Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Covid and season going forward, an idea.

JPFolks

We have rising issues, not the least of which is the 49ers not having a place to play or practice and Denver having no Quarterback to use.  We have lost 3 starters, other teams are worse off.  So here's my plan to address it: 

1. Every team gets to "drop" any two games (for playoff purposes only) from their record.  This means we don't need to add weeks and teams can opt out of 2 games if things get bad enough and still have  fair chance to compete in the playoffs.  So all teams records would only include the results of 14 games of their choice.  (I know tie breakers etc. would be effected, but some sacrifice must be made).  So if you are 9-7, you could drop two losses to 9-5.  If you are 11-5 you drop two to 11-3.  This is simply so they can finish the season with a full playoff seeding that is as fair as possible.  Teams that play full seasons would get credit for all of them for all purposes except playoff seeding.  Stats etc. would all count as normal.  

2. Teams that elect not to play could drop that game (and up to one other) if they really can't play.  The opposing team would, by default, get a win at 2 to 0.  (Which I believe I saw is the score of a forfeited game).  To keep one team from quitting in a case where both teams wanted to, they would have to submit a yes/no to the commissioner in secret in case BOTH teams planned to drop the game.  Those games would be a 0-0 tie.  This would also allow teams that have locked up a spot from even risking their players health on needless games, as well as teams eliminated.  Not perfect, but better than what we might see happening.  I think league approval would be necessary for a team to not play at all.  

3.  I believe we'll see the 49ers end up playing out the season in Dallas or Phoenix.  Other teams have already considered options in case their states shut down (I think it is absurd what has happened in the SF area, but that is what people voted for, so be it.  

4.  All players should be allowed to opt out in the next week just as they could pre-season.  They may want to be with their family.  Let them.  The rest of the players should go into a hotel until the season ends to shut down Covid for good among teams.  If they do it immediately, then instead of dropping 2 games, they may be able to make it one.  Again, this would ONLY be for playoff seeding purposes.  

That's my thought.  No plan (including what they are doing currently) is perfect.  What are your ideas?  

26 minutes ago, JPFolks said:

We have rising issues, not the least of which is the 49ers not having a place to play or practice and Denver having no Quarterback to use.  We have lost 3 starters, other teams are worse off.  So here's my plan to address it: 

1. Every team gets to "drop" any two games (for playoff purposes only) from their record.  This means we don't need to add weeks and teams can opt out of 2 games if things get bad enough and still have  fair chance to compete in the playoffs.  So all teams records would only include the results of 14 games of their choice.  (I know tie breakers etc. would be effected, but some sacrifice must be made).  So if you are 9-7, you could drop two losses to 9-5.  If you are 11-5 you drop two to 11-3.  This is simply so they can finish the season with a full playoff seeding that is as fair as possible.  Teams that play full seasons would get credit for all of them for all purposes except playoff seeding.  Stats etc. would all count as normal.  

2. Teams that elect not to play could drop that game (and up to one other) if they really can't play.  The opposing team would, by default, get a win at 2 to 0.  (Which I believe I saw is the score of a forfeited game).  To keep one team from quitting in a case where both teams wanted to, they would have to submit a yes/no to the commissioner in secret in case BOTH teams planned to drop the game.  Those games would be a 0-0 tie.  This would also allow teams that have locked up a spot from even risking their players health on needless games, as well as teams eliminated.  Not perfect, but better than what we might see happening.  I think league approval would be necessary for a team to not play at all.  

3.  I believe we'll see the 49ers end up playing out the season in Dallas or Phoenix.  Other teams have already considered options in case their states shut down (I think it is absurd what has happened in the SF area, but that is what people voted for, so be it.  

4.  All players should be allowed to opt out in the next week just as they could pre-season.  They may want to be with their family.  Let them.  The rest of the players should go into a hotel until the season ends to shut down Covid for good among teams.  If they do it immediately, then instead of dropping 2 games, they may be able to make it one.  Again, this would ONLY be for playoff seeding purposes.  

That's my thought.  No plan (including what they are doing currently) is perfect.  What are your ideas?  

Not a bad idea. My only pause really is in some of the tighter divisions, it could change who wins that division and keep the normal leading team from being in the playoffs 

7 hours ago, EastStreet said:

The issue is, we simply have a lot of FAs due to many reasons. I'd bet we have near the top of the league in that aspect. We could still sign a big name, but we'd have to cast off some big contributors, and sign a lot of low dollar guys.

doubt Ballard is just happy with making the playoffs.

I'm sure JB wants to go to a place where he can compete for a starters gig. Anyway, I don't see him back unless Eason takes over as starter, and at this point, I don't see that happening. 

Meh. fear mongering. We'll have meds starting in Dec. People right now aren't happy with lockdowns and are willing to risk things. When we get meds, they'll be even more resolute about being out. 

Not fear mongering. I don't think these NFL players are in ANY real danger when they don't even show symptoms.  Overreactions are connected with one mindset.  My entire family is in direct line of fire every workday since the start. No one cares about them, but we panic if healthy pro athletes with no symptoms test positive.

I am not fearful of anything but hidden agendas masquerading as precaution and those precautions are destroying lives in greater numbers than the disease.  75K extra suicides in the USA alone due to these stressors.  Guess what HELPS people deal with the stress? Sports.  In fact I firmly believe the NFL simply playing has saved countless lives.  Now SF has banned contact sports.  I imagine more insanity will follow. 

I do hope you are right in that people will wake up and restore sanity.  Let's hope the NFL doesn't buckle. 

54 minutes ago, coltsva said:

Start playoffs a week later, using "week 18" as a make up date. Take out Super Bowl bye week.

So what if next week Houston can't play, then the next week LV can't lay? How could we make up both games in one week? And it could be not our fault. Pitt has been hosed over this already and things are just starting to get bad. Or what if Baltimore has so many guys out they can't field a team, but t hen next week it is Pitts turn to collapse? I think we just have to let massively infected teams forfeit but give the league a break by letting them drop a game or two.  

8 hours ago, ponyboy said:

And teams can drop wins for draft positioning? :)

That's an interesting point. I'd likely only let people drop games for playoff consideration, but I do see where an argument could be made that is you take advantage of improving your playoff positioning, it decreases your draft positioning.  Good point Pony. 

8 hours ago, danlhart87 said:

NFL in 2021

Eliminate tackling and start flag football

:peek:

I am just trying to even things. TN is the biggest beneficiary of the unfair situation since they got early consideration that, for example, we did not get. As it stands we can not likely win our division any longer and yet if we had a full team I think at least it would have been a much much different game.  

On 11/29/2020 at 9:31 AM, coltsva said:

Start playoffs a week later, using "week 18" as a make up date. Take out Super Bowl bye week.

They already have a contingency plan for a Super Bowl in March first weekend. But first order of business or plan is to use Week 18 as a make up date and by scrapping the Pro Bowl, they already set the table for taking out the Super Bowl bye week. At this point, this makes the most sense.

I think they should have planned at the beginning of the season to delay the SB by 2 weeks, to be the week following Valentine's Day on February 21st. That way, they could pretty much give every single team a bye week and the #1 seed 2 bye weeks, almost like college football before the playoffs. This is an exhausting season for so many teams mentally and I felt every playoff team could have used 2 bye weeks, 1 right before the playoffs.

On 11/29/2020 at 10:17 AM, JPFolks said:

Not fear mongering. I don't think these NFL players are in ANY real danger when they don't even show symptoms.  Overreactions are connected with one mindset.  My entire family is in direct line of fire every workday since the start. No one cares about them, but we panic if healthy pro athletes with no symptoms test positive.

I am not fearful of anything but hidden agendas masquerading as precaution and those precautions are destroying lives in greater numbers than the disease.  75K extra suicides in the USA alone due to these stressors.  Guess what HELPS people deal with the stress? Sports.  In fact I firmly believe the NFL simply playing has saved countless lives.  Now SF has banned contact sports.  I imagine more insanity will follow. 

I do hope you are right in that people will wake up and restore sanity.  Let's hope the NFL doesn't buckle. 

Just amen to this all..

I hope something gets done. Because I'm sick of hearing the Titans smacked the colts around and got revenge.. like heck they did. How come we aren't hearing about how bad the saints trashed the broncos??

23 hours ago, JPFolks said:

I am just trying to even things. TN is the biggest beneficiary of the unfair situation since they got early consideration that, for example, we did not get. As it stands we can not likely win our division any longer and yet if we had a full team I think at least it would have been a much much different game.  

This notion the Colts cant still win the division is asinine.

If we beat Texans and they lose to Browns this week, we are tied again and would just need to beat them by 1 game rest of year.

They end the year with back to back road games @GB and @Hou.

1 minute ago, w87r said:

This notion the Colts cant still win the division is asinine.

If we beat Texans and they lose to Browns this week, we are tied again and would just need to beat them by 1 game rest of year.

They end the year with back to back road games @GB and @Hou.

I prefer the Colts schedule

• Shive locked this topic

Archived