Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Frank just keeps blowing me away on these 4th down calls

bleed blue4life

7 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Half full - at least it wasn't a loss to the Jags

Half empty - we sucked

Reality - the streak is simply unnacceptable

Reality,  the streak is meaningless.     The team has made the playoffs more than they haven't in that span.   Obviously it's not unacceptable because it's happened. 

Having 5 different starting qbs in that span makes a difference.    It's not how you start,  it's how you finish. 

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

He doesn’t go for it when he should and goes for it when he shouldn’t. First drive go for it. Second half drive kick to make it a one procession game.

It's always easy to second guess.   If he goes for it on the first drive and fails you would be messing your pants about that in the game day thread

Just now, jvan1973 said:

Reality,  the streak is meaningless.     The team has made the playoffs more than they haven't in that span.   Obviously it's not unacceptable because it's happened. 

Having 5 different starting qbs in that span makes a difference.    It's not how you start,  it's how you finish. 

How you start often impacts how you finish.

Last year's unacceptable loss to the Jags in week 1 cost us a home playoff game....

Those games/impacts just don't disappear. 

1 minute ago, EastStreet said:

How you start often impacts how you finish.

Last year's unacceptable loss to the Jags in week 1 cost us a home playoff game....

Those games/impacts just don't disappear. 

Again,  the word unacceptable is used to often.   The loss to the Jags wasn't unacceptable.    It happened,   the Colts made the playoffs,  the Jags didn't.   

Do you think the Packers lose the division this year based on today?

Just now, jvan1973 said:

Again,  the word unacceptable is used to often.   The loss to the Jags wasn't unacceptable.    It happened,   the Colts made the playoffs,  the Jags didn't.   

Do you think the Packers lose the division this year based on today?

Sorry, losing a game to worst team in the league is unacceptable. 

If you think it's not, you are in the minority lol.

Why is it relevant that the Jags didn't make it to the playoffs. That's actually supportive of my view...

I don't care about the Packers... It's irrelevant. Did they lose to the Jags last year too?

Just now, EastStreet said:

Sorry, losing a game to worst team in the league is unacceptable. 

If you think it's not, you are in the minority lol.

Why is it relevant that the Jags didn't make it to the playoffs. That's actually supportive of my view...

I don't care about the Packers... It's irrelevant. Did they lose to the Jags last year too?

If it was unacceptable someone would have been fired.   No one was fired.   So obviously Irsay found it acceptable.    I think you need to look up the term unacceptable 

What fans think are acceptable is irrelevant.     If the team makes the playoffs generally the owner is ok.  Especially having 4 different opening day qbs.

1 minute ago, jvan1973 said:

If it was unacceptable someone would have been fired.   No one was fired.   So obviously Irsay found it acceptable.    I think you need to look up the term unacceptable 

What fans think are acceptable is irrelevant.     If the team makes the playoffs generally the owner is ok.  Especially having 4 different opening day qbs.

definition... not satisfactory or allowable.

Doing something unacceptable doesn't always get you fired. Sometimes it gets you some coaching. Sometimes it get you some stern talk. Some times you get a 2nd or 3rd chance. Sometimes you get suspended. Sometimes you get fired.

I've managed large orgs for the past 20 years. I'm pretty comfortable in my view of unacceptable. 

3 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

definition... not satisfactory or allowable.

Doing something unacceptable doesn't always get you fired. Sometimes it gets you some coaching. Sometimes it get you some stern talk. Some times you get a 2nd or 3rd chance. Sometimes you get suspended. Sometimes you get fired.

I've managed large orgs for the past 20 years. I'm pretty comfortable in my view of unacceptable. 

Sure thing.   It was obviously acceptable.    No one got fired

So what happened was unacceptable,   yet it was accepted by the owner of the team.    That doesn't seem unacceptable.   

Maybe this will help....

I've managed a lot of people, a lot of groups, etc in my life. Here's one of many situations....

An employee told another employee she had a nice something.

I told the employee that his behavior was unacceptable, and he'd be terminated if it happened again.

Because I gave him a warning instead of firing him, didn't make the behavior acceptable. That employee later did something similar and less egregious. I terminated him. 

You seem to translate unacceptable with automatic termination. Things don't work that way always. Sometimes they do.

16 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Maybe this will help....

I've managed a lot of people, a lot of groups, etc in my life. Here's one of many situations....

An employee told another employee she had a nice something.

I told the employee that his behavior was unacceptable, and he'd be terminated if it happened again.

Because I gave him a warning instead of firing him, didn't make the behavior acceptable. That employee later did something similar and less egregious. I terminated him. 

You seem to translate unacceptable with automatic termination. Things don't work that way always. Sometimes they do.

The word unacceptable is the exact opposite of acceptable.    

So it's one or the other.   

It's like the opposite of effective is ineffective.   

I'm not sure why you don't get this. 

You use the word unacceptable incorrectly.    

The word unacceptable is the exact opposite of acceptable.    

So it's one or the other.   

It's like the opposite of effective is ineffective.   

I'm not sure why you don't get this. 

You use the word unacceptable incorrectly.    

OK dude.. lol. If you don't get the example I just gave you, not sure what to tell you.

You're translation of the definition and correlation as to what follows fails logical terms.

Here's one more example... recent... 

The FSU coach in his post game interview said his team's loss to JSU was unacceptable. It was. Did he fire himself? Did the school fire him? Did he fire his team? Nope. But that doesn't make the loss acceptable. Unacceptable does not have to translate immediately to termination.

1 minute ago, EastStreet said:

OK dude.. lol. If you don't get the example I just gave you, not sure what to tell you.

You're translation of the definition and correlation as to what follows fails logical terms.

Here's one more example... recent... 

The FSU coach in his post game interview said his team's loss to JSU was unacceptable. It was. Did he fire himself? Did the school fire him? Did he fire his team? Nope. But that doesn't make the loss acceptable. Unacceptable does not have to translate immediately to termination.

No,  he used the word incorrectly.   

Words have meanings.   It isn't that difficult. 

Most companies and governments have rules of what is acceptable and what is not acceptable. 

Breaking the rules don't always result in firing, or incarceration, or the death penalty. 

The fact that some transgressors are given a second chance, does not make their behavior acceptable. 

Your led pipe lock view on the definition is kind of funny though, so you be you.

We don't need to debate any longer.

If you want to claim the "win",,, fine. You won.

11 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Most companies and governments have rules of what is acceptable and what is not acceptable. 

Breaking the rules don't always result in firing, or incarceration, or the death penalty. 

The fact that some transgressors are given a second chance, does not make their behavior acceptable. 

Your led pipe lock view on the definition is kind of funny though, so you be you.

We don't need to debate any longer.

If you want to claim the "win",,, fine. You won.

Ok, again.  If it's unacceptable, that means it won't be accepted.   If any other use of the word is used,  it's incorrect.    Simple

I initially liked the short pass, quick release plays, but over time,, the play Calling very quickly became predictable and overly conservative. I still think we are missing a legitimate #1 at WR. Campbell and Pittman are good complementary pieces. I'm still not clear why we let Ebron walk at TE. We are also going to have to draft a left tackle in the early rounds next year. I dont know what kind of player Fisher is going to be when he returns, but it's safe to say his best years are behind him. This league has become an offensive fireworks show for the most part. I like our backfield, but I think upgrades are still needed at WR and TE.

1 minute ago, ThaCaliColt said:

I initially liked the short pass, quick release plays, but over time,, the play Calling very quickly became predictable and overly conservative. I still think we are missing a legitimate #1 at WR. Campbell and Pittman are good complementary pieces. I'm still not clear why we let Ebron walk at TE. We are also going to have to draft a left tackle in the early rounds next year. I dont know what kind of player Fisher is going to be when he returns, but it's safe to say his best years are behind him. This league has become an offensive fireworks show for the most part. I like our backfield, but I think upgrades are still needed at WR and TE.

EE was a flop and old news 

45 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

2018 Luck + Ebron = awesome

2019 Brissett + Ebron = QB won't throw to seam or vert

2020 Ebron at Steelers was 550+ yards and 5 TDs, twice what Doyle had.

Not a flop... Luck loved him, Brissett was not a good QB.

Ebron would’ve feasted with Rivers.

8 hours ago, WoolMagnet said:

Kinda my thinking too.

He gets a lil cute.  Smells desperate at times.  We kick the 3, we’re down 8 with PLENTY of time left.

Then we finish the game running like we were up by 20.

Give our guys a chance Frank.

Poor clock management.  So-so play calling.   I think we can (and will) iron some things out.... but Frank needs to settle down a lil at times. Seems he costs us 2-3 games a year.  Overall, i thought the players fought.  We knew theyd score points with Rhodes down, and we got behind.... but at no time did there seem to be urgency. 

I’m not ready to give up..... just frustrated.

The stuff at the end was what it was and didn’t bother me.  They were just trying to keep Wentz from getting killed and maybe find a spark for next week.  They knew when they didn’t get the onside kick it was over.  

Also I wouldn’t say Frank cost the Colts this game unless he plans to suit up for the o-line.  That was the biggest issue today.  

I will say he’s a little too aggressive on fourth downs.  Like Dungy said take the points.  Had Frank done that the game plays out very differently.  After they got the second TD they probably go for one and its 28-20.  Oh well coulda, woulda, shoulda.  I don’t expect Frank to change his stripes at this point so I hope the team executes better in the future.

Archived