Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

08/28/2020 Friday Colts Practice - Banogu is back

stitches

1 hour ago, EastStreet said:

There's plenty of it. Just look back in @stitches threads or twitter. While I would say "dominated" is a strong word that I don't really subscribe to, the reports suggest Rhodes (more than Rock) is absolutely winning the match up.

For the heck of it , I did go through a few days of reports. Wednesday there was nothing i saw but positive comments. Monday's scrummage doesn't come up for me. The tweets won't fill in. So maybe that's a bad Pitman day. I found this from Monday's practice. I'm thinking maybe it's not as bad as some might be thinking .

Rookie wide receiver Michael Pittman Jr. and second-year cornerback Rock Ya-Sin continue to have really competitive battles lined up out wide. In one 11-on-11 drill on Saturday, Rivers found Pittman Jr. on the quick in against Ya-Sin, who slipped, giving Pittman Jr. room to immediately turn around and get a big chunk of YAC (yards after catch). Those two also split victories in their two 1-on-1 reps, with both reps featuring lots of physicality, much like this pass breakup we saw tweeted out by @Colts from Friday's practice:

5 minutes ago, dw49 said:

I'll take your word for it. All I had seen mentioned were some drops.

I hate hearing about the drops and CBs defending him well, but I'm far from writing him off, or being overly concerned. I think he'll be fine in time. Some have rook jitters, and some just need time. I didn't envision him as dominating early anyway. We have a lot of pass catching talent in several positions, a good running game, and a quick dishing QB. We'll be fine.

6 minutes ago, dw49 said:

For the heck of it , I did go through a few days of reports. Wednesday there was nothing i saw but positive comments. Monday's scrummage doesn't come up for me. The tweets won't fill in. So maybe that's a bad Pitman day. I found this from Monday's practice. I'm thinking maybe it's not as bad as some might be thinking .

Rookie wide receiver Michael Pittman Jr. and second-year cornerback Rock Ya-Sin continue to have really competitive battles lined up out wide. In one 11-on-11 drill on Saturday, Rivers found Pittman Jr. on the quick in against Ya-Sin, who slipped, giving Pittman Jr. room to immediately turn around and get a big chunk of YAC (yards after catch). Those two also split victories in their two 1-on-1 reps, with both reps featuring lots of physicality, much like this pass breakup we saw tweeted out by @Colts from Friday's practice:

Here's a few quick ones. There are positive ones too. I recall Pittman hauling in two RZ catches last week.

pretty sure she means only one completion

17 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I completely disagree here. I'm not too concerned about him getting burned by Xavier because he just needs to learn to get more physical. However, when he is dropping simple passes and he is known for his hands, then you need to worry about him. A receiver is useless when he is dropping passes. Pittman needs to get it together, he has been "very unimpressive" in training camp and practices to say the least. 

Can't say I agree here. For one, the issue with drops? Is a non issue considering how much Rivers spreads the ball around. How many passes have even gone Pittmans ways? So, I disagree with the statement that he has had issues with drops. 

Secondly, as has been stated, Jerry Rice had a lot of drops his rookie season. Another player id like to point out having a lot of drops his rookie year: Reggie Wayne. 

Pittman has a history of having good hands. Just because he has dropped a handful, without much of a camp to speak of, with limited prep time, new QB who throws the ball weird, i can see Pittman letting it get into his head. 

This just simply isn't the time to worry about a rookie dropping a few balls. 

Also don't forget, a couple of those "drops" were punched out by physical cornerback play. 

Its early and im not worried. 

Let's see his camp stats before we listen to a comment on a forum that claims pittman has had a lot of drops because "it seems" that way. Literally no numbers to back up that claim whatsoever. Just someone saying "seems like" shouldn't be enough to worry anyone. 

5 hours ago, Shafty138 said:

Don't hurt yourself stretching that far......and I'm a big fan of Rock's...

IMO it's not a stretch. 

He is learning maybe the 2nd hardest position on the team and he played very well his rookie season. 

On average it takes three years to learn his position. 

9 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Here's a few quick ones. There are positive ones too. I recall Pittman hauling in two RZ catches last week.

Thanks for looking that up. To be honest , I don't think it's all that damning. Some of those could be on Rivers . Possible that the ball arrived late or bad placement. I really think you need to have seen his play to ACCURATELY rate it.

9 hours ago, EastStreet said:

During some of the first practices, there was a day Pittman was 0/3 against Rhodes. 

I really hope this means Rhodes is back to his old all pro self, because he's been getting roasted by pretty much every WR he's seen in the last 2 years. 

Ballard said this on Dakich's show,

"Well, it doesn't take long to see Pittman and Taylor's talent. They're both very, very talented young men; they're both very mature."

I'm not worried one bit about either of them being able to be a rock solid player in the NFL.

1 hour ago, stitches said:

During some of the first practices, there was a day Pittman was 0/3 against Rhodes. 

I really hope this means Rhodes is back to his old all pro self, because he's been getting roasted by pretty much every WR he's seen in the last 2 years. 

This is a good alternative take to saying Pittman isn't cutting it. Rhodes may well be playing at a high level, which in the past was recognized as an All Pro level. If he's playing with renewed vigor and giving it to the rookie, good for him. No better way for Pittman to learn the ropes and grow as a receiver than this. And that also means the Colts have a solid #2 CB across from The Rock. 

14 hours ago, dw49 said:

Thanks for looking that up. To be honest , I don't think it's all that damning. Some of those could be on Rivers . Possible that the ball arrived late or bad placement. I really think you need to have seen his play to ACCURATELY rate it.

The media is there, and the only ones that see. So, unfortunately we take what we can get. Regardless of the accuracy of reporting, I'm not worried. He's a rook. I follow USC and I know what he's capable of. 

13 hours ago, stitches said:

I really hoping that Rhodes is healthy, has a good connection with his prior coach (now with Indy), and is simply back to his old self. He's a seasoned vet going against a rook, so nobody should be really shocked to be honest. IMO, it's likely a mix of a few things. Vanilla play calling at practice, Rhodes back to form, and rook jitters. Not worried.

13 hours ago, Dogg63 said:

"Well, it doesn't take long to see Pittman and Taylor's talent. They're both very, very talented young men; they're both very mature."

I'm not worried one bit about either of them being able to be a rock solid player in the NFL.

Agree. Might take some time though. Folks shouldn't expect the world of rook WRs in year one anyway. 

On 8/28/2020 at 10:41 AM, stitches said:

Pittman has been dropping a lot of balls... that's something I didn't expect from him. He was incredibly secure and reliable with his hands in college. 

I’m not sure he’s flat out dropping them but I saw an earlier video where he caught the ball but Rock strong armed it out  so could be by chance ppl are contesting better than he expected haha  probably needs to work on those jump balls going against a physical Rhodes those will help him with contested passes for sure 

On 8/29/2020 at 10:46 AM, Dogg63 said:

Rhodes always matched up well with physical WR it was the ones with speed he started struggling with that stop and start ability..unless it’s a freak of nature like Julio haha 

Archived