Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Colts QB room for the 2021 season

Four2itus

I'd like to have a discussion about the final QB room that Colts may have starting game 1, and how it is unique. To clarify, there are many threads discussing whether or not Carson, or Jacob will live up to the fans expectations this season. This, hopefully, is more about how success for the Colt this season will align the QB room for the future. 

Assuming Carson is going to take over the Colts offense and put the team in a position to get to....and to win in the playoffs.....how does that affect the unique QB room?

First of all, Carson is still a fairly young man, and if he indeed finds a rebirth of his very skilled game, I would not be surprised to see him earn another contract. Likely an extension in 2023? If he does not find his game at a high enough level again, there are so many scenarios, it is not worth even speculating for me. 

Next, Jacob Eason is a really unique player. Not only does he have a howitzer for an arm, but his QB rating in college is pretty impressive at 132.3. Add to that the fact that because of transfers, and other factors, his wear and tear is extremely low...what....29 games in 5 years? Good or bad, I feel confident saying that his situation is quite different from most. At 6'6"/231, he has an imposing stature. Hopefully this preseason, fans get to see what kind of player this young man has developed into. But.....when will he get to play?

Next, Sam Ehlinger brings a tough, winning attitude to the QB room. His stats and awards speak to his makeup. IMO, he is the perfect 3rd qb to join the team. Often, fans rate QB's by their perception of how they will or won't replace the current starter at some point, without realizing that unique skill sets and/or knowledge/attitude can also play a big part of the selection for how it benefits the  team as a whole...regardless of the likelihood of them becoming a full time starter. He is not as tall as an ideal QB should be in he NFL, but he has aspects to his game that are hard to find. 

Jalen Morten as a kid who played baseball, threw almost 100 fast ball. He can chuck it as well. Has a degree in Mech. engineering, and likes to invent stuff. Kid has some skills as evidenced by his yards on the ground in addition to his arm. 

So kudos to Ballard for providing the team with a solid vet, and lots of possibilities behind him. As I think if this.....it could go so many ways. If Carson does what we hope? Jacob will eventually get traded or his contract will not get renewed....as he will want to get a shot at starting. 

What say you?

1 hour ago, Four2itus said:

I'd like to have a discussion about the final QB room that Colts may have starting game 1, and how it is unique. To clarify, there are many threads discussing whether or not Carson, or Jacob will live up to the fans expectations this season. This, hopefully, is more about how success for the Colt this season will align the QB room for the future. 

Assuming Carson is going to take over the Colts offense and put the team in a position to get to....and to win in the playoffs.....how does that affect the unique QB room?

First of all, Carson is still a fairly young man, and if he indeed finds a rebirth of his very skilled game, I would not be surprised to see him earn another contract. Likely an extension in 2023? If he does not find his game at a high enough level again, there are so many scenarios, it is not worth even speculating for me. 

Next, Jacob Eason is a really unique player. Not only does he have a howitzer for an arm, but his QB rating in college is pretty impressive at 132.3. Add to that the fact that because of transfers, and other factors, his wear and tear is extremely low...what....29 games in 5 years? Good or bad, I feel confident saying that his situation is quite different from most. At 6'6"/231, he has an imposing stature. Hopefully this preseason, fans get to see what kind of player this young man has developed into. But.....when will he get to play?

Next, Sam Ehlinger brings a tough, winning attitude to the QB room. His stats and awards speak to his makeup. IMO, he is the perfect 3rd qb to join the team. Often, fans rate QB's by their perception of how they will or won't replace the current starter at some point, without realizing that unique skill sets and/or knowledge/attitude can also play a big part of the selection for how it benefits the  team as a whole...regardless of the likelihood of them becoming a full time starter. He is not as tall as an ideal QB should be in he NFL, but he has aspects to his game that are hard to find. 

Jalen Morten as a kid who played baseball, threw almost 100 fast ball. He can chuck it as well. Has a degree in Mech. engineering, and likes to invent stuff. Kid has some skills as evidenced by his yards on the ground in addition to his arm. 

So kudos to Ballard for providing the team with a solid vet, and lots of possibilities behind him. As I think if this.....it could go so many ways. If Carson does what we hope? Jacob will eventually get traded or his contract will not get renewed....as he will want to get a shot at starting. 

What say you?

Until we see them play, honestly, could go anywhere from great to holy crap, bring back Curtis Painter

I like the raw talent of our QB room. 

But….  

All of them need a lot of attention and that translates to time with coaches.   And that’s the thing, there are only so many hours in a day, a week, or a season.   Someone is going to get shorted attention from the coaches.   Just as Eason got shorted last year, Ehlinger and Morton will likely get shorted this year. 

So I see Ehlinger going to the PS, and Morton gets cut.  Wentz and Eason will get all the attention. 

The concern is that the room is young.  No experienced wise veteran QB to counsel Wentz.   Wisdom and experience is what Hasselbeck gave Luck.  That’s only going to come to Wentz from the coaches.  Which is acceptable but not ideal. 

The room is going to be interesting.  This year, next year and beyond….. 

8 hours ago, Four2itus said:

What say you?

If they Colts thought that highly of Eason why would they have signed Wentz? Why would they have drafted Ehlinger? 

8 hours ago, Thebrashandthebold said:

If they Colts thought that highly of Eason why would they have signed Wentz? Why would they have drafted Ehlinger? 

Good point. YOU could make the case that they think Eason has just as good of a chance to take us to the promised land this season, And beyond.
  If so, you are thinking that Eason and any cheap couple of backups would have sufficed. I like the way you are thinking Brash! chuckel!!!
 For the Common man, his points were not that hard to understand.  
 Simple and rational they were, seemingly hard to go off the rails with.
 But then again...   :wall:

10 hours ago, Thebrashandthebold said:

Im not sure if you’re being serious.  Eason has yet to see a game, and really didn’t even get many reps in practice last year.  Ehlinger is a 6th round pick. In other words, a project.  Wentz is a bonafide franchise QB, even if it remains to be proven again.

Preseason is going to be fun.  I assume Eason will play with some of the starting Oline.  But the other two are known to be very good scramblers, and they’ll need to be while playing behind 2nd and 3rd stringers.  I won’t be surprised if Morton looks better than Ehlinger, he’s bigger and has a better arm.  

Considering how the Colts are co-favorites in the AFC South with a very strong team that many analysts consider playoff and SB contenders I would be surprised If Ballard does not add veteran QB to back up Wentz.  I think that would be a very risky move on his part not to.  I know Eason is coming along but to potentially risk the season on him and his lack of experience being the back up does not seem Ballard like to me.  Every win every game is important.  I would feel much better if we carried three QB's on the active roster with a veteran and Eason rounding out the group.  

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

Considering how the Colts are co-favorites in the AFC South with a very strong team that many analysts consider playoff and SB contenders I would be surprised If Ballard does not add veteran QB to back up Wentz.  I think that would be a very risky move on his part not to.  I know Eason is coming along but to potentially risk the season on him and his lack of experience being the back up does not seem Ballard like to me.  Every win every game is important.  I would feel much better if we carried three QB's on the active roster with a veteran and Eason rounding out the group.  

A couple of the media guys said they have been told the colts are fine with Eason being the backup and if he looks bad in camp and preseason they feel they can find a vet at that time. I would rather have Eason who is young and has yet a undetermined ceiling then some journeyman who we know won’t take us anywhere if Wentz gets hurt.

13 hours ago, Thebrashandthebold said:

Seriously?

Goodness gracious.      :facepalm:

The team is built to win now.  They needed an experienced QB now.   That’s not Eason.  He’s trying to be the backup.   But he’s an unknown quantity.  

Wentz is the natural undisputed starter. 

Eason is the front runner to be the backup 

Ehlinger is a promising prospect, but who likely needs a redshirt year like Eason got last year.   Ehlinger can get another look in the 2022 off-season and pre-season to see how much he’s improved. 

6 hours ago, Wentzszn said:

A couple of the media guys said they have been told the colts are fine with Eason being the backup and if he looks bad in camp and preseason they feel they can find a vet at that time. I would rather have Eason who is young and has yet a undetermined ceiling then some journeyman who we know won’t take us anywhere if Wentz gets hurt.

I can understand the team's desire for Eason to be the backup but it's not fair to the rest of the team who will be working hard to make the playoffs to put the team's chance of success on the back of a rookie QB for the most part.  I can see letting camp and preseason unfold but it will be an even shorter preseason.  Not a lot of time really.  Until Eason really proves himself I would rather go with an experienced journeyman to hold the fort and he would probably give us a better chance at victory.  At least he would also be on the roster so they would have a choice. That's why I'm expecting them to add a veteran QB and have three on the roster.  That way he can learn the playbook and be ready if need be.  

13 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I can understand the team's desire for Eason to be the backup but it's not fair to the rest of the team who will be working hard to make the playoffs to put the team's chance of success on the back of a rookie QB for the most part.  I can see letting camp and preseason unfold but it will be an even shorter preseason.  Not a lot of time really.  Until Eason really proves himself I would rather go with an experienced journeyman to hold the fort and he would probably give us a better chance at victory.  At least he would also be on the roster so they would have a choice. That's why I'm expecting them to add a veteran QB and have three on the roster.  That way he can learn the playbook and be ready if need be.  

Hoyer. That is all i am going to say. Was it fair to them for that.

There is one vet backup I would be fine going  to get. He has a SB and Reich knows him well. That would be Foles. Everyone else to me is garbage and I would rather have Eason. He has built some good relationships with the WR. Pitman and Patmon are his good friends. 

23 hours ago, Thebrashandthebold said:

Agreed.  Reading between the lines on their decision making for the QB room leads me to think they weren't impressed with Eason.  Their moves do seem to indicate they were looking for more at the starting job and on the depth chart.  

But that doesn't mean Eason can't step it up and change all that.  He probably plans to win the starting job right now.  That should be his plan.  Otherwise he's definitely not the right guy.

And re: Ehlinger I'll say this...  I like scrappy backups.  I like a guy who comes in with an ability to run the ball if he needs to in order to get into the flow of the game.  The guy who has some intensity to him, that's my type of depth chart option.  So I think he's interesting.  I don't think he's likely to jump Eason or anything but I wouldn't rule it out.  

Just in general to the OP, It's simply all about Wentz. ALL....

Eason is a long term project. I'm just hopeful he makes a good backup. Anything more is a bonus. He'll be a cheap QB2 at worst. Will he be QB1 material in a few years, who knows. I am very interested to see how he does in the preseason.

Sam, IMO, is just a late round grab/project. Could be similar to a practice camp body/FA, or could be a guy they develop into a package/gimmick guy. I just don't expect much.

15 hours ago, Wentzszn said:

Hoyer. That is all i am going to say. Was it fair to them for that.

There is one vet backup I would be fine going  to get. He has a SB and Reich knows him well. That would be Foles. Everyone else to me is garbage and I would rather have Eason. He has built some good relationships with the WR. Pitman and Patmon are his good friends. 

Hasselbeck.   I like that one better than Hoyer.  Foles contract is pretty rich I think maybe 14m so I don't think we would trade for him.  Now if they cut him I'm good with that.  Another QB I would be okay with trading for is Mason Rudolph of the Steelers.  If they give the backup spot to Haskins he might be available.  Maybe Wilkins for Rudolph would work.  He's a three year vet that that could also get better under Reich.  Eason is so raw to put the entire offense on his back if something should happen to Wentz IMO.  He is such an unknown right now.  I hope we carry three and find an experienced backup.  It's the most important position on the team.  I wouldn't take the risk on Eason alone.  

If Wentz goes down for extended time this season it's more than likely going to be a wash, because that's what happens 95% of the time a starting QB misses extended time. 

We need to see preseason before any of this can be assessed from here. I'd like to think Eason, in the system, would have a better chance at keeping the season alive than someone like Mason Rudolph. I see names like that and I'm reminded there's only a handful of guys who can even kind of play the position and I'm not sure there's an clear upgrade that'd be a reasonably priced anyway. More than likely you're making a lateral move and paying a lot to do it.

9 minutes ago, The Fish said:

If Wentz goes down for extended time this season it's more than likely going to be a wash, because that's what happens 95% of the time a starting QB misses extended time. 

We need to see preseason before any of this can be assessed from here. I'd like to think Eason, in the system, would have a better chance at keeping the season alive than someone like Mason Rudolph. I see names like that and I'm reminded there's only a handful of guys who can even kind of play the position and I'm not sure there's an clear upgrade that'd be a reasonably priced anyway. More than likely you're making a lateral move and paying a lot to do it.

No doubt we will wait to see how the preseason unfolds.  Rudolph has been a backup for three years and has seen considerable action.  That's a big advantage over Eason who will most likely play this pre season against backups and men trying to make the team.  That's a big advantage in Rudolph's favor.  Trading a back up like Wilkens is not paying a lot IMO.  This is most likely his last year with the team if he is not traded.  So it would make sense to consider moving him for the right reason   If we were not viewed as contenders I can see going with Eason alone but being contenders changes things for me.  I would want an experienced backup QB behind my starter.  

I really hope Eason mentally advanced because I guarantee he is going to start at least 1 regular season game (unless Ehlringer is lights out pre season).  Wentz is very much like Luck and is going to extend plays but also take hits. He doesn’t start full seasons.  OL upgrade? Yes but that wont guarantee health. Hopefully if Eason has to start its not early in the year.  

2 minutes ago, IndyColtScout said:

I really hope Eason mentally advanced because I guarantee he is going to start at least 1 regular season game (unless Ehlringer is lights out pre season).  Wentz is very much like Luck and is going to extend plays but also take hits. He doesn’t start full seasons.  OL upgrade? Yes but that wont guarantee health. Hopefully if Eason has to start its not early in the year.  

I'd bet Reich's conservative O, along with the upgraded OL, keeps him much safer than Philly. 

Wentz started every game in 2019, and didn't miss any time in 2020 due to injury. He really hasn't been injured since 2018, and has had no "repeat" injuries to his two injury incidents (knee in 17, back in 18).

Archived