Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Grigson's drafting history

Good stuff Olly..Grigson seems to have a eye for talent based on your article. I think this off season will prove to be the most important one since the Colts came to town. I have liked all the moves so far this off season and can't wait for the draft and undrafted rookie free agent signings.

Good article. I also think Grigs will do a solid job of drafting and bringing in talent. I want to see if he has the same eye for late round/undrafted talent that Bill Polian had.

I'd also love it if we had our own Kevin Kolb experiment...draft a QB, hype him up like mad even though there's nothing solid there, send him to a QB needy team and bring in a number of draft picks/young players

Glad you guys enjoyed it. I certainly did, excited to see his draft now.

It's not even the Jacksons or McCoys that had me excited...it's guys like Bunkley, Bradley, Kolb that I liked. Someone like Kolb to develop and trade would be great.

I know pollian is gone and all that but had POllian came out of the draft like the eagles came out of the 06 draft people would be killing him still ( like stampedeblue)...excuse me but that draft sucks donkey's balls...actually of those 4 drafts(06-09) the only players that have been valuable have been desean jackson, maclin, celek, maybe omar gaither but thats it.

they have taken 8 LB (and chris gocong is a LB not a DE) and they are still looking for someone to pair with demeco ryans who they traded for lol

I know pollian is gone and all that but had POllian came out of the draft like the eagles came out of the 06 draft people would be killing him still ( like stampedeblue)...excuse me but that draft sucks donkey's balls...actually of those 4 drafts(06-09) the only players that have been valuable have been desean jackson, maclin, celek, maybe omar gaither but thats it.

they have taken 8 LB (and chris gocong is a LB not a DE) and they are still looking for someone to pair with demeco ryans who they traded for lol

They are better than our drafts but not as good as they are made out to be. :)

Actually, our 2011 draft might be a draft to remember with Castanzo, Ijalana, Nevis, Carter and Rucker all ending up as starters for years if things pan out based on potential.

It's not necessarily the players still there that intrigued me.

It's players like Bunkley, Bradley, Avant, Gocong, Abiamiri, Mays, Kolb...not necessarily game changers and they won't steal the headlines, but they're decent depth guys and players like that can develop into good trade fodder.

Some people laud the Eagles for their drafting, some for their willingness to plunge into free agency recently. I would point out that if their drafting had been good enough they wouldn't have had the need to resort to free agency to the extent that they did in the first place.

The Eagles have been successful pretty much since Reid took over, but look a little closer. They peaked between 2000-2004, Grigson joined as a scout in 2004. As the players from the peak period continued to leave the team declined and became more eratic - particularly on defense. And their choices on offense (aside from McCoy) are not something that I would desire for the Colts. I'm taking Irsay at his word that he did his homework, and that Grigson has a great eye for talent, but using the Eagles as an example of this is NOT a convincing argument by any stretch of the imagination. I'm not impressed with their recent drafts at all.

They are better than our drafts but not as good as they are made out to be. :) Actually, our 2011 draft might be a draft to remember with Castanzo, Ijalana, Nevis, Carter and Rucker all ending up as starters for years if things pan out based on potential.

I agree, that was my point.. is like because griggson is the new guy everything he did is good when in reality those drafts, specially the 06 one were like bad really bad, had Pollian drafted those players in 06 im pretty sure people would be complaining.

and yes, im not saying superstar at every pick but the solid ones like, bradley, brunkley, even trevor laws, gocon etc are all out of the team, not trade just plain cut or not resigned or oft injured (bradley being the most promising one i think now with the browns?). having said that, yea they are better than our 07 08 09 dfrats lols.

and heck yea, the last draft i think will be a valuable draft class in the future, i think we at least get 3 starters from that draft and 2 more solid contributors... maybe even 5 starters in the players you mentioned: nevis, ijalana, castonzo, rucker and carter but that would be like a dream. im thinking ijalana, castonzo, nevis will be the starters and carter/rucker good players for the team.

Part of his drafting LB/DT heavy might have something to do with andy reid as well, he seems to have a bit more influence than most head coaches.

You raise a very good point.... we have to factor in that Owner Jeffrey Lurie, VP Joe Banner and Andy Reid probably combined for a high degree of input regarding the Eagles picks over that time, and Grigson's input up until he was actually promoted to GM and perhaps even afterward.... was certainly part of the process, but by no means anything approaching the level of, say, Bill Polian.

I wouldn't heap a whole lot of the credit or blame on Grigson for the Eagles drafts.... they appear to have had more of a "by committee" approach to their drafts than we Colts fans are used to.