Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Who is our 3rd LB?

Caffrey

I'm a little surprised it has not been discussed or mentioned as a FA or draft need.  With Anthony Walker gone to Cleveland.  We have 2 solid LB's in Darius Leonard and Bobby Okereke.  Is it set and the coaching staff comfortable with Matthew Adams or Zaire Franklin who IMO have played fair in limited playing time.  E.J. Speed I've only seen on special teams.  A 3rd playmaking LB would be nice.  I know it is not likely, that they would consider moving Paye to MLB with his 4.52 speed.  I  remember Steeler Coach Tomlin said they were planning  on drafting Dwight Freeney and move him to LB.

I think the front runner to be the third linebacker are....

Either EJ Speed or Matt Adams.   Speed might have more pure raw talent.   Adams has more higher level experience both in college and with the Colts.  

And we still might draft a LB on Day 3. 

Walker was a 'good' player for us.  He provided 'great' leadership as a late round draft pick.  Like Ballard said, 'someday, that guy will be a coach'... his game speed was faster than his athleticism.  

EJ Speed is one of the best athletes on the team, his big knock was he was from a smaller school and was a WR before a LBer... he has had 3 years of NFL coaching... he'll be fine.  

Ballard is doing a great job of turning this team into the best athletic team in the NFL and replacing guys like Walker (albeit, I like Walker, great FB player, great person) with well-coached athletes.

'

7 hours ago, Caffrey said:

I'm a little surprised it has not been discussed or mentioned as a FA or draft need.  With Anthony Walker gone to Cleveland.  We have 2 solid LB's in Darius Leonard and Bobby Okereke.  Is it set and the coaching staff comfortable with Matthew Adams or Zaire Franklin who IMO have played fair in limited playing time.  E.J. Speed I've only seen on special teams.  A 3rd playmaking LB would be nice.  I know it is not likely, that they would consider moving Paye to MLB with his 4.52 speed.  I  remember Steeler Coach Tomlin said they were planning  on drafting Dwight Freeney and move him to LB.

TBD on who the 3rd LB will be. 

With 100% certainty I can tell you who it will not be. Paye will not be playing linebacker for the Colts. 

8 hours ago, Caffrey said:

Tomlin was a defensive backs coach in Tampa when Freeney was drafted

9 hours ago, Caffrey said:

Walker barely played in games toward the end of the year.... Eg 19 snaps vs. Buffalo.... We don't play enough 4-3 to use another high lick on LBer I guess

Well considering that the Colts defense only plays 3 Linebackers on the field something like 30% of the time, I think between Adams(Who started @ SLB a couple years back) , Franklin, and Speed they are in decent shape.  I wouldn't rule out a late pick though or many picking up a Vet after the draft.

12 hours ago, CurBeatElite said:

Walker was a 'good' player for us.  He provided 'great' leadership as a late round draft pick.  Like Ballard said, 'someday, that guy will be a coach'... his game speed was faster than his athleticism.  

EJ Speed is one of the best athletes on the team, his big knock was he was from a smaller school and was a WR before a LBer... he has had 3 years of NFL coaching... he'll be fine.  

Ballard is doing a great job of turning this team into the best athletic team in the NFL and replacing guys like Walker (albeit, I like Walker, great FB player, great person) with well-coached athletes.

'

Would you consider being a coachable athlete more important than coachable football player? Athlete in my mind says strong measurables. Football players might be a tick less but has the leadership, IQ, grit, intangibles. Would also say that all NFL players are elite athletes. Im just drawn to elite football players more.

31 minutes ago, Caffrey said:

I thought the Colts was trying Banogu at LB in his rookie year but that did not work out and played him at DE.  Perhaps he could not grasp the pass defense concept needed to play LB.

I actually heard it recently.  I'm trying to remember where.  Someone on TV or radio said they were moving Banogu to LB.  Since I hadn't heard it anywhere else, I assumed it was a mistake.  

Yeah, they drafted him with the Seattle Leo position in mind, but that never materialized.  It seems the front office has gone into seasons with ideas about expanding things defensively, trying new things, but Eberflus always reverts back to the simple side of things.  

Archived