Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Players not good enough to play

JMichael557

1 minute ago, SteelCityColt said:

I meant Chloe criticising the FO for not drafting a backup OT with a 2nd rounder, not aimed at you. Sweat was a intriguing risk/reward proposition IMO and it looks like the reward outweighed the risk.

More generally I just meant looking back at drafts can be hard if you're not truly honest and ignore the hindsight. 

Pretty sure all my "wants" are somewhere on this board lol.

There were several OTs throughout the draft that liked this year. Not as a lead pipe lock for 1st year starter, but at minimum good depth. 

A few that I would have traded up a bit in the 2nd instead of Dayo, one or two IIRC that I would have traded up (or back) to get in the 3rd, and I liked Forsythe who went in the 6th or 7th.

Overall, I only "really liked" Paye. The rest I was super meh on. I was OK kinda on Dayo, but though we would have been better served resigning Autry and using the draft pick on a T. I liked Strachan, but only because I think small school WRs are great dice rolls in the 6th and 7th.  Better hit rate statistically. I absolutely hated the QB pick. Though it was a pure waste. Thought Davis was decent. So weird how that turned out. Wasn't a fan of Granson either. His no-hands game totally turned me off. Poor fit too IMO in terms of the way he was used.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Colt.45 said:

Yeah fans knew. Just like fans knew Rivers would suck, and fans knew (some still know) that Wentz will suck. And fans knew Leonard was a terrible pick. And fans knew Xavier Rhodes was an awful awful signing. And fans knew Ballard was a cheapo for signing Justin Houston. Oh and of course fans knew Denico Autry was absolute garbage and another cheap signing. Yeah, fans really truly know.

Stop.

Did Eric Fisher play last week and perform better than everyone else on the line not named Q or did i dream that? He got a CHEAP and VIABLE left tackle. That's a miracle.

Pretty much the only 2 options were the draft or FA. I do think we had some interest in OTs in the draft but none fell to a spot where Ballard was willing to pull the trigger.

With FA to play with the Fisher signing was a gamble certainly, but it if pays off it's a steal. even for a part season (I still don't like the 1 year contract). But you knew you had to bring someone in for the start of the season, so you aim for cheap and hope you get short term viability. It did not end well, but then looks like we got lucky with Fisher's recovery.

Oh, and while we're at it, everyone and their sister hailed Malik Hooker as the new Ed Reed. I scarcely remember a bad word about him in media or among the fanbase. So this revisionist history is....well it's not really fair is it? That's the life of a GM though, comes with the territory. There're things Ballard does that absolutely tick me off, and i disagree with his trenches inside-out philosophy but i cannot slaughter the man for things that everyone praised. That's madness.

3 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Prople who are great at film break down and do that for a living were laughing how bad these guys were on film and couldn’t believe we signed them. 

Yes, and those same people whinged when CB signed Xavier Rhodes and did all the other things i mentioned. There's a reason they're not GMs, or even working in the league, and it isnt just because 'they choose not it mayne'. 

The tackles he brought in were dirt cheap and he chose quantity hoping one would stick. They're backups, remember that.  Again, this is a league wide issue. I saw someone complain yesterday that they wanted Charles Leno and I damn near died laughing. The same Leno who my Bears fans couldn't wait to see the back of. Anyway....there's football on tonight, thank the lord for that.

Just now, Colt.45 said:

Yes, and those same people whinged when CB signed Xavier Rhodes and did all the other things i mentioned. There's a reason they're not GMs, or even working in the league, and it isnt just because 'they choose not it mayne'. 

The tackles he brought in were dirt cheap and he chose quantity hoping one would stick. They're backups, remember that.  Again, this is a league wide issue. I saw someone complain yesterday that they wanted Charles Leno and I damn near died laughing. The same Leno who my Bears fans couldn't wait to see the back of. Anyway....there's football on tonight, thank the lord for that.

Why do you keep acting like Ballard can’t do anything wrong.

Besrs signed Peters for 1 million. The tackle the Titans played last week I believe was cheap. 

2 minutes ago, SteelCityColt said:

As much as it pains me to say given the history, I quite like what the Chargers are putting together.

I LOVE their Tom Telesco. That's Indy bred. The scion of Bill. Very proud of what he's doing out west, that team is well built. They've had terrible injury luck

Just now, Wentzszn said:

Besrs signed Peters for 1 million. The tackle the Titans played last week I believe was cheap. 

Why did you change your Twitter name to the Colts are a clown show?  Ballard signed some guys that haven't played well yet.   It's a long season.   What kind of fan messes their pants after 2 games?

1 minute ago, Wentzszn said:

There's a Ballard thread already up, and i went IN on him. A few statements back, i said i disagree with certain things he does. What i object to is monday morning QBing and folks just being disingenuous. Sure, lets pile on him because it's fun and we're mad at being 0-2 but when we throw away rationale, at the end of the day it's us who look mighty foolish.

Peters is a 40 year old LT coming off his worst season ever. The Titans? The guys who spent a premium pick on Isaiah "insane in the membrane" Brown???! You think they had to resort to cheap tackles for no reason huh? :D 

Just now, Wentzszn said:

We aren’t talking about just this past draft. Ballard is on his 5th season. 

Ok,  he has assembled a great oline.  They have been terrible the first 2 games.    He signed some back up talent.   They haven't played great yet,   but the season is 2 weeks old.  You have sold out your Fandom by messing your pants on Twitter.   You think you know more than you think you know.   You're entitled to your opinion.  I'm entitled to laugh at your nonsense

Stating something once....or a few times, is giving an opinion. Saying it over, and over, and over, and over........ is preaching. What seems to be the disconnect, is that some folks think this is their congregation. 

I see things differently than most. When I see repeated negativity, I see a lack of comfort. To me, it really screams.....

I have invested ALL this effort being a fan, and you have went and made me uncomfortable for that decision. Therefore, I have to + you out. However, I am willing to act like nothing is amiss..... once you start winning and make me confortable again. After all, we are talking about how much I am giving here......

3 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

It's happened before. Didn't Irsay do the same with Grigson and Pagano?

Yep..... irsay was looking to replace Pagano and Griggs was mistreating him. It was kinda bad PR and they couldn't land a Big name coach that irsay desired. So Pagano got a extension......similar to what occurred in miami when they tried to lure jim Harbaugh to replace Tony Sparano while sparano was still under contract.  They failed and it became a PR embarrassment and sparano was rewarded with a extension that everyone knew he wouldn't be around to it's conclusion. 

21 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Yep..... irsay was looking to replace Pagano and Griggs was mistreating him. It was kinda bad PR and they couldn't land a Big name coach that irsay desired. So Pagano got a extension......similar to what occurred in miami when they tried to lure jim Harbaugh to replace Tony Sparano while sparano was still under contract.  They failed and it became a PR embarrassment and sparano was rewarded with a extension that everyone knew he wouldn't be around to it's conclusion. 

Wasn't only Jim Hairball. Cowher and Gruden too. Rumor was that Cowher gave Ross an earful about calling him while they still had a coach.

Coaching contracts overall don't mean near as much as player contracts. As long as the owner is willing to eat the contract (we don't know terms), coaches can be booted at any time. Reich's contract was basically the same as Pagano's. Not sure what it is now, but I'd bet he's not top 10. 

2 hours ago, Colt.45 said:

Yeah, the problem with all you're saying is you're not factoring in reality.

So this GM doubled down on pass rush which the Colts desperately need now and for the future. He had plans for his tackles. He got a CHEAP LT who works. He paid his RT. Then he went out and got THREE backups who have just not panned out. Unless you're saying he should have splurged big time on tackles in FA (and not paid his own guys), or that he should have taken a 1st round or 2nd round tackle, I'm not seeing this miracle solution folks seem to have.

Paye is our best edge defender now, and will get better. That 1st round move was wise. Dayo hasn't played but hopefully will this season and will contribute. Plus most 2nd round tackles don't wind up like Braden Smith.

This monday morning QB'ing is quite amusing. Lets get these losses out of our system asap. All we need to do is watch Houston win tonight and this forum may go up in flames :D :D :D 

Folks, chill.

I get that, but the backup tackles he grabbed had a very poor reputation about being terrible before he picked them up… I’m not saying he doesn’t know what he’s doing, but it could have been handled better.

Also I’m not mad about the first two picks, but our pass rush is still terrible.

Will you be saying “Chill” when the Colts are 0-4 or 0-5??

Why do so many on here think Ballard is doing a sucky job, especially where the offensive line in concerned? I was listening to a steeler talk show yesterday, and for those of you who don't live in western Pa. steeler media people almost never criticize the team for fear of the Rooneys banning them from the facility. So it was quite a surprise and total shock when the one guy said"this is probably the worst offensive line I have ever seen in the nfl" And what is the steeler record, that's right 1-1 and they can't block anyone. And what's more their linebackers are awful and their secondary is a joke, and yet they are 1-1. I've been saying this for three years now and I'll say it again just to pissoff a lot of you on this forum, "there isn't another roster in the nfl better than this Colt roster". Go Colts!

4 minutes ago, Two_pound said:

Why do so many on here think Ballard is doing a sucky job, especially where the offensive line in concerned? I was listening to a steeler talk show yesterday, and for those of you who don't live in western Pa. steeler media people almost never criticize the team for fear of the Rooneys banning them from the facility. So it was quite a surprise and total shock when the one guy said"this is probably the worst offensive line I have ever seen in the nfl" And what is the steeler record, that's right 1-1 and they can't block anyone. And what's more their linebackers are awful and their secondary is a joke, and yet they are 1-1. I've been saying this for three years now and I'll say it again just to pissoff a lot of you on this forum, "there isn't another roster in the nfl better than this Colt roster". Go Colts!

So if our roster is the best, what the problem?

Inquiring minds want to know!

Ive been trying to figure that out for years. We had the greatest qb to ever play the game for 14 years and yet only won 1 sb. So how are we ever going to win with just "average" quarterbacks????? You do a lot of research with stats and numbers Eaststreet and I enjoy your post, but I have NO answers as to why the Colts make critical crucial errors and mistakes at the most ridiculous times game after game after game. Be it coaching decisions, turnovers, missing a wide open receiver for an easy 6. And if you've been watching Colt games these past 10 years it's been absolutely pathetic how many times this team has been completely not ready to play. So. I'll ask you(and I'm not being a smartbutt) why do you suppose that is? Why has there been so many games they just aren't ready?

Archived