Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Reggie's Year

thetigerfox

With all the talk about drafting Luck, Peyton signing with the Broncos, I think Reggie resigning with the Colts has kinda been buried.

With Luck coming in I see Wayne having his best statistical year yet. Kinda like how Manning leaned heavily on Marvin those first 2 years.

Might not be the prettiest offense we've seen, but Newton leaned heavily on Smith last year, so odds r in Wayne's favor.

Should be fun to watch this new duo grow.

Luck also played with Whalen, his slot receiver, who is very much like Collie. I see the two of them having a good connection as well.Of course, it would help if we add a solid tight end to the mix.

Reggie Wayne: ‘Colt for life’

8:08 PM, Mar. 14, 2012 | Written by Phillip B. Wilson | (Indy Star)Comments

Indianapolis Colts fan favorite Reggie Wayne summed up re-signing with the team succinctly.

“Colt for life,” the wide receiver said today in a media conference call. “I’m going to get that tattoo put on my back.”

Wayne gushed about being able to come back for three more years to the only NFL team he’s known in a standout 11-year career with five Pro Bowl selections.

“I’m not surprised. I knew as this last season was starting to wind down how tied to it I was already,” said Wayne, 33. “When we played our last home game here, we played the Houston Texans and we were able to be victorious against those guys who were humming at the time and well in the lead of the division going into the playoffs. I put everything into perspective before I stepped onto that field.

“It was an emotional time for for me, just sitting in front of my locker thinking about all of the previous years and how this could be the last hooray and yada, yada, yada. I opened a book. I never considered myself to be actually out of the chances of being back in Indy. I will tell you, it wasn’t high on the chain. I can tell you that. Then, with a lot of things going on and with moves being made, it made it even tougher for me to decide. As I sat back and thought about it, this is what it was and this is what it should be. I want to continue my journey here and keep taking the same trip to West 56th street. That’s all I know. I’ve been here 11 years and this is what it is. I bleed blue and I’m going to continue to do so.”

Wayne conceded other teams called and offered more money. But this decision was about being part of rebuilding the team’s foundation, helping a young quarterback (we’re all convinced will be Andrew Luck), and giving fans hope. He heard a lot of negative vibes from fans after the recent releases of QB Peyton Manning, TE Dallas Clark, LB Gary Brackett, RB Joseph Addai and S Melvin Bullitt.

“This is something I felt I had to do,” he said. “Let me tell you something, I’ve been in South Florida for the last week and a half to two weeks and I’ve been hearing some tough stories. I’ve been hearing some loud cries and I’m hearing it all the way down South. This is one good way of adding my two cents and turning some frowns upside down.”

His best line was to a question about how he could be returning to a challenging rebuild with so many cornerstone veterans gone.

“It’s not set in stone that we’re gonna suck,” he said. “Who knows, we might shock the world. This time next year, you might be writing that these Colts are some bad boys. I guess we’ll be in tune to find out what happens. Until then, I’m just going to sit here with the guys we have and keep working at it. Hopefully we can get something going real soon.”

I specifically asked about his devotion to the Colts meaning more than just money.

“It was,” he said. “There were a lot of things that were more important. You’re right, I could have made a couple of dollars more, a couple more pennies. But, I was fine with this situation that I’m in. There was a lot of stuff I had to think about and sit down.

“Right before I made my decision, I took 30 minutes and just closed myself in my office. I told my little 2-year-old, ‘Don’t come in here, daddy is about to negotiate your future.’ I just thought (about) what all made sense and put everything in perspective.”

In the end, Colts fans can be proud that Reg followed his heart.

“I feel like that was the right thing to do and to help build this process and to keep it going,” he said. “I actually had someone looking at my house on Saturday. I almost sold my house. Can you believe that? I almost sold my house and I had a guy who was real interested in buying my house. I’m glad I didn’t sell it.”

With all the talk about drafting Luck, Peyton signing with the Broncos, I think Reggie resigning with the Colts has kinda been buried.

With Luck coming in I see Wayne having his best statistical year yet. Kinda like how Manning leaned heavily on Marvin those first 2 years.

Might not be the prettiest offense we've seen, but Newton leaned heavily on Smith last year, so odds r in Wayne's favor.

Should be fun to watch this new duo grow.

I doubt that it took a couple of years for teams to figure out they had to double Marvin Harrison. Teams already know that about Wayne and without Garcon on the other side of him it gives even more reason for teams to double him. Also Wayne is still an older WR starting on the backside of his career vs. Marvin Harrison who was just coming into his prime.

I doubt that it took a couple of years for teams to figure out they had to double Marvin Harrison. Teams already know that about Wayne and without Garcon on the other side of him it gives even more reason for teams to double him. Also Wayne is still an older WR starting on the backside of his career vs. Marvin Harrison who was just coming into his prime.

Very well put

But collie is coming into his prime and last year did him well health wise... Should be interesting.

The only problem is Collie needs to build a REPUTATION as a #2 rec. That being said, he could surprise DBs with his talent and have great year flying under the radar, but Wayne's productivity would still suffer

I see Collie having a good year. He reminds me of of Whalen, luck slot reciever in stanford, but better. Luck is gonna rely on Collie alot. Hes gonna have a good year. 850 yards and 7 tds atleast. Is Whalen draft eligible? Is so, we should consider using a 6th or 7th on him he looked really ood at stanford. Crisp routes and strong hands. Fights for more yarage. He might go udfa though, which would be good since we wont have to use a pick

Edited by Deadpool

The Broncos need to make a play for Collie. He was quickly becoming Mannings no. 1 target before they got seperated, it would've been fun to see how good they could have been.

I don't think we are shoping Collie and he's under contract to us so unless we want to trade him they can't make a play for him.

Agree with the statements of upgrading, and know career highs might be a stretch, but was just looking how a rookie Cam Newton revitialized Smith's career, I do see Reggie having a great year though.

Yes but Steve Smith had been playing with an average QB for a lot of years till he got Cam Newton. Reggie Wayne had been playing with Peyton Manning probably the best QB in the game till last year. While Wayne could have a better season than last I don't expect his numbers to surpass what he was doing with Manning.

Not been a rabid Reggie fan these past few years, but I respect the man. He may not have had many better offers, and his comments are what you expect from any player......but I liked what he's done and said nonetheless.

I think his numbers will be down, but he'll draw the DT's and give his team mates some space.

Go well Reggie

Reggie Wayne: ‘Colt for life’

8:08 PM, Mar. 14, 2012 | Written by Phillip B. Wilson | (Indy Star)Comments

Indianapolis Colts fan favorite Reggie Wayne summed up re-signing with the team succinctly.

“Colt for life,” the wide receiver said today in a media conference call. “I’m going to get that tattoo put on my back.”

Wayne gushed about being able to come back for three more years to the only NFL team he’s known in a standout 11-year career with five Pro Bowl selections.

“I’m not surprised. I knew as this last season was starting to wind down how tied to it I was already,” said Wayne, 33. “When we played our last home game here, we played the Houston Texans and we were able to be victorious against those guys who were humming at the time and well in the lead of the division going into the playoffs. I put everything into perspective before I stepped onto that field.

“It was an emotional time for for me, just sitting in front of my locker thinking about all of the previous years and how this could be the last hooray and yada, yada, yada. I opened a book. I never considered myself to be actually out of the chances of being back in Indy. I will tell you, it wasn’t high on the chain. I can tell you that. Then, with a lot of things going on and with moves being made, it made it even tougher for me to decide. As I sat back and thought about it, this is what it was and this is what it should be. I want to continue my journey here and keep taking the same trip to West 56th street. That’s all I know. I’ve been here 11 years and this is what it is. I bleed blue and I’m going to continue to do so.”

Wayne conceded other teams called and offered more money. But this decision was about being part of rebuilding the team’s foundation, helping a young quarterback (we’re all convinced will be Andrew Luck), and giving fans hope. He heard a lot of negative vibes from fans after the recent releases of QB Peyton Manning, TE Dallas Clark, LB Gary Brackett, RB Joseph Addai and S Melvin Bullitt.

“This is something I felt I had to do,” he said. “Let me tell you something, I’ve been in South Florida for the last week and a half to two weeks and I’ve been hearing some tough stories. I’ve been hearing some loud cries and I’m hearing it all the way down South. This is one good way of adding my two cents and turning some frowns upside down.”

His best line was to a question about how he could be returning to a challenging rebuild with so many cornerstone veterans gone.

“It’s not set in stone that we’re gonna suck,” he said. “Who knows, we might shock the world. This time next year, you might be writing that these Colts are some bad boys. I guess we’ll be in tune to find out what happens. Until then, I’m just going to sit here with the guys we have and keep working at it. Hopefully we can get something going real soon.”

I specifically asked about his devotion to the Colts meaning more than just money.

“It was,” he said. “There were a lot of things that were more important. You’re right, I could have made a couple of dollars more, a couple more pennies. But, I was fine with this situation that I’m in. There was a lot of stuff I had to think about and sit down.

“Right before I made my decision, I took 30 minutes and just closed myself in my office. I told my little 2-year-old, ‘Don’t come in here, daddy is about to negotiate your future.’ I just thought (about) what all made sense and put everything in perspective.”

In the end, Colts fans can be proud that Reg followed his heart.

“I feel like that was the right thing to do and to help build this process and to keep it going,” he said. “I actually had someone looking at my house on Saturday. I almost sold my house. Can you believe that? I almost sold my house and I had a guy who was real interested in buying my house. I’m glad I didn’t sell it.”

He's the man.

I think Reggie will have a solid season....something like 70 catches for 1100 yards and like 7 touchdowns. I do think Collie will have more catches if healthy..he is a perfect slot receiver and since most #1 or #2 cbs cover the outside it means he gets to work the slot corner who is typically not as talented. I liked when we put Reggie in the slot when we had Marvin and we moved him around. I think we might do that this year as well just to open it up for him and Luck.

I will say this....I really wonder if the team knew that Reggie was going to take less money to stay and basically play for such a small contract if they would have let Peyton go? Looking at the numbers if they thought they were going to get that type of discount if they might have said lets just keep Peyton and Reggie and traded that #1 pick and said lets just rebuild the defense instead of rebuilding the whole team. Just wondering.