Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Anyone hear any buzz on Zaire Franklin?

EastStreet

Just spoke to a bud back in Indy, and he said he's heard some buzz on the local radio stations that Franklin was getting a lot of time during OTAs. Speed too, but not as much as Franklin. Whoever it was on the radio I guess said Franklin was easily the 3rd LB, probably the MIKE when we go three LBs, and might be competing for starting MIKE (at least vs run heavy teams). Back to a time share at MIKE similar to Walker/Oke?

If true, not sure how I feel about it. I certainly am concerned with Oke being an every down LBer, but was hoping Speed might make some noise. Sounds like Franklin might be making more.. I do recall Franklin had a high RAS, and was also multi year team captain in college (team captain last year too). 

Huh... 

Anyone hear anything locally?

25 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Just spoke to a bud back in Indy, and he said he's heard some buzz on the local radio stations that Franklin was getting a lot of time during OTAs. Speed too, but not as much as Franklin. Whoever it was on the radio I guess said Franklin was easily the 3rd LB, probably the MIKE when we go three LBs, and might be competing for starting MIKE (at least vs run heavy teams). Back to a time share at MIKE similar to Walker/Oke?

If true, not sure how I feel about it. I certainly am concerned with Oke being an every down LBer, but was hoping Speed might make some noise. Sounds like Franklin might be making more.. I do recall Franklin had a high RAS, and was also multi year team captain in college (team captain last year too). 

Huh... 

I heard Polian speak of Franklin as the starter at Mike during his podcast review of the AFC south. I didnt take it that serious when he said it bc he also spoke of Banogu as one of the starters at DE so that made me question how informed he was.

28 minutes ago, krunk said:

I heard Polian speak of Franklin as the starter at Mike during his podcast review of the AFC south. I didnt take it that serious when he said it bc he also spoke of Banogu as one of the starters at DE so that made me question how informed he was.

I think I recall that, but I don't recall him saying Banogu would be a starter. IIRC, he was talking about guys competing for DE pre-draft when we were still without Houston and Autry.???

25 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Nfl rumors had a tweet today there might be some interest in KJ Wright. I do worry about our depth after Leonard and Okereke.

Wright has played WILL and SAM, but easily has the size to play MIKE. His grades last year were good.  I think he might have even switched to ILB/MIKE last year. I know he switched positions, just can't remember from what to what. I know he played OLB most of career. 

19 minutes ago, HectorRoberts said:

I hope this isn’t true franklin is trash

He's been so limited from a snaps perspective, what exactly is trash? I mean, Oke graded sub 50 last year and really struggled vs the pass, which was thought to be his strong suit.

I'm getting ready to dig into his stats, but I don't recall anything awful when he was in.

16 minutes ago, WentzinRome said:

I remember reading that he was working at the strong side linebacker, 1st team, but it is OTA's.  I liked him at Syracuse, but I am unsure if he will be anything other than depth, at this point?

Yep, I think at minimum he'd be starting at either SAM or MIKE in those 25%ish of the snaps we use 3 LBs.

So here are our LB stats from last year

Player       Snaps   Tackles    Ts/Snap  Missed T%    PFF

Leonard     825      132          0.16         5%             72.6

Walker       697       92           0.13         6.1%          48.0

Oke           685        72           0.10        5.3%           49.6

Franklin      86         19           0.22        0%              69.3

Welp, in the limited snaps, his Ts/Snap and PFF aren't bad... 

22 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Nope, they certainly aren't.  Like I said earlier, I liked him at Syracuse, and it looks like if used in the reduced role at SSLB, he may prevail.

3 minutes ago, WentzinRome said:

Nope, the certainly aren't.  Like I said earlier, I liked him at Syracuse, and it looks like if used in the reduced role at SSLB, he may prevail.

Honestly, after looking at his stats, he looks like a tackle machine in his limited snaps lol. 

I'd actually like to see him get a look at early down MIKE, or MIKE vs run heavy teams.

From his Bio

"Franklin was a two-time All-Atlantic Coast Conference selection.[1] Additionally, he was only the second three-time captain in Orange football history and the first since 1896"

RAS

zaire-franklin-ras.png?resize=806,522&ss

D3bBfa-WAAE35X7.png

3 hours ago, EastStreet said:

It sure looks like he’s going to be the starter unless someone surprisingly beats him out.  He is far from being considered trash.  I would bet he was the planned replacement for Walker all along.  Looks like the think he is ready.

11 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

It sure looks like he’s going to be the starter unless someone surprisingly beats him out.  He is far from being considered trash.  I would bet he was the planned replacement for Walker all along.  Looks like the think he is ready.

The truth is the colts don’t hardly ever play 3 LB. Maybe like 15% to 20% of the snaps. I hope someone is ready to step up if Leonard or Okereke get hurt. 

5 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Huh... 

bobby will be a stud and is 100 percent a every down mike linebacker . speed should play sam because he has quickness .   franklin is a solid mike backup

4 hours ago, HectorRoberts said:

I hope this isn’t true franklin is trash

walker  was the worst linebacker last year in coverage on the colts .    there is a reason walker was let go instead of resigned for 3 million a year.  franklin cant be much worse than what we had and is a good run stopper

4 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Leonard’s snaps were surprisingly small.  Double checked and he missed two full games and likely 3/4 of another game.  

His totals make more sense in that context. 

8 hours ago, richard pallo said:

IDK. From almost everything I've read, Oke was penciled in as 3 down Mike, and Reich and Ballard have been talking like he's the one. It's only been lately that I've been hearing chatter on Zaire. I think many of us assumed he or Speed would be the #3 LBer, but I'm just starting to get the vibe he may press for more. Not sure how it all shakes out, but my personal opinion is it just ends up being a time share like we had with Walker and Oke.

8 hours ago, Wentzszn said:

The truth is the colts don’t hardly ever play 3 LB. Maybe like 15% to 20% of the snaps. I hope someone is ready to step up if Leonard or Okereke get hurt. 

Could be scary lol. I think we'll take a step back regardless when it comes to LBs even if all stay healthy.

8 hours ago, coming on strong said:

bobby will be a stud and is 100 percent a every down mike linebacker . speed should play sam because he has quickness .   franklin is a solid mike backup

What specifically makes you think that about Oke?

Oke graded sub 50, and his pass D wasn't good last year either. Oke gave up a 78.7% completion rate (Walker was 76%) so not a lot of difference. And Walker was playing the run on early downs mostly, while Oke was at least in sets where play calls were made to defend the pass. Not saying Walker was anything special, but not sure how you can be adamant that Oke will be a stud. And he has always struggled mightily vs the run (in traffic) going back to his college days.

As far as quickness is concerned (and RAS in general) Franklin's scores were just as good as Speed's or better. Speed just has much better size.

OuBQ0rQ_3Hqf4B9Doq42FKfwFwzdo9qX28vkPiNe

I want to see several snaps of EJ Speed at Mike during the preseason. As far as the athlete is concerned i think hes got all the traits you need in a Mike. Size, speed, striking ability. I could easily see him running down the middle in Tampa 2 coverage plus other things.

2 hours ago, krunk said:

I want to see several snaps of EJ Speed at Mike during the preseason. As far as the athlete is concerned i think hes got all the traits you need in a Mike. Size, speed, striking ability. I could easily see him running down the middle in Tampa 2 coverage plus other things.

I love his combo of size and speed. I think the bag on him was coverage, but not for sure. That's of course along with the obvious small school / low comp college background.

37 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I love his combo of size and speed. I think the bag on him was coverage, but not for sure. That's of course along with the obvious small school / low comp college background.

I dont think he did too bad the few snaps i saw him at Mike (rookie year) but i did think he had a few things to tighten up coverage wise. I want to get a more extensive look.

3 minutes ago, krunk said:

I dont think he did too bad the few snaps i saw him at Mike (rookie year) but i did think he had a few things to tighten up coverage wise. I want to get a more extensive look.

I'd love to see him get a lot of preseason time. Franklin too. 

I didn't realize how much I'd miss preseason.. 

8 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Could be scary lol. I think we'll take a step back regardless when it comes to LBs even if all stay healthy.

Oke graded sub 50, and his pass D wasn't good last year either. Oke gave up a 78.7% completion rate (Walker was 76%) so not a lot of difference. And Walker was playing the run on early downs mostly, while Oke was at least in sets where play calls were made to defend the pass. Not saying Walker was anything special, but not sure how you can be adamant that Oke will be a stud. And he has always struggled mightily vs the run (in traffic) going back to his college days.

As far as quickness is concerned (and RAS in general) Franklin's scores were just as good as Speed's or better. Speed just has much better size.

its bobbys long arms and legs and his athletic ability jumps off the tape at me .  He only played two years and shown flashes jumping off the tape at me .  bobby and rock will be studs and both have ups and downs .  just like vontae davis he had bad downs and high ups and look what happened .  i would bet money they both plus turray and lewis have massive seasons

1 hour ago, coming on strong said:

its bobbys long arms and legs and his athletic ability jumps off the tape at me .  He only played two years and shown flashes jumping off the tape at me .  bobby and rock will be studs and both have ups and downs .  just like vontae davis he had bad downs and high ups and look what happened .  i would bet money they both plus turray and lewis have massive seasons

Arms/legs/athletic ability don't always translate. For instance, Speed and Franklin have much better traits (see RAS) than Oke. 

Oke's tape is very very up and down to me. I've seen very good and very bad. I've followed USC (not as close as ND) for a long time, and followed recruiting closely (nationally). I'm just not sold on Oke knowing his entire history (USC to present). I was higher on Ya-Sin, but IMO he might end up being a bad scheme fit. He could also end up being good. So could Oke. I'm just not sold on either. Both played well late rook seasons, but have regressed. I really hope both have a nice jump this year. 

2 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Arms/legs/athletic ability don't always translate. For instance, Speed and Franklin have much better traits (see RAS) than Oke. 

Oke's tape is very very up and down to me. I've seen very good and very bad. I've followed USC (not as close as ND) for a long time, and followed recruiting closely (nationally). I'm just not sold on Oke knowing his entire history (USC to present). I was higher on Ya-Sin, but IMO he might end up being a bad scheme fit. He could also end up being good. So could Oke. I'm just not sold on either. Both played well late rook seasons, but have regressed. I really hope both have a nice jump this year. 

Bobby played for Stanford not USC,,,,the Okereke for USC was a different player.

4 minutes ago, holeymoley99 said:

Bobby played for Stanford not USC,,,,the Okereke for USC was a different player.

sorry. having cocktails and have neighbors over ... Indy 500 and Laker lose (yahoo)..

I know Oke is from Stanford. Confused the schools in my haste to type and still entertain the folks.

I've actually provided the vid of Oke getting trucked by Dexter W (ND) on multiple occasions. 

3 hours ago, EastStreet said:

bobby had flashes where i did not see the same for frankiln who is solid .  the colts must have huge faith in bobby to let walker go .  well see but i think he can be great

16 hours ago, EastStreet said:

IDK. From almost everything I've read, Oke was penciled in as 3 down Mike, and Reich and Ballard have been talking like he's the one. It's only been lately that I've been hearing chatter on Zaire. I think many of us assumed he or Speed would be the #3 LBer, but I'm just starting to get the vibe he may press for more. Not sure how it all shakes out, but my personal opinion is it just ends up being a time share like we had with Walker and Oke.

Do u also think they could b protecting themselves  in case Leonards contract demands become crazy??

On 5/29/2021 at 4:54 PM, WentzinRome said:

I remember reading that he was working at the strong side linebacker, 1st team, but it is OTA's.  I liked him at Syracuse, but I am unsure if he will be anything other than depth, at this point?

As quick as the Colts go to nickel, I'm not worried that the Sam can be handled by the depth players. Franklin has always been a hitter and has some speed. 

10 minutes ago, bleevit said:

As quick as the Colts go to nickel, I'm not worried that the Sam can be handled by the depth players. Franklin has always been a hitter and has some speed. 

Yeah I trust 44 & 45 

On 5/30/2021 at 6:23 AM, EastStreet said:

From his name I just assumed he was actually fast. 4.8? Not so much..

21 hours ago, coming on strong said:

You'd bet money that Okereke, Ya-Sin, Turay, and Lewis all have massive seasons?!

Vegas must love you lol.

I would say to many people look at last year as an absolute. Rock and Oke both struggled amount others. They were in their second years and had almost no off-season. I can easily see how this hurt progression. This year hopefully will be a huge jump for a large part of our roster. A lot of youth who have been around a few years now. Production becomes very important to remain on a roster. 

I also love Ballards thoughts on always making sure there is competition. I hope Oke knows Franklin wants his snaps. Let the best man play. 

On 5/30/2021 at 8:27 PM, coming on strong said:

bobby had flashes where i did not see the same for frankiln who is solid .  the colts must have huge faith in bobby to let walker go .  well see but i think he can be great

Oke had a lot of opportunity (snaps), and far too little flash IMO. 

He just didn't look great to me (eye test), not did his stats look good. 

Like I said, he's struggled since CFB vs the run, and now he'll be getting a lot more early snaps. 

Hope he does well, just not assuming he will. 

On 5/30/2021 at 10:15 PM, Moosejawcolt said:

Do u also think they could b protecting themselves  in case Leonards contract demands become crazy??

Doubt it has anything to do with Leonard. He's under contract so no need at this point to even think that.

If something did happen to Leonard this year, Oke would likely take over WILL. Purely my opinion, but I think Oke is better suited on the outside anyway. And no, not saying I want him to start at WILL, just saying the other guys are less WILL material with the exception of maybe Speed who fits both profiles.

On 5/31/2021 at 9:38 AM, Mackrel829 said:

You'd bet money that Okereke, Ya-Sin, Turay, and Lewis all have massive seasons?!

Vegas must love you lol.

I’m not in the camp that they will all have massive seasons.   But I think all are capable of improvement.  Perhaps significant improvement. 

And you know who else thinks so?   Chris Ballard and his staff.   

We let Walker leave to give more opportunity to Oke. 

We’re running back the same CB crew with no real changes. 

We let Houston and Autry walk out the door.  Lewis is the apparent front runner at LDE and Turay we expect to be healthy enough to get more productive snaps. 

The actions of the front office says they believe there will be improvement with the players you mentioned.   How much improvement is the question? 

Archived