7 or 8 years), he finally did....it was when he was commenting on Kevin Faulk. And going by the comments he made then, he absolutely stood by the decision to made in 2009.

14 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

Jennifer Lawrence Reaction GIF

Sure.

“They happened! But I’m not telling you!”

Riiiiiiight. 

These games… are they happening right now?

Do other people see them, too?

Do they talk to you?

I've given you enough clues. Either go find them or lets move onto Houston. 

Whether the games are happening right now or not is up to your discretion, i'm not judging you.

Just now, Colt.45 said:

I brought up 4th and 2 to point out that even the GOAT isnt free from criticism.

And while you're at it, mind showing me where Bill Belichick said it was a mistake? After the game he simply said the Colts are a very good team and iirc he didnt really speak on the decision in depth. Years later (7 or 8 years), he finally did....it was when he was commenting on Kevin Faulk. And going by the comments he made then, he absolutely stood by the decision to made in 2009.

Frank Reich is Bill Belichick? Is that what youre saying?

24 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

They're certainly different things and i am alluding to gameplans not play calls. 

In the last game, Frank's gameplan was JT heavy. He won't come out and say it but it's clear we wanted to test their big heavies, we tested and lost and shifted to a pass heavy solution. I actually think Frank's 1st 15 v Tampa wasn't as sharp as usual.

When you say Frank needs to coach the whole team, are you saying he's not coaching the defense or not involved? I dont think that's the case.

What do you consider a test? We ran the ball a few times to start the game and they stopped us. We ran a few times in the 2nd Q and we averaged over 5 yds per carry. That right, 5 yds per carry. 3rd quarter we ran 0 times. If Wentz missed on his first four passes, would you be for running the ball 25+ time in a row? Doubt it.

He can't be involved with the D when they come off the field as he is immediately play calling. When the D is on the field he is going over thing with Wentz I would hope and asking him how he is reading the D. He has his plate full just calling plays.

8 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

Dude I dont remember, Im pretty sure I seen him admit it was a mistake on one of those alltime team type shows on NFL Network when he was an analyst.

Its kind of irrelevant tho. Nobody wanted him fired or thought he was a bad coach. He was criticized because all coaches are criticized.

But its funny that you had to go back over 10 years to find an example with him, when Reich has been criticized for this stuff 5 times in the last year. But you wanna compare the two. Please 

20 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

I've given you enough clues. Either go find them or lets move onto Houston. 

Whether the games are happening right now or not is up to your discretion, i'm not judging you.

These games… are they in this thread with us?

Do they tell you to post ridiculous things?

Do they hurt you?

Or…

Could this be… I mean is it just maybe a little bit even in the slightest possible that this “move on to Houston” is just more deflection because it’s never happened?

The burden of proof rests with those making the claim.

So did it really happen or are you indeed hiding behind Houston?

Side Eye Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

16 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I agree no coach is perfect. And I agree too many fans expect perfection. I'm not one of them. My biggest beefs are with trends, and bucking simple logic at times. Without digging too much and writing a novel, here are my surface complaints. 

• Pass happy vs bad run Ds (not talking about the TB game). He's done this several games over the years. Miami and Jax in the past are the most egregious, but there are others. I've listed out plenty before, but those are very easy and clear examples. Jax are a troublesome team for us whether we run or pass. I wasn't too fussed about how that game went. Why? Well i expected a rock fight and honestly didnt really worry too much about the strategy. The split in the Miami game was close to 50:50. Maybe you'd have preferred a 40:60 split or even heavier? I can see your perspective there. Coach's discretion is what i'll leave that to.
  • Balance. Abandoning the run all together for long stretches when it is both working and not working. TN game for example this year it was working. Still didn't run. Reich got fired for lack of balance at LAC. He's got a trend. His run heavy years (some call him run heavy lol) have been with JB, early season with Rivers, and when he wasn't calling plays (Philly). The balance issue is one i can see. His acolyte, Nick Sirianni, does the same thing in Philly. Reich is from Reid's tree, Reid faces the same accusations. I can see this point. You need to be able AND willing to run the ball in January, from Reich's history, he definitely complies with this.
  • Icing your best offensive weapon. I'm not a RTDB guy. I like a 55-60% lean to passing. But when your best offensive player is a RB, you lean on that, not shelve it. If they stack, hit the outside. Hell, colts.com just published an article talking about how well JT does against stacked fronts. Ironic lol... You have to have patience in both passing and running aspects. I agree with this partially. Not necessarily when it comes to the pass-run splits but more when it comes to which back is in. The part that kills me is when JT gets pulled for Hines or Mack, even then i get it...you want the guy fresh. So, toss up for me.
  • 4th down and goal line... I'm not unhappy with aggression. I like aggression most times. I am unhappy with the play selection, personnel selection, and formations at times. And sometimes, you have put the card down, and feel the situation. And sometimes you just need to take the points. The stats and % are great most of the time. But they don't account for everything (situation). This is game dependent for me. My thoughts here are not solidified but i know this bugs me on occasion. I do remember that we had a HoF coach who folks beat with sticks because he was too conservative. 
  • Bad game prep / plan - The JB/Hoyer year vs Miami (there are others, but this is most egregious).... To not give your backup QB any reps the week leading up to the game, and then going pass happy with an unprepared backup QB vs a bad run D. There's just so much bad here. And there's other stuff. I look every week at match up info. Too often we ignore what seem to be obvious mismatches on both O and D. Way too much to list. And I see good opposing coaches hit our identified mismatches far more than I see Reich hitting theirs. Several points here. With the JB/Hoyer year, i practically threw that year into the trashcan. There was a lot wrong imho with how we addressed things that year and i'm not sure it's all on Frank. Frank didnt give JB a raise for starters. That Dolphins game isnt one i remember well and so the leadup to it isnt fresh in mind so cant comment on that. I know this offseason, the way they handled the backup QB competition was confusing but oh well, ultimately who cares. The mismatch issue is tough to agree with, it's partly tied to the issue you raised above about going pass heavy v bad run defenses right? Ultimately, if the man's offenses are top 8/10 consistently, can we really say he doesnt ID mismatches? I mean, are we saying Reich could have had top 5 offenses consistently? Because that's kind of where to go...
  • Lack of adjustments, forcing things, lack of creativity, and stubbornness. Different issues, but they often bite us end up being the same issue. How many times have we forced it to TY over and over again (in the past). We forced it a ton to Burton last year. We're forcing it too much to Pascal this year. Doyle is overlooked at times. Mo is overlooked most of the time. Mo's passer rating when targeted combined with his 1D and TD %s are ignored. Now we hear them say they're going to look at using Mo more.. Geesh, ya think. And Hines up-the-gut looks to be over, but good lord how long did it take to figure out that wasn't smart on critical short and goal line situations. Run him up the gut on 1st and 2nd all you want between the 20s, but he's not the guy to use when Ds are looking for it. And can we not use the bigs we have in the RZ and on the goal line. These are fair points but  they feel more like points that plagued Pagano's teams not Reich's. TY? Well he was our best offensive weapon right? If we say JT should have got the ball more then can we have ago that TY got it more? Especially when for years he was literally the only guy playing close to elite? Mo has great PFF numbers but every time i expect him to have a big game, he does some things that make me wonder if he can ever deliver as a big time NFL TE. Hines up the gut....yeah, i'd be glad never to see those BUT if every time Hines is on the field, the defense knows he's either catching the ball or cutting to the edge, surely that limits his impact. I like to look at those gut runs as tendency breakers but i admit, i hate it every single time. It's a donated down. Pascal is getting the ball but who else is there? We threw to him v Tampa but who else is there? In Reich's offense, everyone gets the ball. The issue of bigs in the red area might be more QB specific...Luck (and JB?) had no issues throwing there, i dunno about Rivers and still not sure about Carson.

Anyway, there's a lot more, and a ton of examples I could list or listed in the past.. But that's off the top of my head. 

Responses bolded. Thanks for taking the time. The points you make are not bad at all. Are they enough to warrant abrogating play calling  duties? I dont think so because his offenses are ranked top 10 regularly despite the points raised, and how would handing over to someone else (which would possibly be a gamble) improve those points? Remember how many years we went without a single 100 yard rusher??

28 minutes ago, GoatBeard said:

Frank Reich is Bill Belichick? Is that what youre saying?

Speaking of education....Do i really have to explain analogies? Or break down the point further?

If Belichick can get criticized then it's no surprise that Frank gets the can too. Not sure how this is complex.

13 minutes ago, GoatBeard said:

Dude I dont remember, Im pretty sure I seen him admit it was a mistake on one of those alltime team type shows on NFL Network when he was an analyst.

Its kind of irrelevant tho. Nobody wanted him fired or thought he was a bad coach. He was criticized because all coaches are criticized.

But its funny that you had to go back over 10 years to find an example with him, when Reich has been criticized for this stuff 5 times in the last year. But you wanna compare the two. Please 

You dont remember yet you were quick to speak on it.

The point I made wasn't about whether Reich is good or not, or whether he should be fired or give up play calling. Those are trees in the forest. You're focused on trees instead of the forest. Seriously not trying to be insulting here but it's pretty clear to me that you're focused on tactics not strategy. The point of 4th and 2 was to show how fans and the media will criticize anybody in a flash, it was a simple point. 

10 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

These games… are they in this thread with us?

Do they tell you to post ridiculous things?

Do they hurt you?

Or…

Could this be… I mean is it just maybe a little bit even in the slightest possible that this “move on to Houston” is just more deflection because it’s never happened?

The burden of proof rests with those making the claim.

So did it really happen or are you indeed hiding behind Houston?

Side Eye Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

LOL. Now that's funny, see you're a funny guy.

Go find the games, the burden of proof isnt mine. You insisted in 15000 games, something hadn't happened. I told you it's happened several times, and narrowed down the spectrum for you by telling you who did it. If you wish to look, do so. If you don't, well there's one thing you do not know which i do. Some want to be spoon fed everything. Use Google if you like, it's not totally evil.

1 minute ago, Colt.45 said:

LOL. Now that's funny, see you're a funny guy.

Go find the games, the burden of proof isnt mine. You insisted in 15000 games, something hadn't happened. I told you it's happened several times, and narrowed down the spectrum for you by telling you who did it. If you wish to look, do so. If you don't, well there's one thing you do not know which i do. Some want to be spoon fed everything. Use Google if you like, it's not totally evil.

A simple “yes it’s deflection” would have sufficed. 

But thanks for the effort. 

5 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

Responses bolded. Thanks for taking the time. The points you make are not bad at all. Are they enough to warrant abrogating play calling  duties? I dont think so because his offenses are ranked top 10 regularly despite the points raised, and how would handing over to someone else (which would possibly be a gamble) improve those points? Remember how many years we went without a single 100 yard rusher??

Not going to right a book, but in short.

• Jax has been a problem because we've allowed them to be a problem. It's not chicken before the egg situations. We've had a ton of bad game plans vs Jax. When they were atrocious vs the run, we passed a lot. Can't do things that are totally void of basic logic, and expect not have a hard time. 
  • I don't mind keeping JT fresh. And I prefer in-series subbing, to whole series off or on. You can do both at times situationally. But you don't put Hines in on key goal line situations. You don't put Hines in on key 3rd or 4th and shorts. Will he win some, sure, but it's just not the right call ever when you have a better alternative. If we begin game script that will pass a lot, and we're starting from the 20, sure, have Hines in the majority of time. But don't force him into doing things he's not built for. 
  • There's no defending the Hoyer/Miami game game plan and prep. You can't throw it out lol... If a coach is capable of that much bad on so many levels in one game, it simply can't be brushed off. So many obvious reasons not to go pass happy. 
  • Forcing things, and being patient, are two different things. If TY is being doubled to start the game, you mix in other stuff, or send him on different routes, to alleviate the doubles. You don't stop going to him altogether. Same with JT. If they're run blitzing and double stuffing the A and B gaps, you don't need to force it up the gut over and over. You need to run wide and make them adjust (keep their LBs deeper or on the perimeter). You just don't abandon him or the run totally. 

Just now, John Waylon said:

A simple “yes it’s deflection” would have sufficed. 

But thanks for the effort. 

Well, now that'd be lying. You can drop several more accusations of deflection and it won't change the books one lick.

You asked for a PM, you should respond to it. I want my beach.

I've narrowed the list down significantly for you. That's some work, you put in some effort too Waylon

2 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

You dont remember yet you were quick to speak on it.

The point I made wasn't about whether Reich is good or not, or whether he should be fired or give up play calling. Those are trees in the forest. You're focused on trees instead of the forest. Seriously not trying to be insulting here but it's pretty clear to me that you're focused on tactics not strategy. The point of 4th and 2 was to show how fans and the media will criticize anybody in a flash, it was a simple point. 

I am criticizing a much more encompassing category called DECISION MAKING. I dont know what his tactics were. I dont know what his strategy was. Im not on those rooms. But I know what decisions were made. And that is what Im talking about. I havent mentioned tactics or strategy one time. That is your thing.

Those were all decisions. As were these......

It was a decision in the Ravens game to go for 2 and chase lost points, which backfired at the end of the game, forcing us into OT when we couldve won in regulation.

It was a decision to call a silly screen pass on the goaline against the Titans and not even have JT in the game on the most critical drive of the day.

It was a decision to go for an inexplicable 2 point conversion late in the Bills playoff game last year and essentially create a 2 score game when it couldve been just a 1 score game.

https://fansided.com/2021/01/09/colts-frank-reich-mistakes-playoffs/amp/3/

The poor play calling inside the 10 yd line against the Rams cost us 2 FG at minimum. In a game decided by 3 points. Instead we got 2 empty trips and turnovers.

This isnt Bill Belichick making one glaring mistake in his entire career man. This is a thing with Reich. He is always trying to outsmart everyone. Sure he succeeds sometimes but he also winds up with egg on his face at times and it has cost this team dearly this year. 

He deserves to be called out.

2 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Not going to right a book, but in short.

• Jax has been a problem because we've allowed them to be a problem. It's not chicken before the egg situations. We've had a ton of bad game plans vs Jax. When they were atrocious vs the run, we passed a lot. Can't do things that are totally void of basic logic, and expect not have a hard time. Yeah, going back to the 18 years, they just bring out something in our coaching staffs. I dont know. Can't put a finger on it, we should blow them out far more than we do.
  • I don't mind keeping JT fresh. And I prefer in-series subbing, to whole series off or on. You can do both at times situationally. But you don't put Hines in on key goal line situations. You don't put Hines in on key 3rd or 4th and shorts. Will he win some, sure, but it's just not the right call ever when you have a better alternative. If we begin game script that will pass a lot, and we're starting from the 20, sure, have Hines in the majority of time. But don't force him into doing things he's not built for. This is my overall sentiment. I am with you on this.
  • There's no defending the Hoyer/Miami game game plan and prep. You can't throw it out lol... If a coach is capable of that much bad on so many levels in one game, it simply can't be brushed off. So many obvious reasons not to go pass happy. Yeah i dont remember that game. I think the Colts overachieved that year but that's just me. Brissett is not a good QB. The individual circumstances of each game are hard to read too much into when you're looking at options that bad. Again i'll bring up Belichick though some are probably tired of his name. Last year New England looked like a HOT mess and there were several things that happened that season that were not typical of a BB side...this was a post season comment from some Globe writers and i'll paraphrase "The greatest coach in modern NFL history has been a little off his game this year....struggled with end of half situations, timeouts, taking unnecessary risks, clock management". Basically it can happen. What's Frank done with the other 3 QBs?
  • Forcing things, and being patient, are two different things. If TY is being doubled to start the game, you mix in other stuff, or send him on different routes, to alleviate the doubles. You don't stop going to him altogether. Same with JT. If they're run blitzing and double stuffing the A and B gaps, you don't need to force it up the gut over and over. You need to run wide and make them adjust (keep their LBs deeper or on the perimeter). You just don't abandon him or the run totally.  

Fair points but again i'm left with the impression that this probably isnt enough to ask the coach to drop play calling.

12 minutes ago, GoatBeard said:

I am criticizing a much more encompassing category called DECISION MAKING. I dont know what his tactics were. I dont know what his strategy was. Im not on those rooms. But I know what decisions were made. And that is what Im talking about. I havent mentioned tactics or strategy one time. That is your thing.

Those were all decisions. As were these......

It was a decision in the Ravens game to go for 2 and chase lost points, which backfired at the end of the game, forcing us into OT when we couldve won in regulation.

It was a decision to call a silly screen pass on the goaline against the Titans and not even have JT in the game on the most critical drive of the day.

It was a decision to go for an inexplicable 2 point conversion late in the Bills playoff game last year and essentially create a 2 score game when it couldve been just a 1 score game.

https://fansided.com/2021/01/09/colts-frank-reich-mistakes-playoffs/amp/3/

The poor play calling inside the 10 yd line against the Rams cost us 2 FG at minimum. In a game decided by 3 points. Instead we got 2 empty trips and turnovers.

This isnt Bill Belichick making one glaring mistake in his entire career man. This is a thing with Reich. He is always trying to outsmart everyone. Sure he succeeds sometimes but he also winds up with egg on his face at times and it has cost this team dearly this year. 

He deserves to be called out.

You're not familiar with the 2020 New England Patriots season than huh? Bill Belichick got PLENTY comments about his decision making. I pulled 4th and 2 because it was an obvious one of a coach who made the right call IMHO and got pelted because the execution was short. That coach doesnt get a lot of criticism because well, he is the greatest of all time, and oh....his teams win a lot. 

You can call Reich out all you want, it's a healthy-ish way for fans too vent. I do it on occasion too. I call out the coach AND the GM. And i have stated several times already, Frank Reich is not infallible.....then again, no coach is. You listed a laundry list of complaints about Reich, cool. Belichick had a list like that last year. McVay has a similar list, our our John Waylon clearly can provide said list. Andy Reid? Oh boy, dont get me started.

So yeah, when i saw coaches get criticized in bulk by fans, and that even Belichick isnt free of that, it is simply the truth.

Now, on the tactical v strategy point, decision making can fall under both. You choose to focus on the tactics....that's fine. It doesnt matter whether you used those words or whether i did, that's what it's boiling down to. Buckle up for more games like the Tampa one. It'll happen again...hopefully we win next time. We deserved to beat the Bucs, even their fans and writers know that much.

16 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

Fair points but again i'm left with the impression that this probably isnt enough to ask the coach to drop play calling.

Like I said, I could write a novel with all the specific situations, but not worth spending the time. I think there is more than enough history there going back to his LAC days play calling combined with his Indy play calling. We have all different levels of straw-that-broke..... I've hit my level. 

This is turning into a classic "I see it a different way and going to continue providing and explaining specific situations that support my case till you see it my way" for 1 poster (that poster knows) vs the rest of the forum posters here. Been here, done that before. Speak your piece, and after a few pages, everyone knows where you stand. Folks should just learn to agree to disagree with posts quickly or just know to walk away shaking their heads in disagreement. Save yourself the stress, otherwise you end up realizing you might be p**ss*** into the wind and end up messing yourself in the process. :) 

7 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Like I said, I could write a novel with all the specific situations, but not worth spending the time. I think there is more than enough history there going back to his LAC days play calling combined with his Indy play calling. We have all different levels of straw-that-broke..... I've hit my level. 

Overall, i think we're lucky to have this coach. I think it could be plenty degrees worse, maybe that's more an indictment on the overall level of coaching in the league presently but given the circumstances he's faced, and what i see other coaches do around the league weekly, i think we're fortunate.

Now i do wish he'd learn from some of the mistakes he makes. Some of them seem to be repeated but shoot, that's a league wide issue. EDJ Sports have a coaches ranking they put out weekly and Reich is almost always hitting weekly top decisions. It's easy to say he needs to give up X or Y, but then what? What're the odds that a new play caller can sustain a top 8-10 offensive output with our personnel (which i think isnt as great as some think but that's another story for another time, i'll face one battle for today lol)

"EdjSports analyzes every coaching decision during the course of a season. The EdjFootball model enables an in-depth examination of all critical calls (4th downs, PATs, and kickoffs), in terms of the amount of GWC at stake. The coach’s play-calling choices (run, pass, field goal, punt) are assessed at the point of decision (pre-snap) and rated with respect to their impact on winning the game. As a result of this process all play calling decisions can be objectively classified as either optimal decisions (correct calls) or suboptimal decisions (errors).
The EdjSports Coach Rankings are based on this methodology and consist of two main components that result in the overall ranking."

11 hours ago, J@son said:

do your own homework.  I already closed the tabs.  from memory though, Indy has a higher yard per carry average (indy has the highest ypc average in the league) but Philly has a higher yards per game average.  Indy would lead that category as well if Frank didn't let his head get stuck up his rear from time to time.

btw, you keep citing Bellichick and the fact they ran very little against Tampa.  But NE also lost so I'm not sure how that's supposed to help your argument.  

Yea, when asked about Washington though…crickets.

10 hours ago, DougDew said:

Its called conversation.  We moved the ball in the second Q via the pass when runs were sprinkled in.  We moved the ball in the 3rd Q when runs were not sprinkled in.  Those are the facts. 

So what is the real issue people have with passing the ball exclusively?

A) because it fails an ideology.

B), because we weren't moving the ball

C), because we had two turnovers. 

Since most turnovers in the passing game in the nfl happen on drives where runs are sprinkled in, C) is definitely not the problem.  And since we were moving the ball with the passing game in the 3 Q (and should have had the ball on the 5 yd line at least on the pick play) B is not the problem either.

It must be A)

Wentz made the decision to pass, not Frank from the sidelines.  The play that was ran was not dictated by Frank.  He said that he called 15 RPOs in the third quarter, (maybe that's not the right number, but that's what I read) notably because he would NOT know how TB would line up or react (like bailing out of the run alignment to play pass, which is what he said they did in 4Q and gave JT the success).  Semantics, the decision is made by Wentz, that's the point of the Option.

We have no idea that any Wizard from the sidelines was going to know that Winfield would be on Pittman one on one when the play was called, whether its an RPO or not.  Wentz sees the coverage presnap and throws it, and he's likely not even thinking about the sequence of the last 20 plays or pass/run ratios up until then.

Lol…15 RPO’s  in the 3rd quarter…I can’t even take you serious.

8 hours ago, Solid84 said:

Taylors 16 TDs probably has something to do with that.

Nope those can’t count in this situation, wouldn’t help prove the point he was failing to make. Of course it go posted in here though. Then when you ask to elaborate….on to the next tweet.

8 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

But TB is not a good pass rushing team, but just a dominate run stuffing team.

You choose to not acknowledge how bad their secondary has been this season, and it had another lost player due to injury during the game.

We can all be saddened that our players were out performed on so many of the pass plays, but it wasn't why we lost.

I assume you know why we lost.

So, if we had won by 10, would you still be incessantly deriding Wentz/Reich for their choices?

Manning threw the ball way more than he should have, that is how you win MVP's, and would have passed even more under the current rules. Oh how he would have loved how protected QB's are now.

So really, your history reference only goes back so far because the rules are so different. lol

And the highly effective pass resulted in how many points in the 2nd half? How many turnovers against that horrible secondary and bad pass rushing team in the second half again? What was those numbers? 0-3 impressive effective pass game i tell yea…

7 hours ago, Wentzszn said:

Imagine what a couple more dynamic WR will do to help Taylor. This offense would be unstoppable.

Well in the 3rd quarter the Colts could have had Jerry Rice & Calvin Johnson and it not helped Taylor…any guess why that may be?

And since when does Taylor need help? You serious?

7 hours ago, J@son said:

what an absolute load nonsense lol.  I'd encourage you to rewatch the game so you can have a better understanding of what actually happened.    Ebs defense didn't start to fall apart until the offense began to crap the bed and turn the ball over multiple times, giving the Bucs offense bonus possessions and short fields.  the Bucs defense only stuffed Taylor in the first quarter.  They didn't have much of an answer in the 2nd and 4th quarters as Taylor averaged over 5 ypc.  

carry on though lmao 

Funny how it’s Ebs D but not Frank’s O or even Frank’s team.

Archived